All classes one race

jhern.6097

I don't play charr since their movement triggers my motion sickness. I also don't care for their size. The norn I play are as small as possible.

I've discovered since SoTO that skyscales also trigger my motion sickness. I had some trouble with it when mounts first came out, and the griffon has never bothered me, so I'm hoping I can get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I don't play charr since their movement triggers my motion sickness. I also don't care for their size. The norn I play are as small as possible.

I've discovered since SoTO that skyscales also trigger my motion sickness. I had some trouble with it when mounts first came out, and the griffon has never bothered me, so I'm hoping I can get used to it.

I wasn't expecting this.

I only have one character - a sylvari mesmer. If I ever bother with alts I'll just "clone" him. :)

I've tried the other races, getting them each to around level 30, but none of them clicked with me the same way for various reasons. Maybe the voice was meh, maybe the profession wasn't fun to me, maybe I didn't get into the character's lore/back story. 

• Like 1

Tried all of them at least for a bit, although I'm only keeping human characters.

Can't say I feel like I'm loosing on something important, the biggest thing that I'm probably missing on are the Hero achievements for completing the early stages of the personal story of other races. Which I will have to push through with burner characters eventually.

The reason for this, I'm a mainholic playing almost exclusively with my human engi. I'm so used to it that playing anything else actively impacts my ability to move precisely or engage in combat.

I have 5 Norn, 6 Sylvari, 4 Charr and 7 Humans. I don't play Asura. A long time ago I made one, finished the personal story achievements for Asura, then deleted the bugger back into oblivion. I dislike the Asura's supremacist ideology, their racial arrogance and misguided concept of superiority among the races of Tyria. I can tolerate Taimi and Gorrik because they got off their high horse and got down to help us and all of Tyria and because they lost those racial convictions (or at the very least dismiss them). Without the Asura we would still have old Lion's Arch. They enabled Scarlet to do everything she did. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." That about sums up the Asura.

I do like Zojja, though. Now that we've met up with her again and she shared her story with us it's nice to have one of them see clearly through the Asura's fundamental flaws. I was agreeing with everything she said throughout the SotO story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, jhern.6097 said:

I'm curious to know if those of you who only play one race or have that one race you refuse to play feel like you're missing out on anything. Things like special dialogue.

11 charrs, 10 males, one female.

Aside from that i have a norn and an asura. But they don't have much time on them.

I did before all the personal histories of all races, i think i missed one story quest option (not branch. only one instance), but thats it.

Looked back around two times, no point on other races if i don't like them.

I made at least one of each race, but after years of playing with them I don't like to play as asura. Asura are...weird. I had an asura engineer and an asura guardian. And they don't work right. The pistol animations for the asura engineer don't shoot straight, and that bothered me, so I made a human. The asura torch animations make your character fly off the ground like the Saturn V rocket, so I made a charr.

I do like the Asura. I like Rata Sum. But I don't want to be an Asura.

19 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Personally I play every race… But, I understand this sentiment completely… Charr are my least played race because of their size and movement… they don’t trigger motion sickness with me, but I can see how they could with others… for me its the fact that it is very hard to tell where they actually are standing… doing jumping puzzles I always overshoot or undershoot jumps because I can’t tell where their feet are going to land or thought they were at the edge when I jumped but they actually weren’t… in combat I can’t tell how close they are to an enemy and often when they look to be outside of an AoE they really aren’t… and any time there is a confined space their bulkiness makes it difficult to target enemies or tell whats going on around them…

Edited by Panda.1967
Typo

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

... for me its the fact that it is very hard to tell where they actually are standing… doing jumping puzzles I always overshoot or undershoot jumps because I can’t tell where there feet are going to land or thought they were at the edge when I jumped but they actually weren’t… in combat I can’t tell how close they are to an enemy and often when they look to be outside of an AoE they really aren’t… and any time there is a confined space their bulkiness makes it difficult to target enemies or tell whats going on around them…

My brother started as a charr and those are the exact reasons he switched to human and sylvari character.

• Like 1

I play human or norn, I have tried the others and did not like they way they moved.  I do have one asuran, but I built that character based on one of my cats, and she has since died, so I keep the asuran character.  As for missing out on special dialogue, I keep NPC dialogue volume at 0, so I would not really notice that.

The only race I don't have a char of is Norn, though I did their personal story and then deleted him (early personal story the only thing you'd miss out on). Male Norn models just aren't very appealing or cool looking to me, Norns look better in artwork than in-game. I got only 1 Charr/Asura, a handful of Sylvari, and a lot of Humans~ my main is Human cuz they make the best doggos (Shrine Guardian Ears). I used to main Sylvari but got tired of most armor not fitting Male ones properly and looking stretched/oversized.

♂ I have no female characters. ♂

Back when I cared about such things, I did the Charr and Asura stories for the achievement points.  Then I deleted those characters, as I dislike the look, movement and size of Charr and the Asura models and intellectual snobbery.  I have one Sylvari and maybe 5-6 Norn, plus 10-12 humans.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.  Regardless, the annoyance factor of playing Charr and Asura would outweigh such feelings, anyway.

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:07 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Wouldent hiding from papermakers be a more fitting name

By lore, slyvaris are made up of primarily vines and leaves. Although granted some of their faces and stuff defintly look tree like. 

But sylvari arise are omnivorous humanoid plants by description

Edited by Puck.3697

2 hours ago, Puck.3697 said:

By lore, slyvaris are made up of primarily vines and leaves. Although granted some of their faces and stuff defintly look tree like. 

But sylvari arise are omnivorous humanoid plants by description

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus

More fitting since yea vegans eat vines and leaves now?

News to me.

Edited by Linken.6345

26 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus

More fitting since yea vegans eat vines and leaves now?

News to me.

Lettuce is Leaves?

so is Cabbage?

and Choko and Malabar Spinach are both classified as vines 

so yes, yes they do. 

Kinda kills the joke when we have to get this deep into explaining it. 

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Like 1