Gyala Delve is a dead map [Merged]

Heibi.4251

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Gyala was/is some of the worst content Ive ever played in any game. Didn't go back for the second installment. If that is what the current development team considers good then I fear for the future of the game.

I think I've done the full thing only twice: Once on my Warrior, because it's my main, and once on my Renegade for experiencing it on modern profession design that is in line with how Arenanet designed the game in the recent years.

But neither experience was anywhere close to enjoyable. Even with Renegade being more efficient, it was still a boring slog.

In regards to long meta events, I'd rather repeat Dragon's Stand for the Xth time, than doing Gyala Delves again.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Futa.4375 said:

I find Gyala Delve's situation pretty suiting for an expansion as bad as EoD. And we were already in the new "expansion" system without even knowing it and we paid for... this.

We weren't in the new expansion system, since EOD came out all at once. Gyala was more like a transition from EoD to SoTo, since we have the same type of creature in Gyala as found in Soto.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Whenever I see a post like this I always wonder what I could possibly be doing so differently from other people that I can stumble upon a meta event unintentionally at 3 in the morning and have it succeed without a problem 

You could stumble across groups from other time zones and it's afternoon for them.

And if those groups are organized, they are more likely to succeed than 50 random people that simply are on the same map.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And if those groups are organized, they are more likely to succeed than 50 random people that simply are on the same map.

I think that’s the big thing; there are only a handful of metas that will routinely succeed without an organised group. Especially with a timed meta like Gyala Delve, if you don’t have a commander present from either the beginning or who tags up at least part-way through the first meta, it’s probably going to fail.

The commander advertising the group on LFG is also vital, because while 10 people are needed to start the meta, that’s way too few to finish it, especially as without a squad people are more likely to just disappear part-way through. There can easily be enough people in Gyala Delve who want to do the meta at any given time, but unless they were there at the start, odds are they’ve loaded into a fresh map, and won’t be able to join unless you’ve got something in LFG for them to switch maps.

That’s frankly the biggest problem here. The idea is clearly that a few people start the meta and others join as the map starts to fill up, but because the map system is so bad, the map actually starts to empty once the meta is running and very few people will load into the active map to join as intended.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Whenever I see a post like this I always wonder what I could possibly be doing so differently from other people that I can stumble upon a meta event unintentionally at 3 in the morning and have it succeed without a problem 

This right here. I've seen so many threads and comments throughout the years, stating that this meta or that meta is dead and people can't do the content anymore. I know of 1 meta that is dead, for very good reason: Serpent's Ire. Every other meta out there I can either run into a group that's doing it, or I can find a group on LFG. Even at odd times. For instance, I did the Amnytas meta this weekend at 6AM on a Sunday after randomly running into it and it went flawlessly. Not a time when you expect a lot of people online doing organized meta's. Triple Trouble always needs an organized group so LFG is the way to go there (I never randomly run into a group doing it successfully; it's always the 1 head thing). Other than that I never experience these meta problems that some people seem to run in to.

• Confused 4

On 10/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I think I've done the full thing only twice: Once on my Warrior, because it's my main, and once on my Renegade for experiencing it on modern profession design that is in line with how Arenanet designed the game in the recent years.

But neither experience was anywhere close to enjoyable. Even with Renegade being more efficient, it was still a boring slog.

I really think them moving the meta away from a once-a-day thing to an endlessly farmable meta is what killed it for a lot of players. I personally didn't enjoy it, but it was potentially good rewards once a day so I didn't mind running through it every couple of days. But then they made it farmable, which of course in turn meant they nerfed the rewards, and that's when it started to crumble.

Add on the fact that Part 2 of the meta is probably one of the worst meta experiences I've ever played through in the game, the meta itself went from being something that some people would do once a day and turned into something that many people actively avoid. It still amazes me that a meta like Dragon's End was followed up by Gyala Delves, but I think they were nervous about getting backlash like they did from DE.

And personally -- I have never liked vehicle/mount combat in metas. WoW learned this lesson years ago, though it seems with their new raid tier they are experimenting with it again in one of their boss fights. Make it a brief part of the event sure, but the tunnel/last boss being basically a turtle ride is just a joke. Amnytas has the same issue. If I'm playing my guardian or engie or whatever, I don't want to be riding on a mount and spamming a fireball, I want to play my class and push my buttons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gyala is the type of content to only be run if it is a good gph.

And normal people that wanna get good gph are just spamming labyrinth, be happy you found 20 people there. I haven't touched it since they added the last part of the meta and it was so bad i wasn't compelled to do map completion.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, difens.1326 said:

A lot of similar dead metas in the game. Haven't been able to complete Serpent's Ire for years, some unfinished collections are also tied to this one. Was hoping that Wizard's Vault would resurrect that content, but nope...

BPs do not do anything beneficial for a game, ever.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 10/21/2023 at 7:39 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

Lots of things are more dead during Halloween than they were a week ago though. Seems to me people are farming the labyrinth and it pulls people away from all over the game. That's what brainless gold will do to the population. It doesn't even have to be tons of gold. It's mindless, so people can farm it.

Gyala doesn't provide enough to compete, but it's done often enough. You not finding a group during the first week of Halloween doesn't make it a dead map.,  Shrugs.

This is denial that the game is actually declining in active users.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

It happens every year has happened every year since I can't remember when. How come you have a theory and it's true, but I have a theory and it's denial. You certainly don't have numbers any more than I do.

But I do know math. Every year more metas are added. More events are added, more content is added. We have two more strike missions, we have two more zones than we did six months ago, with reasons to do those zones. I know Halloween is popular by the number of LFGs for the lab and the number of full maps. That means fewer people spread among more events. And now we have the Wizard's Vault, which directs people to specific events, taking more of their time.

So why would people, during a festival, go to a less profitable meta more often. There are people in this thread saying they do it regularly and my wife does it pretty often herself, but I'm the one in denial. lol 

k mate. I'm in denial and you're right, with no evidence but your word.  That's not quite how it works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

This has happened to pretty much every Living World map so far. Definitely not a new development or "proof" the game is dying. What Anet should do is design better around this (don't lock over half the map up behind the meta when they know there won't be enough players to do it in a few months).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

This has happened to pretty much every Living World map so far. Definitely not a new development or "proof" the game is dying. What Anet should do is design better around this (don't lock over half the map up behind the meta when they know there won't be enough players to do it in a few months).

Which maps do they lock half the map up behind the meta? Just curious.

22 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Which maps do they lock half the map up behind the meta? Just curious.

Gyala - You can't get past the wall in the middle of the first half unless the meta's progressed past that point (which it never is whenever I go there).

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Confused 1

I have noticed that metas do show up in wizards vault weeklies, so that may be a way to get some players to do them (I haven't seen Gyala or any LWS maps show up in weeklies yet, but have seen PoF and HoT metas).  So maybe Anet is aware of the problem and trying to do something about it.

But there are so many metas now, that even one shows up every weeks, that could still be several months before the one you need for a collection or map completion or whatever shows up.  And since it is a weekly, there is also no guarantee that there will be enough people there at the time you play to do it.

I don't really know the best solution, but I feel something needs to be done.  It took my a long while before I could get Serpent's Ire done, which I needed for a collection.  There needs to be more incentive for the metas, less requirement to do them (alternative ways to do collections), or made easier or faster (depends on the what needs changing).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Gyala - You can't get past the wall in the middle of the first half unless the meta's progressed past that point (which it never is whenever I go there).

This is factually untrue. There is a way around it. I know this because I've complete that zone on 15 characters and most of them did it off meta. If you're on a US server I can show you how to get to the rest of the map.

Edited by Vayne.8563

On 10/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, Heibi.4251 said:

Just did the meta in Gyala Delve. Barely had 20 people. We were able to finish the first and second meta.  And once we finished the original metas we had fewer. The Third meta(Legendary Ravenous Wanderer) needs massive numbers. We failed miserably. Couldn't even get the boss to 75%. The fight does not scale at all. 

The main reason this angers me is because the third meta fight is tied to an achievement collection that can't be done anymore due to the map being a ghost town. Either make the fight scale or make the achievement count even on time failure.

It's been dead because people were mad about keys and how chests were getting opened. That was one of the best gold making maps at one point when it started and because of some of the most asinine complaints I've seen, it turned into a dead map because of SOME (not even the majority) people's complaints. I don't feel bad with this point, the initial frustration is just gone and so has a good way to make gold.