Why is Obsidian Shards or other materials not a currency to purchase Provisioner Tokens

What the title says. aside from Obsidian Shards also requesting to have more materials like Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite and Empyreal fragments as currency, 

Edit, sorry I wasn't being specific, in soto, there are many provisioner token venders who would take same item for token, Mithril Ore and Silk Scraps etc, I wish they would take Obsidian Shards too for more choices. 

Edit: Especially when the currency require to purchased the Tokens from the Researcher in Soto changes on a daily basis. 
Please add Obsidian Shards, Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite and Empyreal Fragments in the rotations.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

• SweetPotato.7456 changed the title to Why is Obsidian Shards or other materials not a currency to purchase Provisioner Tokens
29 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

There are faction vendors across Tyria, and in HoT maps. Obsidian shard I believe, can be traded in Black Citadel for provision token. Lion’s arch you can trade mystic forge stones and ecto for provision tokens on a daily limit too.

Correct, the Ash legion provisioner in the Black citadel will trade obsidian for tokens https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Provisioner_Token

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

To everyone who try to ridicule me by saying there is already a faction provisioner that takes obsidian shards as currency, let me ask you, why than are ecto also a currency for SOTO's Faction Provisioners? 

How do that have anything to do with eachother?

You do know that even core can give ectos for provisoner tokens right?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Provisioner_Token

Skritt Trader Lion's Arch 5  Glob of Ectoplasm

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

How do that have anything to do with eachother?

You do know that even core can give ectos for provisoner tokens right?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Provisioner_Token

Skritt Trader Lion's Arch 5  Glob of Ectoplasm

I mean people are quick to ridicule at every chance on this forum.
In Amnytas the Faction Provisioner takes different currency in exchange for the token everyday, I was thinking why Obsidian Shards (because i have abundance of these, instead of a way to use that, I am forced to use materials that are needed more in crafting to buy the tokens while the Obsidian Shards is taking up my bag/bank spaces) wasn't in the rotation, that is why I posted this tread, but I made a mistake of not mentioning soto.  So now I am asking these people who seem to think if other Provisioner already takes obsidian shards therefore I  can't make a post asking for it to be considered as one of the currency in Soto.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Confused 10

13 minutes ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

In Amnytas the Faction Provisioner takes different currency in exchange for the token everyday, I was thinking why Obsidian Shards (because i have abundance of these, instead of a way to use that, I am forced to use materials that are needed more in crafting to buy the tokens while the Obsidian Shards is taking up my bag/bank spaces) wasn't in the rotation, that is why I posted this tread, but I made a mistake of not mentioning soto.  So now I am asking these people who seem to think if other Provisioner already takes obsidian shards therefore I  can't make a post asking for it to be considered as one of the currency in Soto.

Well you can always delete them if you have to much thats what  I do when my material storage is full.

And yea I dont see ridicule in this tread just people informing that your wrong and giving you the correct information.

That you forgot to mention something in your OP is not  something they can know since they cant read your intent.

In my oppinon the added soto information make it  a better question and to answer that  is because they are worth less then the material you have to pay now and Anet want sinks for those and not obsidian shards.

And it seems to me you know they are worth less and therefore want to spend those on more provisioner tokens then 1 a day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Because that's the point. We all have abundance of Obsidian shards and if there were more traders or no limit, Provisioner Tokens would be practically free. Now you have a choice, either get them slowly for cheap or get them fast and expensive. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Because nowadays people are trained to have information being pushed to them rather than having to look it up themselves. A disturbing trend.

Thats just silly. If anything it's the other way around. In the past we either didn't have internet or later much guides on the net. The information was passed between players, exploration, social aspects even your own notes (yeah I had notes for old rpgs) were essential. If anything what we have now is lazy. Don't know the answer? Wiki it. In the past this would be considered cheating. And it also leads to lazy game design.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Because that's the point. We all have abundance of Obsidian shards and if there were more traders or no limit, Provisioner Tokens would be practically free. Now you have a choice, either get them slowly for cheap or get them fast and expensive. 

Silk scraps is 18 copper each, and I can buy abundance of those, doesn't mean the progress to get the token will be shorten, the Faction Provisioner still only sell you one each in SOTO, I want Obsidian Shards and those other ascended mats be use because I want to clear my bank space, instead of spending gold buying materials to get them, why not let me use what I already have abundance of  sitting in my bank, plus I do not want to delete my Obsidian Shards. Think of it like Dugan taking Emblem of the Avenger as currency. FYI: I can get 25 Tokens from Dugan a week, Adding Obsidian Shards is adding more choices, doesn't mean I or anyone can get them any faster, because it is still one token per Faction Porvisioner in SOTO. They aren't going to sell me extra if I use Obsidian Shards. 
PS: I do not want MORE Faction Provisioner, I want the existing Faction Provisioners to accept more materials as currency. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

To everyone who try to ridicule me by saying there is already a faction provisioner that takes obsidian shards as currency, let me ask you, why than are ecto also a currency for SOTO's Faction Provisioners? 

Nobody's ridiculing you by stating that fact. Ecto is a currency for that because it's not garbage tier, as opposed to obsidian shards. The only reason you want obsidian to be tradable there is because you know obsidian is garbage in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/31/2023 at 12:29 PM, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Thing is, people read the title and think it's just another one who can't be bothered to use google or the wiki. 

Because the title implies you want to be able to trade Obsi Shards for prov Tokens. Which you obviously can already. 

Meaning that people already come here with a certain mind set. 

Trying to set thing right or fighting the backlash only makes thing worse. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

1) I advise you to change your title for more clarity.

2) Since Ectos are available as a trade in the SotO vendors, then I agree, so too should Obsidian Shards.

Considering that all the materials on soto vendors can be bought on the trading post adding in a account bound one dont seem to fit.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:29 AM, SweetPotato.7456 said:

I was thinking why Obsidian Shards (because i have abundance of these, 

It is precisely because you have that abundance. I too am sitting on large (over 80 stacks) quantities of obsidian shards. Anet doesn't want me (or us) to be able to bypass the cost, opportunity or actual, that they have set for tokens. I am not saying that I either agree or disagree with their decision, but that is the reason. It is the same reason that new currencies are added with each expansion. They don't want stockpiled materials to excessively shorten the acquisition time for new rewards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Because nowadays people are trained to have information being pushed to them rather than having to look it up themselves. A disturbing trend.

From hating on the game for giving tips and trying to explain things over, because looking up player made guides is better 10 years ago to hating on the game for not explaining everything in immaculate details, because looking up player made guides is too much effort now.

Was fun reading the rants on MW3 that the game's manual was "too much"