Plot hole in SotO part 2 (Spoilers)

Denise.8145

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

this thread reminds me of why i stopped participating in lore threads despite that it was once my favorite thing to do here. there's a difference between discussion and debate, and when talking to other people you generally want to try and have discussions.

What is there to discuss with someone whose perspective is that there are too many powerful female characters?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The "true king" thing - I somehow noticed this a bit late. Seems it appears at the last fight of the meta and someone mentiond this in the thread. This could be a hint. If she really wanted to save/help her people (the Kryptis) it would be more important to put the focus on removing Eparch. Does not matter who later becomes king. (Or if then maybe another system of rulership was introduced.)

It could just have been for the fight though - to intimidate the other guy. An option would be ... that she wants to become king cause she thinks of herself as being the only one to be able to to good/right things when ruling. Where she slowly turns into something the other Kryptis consider evil ... later but not with evil intentions at the beginning.

In the end it might be okay as long as we can have a deal and the Kryptis do not attack Tyria anymore. (The usual thing in games is though ... that the heroes start to care for anyone and anything ... Wayfinder/Commander might as well start to also help oppressed Kryptis even if this would start to drag Tyrians into it and if they had a deal before it ... but some Kryptis came to the commander to ask for their help lol.)

18 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

this thread reminds me of why i stopped participating in lore threads despite that it was once my favorite thing to do here. there's a difference between discussion and debate, and when talking to other people you generally want to try and have discussions.

It's why I've had a tendency of disappearing from the lore forum for extended periods too. 

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1

I think an important thing to consider with demons is that what we knew in Guild Wars 1 was what Tyrian humans believed in Guild Wars 1. It makes sense that humans would believe demons were all evil, since the ones they've encountered are the ones that are invading, or who are in the service of evil gods. Those who are content to chill in their own realms... we just didn't meet.

Now, though, we are having the opportunity to engage with emotion-eating demons in their own environment. Turns out that the emotions they need don't have to be negative ones. Turns out also that there's a mechanism through which emotions naturally flow to Nayos so they don't need to leave Nayos to survive... unless, that is, a power-hungry overlord has seized control, redirected that flow to himself alone, and is forcing the Kryptis to go elsewhere for sustenance. Tyrians assume demons are naturally malevolent because those that aren't aggressive generally stayed in their own realms, and those that didn't were mostly seen as exceptional individuals.

When you travel in the Mists, though, the difference between 'demon' and 'mists entity' might be comparable to the difference between a Modniir and a Dry Top centaur... but which is the average Krytan more likely to encounter?

It's a lot easier to explain than, say, the asura finding five more days in the year behind the couch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

The "true king" thing - I somehow noticed this a bit late. Seems it appears at the last fight of the meta and someone mentiond this in the thread. This could be a hint. If she really wanted to save/help her people (the Kryptis) it would be more important to put the focus on removing Eparch. Does not matter who later becomes king. (Or if then maybe another system of rulership was introduced.)

It could just have been for the fight though - to intimidate the other guy. An option would be ... that she wants to become king cause she thinks of herself as being the only one to be able to to good/right things when ruling. Where she slowly turns into something the other Kryptis consider evil ... later but not with evil intentions at the beginning.

In the end it might be okay as long as we can have a deal and the Kryptis do not attack Tyria anymore. (The usual thing in games is though ... that the heroes start to care for anyone and anything ... Wayfinder/Commander might as well start to also help oppressed Kryptis even if this would start to drag Tyrians into it and if they had a deal before it ... but some Kryptis came to the commander to ask for their help lol.)

I read that as part of the Kryptis structure of society. She is the one "Noble/royal" who is fighting for the people, and not for Eparch who hurts the people. So she's calling herself the one true King because She considers herself the only royal who wants the Throne not to devour those beneath her.

Captain Farrus in the astral ward camp provides some extra details.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Confused 2

On 11/10/2023 at 8:11 PM, mandala.8507 said:

This is an oversimplification of what that scene demonstrated for us.

1. It showed that the Kryptis are incredibly scared of breaking with Eparch or fighting back, both with Irja leaving our camp and finding herself in Heitor's clutches and with Heitor still remaining loyal to Eparch instead of joining Peitha in her quest to overthrow him; even if it meant us striking her down right then and there. Heitor hints at things having gotten even worse at the castle since Peitha fled, and it seems like even those closest to Eparch are being forced to eat or be eaten. Be of use or be consumed, basically. Some of the extra lore around the place I think also suggests that Heitor stationed herself out here as a means to escape the situation at the castle, which must be truly dire. The barrier was apparently constructed to keep the remaining Kryptis trapped inside. She'd rather kill her own or die trying than have to go back there, and she doesn't think Peitha will succeed in her plan to overthrow the Midnight King.

2. It demonstrated how the Kryptis are consuming one another for power. As Heitor devoured Irja, she gained lots of boons and the story journal described her as becoming a much truer threat once she'd done so. And this was just the power taken from a weak nothing like Irja. Imagine the strength of a being consuming those with actual potential. Something to keep in mind as we move deeper into Nayos and encounter beings who've been feeding off Kryptis of true merit.

3. It showed the compassion Peitha and Ramses have for their kin, both by their distress when Irja was consumed, but also by their attempts to initially win Heitor over despite her flaws and inherent cruelty. Even after she consumes poor Irja, they plead with her to reconsider and join them on another path forward for their people. Peitha attempts to brush off the emotions rising within her after slaying Heitor, but through Ramses and our own interactions with her after suggesting she's so clear-minded about all this, we're given a glimpse at Peitha and her allies' inner confliction.

Any player operating under the assumption Peitha's not to be trusted at this point is probably doomed to misunderstand the story as it moves forward. Peitha and her motivations are clearly good, and the Commander knew this before they ever stepped foot in Nayos with her. But whether or not she can keep her resolve and follow through to the end of this coup is a different question altogether. She has deep ties to all the players involved, and the labels "hero" and "villain" probably feel entirely inadequate and binary to her in this moment. Peitha likely views Heitor ultimately as a victim; too scared and weak to fight back against her father, and her evil acts being a consequence of that. Despite the horrors she's witnessing, she's still struggling to see them solely as the enemy. It's not so black and white for her as it is for us.

They did do this, though? That's the entire premise of the open world for this part of the map. This is Heitor's domain and she's been pushing Peitha's rebellion back from here and eating disloyal stragglers.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a slow reader, but I'm pretty sure you spent more time on this write up than ANet did on this story episode.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, Omega.6801 said:

On the question raised in the OP: Yes it is explained but also yes, it's a cheap, forced emotional moment. I actually chuckled when the game made my character go "No, not Irja!!! Now it's personal!". It shows that the writers not really understand how creating a emotional moment by way of character death works. I see what thy were going for, but it felt rushed and therefor had no impact.

Much like Mabon, in fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Much like Mabon, in fact.

Jup, much like that. They play it as if our characters cared for the dead when in fact we met them like 3 days ago. Sure, when someone dies and we know they were loved, and we might even know ppl who loved them, we may have compassion. But that usually doesn't play out the way it's shown in the game. If you want for us to care about the death of a character, we need to get to know them. Being told how awesome they were is not enough, we need to experience it. Show don't tell. And if you don't have the time to show, don't bother telling and find another story to tell within the given timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, stormemperor.3745 said:

I can answer this. According to Oneiros-Spun Armor no, she is not naked. 

Though it is an interesting detail between her and Heitor vs Cerus or Deimos, who both wear distinctly obvious pants, while Heitor and Peitha's outfits are almost like Sylvari plant-clothing/armor, which can easily appear to be part of their own bodies.

I don't even know what to think about the story in this expansion. It is in great part a loosely tied together series of infodumps containing wizard and kryptis technobabble that may or may not have anything to do with what is going on around us at the time.

We have the very thinnest of excuses for even being here and being accepted as the new Wayfinder.

We hide information about a possible kryptis infection of our mind, then bring said kryptis into the heart of the Astral Ward where she proceeds to tell us we need to help her in Nayos where we then go with little preparation because the kryptis can open rifts to the Tower.

We question the first non-Peitha kryptis we meet about "dreams" though we have zero reason to do so.

We rescue a single frightened kryptis who apparently managed to cause a "disturbance" which could be detected even with all the other madness going on in the zone, then that kryptis is immediately sacrificed to the "because the plot said so" gods...

Truthfully, this whole expansion feels like a compressed, cut up Living World season that should have tied more closely to Gayala Delve and had a more natural flow from there, leading to the actual Nayos/demon expansion next year.

I am really hoping this is just a learning curve ANet is going through and they get it together for the next "expansion". I'll happily pay for shorter content, but if it is all going to look like the frantic scribbling of ideas on a whiteboard rather than a crafted experience, I just don't know.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

We hide information about a possible kryptis infection of our mind, then bring said kryptis into the heart of the Astral Ward where she proceeds to tell us we need to help her in Nayos where we then go with little preparation because the kryptis can open rifts to the Tower.

We quite literally mention hearing voices, get checked out and cleared that we are not possessed in any way.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

We quite literally mention hearing voices, get checked out and cleared that we are not possessed in any way.

It is mentioned briefly when we are first checked out upon arrival in Skywatch. When it is just a whisper. Well before you put a name to Peitha, well before she starts giving you information about the threat, well before she starts telling you not to trust with wizards enough to tell them about her.

We had many opportunities to tell them and we covered it up each time.

If all that is covered by one offhand remark by an unnamed medic about "So long as it's not telling you to murder anybody"...well, ok then. Maybe I was setting the bar too high. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, Omega.6801 said:

Jup, much like that. They play it as if our characters cared for the dead when in fact we met them like 3 days ago. Sure, when someone dies and we know they were loved, and we might even know ppl who loved them, we may have compassion. But that usually doesn't play out the way it's shown in the game. If you want for us to care about the death of a character, we need to get to know them. Being told how awesome they were is not enough, we need to experience it. Show don't tell. And if you don't have the time to show, don't bother telling and find another story to tell within the given timeframe.

Oh, I think Mabon still had much, much more impact than Irja (which says more about Irja than Mabon). We didn't spend much time with Mabon, but we had a lot of opportunity beforehand to understand that he was important to the Astral Ward, to Zojja, and was also significant by the fact of being the last survivor of the Tyrian mursaat and having millennia of knowledge that is now... not entirely gone, as he left records behind, but those records may be incomplete and will certainly lack the completeness and authenticity of being able to talk to someone who was actually there. I don't think losing Mabon was supposed to be a shock because the PC had known them for a couple of weeks (supposedly, SotO results in the PC being "off the grid" for weeks, even if it feels like a few days at most) but because it was apparent how important he was to our friends and allies.

Irja, though? One random terrified Kryptis with whom we have a few minutes of forced dialogue, wanders off in the next instance, and dies in the instance after that. If you don't get distracted by events, it's a matter of minutes. There's no indication that Irja has any importance beyond being food for Heitor, and if the intent was to shock us with how callous Eparch's higher-ranking followers have become, it would have been more effective for Heitor to pull an Iberu and eat her own forces for a mid-battle powerup.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

It is mentioned briefly when we are first checked out upon arrival in Skywatch. When it is just a whisper. Well before you put a name to Peitha, well before she starts giving you information about the threat, well before she starts telling you not to trust with wizards enough to tell them about her.

We had many opportunities to tell them and we covered it up each time.

If all that is covered by one offhand remark by an unnamed medic about "So long as it's not telling you to murder anybody"...well, ok then. Maybe I was setting the bar too high. 🤔

We literally go to a medical checkup per Astral Ward's wants. we tell them "We've been hearing voices." They go "That's happened a bit with mist travel, here, let me scan you and check if you are showing any signs of possession." And you come across as clean, with a tiny bit of lingering essence of Nayos. They tell you to be concerned/mention it again if the voice starts trying to make you violent. Peitha NEVER encourages violence against your allies, and does nothing harmful.

I'd point out Mabon outright revealed he was being influenced in the same way and the Wizards didn't smack him. Also the Kodan library head in Bastion of knowledge literally and openly starts interrogating a Kryptis in her head during the meta-event, calling it "louse". Nobody reacts to that besides Peitha.

Honestly this feels like a case of people trying to make a plot hole when there isn't one, as Peitha never does anything harmful toward the commander (The only line I can think of is her snarling at the Kryptis ambush trying to use Gorrik as a lure "Nobody will possesses the Commander besides ME"). And when we "Bring her into the tower" It's because she's helping us escape Nayos by opening a rift home AND helping us take Isgarren back. We aren't just "hehehe, Kryptis lord into our house" She provides the escape vector. And WE don't defend her, ISGARREN DOES.  

Isgarren: I...do not want to see this place in ruins over something petty.

And we offer to go help her after she talks to Isgarren and they work out things. 

4 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Oh, I think Mabon still had much, much more impact than Irja (which says more about Irja than Mabon). We didn't spend much time with Mabon, but we had a lot of opportunity beforehand to understand that he was important to the Astral Ward, to Zojja, and was also significant by the fact of being the last survivor of the Tyrian mursaat and having millennia of knowledge that is now... not entirely gone, as he left records behind, but those records may be incomplete and will certainly lack the completeness and authenticity of being able to talk to someone who was actually there. I don't think losing Mabon was supposed to be a shock because the PC had known them for a couple of weeks (supposedly, SotO results in the PC being "off the grid" for weeks, even if it feels like a few days at most) but because it was apparent how important he was to our friends and allies.

Irja, though? One random terrified Kryptis with whom we have a few minutes of forced dialogue, wanders off in the next instance, and dies in the instance after that. If you don't get distracted by events, it's a matter of minutes. There's no indication that Irja has any importance beyond being food for Heitor, and if the intent was to shock us with how callous Eparch's higher-ranking followers have become, it would have been more effective for Heitor to pull an Iberu and eat her own forces for a mid-battle powerup.

Honestly I feel people are treating Irja as if she's supposed to be far more important to the PC (and more importantly, the players) then she is. She's meant to show us that there are Kryptis terrified of both Eparch, but also us to a large degree. It's to show us (that we hadn't seen before) that Eparch and his forces ARE using the non-combatant Kryptis as a food source, which Peitha told us about but we hadn't seen before.

All she is there to do is show us that there are "civilian/neutral" Kryptis not on either side, and that they are prey to Eparch and his highest generals. That there are people to save, or convince to join us.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

It could be hinting at the enigmatic Nephus who is mentioned in a few lore books and dialogues in Inner Nayos. Ambient dialogue and texts suggest that Eparch and Queen Labris potentially are the Nephus trio of siblings' uncle and aunt, while Nephus is some kind of folk hero who the Kryptis are very divided on (some revere Nephus, some react with anger when the name is mentioned). If Nephus is in fact Eparch's sibling, and Peitha, Cerus, and Deimos are Nephus's children, we could be looking at Eparch possibly being an usurper and the "true" king was supposed to be Nephus (even if Eparch was really the person who, as far as we know so far, established the rigid caste society among Kryptis). In that sense Peitha, as an heir to Nephus (if there's a relation due to the house bearing Nephus's name), could thus be the "true king" for real. 🙂

On 11/18/2023 at 6:21 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Now, though, we are having the opportunity to engage with emotion-eating demons in their own environment. Turns out that the emotions they need don't have to be negative ones. Turns out also that there's a mechanism through which emotions naturally flow to Nayos so they don't need to leave Nayos to survive... unless, that is, a power-hungry overlord has seized control, redirected that flow to himself alone, and is forcing the Kryptis to go elsewhere for sustenance. Tyrians assume demons are naturally malevolent because those that aren't aggressive generally stayed in their own realms, and those that didn't were mostly seen as exceptional individuals.

When you travel in the Mists, though, the difference between 'demon' and 'mists entity' might be comparable to the difference between a Modniir and a Dry Top centaur... but which is the average Krytan more likely to encounter?

It's a lot easier to explain than, say, the asura finding five more days in the year behind the couch.

The one oddity I wish the writers would explain is why the Ravenous Wanderer of Gyala Delve (an oni presumably formed from Captain Thess based on how his human version's looks in the first phase of the Gyala boss battle resemble Thess from Silent Surf fractal) who is suggested to be a wanderer not tied to Eparch, aka the unaligned Kryptis we meet in various events in Inner Nayos, could be hurt by positive emotions but Kryptis seen in SotO feast on both negative and positive emotions alike. Does it have something to do with the Wanderer potentially being a transformed human and thus not a pureblood Kryptis, so that mixed heritage background creates a weakness for this impure demon, or could there be another reason?

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The curious thing here is that if Mabon, Glint or anyone else's information is so crucial, why don't we just use powerful necromancers in the Astral Ward (Livia, for example) to summon their ghosts from the Underworld or whatever afterlife they've been sent to? If Priestess Rhie could summon Alastia Crow, a pirate she hadn't known before, or how the norn spiritcaller Lefsi Spiritchaser could summon Gwen's mom for a favor to give Gwen emotional closure, and the only potential danger in these rituals is that it may attract some nightmares to disrupt the summoning, surely it should be child's play to summon Mabon back even if we had to anchor him to one of his darling items (even if as a ghost he wouldn't be able to linger for long) and ask for pointers while we have a few Astral Ward on guard to handle any hostile stragglers that may emerge to cause trouble. Perhaps Glint, due to her prophetic abilities, might also know something useful that we could use in this conflict.

Edited by Kossage.9072
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kossage.9072 said:

The one oddity I wish the writers would explain is why the Ravenous Wanderer of Gyala Delve (an oni presumably formed from Captain Thess based on how his human version's looks in the first phase of the Gyala boss battle resemble Thess from Silent Surf fractal) who is suggested to be a wanderer not tied to Eparch, aka the unaligned Kryptis we meet in various events in Inner Nayos, could be hurt by positive emotions but Kryptis seen in SotO feast on both negative and positive emotions alike. Does it have something to do with the Wanderer potentially being a transformed human and thus not a pureblood Kryptis, so that mixed heritage background creates a weakness for this impure demon, or could there be another reason?

Could be something like an allergy. Oni apparently come from Kanaxai, who feasted on the horrors of the Jade Wind. It could be that because Kanaxai stayed on Tyria, that feasting let him form people into Oni, and the sheer fountain of that negative emotions/horror that they were based from made anything positive as a harmful thing. Or it could just be that the way we utilized the emotions in the fight was harmful. Like Bob can eat shrimp but shoving large chunks of shrimp down his throat isn't comfortable.  I lean more toward the former though. They became specialized on feasting on negative emotions and flesh, and eventually lost the ability to really handle positive emotions.

2 hours ago, Kossage.9072 said:

The curious thing here is that if Mabon, Glint or anyone else's information is so crucial, why don't we just use powerful necromancers in the Astral Ward (Livia, for example) to summon their ghosts from the Underworld or whatever afterlife they've been sent to? If Priestess Rhie could summon Alastia Crow, a pirate she hadn't known before, or how the norn spiritcaller Lefsi Spiritchaser could summon Gwen's mom for a favor to give Gwen emotional closure, and the only potential danger in these rituals is that it may attract some nightmares to disrupt the summoning, surely it should be child's play to summon Mabon back even if we had to anchor him to one of his darling items (even if as a ghost he wouldn't be able to linger for long) and ask for pointers while we have a few Astral Ward on guard to handle any hostile stragglers that may emerge to cause trouble. Perhaps Glint, due to her prophetic abilities, might also know something useful that we could use in this conflict.

I think perhaps it relates to how such rituals became harder to perform as time went on, and thus became rarer. It could also be a facet of respect for the dead. They don't want to yank back a spirit to Tyria if they don't absolutely have to. Given how the Astral Ward has been handling things on Tyria side, and we already have natives on our side on Nayos, there isn't an immediate reason to disturb Mabon. It could also be because (given they eat emotions/magic) they don't want to risk anything happening to the spirit. 

• Confused 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, Kossage.9072 said:

They establish at the end of EoD that the Kralk bloodline prophetic powers were tied to the previous dragon cycle. Beyond that, they can no longer see. So Glint's not going to be much help anymore as far as the future is concerned.

And the reason they don't use necromancer shenanigans to prevent death from mattering is: "because it's silly and we don't wanna".

The community complains ENDLESSLY whenever they do it, so we shouldn't even be asking why they don't. It's because it's silly and no one wants that when it's done trivially.

They could explain it away with a quick, "Well...death magic is tricky and not completely understood. Sometimes these things simply don't work as intended, so it's best to leave the dead to their rest; especially those of great magical ability" or whatever. Bam. Whatever excuse floats your boat. But it's ultimately: "because it's silly and we don't wanna".