Daily/lengedary mats are a bad decision

I think its really gross that anet has decided to give out a ton of mats for gen 1 legendaries as part of the dailies.  It really devalues what people have, especially veteran players.  Why couldn't you guys just make a new set of legendaries that were easier to make or something and make those components/mats given out with the dailies?  That way the old legendaries that we all worked hard to get arent de-valued. 

If you had released a new set of weapons/legendaries and given out the mats to make 1/3 or 1/2 of them as you did the gen 1 legendaries, my opinion would have literally shifted from, "I really hate this" to, "Thats pretty cool, I like this."

Feels like an insult to longtime players. 

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 44
  • Sad 3

It does and it doesn't. I guess it depends on how individual player feels. I mean I'd love to see The Dreamer in this pack as I kind of like it but always had something else to spend gold on. But also feel kinda wierd when after crafting my Predator i see much of the progress given for free.

It's one of this things where You have to say, it's their game, their decision to make, this time it sucks for me.

It is perfectly fine to feel this way tho. My way of dealing with this feeling is getting another nice thing I can brag about. I am happy coz I have the new shiny, anet is happy coz I play the game. Cheer up and get this new strike CM infusion. Maybe it will make You feel better. ^^

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Look at it like this: you shouldn't care what others have, it's more convenient for everyone so also for you. I have many legendaries and tbh it's all about utility. The legendary skin becomes boring over the years and we have many non legendaries skins that looks so cool as well. So I believe leggies are more about QoL that the look itself tbh. When your gear will be everything at legendary level you will understand this. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Many said the same thing when the "free" raptor was given out.  Same thing with the SotO skyscale acquisition.  Anet doesn't care for the value of things past.  They use these as incentives for new players, hoping that they will spend money or at least be more involved with the game to shore up the number of players on-line statistics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Why couldn't you guys just make a new set of legendaries that were easier to make

Feels like this would be a way bigger slap in the face to old players than what you're complaining about. You're comparing the legendary starter kit, which has like 50% of one legendary in it, to creating an ENTIRE SET of cheaper legendaries permanently?

There would be sooooooo much more backlash from doing that. I've been playing this game for 10 years, and I could care less about the starter kit. If anything it just gives me an opportunity to make easy gold from a cheaper legendary craft.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I have my legendary weapons.  I don't mind getting precursors or mats that I may never make...I even have a Dawn in my bank that was a drop from mobs that I'll probably never craft.  I have my fun with using them and crafting them.  I could care less how other players get a Gen 1, whether they swipe a card and buy gold, or craft it from scratch, or get a jump start on it from the vault.  It.  Does.  Not.  Effect.  My.  Enjoyment.  Of.  The.  Game.  

Misplaced outrage, imo.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

I dont feel insulted. Legendaries don't have the same valuie as they did 10 years ago since so many players have them. I have a few leggies and this just makes it easier to make more. And to get that double leggy achievement as well.

At this point in the game's life, it is a good thing

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Still a lot of clovers and map completion (driving players back to core open world areas). I see the legendary starter kits as a net positive because they encourage more interaction with the game (map completion, collection of clovers, etc.).

That's not to say I don't get where you're coming from, but honestly with stuff like gen 1 leggies, they could always be "swiped for" by just converting gems to gold and buying them off the TP. They never really were "prestige" items. Armor and trinkets are the only real prestige leggy items, and an argument can maybe be made for some gen 2 weapons. In GW2, expensive doesn't necessarily mean difficult, and if it is challenging that is a self-set challenge (which is also great!). There needs to be actual in-game achievements on an account bound item for it to be "prestige" in my opinion. I think the trend towards cheaper gen 1 and cheaper/easier gen 3 weapons (with account-bound achievements) was to allow more access to their utility and to encourage players who may just swipe for their legendary to have a carrot dangle of a "half completed legendary" to interact with the game's content that they may not otherwise bother with.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If you already have the legendaries yourself, you can make more and sell them for gold, so you're still ahead of the game.  Also, removing the dungeon currency from the equation has motivated more casual players to actually consider working on them, which gets more players back into Core Tyria, which has been pretty dead since all the new expansions have come out and they don't want new players to think they are getting into a dying game.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I just dont like that they're handing bis gear for dailies as a participation reward. 

I dont know, it just goes against principles of what a game is. Kill the toughest boss, get the best gear. Might aswell completely remove gear as it is, use spvp like amulets for stats and just keep skins as rewards.

Would make more sense than getting acended for daily while strike boss drops 2 rares.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

If you already have the legendaries yourself, you can make more and sell them for gold, so you're still ahead of the game.  Also, removing the dungeon currency from the equation has motivated more casual players to actually consider working on them, which gets more players back into Core Tyria, which has been pretty dead since all the new expansions have come out and they don't want new players to think they are getting into a dying game.

Yah you can make gold (although its relative because now everyone is making the same gold off the free legendary mats), but it devalues the item itself.  If you enjoy wearing/showing off gen 1 legendaries, they're about as prestigious/common as a green at this point, because they are so easy to obtain now.  Thus the item is de-valued at the expense of people who are most likey to have them ie - veterans.

A new set of legendaries would have made the entire issue not an issue.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Yah you can make gold (although its relative because now everyone is making the same gold off the free legendary mats), but it devalues the item itself.  If you enjoy wearing/showing off gen 1 legendaries, they're about as prestigious as a green at this point, because they are so easy to obtain now.  Thus the item is de-valued at the expense of people who are most likey to have them ie - veterans.

A new set of legendaries would have made the entire issue not an issue.

You're the only one who considers them devalued as far as we can all see

You're genuinely outraged about getting free stuff for no real reason

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Look at it like this: you shouldn't care what others have, it's more convenient for everyone so also for you. I have many legendaries and tbh it's all about utility. The legendary skin becomes boring over the years and we have many non legendaries skins that looks so cool as well. So I believe leggies are more about QoL that the look itself tbh. When your gear will be everything at legendary level you will understand this. 

well fashion wars and expensive infusions would disagree with your logic, as does anets business model of monotizing those things.  Rare/exclusive gear has always been the draw of many players in mmorpgs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

I don't know, but I suspect, that ANet demographics show that a raft of people have gotten lots of gen 1 legendary weapons.  I also suspect that those demographics show that the making of G1's has been slowing down, perhaps dramatically.  Putting what amounts to a leg-up  to making one in the Vault would then be a means to entice the hold-outs to make one, or the others who don't have the few whose precursor is given to make one.  Since Legendary weapons were always meant to be a time sink (and thus a play sink), giving someone a head start as a means to getting them engaged with that system makes sense.

I can understand the MMO player mentality of rare-item-equals-prestige.  I think it's kind of a shame, though, when that prestige comes not from completing elite content, but rather from a farming slog.  While that kind of commitment to certain RL achievements would earn my admiration, I am not going to think the same way about POP achievements (Pursuit of Pixels).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As a hardcore casual WVW player who's been playing since the beginning, I actually like the Crafting kits. I was probably sitting on a stack of Mystic Clovers and didn't really have any plans on crafting Legendaries because they were too expensive. Personally, I understand your want for exclusivity and prestige, but Gen 1s have been out for what, 10+ years now? Let other people enjoy them. And it's not like they're giving them out for free, they still take upwards of 500+ gold, 200+ spirit shards, 1 Gift of Battle, 1 Gift of Exploration to craft unless you get really lucky.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Look at it like this: you shouldn't care what others have, it's more convenient for everyone so also for you.

He already made a thread about it before, and in it admitted he made a fortune on selling legendaries, and now is afraid he will be earning less. And he's not willing to adjust to changing economic situation and would rather demand that the market adjusted to him.

Personally i don't feel much sympathy for this way of thinking, but that might be just me.

Edit: i remembered wrong: he claimed to have made a fortune on selling ascended components, and is afraid demand for those will go lower if people will have legendaries. The rest remains the same though.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

He already made a thread about it before, and in it admitted he made a fortune on selling legendaries, and now is afraid he will be earning less.

and if i wear the gen1 legendary whats the point of it now, since its a cheap item that everyone has the prestige uniqueness/exclusivity has been undercut/destroyed.  I mean with the logic of this thread, why not de-value all items? why do i feel like that would upset everyone?  Lets just de-value raid items/legendary armor/all legendary gen weapons.  All infusions, especially the really expensive ones (chak,enchanted music box) lets make them all around 1k gold or less.  Im sure everyone would be cool with that right? its just a game you know, its supposed to be a fun social time, because, apparently nobody plays the game for any other reasons besides what you say.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1