gift of battle

Dangerous War.9621

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

For what its worth, Ive seen many PvEers say that they like doing world comp. I know players that have dozens more GoE than they will ever need because map completion is their favorite part of the game.

I dont understand it either, but they exist.

Map completion can be fun if it didn't involve Hearts. Which is bascially HoT, but I also liked the Orr maps. Back then, they also gave decent rewards but crafting mats are w/e now.  But WvW at that time was a gold sink so those were desperate times.

Like going around getting POIs, finding hidden nooks, and killing skill point challenges is pretty decent. Standing in a  (badly) designed circle doing boring chores is not. Some hearts are paired with events which makes them fine but some have awful respawn rates. And sometimes the boundaries are badly defined.

And there's only so much you can do to speed it up as a result, just due to the sheer amount of nonsense you have to do. "Speedrun" being 7 hours is extremely meh since most of us aren't in  a position to do such a thing. Incidentally I also claimed something similar about reward tracks and they did speed it up.

This will be my 2nd and last central Tyria map compleition, probably be 2025 when that's over with. It took me about 7 years for the first one so there is no speedrunning here.

And all and all, I think if one reads the many examples, they will definitely realize that buying is often the better option just because of the difficulty of putting it all together in a organized fashion. And especially for those that struggle with various parts of it.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

Would somebody really be mad if we access GoB and GoE through other methods?

PvE players don’t have to play wvw

and wvw players don’t have to do hearts.

not advocating for this change but make them interchangeable. Let me sell a GoB for another Gift on a vendor (all the gifts even, like gift of wood or whatnot cause i for example hate proffessions like tailoring n stuff)… maybe even do it on a ratio like… you need 4 GoB for 1 GoE since getting a GoE takes waaayy longer than GoB.

I've said before that hearts really should just be simple tasks to start/force an event to begin. Say the kill wurms in fiels in Queensdale, kill 5 wurms to spawn the event to kill the big wurm.

This would also encourage the actual MMO aspect of the game, as the majority of players probably can't do the majority of events solo.

----

The problem with exchanges for Gifts is that the devs clearly wanted Legendaries to be something you played all the game to get. It's supposed to be both the journey and the reward for doing "everything" the game has to offer. (Or buy on TP...)

Going back and changing that now, would likely cause more problems that it would solve (by player feedback and devalue), even if ANet was willing to change it or think there was any merit to it.

There's already the option to buy legendaries on the TP, and there's been enough grumbling about that over the years, as players are frustrated that they put in time and effort to get a legendary and someone else just bought theirs of TP etc. And in general I think just buying the legendary off the TP is superior to messing around with swapping Gifts, that's just a more roundabout way of accomplishing mostly the same goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

The problem with exchanges for Gifts is that the devs clearly wanted Legendaries to be something you played all the game to get. It's supposed to be both the journey and the reward for doing "everything" the game has to offer. (Or buy on TP...)

I know and i personally accept that.

if i really want a legendary i simply power through map completion or whatever and just do it. But i wouldn’t mind interchanging things.

it‘s the same with skyscale. You want it? Do what it takes and work for it. Once you have it, it feels very good, better than just…. Buying it in the gemstore or some nonsense.

I certainly wouldn't mind if there was other ways to get GoB and GoE (whether that be an exchange of them, available on the TP, or just some currency)

A lot of players feel like getting legendaries should be be painful, like that is part of the process.  But then they also point out you can just buy them, so don't need to do that painful process.  That seems odd to me - I personally make no assumptions how someone else got their legendaries, nor do I care.   Maybe that person over their farmed every scale, and did everything to get it without even using the TP.  Or maybe they swiped their credit card, bought a bunch of gems, converted them to gold, and bought it off the TP.  It doesn't make a difference to me how that other person got their legendary.

I just think making players play game modes they do not enjoy is just not good for the game - it is more likely to make players quit playing the game (which is good for no one, except maybe that player).  It is one of many reasons I would not suggest my friends or others play GW2 and instead play a game that values their time better.

But Anet did provide an alternative, at least for legendary weapons: save your gold, sell the materials you might use to craft a legendary, and buy it off the TP.

Armor, you have to commit to a game mode: raid, wvw, or pvp. No way around working for those. (PvE version soon... but you may not like the grind...)

Trinkets, I feel are the least needed legendaries. Farming unbound magic and the map currencies is so easy, just the gathering tools and home instance get me more than enough for any that I need.

2 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

A lot of players feel like getting legendaries should be be painful, like that is part of the process.  But then they also point out you can just buy them, so don't need to do that painful process.  That seems odd to me - I personally make no assumptions how someone else got their legendaries, nor do I care. 

Normally I don't care. Until they start complaining and decided voluntarily to go on the path of pain, and then they want to change the game to suit themselves. And maybe people just enjoy torturing themselves. I just don't see that as worthy of discussion.

If someone wants to change the game over a 0% efficiency increase because they are lazy/too braindead, I'm sure they have many terrible ideas regarding things that do actually matter.

Until then, I will continue to state that bashing one's head against a wall and treating a game like a job is not a good idea. It doesn't affect me at all if they want to keep doing it.

• Like 2

Everyone rejoice! Anet decided that pushing buttons is no longer required to succeed Now you can just farm gold in peace in pve and not worry about being thrown out of every instance anymore. Well, actually pretty sure people will find a way, but this is about as close as it gets. There's absolutely no reason to play a game mode you don't like for 4 hours.

Now witness peak gw2 folks. And please leave my game mode alone.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:37 AM, CafPow.1542 said:

Would somebody really be mad if we access GoB and GoE through other methods?

PvE players don’t have to play wvw

and wvw players don’t have to do hearts.

not advocating for this change but make them interchangeable. Let me sell a GoB for another Gift on a vendor (all the gifts even, like gift of wood or whatnot cause i for example hate proffessions like tailoring n stuff)… maybe even do it on a ratio like… you need 4 GoB for 1 GoE since getting a GoE takes waaayy longer than GoB.

No solutions like this have come up a number of times in a lot of forms. Be that via exchanges or using various currencies and the like. In most cases the idea needs to work in both ways. In some cases it's been that if you want to avoid the direct path then the ratio exchange is a bit higher than doing it thru the direct options. So more risk more reward, lower risk cost increases.

20 hours ago, Thomas.2564 said:

Why not just make everything available, no matter where u play? Dont really see what the big deal is. 

Not saying no. But for exchanges and such to work I think we need two factors. If not acquiring in the mode where material exists then exchange rates should be higher to acquire , and required time to acquire needs to be a factor in that exchange rate. 

Example: How long does it take to acquire GoB vs GoE based on the different game modes. These rates should also be factored into overall exchange after factoring in bias for an exchange versus acquiring as normal.

In the end it should be an option, but should cost the player more that wasn't acquiring the material via the game mode that it applied too.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, Dangerous War.9621 said:

Need to come out with another way of getting the gift of battle besides wvw. Something that involves pve for those of us that cant stand wvw or pvp. I rather have all my teeth pulled with no antisea than play wvw or pvp bewcause that is not my kind of fun. And ALOT of people thnk my way too

What are you trying to use Leggo for? Just not looking to have to craft as much gear across your account?

Also need to factor in the difficulties in obtaining them. GoB is fighting people who are harder (in general) to beat than going to certain points on a map. (We could use a calculation on how long it takes from a non PvP perspective.XP gained from camps/sentries and taking towers only...leave out the XP/Points from attacking/defending vs actual players). 10 to 1 might be a little high. The math would need to be worked out.

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Step 1 of doing the math is tossing the math out the window since that’s not how a GoB skirmish reward track work, you get passive participation every 5m it’s not XP based.

Im all for tossing any math out the window LOL... Although I guess it needs to be looked at using the minimum effort to maintain enough PiP to get the GoB and using that ion relation to the length it takes to get GoE (im in the middle of doing this now...my guldies are mad im not back in WvW atm lol)

If one just goes by play time, ~4 hours is listed for GoB, ~20 hours for GoE.  Both of these assume doing it the most efficient way possible (max boost for GoB, max efficiency in pathing/events to cover everything for GoE).

So from that basis, about a 5:1 exchange ratio would be correct.  I'd rather they just be tradeable on the TP - then the correct exchange ratio will get determined by market forces, and those that play a lot of WvW and still don't need/want a GoE could just outright sell them for money (reverse would be true for GoE, though that seems less likely, though if worth enough money, people might just do world completion runs to make money)

21 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

what if we could trade, say, 10 GoB for 1 GoE and vice versa?

I agree with both, time should be factored but also what you stated here. We should have an exchange that factors both time but there should also be a price for the exchange itself. The side that is looking for the exchange should  pay more of its side of the currency for the other. What we don't have on this side is the numbers that Anet has on how many players go to WvW just for GoB and we don't have any history on how many join our mad ranks after. So one reason we don't have an exchange so far, is does it actually lead to more PvXers that then continue from time to WvW. As a numbers geek that might be an interesting tale to spin.

2 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

If one just goes by play time, ~4 hours is listed for GoB, ~20 hours for GoE.  Both of these assume doing it the most efficient way possible (max boost for GoB, max efficiency in pathing/events to cover everything for GoE).

So from that basis, about a 5:1 exchange ratio would be correct.  I'd rather they just be tradeable on the TP - then the correct exchange ratio will get determined by market forces, and those that play a lot of WvW and still don't need/want a GoE could just outright sell them for money (reverse would be true for GoE, though that seems less likely, though if worth enough money, people might just do world completion runs to make money)

5 to 1 sounds more accurate (10 to 1...with my rough math was def way high)

On 11/30/2023 at 10:18 PM, Dangerous War.9621 said:

Need to come out with another way of getting the gift of battle besides wvw. Something that involves pve for those of us that cant stand wvw or pvp. I rather have all my teeth pulled with no antisea than play wvw or pvp bewcause that is not my kind of fun. And ALOT of people thnk my way too

As someone that only plays WvW and PvP I could say the same about PvE tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RDBuck.6098 said:

To get Gift of Battle you have to play wvw is absolutely kitten I hate it I mean I really hate wvw it just bull kitten that you to wvw for GOB

I don't like pve to get stuff but that is how it is. 

Gob is one of the only things that you have to do wvw to get.

what you need to do in pve to get cool stuff gob is really fast to get.