LFG has way too many categories!

My typical day:

1. Login;
  2. Look at LFG whats happening;
  3. Join.

And the worst part current LFG panel is that there are so many categories and subcategories and I have to press on all of them separately to check what hides inside. And then on top of that, because I check all the categories - I get timeout'd for simply checking what groups are listed!

IMO there should be less categories. One category for all dungeons, one category for all season 4 maps, one category for etc. groups of content. Or a simple button to just display EVERY listed group at once, without any categorization!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

Fair point, not everything is for everyone. Then could this be a setting in options, maybe? 🤔

No that would be a mess and prob not poss to code for.

I think there’s validity in your suggestion though. I’m not sure compacting LS maps into one is a wise idea. The problem comes when someone advertises something and no one knows which map to go to. One category for dungeons sense though

Id personally like to see a ban on abbreviations and every advertisement written in clean, legible sentences. Then I could know what the kitten is being advertised for once 😉

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The only setting i would want for LFG would be to sort ascending/descending by release order. Everythign else doesn't really make sense.
The categories are seperated by conent type. How would you compact that even more?

Did they change anything else besides the stuff mentioned in the patch notes? (Have not logged in yet. Still takes a minute or two to download.) Surpsied by the patch though. I thought they would only bring another patch with the next festival. (New Year probably next week I guess?)

Rift Hunting + Convergences could have been one instead of having one for each. S1 didn't need to have one for each chapter. (This would basically mainly be used for achievements - since the maps ... are core without special stuff.) S2 they list the thing with the maps - that is okay. For map meta listings. The patch notes are missing the chapters though. (To have it similar to S1 and all the other seasonal content they'd have to do chapters there as well.)

Imo S1 should have one thing (not one for each chapter - only 1 in total) - and one for S2 would have been enough as well I guess. Or a "maps" / "story" thing.
And of course it is important that the dungeon stuff gets changed. But there is nothing in the patch notes so I guess they forgot about it. (Switching it to a training/experienced thing and removeing the listing for each dungeon - which is too much when barely squads are listed there.)

Edit: Yes. Now I see it. It seems inconsistend. The other seasons had one for each chapter - but using the map name (and people mainly used it for map meta squads or achievements on the map). S1 is the different one here. And there is still a different section for story stuff. (Where the S1 without its own maps ... would have fit better. Where there are different sections - one for each expansion name. While the expansion still have one for each map.)

There is more than needed. Should be better to have only as much as needed.

Edited by Luthan.5236

I don't mind the categories, but I could think of a few improvements:

- Ability to see all active LFGs, without needing to expand every tab.  Except during a few festivals, I suspect this number of groups being advertised is small enough one could just scroll through it.

- Ability to set favorites, or remember what areas I have expanded.  During Halloween, a little tiring going to festivals and then large squads every day when I'm looking for open Labyrinth runs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

A tick box next to the ones you want left open would be a good idea. Ideally saving on logout too. Would be like having a favourites option, but slightly more appropriate to the tool

That would be ideal. 

Also a direct key bind shortcut to the UI window. Shortcut now opens Contacts by default and have to click to another sub window.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

That would be ideal. 

Also a direct key bind shortcut to the UI window. Shortcut now opens Contacts by default and have to click to another sub window.

Yes, or again a tick box to default which window shows first

• Like 1

If the LFG just remembered what I had selected when I close and re-open the window, it would already be a massive improvement, and would be trivial to implement. Right now when I for example want to do fractals, I check LFG, see there is no group that fits my needs, close the window to mess around in my inventory, or the trading post, and when I re-open LFG to check again, I have to do the click-scroll-click-click thing again, because it no longer has fractals/76-100 selected.

Another thing I would like to see would be notifications about groups appearing in LFG based on a set of filters that we can configure. But because of the way that LFG works in GW2, it would basically mean implementing regex matching. Though it could definitely be simplified to a degree that would be understandable to a mortal, and not just a software dev.

• Like 3

They should just add a visual indicator that there's a group in an LFG tab without having to click it to find out. It's dumb enough that you have to click through all these tabs, but the added cooldown if you do more than 5 consecutive clicks in LFG tabs really takes the cake.

• Like 5

Hmm would you like circular and branching paths?  Multiple ways to find the group that you are looking for.

For example, looking for an octovine meta group: Metas, auric basin, done.  Or Heart of Magumma, auric basin, large squads, done.  

Probably not nessassary, but not everyone has the same search habits, or search methods.

The change is cool, there were times I was attempting to find a place on where to host a squad that did not quite fit in and I simply put it in the category at the time. 

Wish there was a way to hide the people selling.    I could not tell you how many times I go to click a group and I would click one of the sellers by accident because the list refreshed and the position changed. My current method is join the selling squad, block the person selling, leave the squad, and tada seller hidden.  I do like that feature very much.

• Like 3

Yup, the LFG is getting bloated. This could be a determent; I think they should split them up, so instanced group content has its own tab (or replace the useless follow tab) whilst the open world & story content stays where it's at. Retire the odd categories too like achi hunter and mentor, they aren't used, or are they? 

Open World: 

Living World and their maps
HoT and their maps
PoF and their maps
EoD and their maps
Soto and their maps
Guild recruitment 

(New tab) Group Instanced: 

Dungeons
Raids
Strike missions & Convergences 
Fractals
WvW
PvP
Dragon Response Mission (for a laugh)

Just an idea, that isn't perfect or as mentioned earlier, could be a detriment 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Just days ago we had people complaining about LFG being way too compacted.

Both are true. All depends on what someone is looking for in that system.

The issue could be solved by more tiered structure, and allowing players to see all lfg in the directory (including all the subdirectories).

So, for example, if someone looked in "Ascalonian Catacombs" they's see all LFGs for AC, but if someone looked into the Dungeons section, they'd see all the LFGs for all dungeons. And then we could put Dungeons section together with Raids, Strikes and Fractals into the "Instanced Content" section.

And if you could make some sections exist in more than one category at once (in example, "PoF metaevents" existing in both "OW\PoF" and "OW\Metaevents" categories), you could make a more robust  system that is both more granular, but without it being an issue for those looking for more general options.

Now, how easy would that be to code, i have no idea.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3

I would just be happy when you close the LFG that it doesn't reset back to default. I would much prefer it to remember where I was so I can quickly access the same activity. I mean whatever you're doing chances are you're not doing it just once for a lot of things.

• Like 2

One small thing they could do that might help is give it a similar update to the crafting stations' Production tab filters.

Add Collapse All, Expand All, and create a Has Listing checkbox (equivalent to the crafting station's "Have Materials").

When you tick that box, only the categories with something listed are shown, then you can expand as needed.

This seems to be something they could copy without too much effort, since they just did it for crafting.

• Like 1