So... CANTHA? Would you like to explore Cantha in the next expansion!?

Cyrin.1035

@Thanatostasis.4562 said:I would love to see cantha, but less human centric, if Tengu become a race then yes.Actually, I expect Arena.net one day to pick-up on the gimmick of underwater combat, other than hearts, vistas, pois, hp's and fractals there's barely anything to do underwater, we need underwater expansion, underwater mounts, more underwater weapons, more nuance, free six dimensional swimming, areas, underwater pvp and wvw, dungeons.... come ooooon.

I'll tell you one thing: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I need it, I want it. Leaping merrily as I speak ?

I would personally enjoy going back to the Eye of the North expansion concept. Where we got to travel between asura, norn, and charr areas and help the factions with their own problems. Whether these need to be expansions of their own, or Living world, would depend on if they plan to incorporate multiple storylines into one for a greater purpose.

Either way, the idea of traveling north from our current map is intriguing both for nostalgia, and for new players who didnt get a chance to experience the Charr and Norn lore as much as us veterans did.

But regardless, Cantha does open up a huge new storyline, whether it is human or not, it will definitely change the scenery and enemies, as well as hopefully a new race (tengu). So I will vote yes for Cantha, even though it is more of my second choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely yes! I always wanted to see Cantha and Elona in GW2, and since we got Elona, so full of lore and aesthetically beautiful, I bet that Cantha would be even better. Also I really like Asian themed architecture and culture, and I would love to see it in GW2. And I'm just so curious what happened there in 250 years, the amount of lore would be enormous.

I want to go back to Cantha, but not yet. The human race has just had their expac story. I want anet to focus on building up on other races. Like with this most recent LW update (S4e2) I loved what they did with the charr lore and cant wait to see how they expand on other races both major and minor.

• 1 month later...

@Ravezaar.4951 said:I dont think this game is gonna see a new expansion

Oh it definitely will. It's already been mentioned by the devs somewhere that storylines arc toward expansion 3 and development teams have begun work on the next one. I was super excited for expansion 1 and 2, but the third one excites me the most because they are now in a position where they have established how their expansions will work and learned from issues with the past two. New elite specs are on the horizon. The storyline is in the best place to proceed from and the map has been revealed enough to finally go to either a new Cantha or a new location or both!

This next expansion could be one of the best things to happen to GW 2 if done well.

fyi i'm asian. but after googling "cantha" on google images... i'm just annoyed by these stereotypical "chinese pagoda" infrastructures...

i mean these pagodas are the not the epitome of "asian" landscapes and landmarks. i want more varieties in the map. i feel like these pagoda/cherry blossom imagery is very very cliched and appear in too many games basing their maps on asian landscapes.

i want to see more structures like these in addition to those chinese pagodas:

XebIfd6.png

@"Samnang.1879" said:fyi i'm asian. but after googling "cantha" on google images... i'm just annoyed by these stereotypical "chinese pagoda" infrastructures...

i mean these pagodas are the not the epitome of "asian" landscapes and landmarks. i want more varieties in the map. i feel like these pagoda/cherry blossom imagery is very very cliched and appear in too many games basing their maps on asian landscapes.

i want to see more structures like these in addition to those chinese pagodas:

XebIfd6.png

This is the time to really explore Cantha and find new areas with a greater variety of architecture and landscapes. I'd also like to see what else this continent has to offer. Including things we never saw in Factions. Just another opportunity for Anet to succeed in as they did with PoF.

Cantha would be awesome with Asian inspired weapons (obligatory katana sword/ wakazashi dagger). Thief new elite spec (Ninja with great sword, which means bring back Belinda's Greatsword skin). Warrior elite spec with staff (spear skins)....

@mercury ranique.2170 said:But then there is this giant city. It was allready hug in gw1 and it will likely have grown. I never really liked it a lot, but thats not my concern, My main concern is that we basically need the city and cant ignore it and get around it, but part of it was that it was a maze. Now we can pop on our griffon/bunny, and use griffon/raptor to navigate the rooftops. So how to create a feel of a big city?

If anything, Cantha provides a real opportunity to blend some of the verticality from HoT with the vastness of PoF. Kaineng could plausibly keep building up more than out, giving us towering skyscraper-like buildings to scale. Similarly, with both the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest recovering from the Jade Wind, I imagine Echovald having a certain amount of verticality to it while being stylistically very different from Maguuma. Jade Sea would be made quickly navigable using Skimmers and maybe provide scope for a new underwater mount to tie into the newly-redone underwater skills.

If Cantha happens, though, I would love Shing Jea Island to still be a low-level area. The mainland would already add a rich level 80 experience, and I've now levelled so many alts on the existing low-level maps they've lost their lustre a bit. Lore-wise it makes sense for Istan to have become what it is, but we know nothing about the state of Cantha; I hope the Monastery is still a place of learning and growth. While it's too much to ask for a new race for all the reasons that have previously been noted across numerous threads, Cantha would definitely provide the ideal setting if they were to introduce the Tengu – which would make Shing Jea the ideal non-shared starter area for newly-created Tengu characters.