Can the NPCs just shut up [Merged]

So tired of NPC talk spam appearing on top of my character obstructing my screen. I'm in the middle of combat and there's some random unrelated NPC dialogue preventing me from seeing what I'm fighting. I already disabled NPC voice because they just won't shut up, now I'm getting spammed with speech bubbles every 5 minutes.

Can you get over yourselves? Combat readability already sucks and now I have a white box on top of my character all the time that cannot be disabled. Exactly in the spot where my target is on the screen. Hello?

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 2

Well, I'm not super happy about this either. I'm one of those "where did my cursor go" and "who switched my up for a down" losers so doing any of the turret events gets quite annoying with speech-bubbles obscuring my tiny little aiming dot. 

• Like 12
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

So tired of NPC talk spam appearing on top of my character obstructing my screen. I'm in the middle of combat and there's some random unrelated NPC dialogue preventing me from seeing what I'm fighting. I already disabled NPC voice because they just won't shut up, now I'm getting spammed with speech bubbles every 5 minutes.

Can you get over yourselves? Combat readability already sucks and now I have a white box on top of my character all the time that cannot be disabled. Exactly in the spot where my target is on the screen. Hello?

I feel you. I am sincerely annoyed by it, too. Also very impractical when you are navigating the area and can't see your next step (example: Shiverpeaks Pass). 😆

You get used to it in a way, but it is still annoying. I've been complaining ever since the introduction of the Comm Device. 😒

31 minutes ago, anninke.7469 said:

Well, I'm not super happy about this either. I'm one of those "where did my cursor go" and "who switched my up for a down" losers so doing any of the turret events gets quite annoying with speech-bubbles obscuring my tiny little aiming dot. 

Oh yeah, that was the worst!

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 8
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

With your chat panel fully visible, click the cogwheel at the upper-left corner. There's an option in there called "Show In-world Bubbles." Does that do it?

Ah, that's where they hid it. I couldn't find it in the options and I didn't remember how I turned it off many, many years ago. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

With your chat panel fully visible, click the cogwheel at the upper-left corner. There's an option in there called "Show In-world Bubbles." Does that do it?

Thank you! I must try when I log in tonight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Remember a long time ago we had those character virtues options?

It would have been kinda funny if you made your character more aggressive, then it would cause NPCs to not talk as much around you. Or have other dialogue appear.

Of course we are far past that point as there didn't seem to be much interest in the RP stats. Redoing existing stuff is too much work. But you know, maybe in further expansions...

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

OMG, how could I have missed this?!? If this is truly the solution, you have definitely saved me. 😄

17 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Look, this is a place of refuge, not a den of iniquity

"Your colors, they've changed."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

17 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Doesn't work. I'm still getting NPC chat bubbles over my character's head in Inner Nayos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Edit: The thread is merged! 

Be nice if the overall chatter through comm device was lowered/removed entirely.
I find myself enjoying the area and suddenly BOOM, NPCs talking constantly through it to either announce meta or talk to me through a normal event even (which is the case in newest area), and it really ruins immersion and peace for me.
And not just that, the chat bubble is insanely huge when they talk to you, so it obscures quite a bit of what's 'ahead' of you which is also annoying.

It's a good thing to have in game, but it's starting to become a bit annoying now as it feels over-used. And the sound through comm device is not something you want to listen to often.
I understand it's a good indication to warn us about incoming meta, but I guess there are other ways to do it without interrupting us from what we are doing.
EoD started with it, then it transferred over to SotO too which I am not a fan of.
I love to afk in Echovald and just enjoy the ambience and music, but that gets so ruined when meta starts T_T
Maybe an option to turn off comm device or meta chatter?

Edited by Blur.3465
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

The comms device has just been awful in every single way since they put it in back in LW3.

Wandering around Echovald and "someone help get me out of here" or whatever. Who said that? Why would i care? Where even are they? And it's incessant.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If that option doesn't work for the NPCs, then I'll second the request to have it implemented. But like, nicely, instead of ragey.

Please Anet, implement a method of turning off NPC chat bubbles for those who wish to have that disabled. Thank you!

• Like 7

A perfect example of a decent idea written in a way so rude and unlikable that makes me want to be against it just becouse.

@rune.9572 I know it's internet, so You think You can be an Ancient Summoning Stone to everybody, but a little bit of politness wouldn't harm You, and it could actually  make more peoples support Your ideas. Try it sometimes, and don't teach Your recent attitude to kids if you have any pretty please.

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:57 PM, Kiki.9450 said:

Please Anet, implement a method of turning off NPC chat bubbles for those who wish to have that disabled. Thank you!

And NPC whispers. They can send me a letter, by pigeon, if they want to tell me something. Maximum one pigeon per day. And short, max 5 sentences.

And please let me disable the Rev Legends chatter as well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1