What would you like to change about WVW to stimulate your participation?

27 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

So is there or isnt there?

Dear Dawdler, WVW today doesn't have a competition in 'seasons' format because the season never ends. You can tell that your team was the best if they are 1st in the table on the day they close WVW. That is the exact reason why today you win or lose has no meaning whatsoever.

There's no point in discussing something that isn't there. While we can discuss and reason about whether or not changing our point system towards a ''seasons'' can make it more interesting and stimulate player participation in WVW.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

and also the three missing legendary accessorie

10 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

1) More rewards

18 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

1. Give back participation to defense events

So, if we make WVW more profitable, it will also be more engaging for the player.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I haven't mentioned those of you (more than one) who pointed out bugs or cheating, as I'm asking what you'd like to change, understood as ''extraordinary' change. Fixing bugs or limiting cheaters is an ordinary job for Anet. ( or at least it is presumed to be )

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

More content, more fights, let's say that if you stimulate the player's interest and involve him in a wide participation, the natural consequence is that we will all have more content in this game mode. Pretty much this post is made on purpose. What are the 2 or 3 pieces that I have to move, easily, to make everything more interesting?

That's not why there was little content that night.

For me? I already participate just in wvw at this point of my gw2 journey. 

For others? I think simple things like texture changes would bring some fresh air and mood into wvw, lil updates every few weeks adding some obstacles or slightly altering maps would also give more life to game mode than people might think while reading this post.

U see, yesterday i unlocked wizard tower for my friend, he tp to me and saw it for first time, prior that he tped to eod map (hes purely wvw person pretty much so never seen it before too) and he was amazed, kept writing on how he would love sm have stairs like tower or how game looks completely different and new gen in eod.

U see these little visual changes reduce the routine drag, dynamic map changes would req some work but if u afraid to do bigger changes to wvw it would be enough to greatly increase mood of community, give hopium etc.

Simple texture refurbishment would do that as it would feel like new game u know? Would show devs care about this game mode, would prob bring lot of people back.

Dynamic old gw2 living world tier stuff that changes traversing thru map... as example u get portions of desert map flooded because....because it just got flooded oke? Ekko is back lads, rejoice. So anyways, now people have different map for a bit, doesnt req much of dev work, increase the interest and decrease boredom of players.

Can put obstacles in open field combat areas etc, some smashed up catas or trebs outside bay.. fantasy is the limit here. It wouldnt change balance, wouldnt create mess, just add joy and variation in wvw people routine.

Yes... i think there is no need for new maps or some drastic changes to breath some life into game mode, call me stupid but thats how i think. 

And no lads, skill lag/que is not related to video settings lmao, unless your loptop is complete potatoe all this doesnt change performance of game.

So y if devs reading this, there is really nice artists that anet have access to, just take few hours of their time each month, i can guarantee that if u put treb in middle of field near bay whole forum would buzz about it and activity would spike, just from that, it all it takes. Wvw community is so depressed because they simply see no progress or work done, no interest from devs, and it makes them quit, cuz nothing ever change or will change right?

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

How about not allowing solo roamers to be able to stack their bar with 5+ boons that last 10 seconds while also spamming their target with 5+ conditions that they can easily stack while being survivable thanks to mobility, stability, immune and invulnerability.

Just a thought. Maybe people would interact with the game if they were given a chance instead of getting dunked on by some loser who failed out of all the competitive arena games and takes out their frustration at failing to launch in competitive video games and in life by being a pubstar with a gimmick build preying on the new people who join.

In terms of me? There's nothing. I play for a few weeks and months, then I get bored and stop and go back to games that respect the playerbase. It's not realistic to expect them to completely rework combat so that it rewards smart play and not braindead monkey spam. Their console friendly GW3 coming in 2030 will hopefully change that by forcing a limit on skills and encouraging clearly defined roles and not 'alac/quick dps pls'

Edited by Leger.3724

58 minutes ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

For me? I already participate just in wvw at this point of my gw2 journey. 

For others? I think simple things like texture changes would bring some fresh air and mood into wvw, lil updates every few weeks adding some obstacles or slightly altering maps would also give more life to game mode than people might think while reading this post.

U see, yesterday i unlocked wizard tower for my friend, he tp to me and saw it for first time, prior that he tped to eod map (hes purely wvw person pretty much so never seen it before too) and he was amazed, kept writing on how he would love sm have stairs like tower or how game looks completely different and new gen in eod.

U see these little visual changes reduce the routine drag, dynamic map changes would req some work but if u afraid to do bigger changes to wvw it would be enough to greatly increase mood of community, give hopium etc.

Simple texture refurbishment would do that as it would feel like new game u know? Would show devs care about this game mode, would prob bring lot of people back.

Dynamic old gw2 living world tier stuff that changes traversing thru map... as example u get portions of desert map flooded because....because it just got flooded oke? Ekko is back lads, rejoice. So anyways, now people have different map for a bit, doesnt req much of dev work, increase the interest and decrease boredom of players.

Can put obstacles in open field combat areas etc, some smashed up catas or trebs outside bay.. fantasy is the limit here. It wouldnt change balance, wouldnt create mess, just add joy and variation in wvw people routine.

Yes... i think there is no need for new maps or some drastic changes to breath some life into game mode, call me stupid but thats how i think. 

And no lads, skill lag/que is not related to video settings lmao, unless your loptop is complete potatoe all this doesnt change performance of game.

So y if devs reading this, there is really nice artists that anet have access to, just take few hours of their time each month, i can guarantee that if u put treb in middle of field near bay whole forum would buzz about it and activity would spike, just from that, it all it takes. Wvw community is so depressed because they simply see no progress or work done, no interest from devs, and it makes them quit, cuz nothing ever change or will change right?

“You can’t change someone who doesn’t see an issue in their actions. Let them be, and choose to be free.”

Right!

• Confused 2

Roller Beetle week!  
🏁ZOOM ZOOM!🏁

But seriously.  I'd love it if they'd update the old maps both visually and physically.  Bring them up to desert BL quality in terms of look.

Edited by Sonork.2916
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CafPow.1542 said:

There is not a lot of stuff left mah dude.

by now this ends with „nerf everything but me ree“…. Which makes me ask how hard one has to suck at this game when failing against everything else.

According to them, this is how the game would look:

-Core, DH, and Firebrand for Guardians. Willbender gone.

-Core, Scrapper, and Mech for Engineers. Holosmith useless. 

-Core, Reaper, and Scourge for Necromancers. Harbinger useless.

-Warrior and Revenant exist but are useless.

-Elementalist, Thief, and Mesmer are gone.

Ranger is the only class not listed that keeps all of its specs. My guess is he's a LB pewpew player or a Druid.

• Like 1

Balance. The only thing that really, seriously sucks in WvW for me is the unbelievable imbalance.

To the point where I regularly sit in front of my screen and go 'Why the eff does this exist in a game?!' because it just makes zero sense.

My hopes for this? Zero. None. Zilch. Nada. Not going to happen.

So instead I focus on sticking to people I enjoy playing with and against, and simply walking away from certain classes/builds. Let them play with themselves, maybe they'll eventually loose interest. Anet certainly doesn't care. -shrug-

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Firefly.5982 said:

So instead I focus on sticking to people I enjoy playing with and against, and simply walking away from certain classes/builds. Let them play with themselves, maybe they'll eventually loose interest. Anet certainly doesn't care. -shrug-

Same. 😔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

There is not a lot of stuff left mah dude.

by now this ends with „nerf everything but me ree“…. Which makes me ask how hard one has to suck at this game when failing against everything else.

To be fair, Mabi asked what would motivate someone personally, not what would you change to motivate everyone.  So of course someone is going to post things that would in practice demotivate large sections of the playerbase.  xD

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:35 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

What is WVW?

Large-scale PvP, a team-based game, which clash 3-way in 1-week matches. The players who participate, they do it in many different ways, many styles, many strategies, but whatever they do, they will only and exclusively affect the score of their team. Teams that win move up a level and teams that lose go down a level, week after week teams regroup more and more towards other teams of a similar level. ANET, keeps track of the points that each team is able to generate, and based on this defines the ranking of the teams. The comparison between the teams is endless, there is no team that wins as there is no team that loses, since the competition does not have a ''season'' format, it does not have a beginning as it does not have an end. The format is ''perpetual''.

In a nutshell and from what I could personally understand at WVW.

The question is: what would you like to change/update to stimulate your interest and participation in this game mode? 

Mabi, interesting one. Thinking on this and trying not to biased. At the current hour not a good one to try and reply to but will be back after some thought, and of course sleep, posting at 4 AM never a good idea. Thanks for the thread!

On 2/17/2024 at 10:57 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

Dear Dawdler, WVW today doesn't have a competition in 'seasons' format because the season never ends. You can tell that your team was the best if they are 1st in the table on the day they close WVW. That is the exact reason why today you win or lose has no meaning whatsoever.

There's no point in discussing something that isn't there. While we can discuss and reason about whether or not changing our point system towards a ''seasons'' can make it more interesting and stimulate player participation in WVW.

The "season" ends every 4 weeks, previously every 8 weeks. Just because it doesnt fit your personal definition of what a "season" is supposed to be doesnt make it any less of a period where WvW resets world rankings and shuffle links.

What kind of reason for winning would magically turn those weeks into "real" seasons?

Just rewards for being 1st?

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The "season" ends every 4 weeks, previously every 8 weeks. Just because it doesnt fit your personal definition of what a "season" is supposed to be doesnt make it any less of a period where WvW resets world rankings and shuffle links.

What kind of reason for winning would magically turn those weeks into "real" seasons?

Just rewards for being 1st?

Our points system is missing a whole part for it to be called a ''seasonal'' competition, it's not that it's up to me. The point is, there isn't. Maybe it's missing on purpose because Anet thinks it's better that way. The season should have a beginning and an end. and then start again. You need to keep a historical and official record of a 'medal table' to know your team's history over time. It's as if in the Olympics you never know the best gold, silver, bronze, because you reshuffle the athletes and start comparing them again, without ever closing the competition, in a ''perpetual'' way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

It's as if in the Olympics you never know the best gold, silver, bronze, because you reshuffle the athletes and start comparing them again, without ever closing the competition, in a ''perpetual'' way.

… but the olympics is perpetually repeating every 4 years, there’s often new athletes and nobody will sit and compare who won last time in the middle of an ongoing competition.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

I'm surprised not many mentioned performance. 

If I had one wish, it would be Anet doing something about the kitten lag. The whole reason I play WvW are the massive battles between multiple teams. I do my fair share of roaming, but has never "clicked" like two/three similarly strong squads trying to win.

Second, re-orient the game direction in a way comped squads are not that much stronger than similarly numbered PUGs. I've been in both sides, it's boring either way.

• Like 3

I'm ambivalent about changing the second alpine borderlands, since the red map is the one I dislike the most and listening to other players it appears I'm, for once, with the majority.

The problem of wvw aren't the maps anyway.

• Like 1

After a few weeks learning the desert map I've come to like it in some ways. I do think it is unfair to red to have such a massive map to try defending while the other teams don't, and in that regard I think it'd be better to cycle the maps for all teams. Desert one week for all teams, then Alpine the next. But then again, if a whole team dislikes Desert, good luck getting them to play anywhere but EBG.

That being said I also would like to see more new maps, maybe themed like the various expansions. Having a new environment to work it could help engage people more. I wasn't here for the launch of HoT and Desert BL, but I heard it didn't go over well, and I'm guessing that's the reason Anet never bothered to try making new maps again which is sort of a shame really. I missed a lot in the several years I was gone after 2014.

Other than new maps, I wish they'd do something about the boonball meta as I think it's kind of boring (to fight against and to fight with) but I doubt that will change any time soon. I would love to see siege be more effective like it used to be way back in the day. It used to be a huge boon when defending against much larger numbers, and it required the attacking team to be a bit more careful.

As much as i love wvw i really dislike gigantic 50+ people blobs those things just are not fun to fight against at all. I have no idea how that thing could be fixed but to me gigantic immortal blobs are something that when i see one just dominating everything i might just take a week long break until the teams are suffled again.

Second thing is the weird pulls through walls and mountains without even seeing who pulled me or why i was pulled through stuff that i should not go through or have zero line of sight with a person who did that.

Thirdly i kind of wish defence weapons on towers/keeps were actually usefull and dangerous.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

… but the olympics is perpetually repeating every 4 years, there’s often new athletes and nobody will sit and compare who won last time in the middle of an ongoing competition.

subjectively, I like to know that Michael Phelps has won 23 gold medals in 23 different editions, but we in wvw, with our current scoring system, cannot define who won, because the season never ends, and therefore we are also deprived of the comparison between those who are winning a season and those who have won it before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bunny.9834 said:

Boon ball needs to go

I don't know how to categorize this request, which by the way comes from several players. I suppose it's part of the class balance changes. We often talk about this. But if we want to see the style of group play change, I think, we should give more space to the builds. If the player has more choice in building (new skills or new weapons) the consequence is that he has a higher chance of pulling something out of the hat that works better.

If I think about how many skills I could choose on my GW warrior compared to GW2, plus the fact that I could also choose the second class of my warrior. In fact, I suggested some time ago to grant each class the use of only 1 ability of another Clesse, this would open up a huge range of how we can build our avatar. Anet could also make it profitable for its own earnings , so you can spend the right amount of time on this game mode. to update and improve it

Edited by Mabi black.1824

38 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

subjectively, I like to know that Michael Phelps has won 23 gold medals in 23 different editions, but we in wvw, with our current scoring system, cannot define who won, because the season never ends, and therefore we are also deprived of the comparison between those who are winning a season and those who have won it before.

Magumma won gold by a landslide in the matchup that ended 3rd June 2023 and lost in 3rd place by a hair to Sea of Sorrows on the 15th October 2022.

Objectively however, both links and WR makes it impossible to do what you want anyway. Because we haven’t had our own server since 2014 or whatever it is since links began and unless Anet suddenly throw a complete WvW curveball, we’re never ever going back to that.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

Magumma won gold by a landslide in the matchup that ended 3rd June 2023 and lost in 3rd place by a hair to Sea of Sorrows on the 15th October 2022.

These are all unofficial details, handled by third parties. On the official website of Anet, in the ''Community'' section, Anet officially only keeps track of the ranking of our teams for the current week. There is no other historical trace, there is never a gold medal because competition never has an end and a new beginning and so on. Unless I've missed something along the way, if we want to get serious, our one and only reference is Anet.

Objectively however, both links and WR makes it impossible to do what you want anyway.

This is absolutely true. We are also thinking about this, just to understand if it is something that can be of interest to more players, if a change to our scoring system is of general interest or not.  The presumption is that, as I wrote at the beginning of this post, WVW is a team-based game, it's a large-scale PvP game, so, in theory, a 'seasons' format for WVW should pique the player's interest. But if not, an update is useless of our scoring system.