What would you like to change about WVW to stimulate your participation?

What is WVW?

Large-scale PvP, a team-based game, which clash 3-way in 1-week matches. The players who participate, they do it in many different ways, many styles, many strategies, but whatever they do, they will only and exclusively affect the score of their team. Teams that win move up a level and teams that lose go down a level, week after week teams regroup more and more towards other teams of a similar level. ANET, keeps track of the points that each team is able to generate, and based on this defines the ranking of the teams. The comparison between the teams is endless, there is no team that wins as there is no team that loses, since the competition does not have a ''season'' format, it does not have a beginning as it does not have an end. The format is ''perpetual''.

In a nutshell and from what I could personally understand at WVW.

The question is: what would you like to change/update to stimulate your interest and participation in this game mode? 

• Like 3

Proper balance. WvW will always be the wild west because it uses PvE gear, and we all know Anet isn't going to implement a WvW unique stat system. *Amulets can stay in sPvP where they belong.*

Boon uptime and application is ridiculous and we all know it, and this makes it incredibly difficult, borderline impossible to stop large groups/blobs that are organized if you don't have something similar or a handful of competent people that can take advantage of inexperienced or unaware players in an enemy zerg: Willbender dropping on a group of 20 people and downing 5 of them while they sit on siege and escaping, for example. 

Shield Gens are another issue, in my opinion. Perhaps it's a hot take, but when offensive groups utilize numerous shield gens that cycle permanent bubbles with alacrity, it makes defending with siege a massive struggle if you are lacking in numbers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm already taking part quite a lot. Less this week and last week because of skill lags.

WvW would be more fun if the thief was removed from WvW. Let them play some other annoying roamer build. There's still enough room.

WvW would be more fun if the Warclaw didn't often feel like a crippled mount that gets stuck on a pixel that no player on foot can get stuck on. The Warclaw generally needs more attention. No cooldown on skill 1, no cooldown after dismounting, no getting stuck on a pixel above the ground, no crawling up stairs (players on foot pass me lol). No falling like a stone when dismounting over a cliff and extending the wings (I often get no gliding, but falling... with wings). No mounting and sudden change of direction of the Warclaw.

Structures on T3 should repair themselves after a certain number of dollies.

Warclaw sniffing shows hidden enemies.

Better firing meter for ranged siege weapons. Would be nice if the loading bar got a good grid/pattern (with numbers or colors or whatever). I had to draw lines on a piece of cling film and then stick it on the screen as required. But it can't be the final solution.

Useless visual effects gone from the Wvw. That's the only thing I can't get rid of. I'm already using the standard models - everyone looks pretty much the same to me. But whatever causes lags in Zerg vs Zerg... get rid of it.

The commander symbol should always cover everything and not be obscured by player names. Not being able to find my commander quickly in slaughter is my biggest cause of death in Zerg. And the personal marker doesn't solve that satisfactorily.

The coolest thing would be if I could set everything except the commander and enemy symbols/names to black and white, i.e. grayscale.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

The comparison between the teams is endless, there is no team that wins as there is no team that loses, since the competition does not have a ''season'' format, it does not have a beginning as it does not have an end. The format is ''perpetual''.

Yet we have an end and a beginning today then we have another end and a beginning every 4 weeks.

As the above says, the fault of WvW really isn’t the matchup design. It’s everything around it. People have been tired of server stacking for a loooong time. People have grown weary of the boonball yet no action from Anet is ever in sight. All the tiny little things that is pure neglect from Anet. The DBL cornerstone is still missing, isn’t it?

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1. Give back participation to defense events, when you repair walls and gates below the 50% mark to encourage defending and not waiting to re-flip after 5 minutes
2. Bring back supply to be an important resource to manage, e.g. by being able to sabotage dolyaks to poison supplies of T3 structures, or "sapper kits" that will start to damage walls if not removed by defenders etc.
3. Make WvW guild missions to be playable by less than three players participating in the same event, to create more player driven content on the maps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tie WvW into the rest of the game more if there's not going to be any kind of open world pvp. Whatever balance changes happen, it's the same population trying to game that balance contained in the same sparse maps trying to land on some kind of prime time. 

"Look, listen."

"I know why you choose to have your little..."

*clears throat*

"Group therapy sessions in broad daylight.."

"I know why you're afraid to go out at night..."

"The Boonball.."

"You see The Boonball has shown Tyria your true colors... unfortunately."

"CMC, he's just the beginning."

"And.. and as for the forum's so-called plan, Boonball has no jurisdiction."

"They'll find you and make you squeal."

"I know the squealers when I see them.. and.."

"What do you propose.."

"It's simple, we kill The Boonball."

*Hysterical mocking laughter fills the forums*

On a more serious note, proper balance top to bottom, and also the three missing legendary accessories, so I can give a kitten to collect tickets again."

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just fyi, combat numbers always visually override any commander tag, personal target reticle, other effects, etc.  That's the most likely reason you get lost seeing the tag.  Just stop doing damage and you'll never get lost.  xD

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Haha 1

Yesterday's rally for one of my guilds got cancelled because the content this week is poor.  Players want WvW fights where there's a fair chance at winning, not spend time ktraining and chasing down roamers.  Yes, it's Mag week...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

More maps.  It's been the same 4 maps forever.   Time to introduce a new version or 2 for each BL and EBG like jungle, city and island themed maps. Then each week randomize which maps are used for that week. 

Maybe add temporary weather effects like snow or ice or fog that change hurt/help movement, reduce visibility, or inflict conditions

Add more harvestable nodes outside of towers/camps in areas where you can be easily ambushed harvesting adding a real  trade off

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

get new Devs that stop with all the distractions and fix this mode. At the moment it is dying no matter how many million players they post on their website, 16 million in 12 years, but how many ACTIVE now in WvW?  Guilds are empty, players haven't logged on for years even. Linking is the single biggest death to the game, delete the extensions in EU servers if you want to link, get an AI Bot involved to make unbiased, non-human links. Too many favorite servers always linked, and some servers get the lowest player base links every time. Your system is so flawed, it's terrible, unbalanced, PPT trains. fix it or continue to lose players at an alarming rate. 

2 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

WvW would be more fun if the Warclaw didn't often feel like a crippled mount that gets stuck on a pixel that no player on foot can get stuck on. The Warclaw generally needs more attention. No cooldown on skill 1, no cooldown after dismounting, no getting stuck on a pixel above the ground, no crawling up stairs (players on foot pass me lol). No falling like a stone when dismounting over a cliff and extending the wings (I often get no gliding, but falling... with wings). No mounting and sudden change of direction of the Warclaw.

Very much this, but really just movement in general is my biggest WvW pain point. If you get downed you can usually expect no assistance even in a fairly large zerg, and if defeated you just better hope you weren't on the opposite side of the map from your respawn. By the time you get back there (if you can get back without being ganked), running solo either on foot or plodding along on the Warsloth, your zerg has moved on. It's just a jogging simulator most of the time.

The most annoying bugs should be fixed. The stuff that keeps annoying us over and over for years now.

More Reward Tracks, more accessibility to PvE rewards. The way it worked in the past. Where you could unlock collection weapon-sets with those Reward Tracks or unlock emotes and mounst-skins. 

An option to reduce the effect-clutter significantly - in order to reduce computer/performance based lagg. As far as I remember, ANet does not sell hardware. Which means there is no rational/financial reason for them to push the limits as far as possible. The opposite should be the case. The more people can play the game, the more money they will earn from game-sales and ingame purchases. That is a massive issue in both PvE and WvW. 

A strict rule for Quickness/Alacrity/Superspeed distribution across the classes. Some continuity instead of adding and removing the buffs every quarter.

Edge of the Mists - do something with it.

Make Revive Orbs work in WvW.
Does not work in camp/tower/keep. With a similar timer as for auto-waypointing, but getting revived instead. Would boost the sales of the orbs = more cash.

Downed penalty also reduces vitality, toughness and moving-speed.

While a player has the revealed effect, they cannot get ooc.

47 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Make Revive Orbs work in WvW.
Does not work in camp/tower/keep. With a similar timer as for auto-waypointing, but getting revived instead. Would boost the sales of the orbs = more cash.

Commander's log: "16th of February, 2024: We've reached the point of no return. WvW players are asking for a cash shop item that lets them revive to be usable in a PvP game mode. We can no longer keep the ship afloat."

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

This game started as a "you can play however you like" this is why it is the way it is today. We cannot change that, unless it is an entirely new game.
Therefore I think
1) More rewards
2) more maps,
3) pve map as wvw maps.
4) various kind of Leaderboards - most player killed, most guards killed, most yak killed, most camp, tower, ruins, shrines, keep, castle flipped, all these will contribute to a new special reward chest at the end of the week.
5) as for the players on the leaderboard, they will get special reward chest themselves, and also one to their team.
6) there are more, I can't think right now.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Downed penalty also reduces vitality, toughness and moving-speed.

(emphasis added)

Die in the field with little to no hope of a rez, then respawn clear across the map with little to no hope of returning to the fight before participation decays?

Nope, at that point I say "screw it," leave the game mode and find something else to do.

17 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Yet we have an end and a beginning today then we have another end and a beginning every 4 weeks.

It's just the mechanic that builds the server pairings that has a 4-week cadence. From a competitive point of view, it doesn't say anything, it remains a perpetual format. There is never a 1st or 2nd or 3rd place, score reset, and all teams restart from 0 points. There is no official medal table for Anet. The competition has a perpetual format, you can be 1st in the rankings at the moment but in 2 years you could be in 10th place, and after another 2 years you could be 3rd place  and so on. There's never an end and there's never a beginning.

1 minute ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

There is never a 1st or 2nd or 3rd place, score reset, and all teams restart from 0 points.

1 minute ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

you can be 1st in the rankings at the moment but in 2 years you could be in 10th place, and after another 2 years you could be 3rd place  and so on.

So is there or isnt there?

18 hours ago, CutesySylveon.8290 said:

Proper balance.

16 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

On a more serious note, proper balance top to bottom

15 hours ago, manu.7539 said:

Nerf boonballs and stealth builds

In a nutshell, you're saying that a better balance between teams and a better balance of classes could make this mode more interesting to stimulate your participation. if I understand correctly.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

Tie WvW into the rest of the game

9 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

2) more maps,

15 hours ago, Tinker.6924 said:

More maps.  It's been the same 4 maps forever.

Setting, a variety of different maps, a different layout of teleportation portals, atmospheric shares that affect visibility or movement or something like that in a nutshell. So we're saying that diversifying the environment where we play could stimulate our curiosity and our participation in WVW.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yesterday's rally for one of my guilds got cancelled because the content this week is poor.  Players want WvW fights

More content, more fights, let's say that if you stimulate the player's interest and involve him in a wide participation, the natural consequence is that we will all have more content in this game mode. Pretty much this post is made on purpose. What are the 2 or 3 pieces that I have to move, easily, to make everything more interesting?

• Confused 2