Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

"working on GW3"

Thats ok for me. I dont mind the time it will take. Even if GW3 is officially announced tomorrow there is no need for me to abandon GW2.

There is still stuff for me to do which I enjoy and maybe need to do for the Hall of Monument 2.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

So if a guild mate asks if you could help him you just say “no,  because maybe GW3 will be releasing in a few years”? I don’t get it 

Becuase now I play the game for a few minutes and those minutes I will dedicate to the most fun thing in the game. I know it's stupid but there are players who only have a couple of hours a day of free time

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Petrified.9826 said:

There is a difference in monetization. You can buy legendaries and other things like Black lion skins directly from ANet by buying gems and converting it for gold. So, Frostfang for example is around 50$ I think. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of people have many of their legendaries this way, just because earning gold by working is way easier than farming ingame. It's situation that ANet created themselves and now they are responsible for it.

You can't buy endgame items directly from Blizzard or GGG. You earn them in raids or dungeons and can't trade or craft them out of gold. So that's easier to justify loss of your items.

I don't really see a difference here.  If $50 is a trivial amount of your time, then what are you losing?  You get whatever enjoyment out of your legendary weapon that you want, and when you stop playing for whatever reason that's $50 you aren't getting back.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Nogothanc.5014 said:

"working on GW3"

Thats ok for me. I dont mind the time it will take. Even if GW3 is officially announced tomorrow there is no need for me to abandon GW2.

There is still stuff for me to do which I enjoy and maybe need to do for the Hall of Monument 2.

Yeah I feel the same, don’t really understand all the concerns. We don’t know anything for sure yet and a possible GW3 is years away. I still enjoy playing the game so why should I stop. 

I just hope a GW3 won’t be focusing on casual players, that was a huge mistake from the beginning. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sunyavadin.7962 said:

the NCSoft statement that the project is under review and has not been given final approval was pretty clear

What NCSoft statement, and where? If it was linked here from an official company source I didn't see it. Citation please?

Third-party publications are not authoritative. If it's not directly from NCSoft or ANet, I'm skeptical.

• Confused 3

Call me crazy, but if GW3 released today I'd be playing it.  Wouldn't you?  I don't really see a downside to that.  I like GW2.  I've spent years playing it.  But I'm always ready to move on if I can find something better. I don't consider enjoying a game for years wasted time just because I don't get to bring the rewards I earned with me.  They only have meaning to me while I'm actively playing the game.

• Like 11
  • Confused 5

31 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

What NCSoft statement, and where? If it was linked here from an official company source I didn't see it. Citation please?

Third-party publications are not authoritative. If it's not directly from NCSoft or ANet, I'm skeptical.

In the MassivelyOP article on it, there's a clarification/correction box at the bottom linking to a Business Post Korea piece citing a formal statement made by NCSoft after the meeting, which I quoted. Essentially, after the comment made in the meeting raised questions, NCSoft issued a clarification that GW3 is not yet in active development, the proposal for the project is undergoing review.. Generally that means it exists as a handful of pieces of of concept art and a whole bunch of financial projections aimed at getting the parent company to give Anet the money for it.

So, we have NCSoft saying after the meeting:
“The Guild Wars 3 project is in the review stage and the start of development has not been finalized.”
And Arenanet when asked by MMORPG.com for comment, stating:
"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now."

Pretty clear from those two statements together that Anet have made proposals for a GW3 (No surprise, such proposals have been on the table for years, in one form or another) but NCSoft have yet to greenlight those proposals.

Edited by Sunyavadin.7962
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Yeah I feel the same, don’t really understand all the concerns. We don’t know anything for sure yet and a possible GW3 is years away. I still enjoy playing the game so why should I stop. 

I just hope a GW3 won’t be focusing on casual players, that was a huge mistake from the beginning. 

I definitely hope GW3 has more instanced group content and I hope they abandon the non-trinity and basic UI stuff to give us more nuanced group roles and better encounter design.  I think the open world content in this game is great, but I agree a little more balance including more resources put toward instanced group content would be nice.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

Just now, Vicious JG.2547 said:

Is this an out-of-season April's fool joke?

Oh wait...April in less than 2 days.

Imagine if Anet had an obvious parody spoof GW3 announcement all planned to drop next week, like the commando class, and then this happens in a shareholder meeting and the internet blows up XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Consider the publication source and that should speak for itself.   Until there is actually an official announcement from ANet that details concrete plans for a new game, I am not holding my breath.  What he said could have been poorly translated, taken out of context, or for all we know not even said. 

For all the "confused" people:  Anet did have something to say about this "announcement," later in the day yesterday. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Surelia.2651 said:

For all the "confused" people:  Anet did have something to say about this "announcement," later in the day yesterday. 

Indeed, and NCSoft and Arenanet are pretty clearly consistent on it.

34 minutes ago, Sunyavadin.7962 said:

So, we have NCSoft saying after the meeting:
“The Guild Wars 3 project is in the review stage and the start of development has not been finalized.”
And Arenanet when asked by MMORPG.com for comment, stating:
"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now."

Both are clear that Arenanet have proposed a possible GW3, but NCsoft have not greenlit it as of yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sunyavadin.7962 said:

Indeed, and NCSoft and Arenanet are pretty clearly consistent on it.

Both are clear that Arenanet have proposed a possible GW3, but NCsoft have not greenlit it as of yet.

Yes.  And I have seen more proposed, considered, green lit, and hyped titles over the years which never saw the light of day than I can shake a stick at.  Not holding my breath on this either as anything is possible, given the obvious issues with NCSoft.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Yes.  And I have seen more proposed, considered, green lit, and hyped titles over the years which never saw the light of day than I can shake a stick at.  Not holding my breath on this either as anything is possible, given the obvious issues with NCSoft.  

Exactly. Even if it is greenlit, and that's a big if, we're looking at a period of hiring to bring on the necessary staff, many years of development in which all sorts of things can happen to the industry, but at the moment its existence is not even as concrete as that.

Edited by Sunyavadin.7962
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I agree with the thought that - while its fun to speculate - we should probably wait to hear IF/when something is officially announced by Anet. It would be a huge undertaking to rebuild the code and update GW2 to a new engine, but how much more or less risky is that compared to dev-ing an entire new game at this stage(?). Many players play GW2 because you can play it with very minimal hardware. I first began playing this game on an i5 650 and a Radeon 5070. This group of players will be completely left out of a new game as many cant afford to upgrade. Hopefully one day, PCs go the route of TVs and become a basically mastered tech that becomes super cheap because they're super easy to manufacture - but thats another topic. Like many of us - I want more from Anet, but their recent content - while decent - has been rather uninspired compared to installments of the past. Was the creativity of HoT a one-shot, or the game changing impact of PoF a tease. Of course, this lack of inspiration can be explained by the dev-ing of a new game, but I can almost guarantee that many of us will not give up our time, our friendships, our knowledge, or things left undone to move over to the new shinney; surely Anet has considered all of this and knows that there is a huge risk here. Even if it is official - what sort of arrival time can we speculate, especially when its been announced so abruptly in its early stages. 

Personally, I believe a remastered game is their best bet. It allows them to deliver more while keeping most of whats already intact. Potato gamers could probably still play with some adjusted settings. If this announcement is official though, then a remaster is of course just a dream. 

Otherwise - I can only imagine this announcement being official sounding good to players who have 30k plus hours and nothing left to do - which is a very small percentage of players. I guess it would also sound good to players with certain entitlements, but most of the core player group who have supported this game through love and friendship are probably not feeling very considered by this - IF it is official.

Also - I am not sure how confident I am in this current dev team to deliver a new game that holds up to the history and longevity of the GW franchise. 

Jeez, I mean it seems like there is so much left to do and see that we havent even had a chance to discover yet. More of the map visible game world is covered in fog than what we actually get to play in - probably close to twice as large. The move from GW1 to 2 made sense but, will GW3 take place another 250 years in the future. I dont know. I like the idea of a fresh coat of paint and more creativity but not a new game. 

Edited by Jianyu.7065
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

After reading through all 12 pages of this thread its clear that there are a large number of players who are upset by the sate of the game and the SoTo expansion. These same player's seem to be looking forward to and endorsing GW3 as some sort of panaca that will make everything better. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with that!

However I hope that all these same people realize that if GW3 is approved for development full time that the same devs that made SoTo would likely be making GW3.

Just an onservation based on a reoccurring theme I have seen in this thread.

Edited by Entara.3075
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

To the people who want to leave everything behind and have no problem starting from scratch in a new a potential new GW game: you are delusional or you have kiten off money to simply buy everything you need through microtransactions. No sane human would want to grind through so much content ever again. Either transfer EVERYTHING I have or might as well just delete my characters, not going to play it.

Also, I hope the guy that talked about GW 3 in that meeting gets to give some explanation to higher ups. It's clear that the overall player vibes are negative in this thread. I seriously wonder if I should even bother going for a legendary now. And no, I don't care if it would take 3 years or 5 years until a new game is released, it's still overall demoralizing to know GW 2 is on the chopping block.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Blood.7254 said:

I was thinking along the same lines.

However, I was more of a doomer lol. Arenanet is not profitable apparently. Which is absolutely crazy to think about. At least to an outsider like me. Their financial reports show GW2 is currently in a solid place when compared to the past 8-9 years. Meaning the overall income has been about the average, with a smaller studio since the 2019 layoffs. We know that since covid GW2 has had a steady income of new players and Arenanet actually said their playerbase increased by a lot at some point during/after EoD.

As far as I know, the comment is that the other properties of NCwest aren't doing good. GW2 is in the green, but the other companies were not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cassian.6540 said:

To the people who want to leave everything behind and have no problem starting from scratch in a new a potential new GW game: you are delusional or you have kiten off money to simply buy everything you need through microtransactions. No sane human would want to grind through so much content ever again. Either transfer EVERYTHING I have or might as well just delete my characters, not going to play it.

Also, I hope the guy that talked about GW 3 in that meeting gets to give some explanation to higher ups. It's clear that the overall player vibes are negative in this thread. I seriously wonder if I should even bother going for a legendary now. And no, I don't care if it would take 3 years or 5 years until a new game is released, it's still overall demoralizing to know GW 2 is on the chopping block.

I've been through multiple MMO closures, and at least two other live service game closures. I know live service games are finite by nature and that nothing I have or get is permanent, no matter how much money I could spend. They will all end one day, even if that is something sad to think about. I play MMOs fully knowing they could be shut down at any time, and I still have fun doing it. I don't view it as time wasted. I had fun, I made connections with people (some of whom I still talk to and it's been almost 20 years since I first met them), and I got to run around with my shinies for however long that was. If I had my adventures and enjoyed them, then that was nice.

Guild Wars 1 is still open, and that came out in the 00s. GW2 isn't about to go maintenance mode any time soon, especially since it's carrying the NA/EU market and outperforming both Aion and Blade&Soul (and possibly T&L, but they didn't post the gaming breakdown with the games for Q4 that I could find), even with how heavily p2w monetized Aion/B&S are. I will enjoy my game while I have it. 

GW3, if it ever does come, is still years out in the future, and that's assuming it can survive NCsoft's gross incompetence. I'm not going to worry about it. I could get another bachelor's degree in the time it will take to optimistically have a pre-alpha product for GW3. Probably get a master's degree, even, too, before a proper alpha. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

I think people are a bit over their skiis, has there been any confirmation that the GW3 project is even a MMO?

When you put the question and Anets statement together, it feels like the answer might very well be no. Question is talking about the IP, Anet is talking about various title projects. Hrm. If you expand the IP into other genre's of games you wont cannibalize your main cash cow. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

I've been through multiple MMO closures, and at least two other live service game closures. I know live service games are finite by nature and that nothing I have or get is permanent, no matter how much money I could spend. They will all end one day, even if that is something sad to think about. I play MMOs fully knowing they could be shut down at any time, and I still have fun doing it. I don't view it as time wasted. I had fun, I made connections with people (some of whom I still talk to and it's been almost 20 years since I first met them), and I got to run around with my shinies for however long that was. If I had my adventures and enjoyed them, then that was nice.

Guild Wars 1 is still open, and that came out in the 00s. GW2 isn't about to go maintenance mode any time soon, especially since it's carrying the NA/EU market and outperforming both Aion and Blade&Soul (and possibly T&L, but they didn't post the gaming breakdown with the games for Q4 that I could find), even with how heavily p2w monetized Aion/B&S are. I will enjoy my game while I have it. 

GW3, if it ever does come, is still years out in the future, and that's assuming it can survive NCsoft's gross incompetence. I'm not going to worry about it. I could get another bachelor's degree in the time it will take to optimistically have a pre-alpha product for GW3. Probably get a master's degree, even, too, before a proper alpha. 

totally agree i also will stay. perhaps gw2 and gw3 can life in a symbiotic manner.

wow did a wow retail and wow classic both can exist.

i assume gw3 is at least 3 years away. I welcome it and it will not take away gw2 fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4