Do you Exchange Gems for gold?

Do you exchange Gems for Gold  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you exchange Gems for Gold

• Yes
    • No

I have when running guild competitions to purchase legendary weapons for the prizes, but I never do it for my own account. It absolutely devalues what you've purchased, especially if you turn something that's supposed to be a huge accomplishment into simply ~$100 like a gen 3 legendary.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Sometimes, yeah. If I'm close to finishing a leggy and just want it to be over with I may put like 10$ into gems into gold to buy the rest of the mats. Is usually just a matter of impatience or just not feeling in the mood to farm another few days.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Back when the game first started, I traded some gems for gold to give my account a starting boost so I could buy the stuff I wanted. Since then, I haven't needed to. No, it didn't affect my view on things I bought, which was just normal gearing the characters kind of expenses, as opposed to doing it for a legendary or some expensive infusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Back when the game first started, I traded some gems for gold to give my account a starting boost so I could buy the stuff I wanted. Since then, I haven't needed to. No, it didn't affect my view on things I bought, which was just normal gearing the characters kind of expenses, as opposed to doing it for a legendary or some expensive infusion.

I did the exact opposite at the start, turned all my gold into gems. Thousands of them for a handful of gold.

I've actually never spent any money on gems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have in the past when nearing the finish line for a legendary and I just want it to be done with... but its not a regular thing.   Can count on one hand how many times I've done in 12 years and still have fingers left.   

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Gems are gems. Gold are gold. I try to keep them both separated. Using real money to buy gems. (Though with them moving to a yearly new expansion thing I just get the ultimate edition and 4k gems per year from that is enough.)

Only the gold -> gems (opposite direction than this thread is about) I do sometimes. if I miss a lil bit. Like having 360 left wanting to buy something that costs 400. Then trading gold to get 40 gems. The other direction ... seems a lot worse. Maybe only for people that have a lot of money and less free time to play.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, asket.5674 said:

Thanks for your honest takes, very interesting :)!

Not sure if you have came from games where there is a stigma around buying content or gold for money but in GW2 its fine, the game is not pay to win, and you are actively supporting the game. For me, I tend to buy gems for gold as its much more efficient and gold is easy to come by, but much like others i've bought gold to speed up a legendary or 2.  Go for what gives you most pleasure I would say.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Thanks 4

I voted no because I can't remember any time I've done it, but I've been playing a long time so I might have at some point and just forgotten. I've definitely never bought gems to convert to gold though because I think that would be a waste of money. I'm never in that much of a hurry to get something with gold, and I get gold anyway while I'm playing and can't use it for anything outside the game so I might as well spend it on in-game things I want. Whereas I have tons of other uses for real money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i've put no but only out of personal preference. i'll happily through the plastic at gems to buy my self skins, character slots etc but i prefer to keep my item progression to what i earn in game. however i've absolutely no issue with those that do. it's their game and it doesn't effect me 1 single bit 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

No, but I only get gems with gold.

But even if I did, I would not care. What's mine is mine, as long as it is through legal means. Someone else's valuation of how I got it is irrelevant, and if they truly think it is worthless just because I bought it, they're free to give me another free "worthless" legendary. 😉

Like really, even for legendaries I self crafted, I didn't manually farm all the materials.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I don't. I'll use real money to buy gems to buy QoL improvements like salvagomatics, permanent gathering tools, a lounge, bags, slots, etc. Some of those will then generate gold (eg volatile gathering tools in particular generate decent gold) and I'm fine with that.

But paying real money to buy gems to buy gold for my in game goals (eg legendaries) feels like a slippery slope for me personally. I can see doing it to just get the last few resources to finish a legendary after getting most of the way there (tho personally I haven't done that). However, I personally don't want to approach the point of just spending real money to buy a legendary outright because it feels to me like at that point I would be paying money to avoid playing the game, which means the game itself is no longer interesting me enough and I should stop playing it.

Thinking further, this is because crafting legendaries is one of my in game goals. I can see that if someone's only in game goals were to get really good at raids, fractals or WvW, or some other aspirational thing then maybe legendaries (or other gold sinks) would just be an annoying obstacle in the way of their real in game goals in which case spending real money to remove those obstacles would make more sense than it does for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I voted yes, because there's no "occasional/situational" option.

After some BLT purchases, I end up with a trivial pocket-change amount of gems left over, and about half the time I'll convert them.

If it's more than 10 gems, generally not because it's really just me being semi-OCD about keeping my wallet's numbers tidy than about the gold. 😜

• Haha 1

Ack, add another to the 'misread the question and accidentally voted yes instead of no' counter... I've never traded gems for gold, honestly I've never felt like I needed to either. If anything I tend to gradually trade in gold for gems whenever the rates are decent, if just so that I don't wind up spending hundreds to get all the skins and character slots I'm after. I do still buy gems occasionally mind you, just not to turn them into gold.

I have nothing against people who do buy gold with gems, though! In fact, I think people should do it more. I'm definitely not saying that so the exchange rates improve, nope not at all.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I bought gems for real money in stores that have a discount, which is rare (like 2 times so far afaik). And I buy the most expensive edition of the expansions.

But I don't and won't trade gems for gold. The trade ratio is not acceptable.
If you're doing it as an act of desperation to finally be done with something long term, I can understand it.
But I wait another day, a week or a month until I'm finished.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Thanks 1

I do that to buy off having to grind things. This game does have a tendency to use ridiculous amounts of materials. Particularly, trophies like vials of blood, totems, claws and such. Every time I make a legendary that's the last thing I have to do and I just cba to wait after everything else I put in it to wait for that thankless task to be completed.

The game doesn't have a sub anyways, so the way I look at it I drop some gems to buy gold with every month to buy off that grind. Also note that we don't have much to do with gold sellers in this game. I can't remember the last time I saw a gold seller in GW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Never bought gold with gems, for many of the same reasons mentioned above. But no idea why doing so would devalue purchases? If anything, grinding everything out has caused me to question whether I should be placing a higher value on my time ; p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2