Removed rune 6 bonuses

When are the good rune slot 6 bonuses that got removed when  relics got added going to be reintroduced as new/base relics ? I'm talking about :

- multiple runes that gave you 10% max hp

- multiple runes that summoned companions : tropical bird, golem, rock dog, jagged horror, etc

- rebirth runes that gave you rebound effect on 90 sec cooldown + barrier

- multiple runes that gave you either combo fields, auras or increased the duration of all auras

I'm sure there are others but these come to mind. Didn't appreciate losing my double pet ranger then, and I still don't.

Also, since relics came out with SoTo, I feel forced to point out just what waste of a great opportunity it was to not have turned the effect of the old sigil of demons that summoned a fleshweaver into a relic that summons a kryptis.

Edited by vardeleanu.8972
  • Like 16
  • Confused 10

I want my Rock Dog back. However, they haven't given us any reason to believe (or even do as little as hope) that any of these will ever come back.

As it currently stands, we are better off considering them permanently gone.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Despite being one of the few runes that actually deserved to be removed, I would like to have my fire-rune back. Nobody really appreciated it, barely anyone remembers it. But it was extremely useful in the hands of those who used it on purpose.

Removing the pets looks like a long-term-plan. I guess we get them back sooner or later as some kind of downgraded companion-system. Looking at the SotO and new expansion features, they are granting our old requests one by one. Companions were almost as frequently requested as housing and spears. 😉 

The HP bonuses became sort-of obsolete when they did the anvil-rework and introduced the jade-bots with the tier 10 power cores. Which both are just massive HP boosts for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Maybe it will be a surprise feature of the new expansion? I can hype hope, right?

If they bring they the summons back, they need to be part of the base game as they have been before.

Making them "expansion features" is literally asking players to cough up more money to get back the things they had since the early days of the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

On 6/16/2024 at 9:53 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

I want my Rock Dog back. However, they haven't given us any reason to believe (or even do as little as hope) that any of these will ever come back.

As it currently stands, we are better off considering them permanently gone.

Actually, they did say originally that with time more and more core relics will get added (and in context used it was about returning options that got removed). It's just they have quietly and conveniently (for them, not for players) forgotten about it. or perhaps they never intended to actually make good on it in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

51 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Actually, they did say originally that with time more and more core relics will get added (and in context used it was about returning options that got removed). It's just they have quietly and conveniently (for them, not for players) forgotten about it. or perhaps they never intended to actually make good on it in the first place.

They did state that. But so far, they haven't followed up on those words.

And until they follow up on those words, I have no reason to believe those words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

They did state that. But so far, they haven't followed up on those words.

Indeed. And a lot of what was going on then, with the relic introduction, leads me to believe that at least some of those statements ending up unfulfilled cannot be just blamed on forgetfullness or changing priorities, but were actually intentionally misleading from the very beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

What they stated is that some relic effects will be inspired by the bonus rune effects, not that all the old ones will come back. They also stated that with introduction of relics, they want the included effects to be more active.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They also stated that with introduction of relics, they want the included effects to be more active.

They also introduced relics like Relic of the Warrior and Relic of the Thief that are entirely passive or have triggers that are so trivial that the effects may as well be passive.

So, if they wanted to, they could easily make relics that give back the old summons and keep the trigger as trivial as "When entering combat", "upon critically striking an enemy" or simply repeat Relic of the Thief's trigger.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

They also introduced relics like Relic of the Warrior and Relic of the Thief that are entirely passive or have triggers that are so trivial that the effects may as well be passive.

So, if they wanted to, they could easily make relics that give back the old summons and keep the trigger as trivial as "When entering combat", "upon critically striking an enemy" or simply repeat Relic of the Thief's trigger.

They can do whatever they want with the game if they wanted to, I'm not sure this is news here or anything relevant to what's written about relics. The point was I'm not sure "they said they'll give back all old effects" is true, since what they said is some of the new effects will be inspired by the old ones -and that alone should let you know it wasn't planned for all of the old ones to make it back into the game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost all relics are such a huge letdown when trying to theorycraft because of overly long ICDs, being neutered in competitive game modes, or just not really doing anything interesting and effectively being a passive damage buff.

The best one is still https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic_of_Speed because at least that makes your build feel different when you play it. Zoom zoom!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They can do whatever they want with the game if they wanted to, I'm not sure this is news here or anything relevant to what's written about relics. The point was I'm not sure "they said they'll give back all old effects" is true, since what they said is some of the new effects will be inspired by the old ones -and that alone should let you know it wasn't planned for all of the old ones to make it back into the game.

Your point that I quoted was about them wanting relics to be "more active" and I pointed out that there are relics with effects which technically are not "more active".

The part with the summons was just examples that more passive or nearly-passive relics could happen in the future and how they could look like.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/20/2024 at 9:44 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

What they stated is that some relic effects will be inspired by the bonus rune effects, not that all the old ones will come back. They also stated that with introduction of relics, they want the included effects to be more active.

Maybe. They weren't exactly specific about what they were planning to introduce. They did say however they will be introducing more core relics with subsequent patches. And on that part there's no ambiguity - they simply didn't do it at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Maybe. They weren't exactly specific about what they were planning to introduce. They did say however they will be introducing more core relics with subsequent patches. And on that part there's no ambiguity - they simply didn't do it at all.

As mentioned, considering they said ~some of the new relics will be inspired by the rune bonus effects, I don't think they said it "in context of returning options they removed", but rather as relics that aren't attached to the core game. And yes, I agree that they should add some relics available without expansion purchases if that's what they promised (and I very much think it is what they promised).

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:45 AM, Panda.1967 said:

Still waiting for the Jagged Horrors Relic too for my necromancer…

I was looking forward to that the most since I liked the pet but hated the rune stats. There was never a condi equivalent to golemancer and I was excited for relic system to fix that but to my surprise I didn't expect nearly all 6th bonus effects to be deleted.

• Confused 1

On 6/20/2024 at 3:44 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe, but the whole change seems to be done with only grouped pve in mind. And while it may seem that we use more relics than before, in reality most builds now use 1-2 in all game modes, with these being different for every class/build. It seems the change was make it easier for devs to balance not to give more options to the player.

We would have seen far more diversity if they just kept all the old 6th and made them runes versus now. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 6/30/2024 at 11:31 PM, otto.5684 said:

Maybe, but the whole change seems to be done with only grouped pve in mind. And while it may seem that we use more relics than before, in reality most builds now use 1-2 in all game modes, with these being different for every class/build. It seems the change was make it easier for devs to balance not to give more options to the player.

We would have seen far more diversity if they just kept all the old 6th and made them runes versus now. 

Well, not really, there are far more diversity in relics now than there were when it what only runes. Let's face it, 95% of runes 6th effect were trash never used in any game mode.

So yeah, of course, in the meta, not every relics are used to, but that number is far superior compared to before.

• Like 3

well, a lot of 6th rune bonuses were not used at all, but just because such things weren't part of the meta *didn't* mean they were discarded. to pick an example, I loved the old zephyrite rune because it lengthened superspeed's duration, and that is now impossible. 

whether or not anet plans to reintroduce the golem, rock dog, or other old 6th rune bonuses as relics is a mystery. anet ended up changing a lot of old 6th runes bonuses when they became relics; in other cases, they even swapped effects such as relic of nightmare having old rune of sunless' fear + poison proc upon using an elite skill.

for core relics, there are fewer choices right now but at least many of them get used, especially by core players and other players with the first 3 expansions, but don't own SOTO.

I'd love to have the old 6th rune of perplexity or rune of mesmer on relics; Idk how much longer it'll be before new additional core relics are added.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:44 AM, vardeleanu.8972 said:

When are the good rune slot 6 bonuses that got removed when  relics got added going to be reintroduced as new/base relics ? I'm talking about :

- multiple runes that gave you 10% max hp

- multiple runes that summoned companions : tropical bird, golem, rock dog, jagged horror, etc

- rebirth runes that gave you rebound effect on 90 sec cooldown + barrier

- multiple runes that gave you either combo fields, auras or increased the duration of all auras

I'm sure there are others but these come to mind. Didn't appreciate losing my double pet ranger then, and I still don't.

Also, since relics came out with SoTo, I feel forced to point out just what waste of a great opportunity it was to not have turned the effect of the old sigil of demons that summoned a fleshweaver into a relic that summons a kryptis.

Would like to see summons come back as a set bonus. Great fun with the triple golem stack that Mechanists could do as an Azuran, even if they were unwieldy to play with.

• Confused 3

They should have simply stated that 6th rune bonuses would be removed and relics would be added as a different system. The way it was presented had many of us thinking the 6th rune bonuses would become relics. This change is still not appreciated and I think they should do a follow up article explaining their intentions to the players. That way we can stop hoping for something they never intended to give us.

• Confused 2