New nonsense mode discussion: Full Loot PKing in EotM

Posted (edited)

I just wanna gauge the interest of a mode where you drop ALL your gear upon death. Naturally it's not remotely profitable with how easy it is to obtain Exotic and Ascended gear but would it be interesting enough as a risk based PvP format?

Only things like Leggy and Bags are exempt from drop but everything else is fair game. Thoughts?

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 19
  • Sad 1

• Jobber.6348 changed the title to New nonsense mode discussion: Full Loot PKing in EotM

I would say: It's not Minecraft. 

I can see where you are coming from but from PvE player perspective, if you're running with pugs, some people are desperate for achivements, finishing some stuff or just grind. To me this type of game mode in PvE would be a nonsesne and I don't really see any use to that. Maybe could work in some "fancy" PvP without toxicity and for players to have fun. Like for example Overwatch update years ago with custom gameplay options (hide-and-seek on customs arenas etc). I find many bosses and CM's having enough mechanics that players love & hate that adding this one would be a total madness and more complains on forums and about gameplay. It would bring more frustration that it is. 

Given that - We have "rally" mechanics. It would have to be totally reworked. I imagine the amount of balance for HP, AoE and other stuff around that game mode would be too much work for just a simple armor drop. The last question is: What's the point of that mechanic? What should it bring to the game?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kanon.4857 said:

I would say: It's not Minecraft. 

I can see where you are coming from but from PvE player perspective, if you're running with pugs, some people are desperate for achivements, finishing some stuff or just grind. To me this type of game mode in PvE would be a nonsesne and I don't really see any use to that. Maybe could work in some "fancy" PvP without toxicity and for players to have fun. Like for example Overwatch update years ago with custom gameplay options (hide-and-seek on customs arenas etc). I find many bosses and CM's having enough mechanics that players love & hate that adding this one would be a total madness and more complains on forums and about gameplay. It would bring more frustration that it is. 

Given that - We have "rally" mechanics. It would have to be totally reworked. I imagine the amount of balance for HP, AoE and other stuff around that game mode would be too much work for just a simple armor drop. The last question is: What's the point of that mechanic? What should it bring to the game?

Aim here is to reuse the EotM map and its innate mechanics for purposes of a FFA style PvP content. I've played other games like Albion and Runescape where part of the supposed thrill is PKing and getting PKed with a risk of losing gear. Perhaps such a mode could attract a more varied audience into Gw2 as a whole who might expand their interests to the rich world. As Gw2's gear is a little like RS and Albion where there are "tiers" but not necessarily ridiculously rare equipment drops, it could still give the thrill of risk while making sure a player participating doesn't get put down so bad that they've lost irreplaceable gear investment. 

Perhaps a better way to approach this is a standalone mode where you have an isolated loadout to interact with this special ecosystem. You can buy basic Armor at spawn and kill PvE npcs to drop Uncommon, Masterwork and Rare gear later on. Then when you kill enemy players, you could repurpose their loot and equipment for your own purposes. 

Really appreciate your thoughts about this, it's just one of those topics where I wanna peek into people's minds a little. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Sooooooo. 

If im full legendary, i have no downside? 

39 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Perhaps a better way to approach this is a standalone mode where you have an isolated loadout to interact with this special ecosystem. You can buy basic Armor at spawn and kill PvE npcs to drop Uncommon, Masterwork and Rare gear later on. Then when you kill enemy players, you could repurpose their loot and equipment for your own purposes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

No need to discuss. As already mentioned: It is nonsense. Game is not made for such stuff. At max they should make a PvP game mode where you can 1 vs. 1 with making wagers/bets. The winner taking some gold.

I do not think the risk of losing gear is interesting or anything like that. Other games are other games. This is GW2. The main interest in game modes (and I also liked some other stuff similar to WvW in other games a lot better) is the lore and reason why you fight. In bigger sized game modes. I usually prefer faction-based combat (vs. free for all) and the Warhammer Online did a nice job back then.

In WvW - now even with servers removed ... it is pretty dull. A race vs race they could not have made cause of the lore (where all races are allied against the dragons and other threats). The best that I hoped for (now with servers being removed or not relevant anymore it won't happen): A mode where you actually can win ... capture maybe the enemy spawn in EBG ... this then affecting the players from that server even in PvE or affecting prices at vendors or other stuff.

Now sure how/why a FFA would be interesting to anyone. (Except a small population that of course exists ... that might like it. Not seeing a big amount of players as the target audience though.)

Imo they should work on a better connection of the borderlands towards the EBG (ultimate goal the EGB) - not just some cheap orbs to cap and stuff. (To make it relevant to play everywhere. Not just cap. Then move maps and cap somewhere else - not really trying to defend unless it is a T3.)

For the normal PvP I am looking forward to the planned new game mode. (Still no real info about this yet.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I always liked the thrill of PK and possibility to lose gear and stuff in mmorpgs.

It could be a separate loadout and also separate gear that comes exclusively from that mode. You start with rare and can obtain better but also lose it if killed. Although than its a question of how thrilling it still is.

But I am not sure how many players would be interested in this game.

Edited by Cuks.8241
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

But I am not sure how many players would be interested in this game.

This is the main thing right here. I don't see many players here being interested in this at all.

Just think about how unpopular PvP already is and how much a lot of people want to avoid it at all costs.

• Like 6

Some elite builds today are also so strong they can run without armor and weapons and still kill anything.

Even ignoring those, the mode would be heavily skewed to everyone just running gank builds. I suppose it would be a DEs version of paradise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

So in the end people do like southsun survival?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This exact ecosystem exists in EVE:Online - it works there but the game was designed that way all the way down to the isolated markets and most equipment being crafted and sold by players.

The idea is you don't go out and fight in your best gear if you can't afford to lose it.

I don't personally think it would be embraced by the GW2 community though, much less as an optional mode. It's one of those all or nothing features you build the whole game around, and that attracts a different demographic to the majority of current GW2 players.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

No one would play it. I remember Anrachy Online - which had open world pvp - had gear drops and enemies could loot you, but it got pacthed out eventually because it was unpopular and stupid.

People don't like having their investment invalidated and putting it in a mode for a (likely in my opinion) handful of people to play is wasteful

I don't really see what gap in the game this trying to fill

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Because foll-loot games have been so succesful in recent decades....

Nah, it's fine. If you want EotM to be played give it pips and people will come.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

I just wanna gauge the interest of a mode where you drop ALL your gear upon death. Naturally it's not remotely profitable with how easy it is to obtain Exotic and Ascended gear but would it be interesting enough as a risk based PvP format?

Only things like Leggy and Bags are exempt from drop but everything else is fair game. Thoughts?

That sounds absolutely horrible in any game mode. I wouldn't participate for any amount of achievement points.

I suppose people could have a set of rare gear for any non-Legendary pieces, but still.

So dropped gear would no longer be account or soul-bound to the original character?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

So people who have full legendary gear can go into this mode and freely farm other players with no risk to themselves? That sounds like a great way to discourage anyone else from bothering because they're never going to be on a fair playing field.

There's not really any way around that because since the legendary armoury was added I don't think Anet could remove legendaries from an account if they wanted to. But it still means the mode would be inherently unfair for anyone not using full legendaries, and if everyone was using full legendaries then it'd be useless because there would be nothing to loot.

Having seperate equipment which is only earned, used and lost in this mode would fix that problem, but then makes it a self-contained thing that's only going to appeal to anyone for the sake of the fights...and that's exactly how the existing PvP mode was designed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Having seperate equipment which is only earned, used and lost in this mode would fix that problem, but then makes it a self-contained thing that's only going to appeal to anyone for the sake of the fights...and that's exactly how the existing PvP mode was designed.

That is exactly how it should work.

Anything involving actual items would probably be a clusterkitten given account bound nature of things.  Plus the additional problems of people wanting to exploit/grief is much higher stakes.

We also know that gamers  aren't exactly the most responsible players either so putting them in a situation where they can brick their characters is not desirable. Yea, you could argue that they agreed upon that, but we all know nobody reads and that just sounds like a pain for support to deal with.

Like balance in this game in pvp content is already extremely bad, but you don't really suffer from much more than ego if you die; if you lose everything because of the balance team, that's naturally a ton more resentment.

It would place significant pressure on the balance team to do their jobs, and well, 🤣

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

So people with full legendary gear would be immune to the consequences of failure in this proposed game mode?

A game mode that seems designed to drive sales of bank tabs, because you will not want to keep gear in you character's bags for something like this, and which renders some characters immune to the big downside, seems like a bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Actually, I am in favor of this being added:

Have character on Account 1 get killed by a character on Account 2. That gear becomes unbound.

Have character on Account 2 get killed by a character on Account 1. That same gear can now be bound to another character!

Also useful for transferring Ascended gear to an alt account. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

OMG the game is already a painful grind for newbs to get to a point where they can quickly get ascended gear, let alone legendary gear.

If gearing up weren't such a huge time sink, I would be for a mode like this, but GW2's system is already so archaic and anti-accessible (in comparison to the pick-up-and-play games of this decade) this would be horrible.

Also if WvW weren't already so punishing for failure by forcing long, slow travel back to points of engagement.

Would have to be an entirely new gear progression system that is better balanced around quick acquisition and easy loss.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2