Okay, its 3am, I wanna question things

What exactly is a "FOCUS" what is that in real life? Why is this a weapon in a game? what do you exactly use it for?

Also warhorns? for offhand??? 

I kinda wanna know what was the thought process for this design.... 

also why is thief not getting greatsword??? 

Edited by Sinister.5792
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

If Warhorn was Main Hand, it would need an Auto Attack. 

So.. Do we bash the enemy over the head with it or toot loud enough to the point is hurts? What about enemies that can't hear? 

I guess because thief is about being sneaky/stealthy and wielding a gigantic sword is pretty much the opposite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If Warhorn was Main Hand, it would need an Auto Attack. 

So.. Do we bash the enemy over the head with it or toot loud enough to the point is hurts? What about enemies that can't hear? 

I guess because thief is about being sneaky/stealthy and wielding a gigantic sword is pretty much the opposite. 

but a big stick and a giant rifle is a okey?

• Haha 2

Personally I don't care for thief getting a greatsword and just want them to finally get a new offhand already.  They've got a whole gimmick where their 3 skill changes with the offhand but have (or will have with the new expansion) gotten more two handed weapons than anything else. 

Edited by Eekasqueak.7850
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well a sniper is sneaky because they aren't in the immediate area.  And you do look around trying to see where the shot came from.

I have no justification for daredevil.  That is just a martial artist and should have been a warrior class imo.  Or maybe someone in the design team really liked the quote, "walk softly and carry a big stick."  -Theodore Roosevelt, I think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Well a sniper is sneaky because they aren't in the immediate area.  And you do look around trying to see where the shot came from.

I have no justification for daredevil.  That is just a martial artist and should have been a warrior class imo.  Or maybe someone in the design team really liked the quote, "walk softly and carry a big stick."  -Theodore Roosevelt, I think.

Well Daredevil is more evasive than stealthy I guess? Thematically at least, and that can still fall under the rogue archetype thief has. 

• Like 1

What is a "focus": it's like a smartphone but you only have 2 API on them.

A Warhorn on OH: It's your boombox, it would be an issue if you were using it as your main hand weapon.

Why is thief not getting greatsword? Because greatsword is a heavy weapon and it would impair thief's agility.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

RL counterpart to a focus is an offhand weapon. Many swords are heavier than they look. If you swing them with your main-hand a little too hard, you can easily lose balance. You either fall over, to the side or break your stance. The stance/forms are used to make self-defense, mobility, counter-strikes and switching from defense to offense significantly easier. If you fight with these weapons, you need full control over your body and your movement. Worst thing that can happen to you mid fight is to lose the rhythm/flow due to recovering from overstepping, which basically grants the enemy a clear strike. 

With a real offhand weapon, like a shield or another sword, you have a counter-weight. That can help you balancing your body or prevent you from falling over. It also allows you to parry counter-attacks and deflecting normal attacks. Having an offhand weapon appears to be quite useful. 

Foci only exist in games. Because they want to look fancy and think it is 'more offensive' if a fighter only wields a single 1H Sword and nothing else. That can work, but only for very light 1H weapons, like a Rapier. RPGs think not very rational. If they see a shield, they see a defensive unit. Even if it is a frontline warrior. Dual wielding swords is often considered a different weapon-type/class/specialization/whatever.

Note: I'm not an expert! I've read a few books about the topic and I like physics. If you have a better explanation, I'm looking forward to learn something new ^^.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Foci only exist in games.

Technically, foci exist in real life though. They just don't have any real magical properties. For example, Christians use their crosses in ceremonies. There's also the Vajra in Hinduism.

So, anything in reality that is an instrument for religious rituals and ceremonies can be viewed as an parallel to foci in games. You could go even further and see good luck charms and other trinkets of intrinsic personal value as a parallel to foci.

Basically, anything that helps you focus your mind can be seen as something akin to foci in games. And the assortment of random items this can include in reality also is reflected in the random assortment of focus skins in GW2 or the offhand items in WoW.

5 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

There already are too many greatswords in the game. We don't need more.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Personally I don't care for thief getting a greatsword and just want them to finally get a new offhand already.  They've got a whole gimmick where their 3 skill changes with the offhand but have (or will have with the new expansion) gotten more two handed weapons than anything else. 

Eversince they did SotO with weaponmaster training I feel like Ele is now sharing this same design curse. Anet will try to avoid giving them a new 1handed because of Weaver dual skills, and every skill 3 will be some copypasted mechanic like Hammer orbs.

Edited by Morvran.8265
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

but a big stick and a giant rifle is a okey?

you do know where staffs as martial weapons came from? Hint: because they could be inconspiciously carried about and not look as a weapon.

Now, of course, most GW2 staff skins are either for mage weapon, or more spear-like and thus hardly inconspicious but that's about specific weapon examples, not weapon type. Dreamer's not exactly stealthy either.

Also, daredevil is more like a martial artist (or ninja) than a pickpocket/cutpurse, and for those staff weapons are quite common.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

What exactly is a "FOCUS"

It's a magical item/artifact that helps focussing your magic (hence the name), making it easier/possible to cast certain spells.

what is that in real life?

Nothing. Magic does not exist in real life -> therefore no focuses.

Why is this a weapon in a game?

Because the game has magic and it gives the wielder certain abilities.

what do you exactly use it for?

As mentioned above, focussing magic -> accessing certain magical abilities.

In other words, it's used to cast magic. Just like scepters and staffs for most classes.

What's the problem?

Would be weird to use it in mainhand attacking enemies by constantly booping on them.

We can't look into Anet's head. But Focuses have a long tradition in the fantasy genre. Let it be orbs, books, ancient artifacts or whatever; if there is magic, there most likely will be focus like items.

Warhorns / horns also are widespread in the fantasy genre. To give signals, control animals, motivate allies or daunt enemies.
However it's mostly only used for such supportive task, never as the main weapon.
Therefore having it for offhand, but not for mainhand only makes sense.

Well, main theme of Thief is being stealthy.
Even Deadeye with their big rifle are stealthy attackers form afar. And Daredevil who use to fight in close combat have a staff as weapon -> a rather light and easy to weild weapon (compared to Greatsword and alike).

Greatsword being big, heavy and slow probably was the original reason why Thiefs did not get one.
But again, we don't know. We can't look into Anet's head.

2 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

What's the problem?

Would be weird to use it in mainhand attacking enemies by constantly booping on them...

Sidenote: I also play LOTRO and as a minstrel I can attack enemies by having a mainhand drum, flute, bassoon, theorbo, bagpipes, or even cowbell. There are more and it's weird at first but you get used to it. 

17 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

What exactly is a "FOCUS" what is that in real life? Why is this a weapon in a game? what do you exactly use it for?

Probably something that helps focusing channeling magic. Voodoo kitten. It's not anything in real life because -and I hate to break it to you- magic isn't real.

Yes.

"We need something to use as offhand weapon that isn't a pointy stick"

Because it was getting different weapons. Question as good as any other "why x didn't get y?".

Driving around with engine misfires and squeaky doors when you arrive at your destination. May I suggest buying a mini morris next time 🚗 Drive in style! 

Please don’t criticize my little reaper rats only excuse to fart in public. He has some excessive flatulence issues

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Eversince they did SotO with weaponmaster training I feel like Ele is now sharing this same design curse. Anet will try to avoid giving them a new 1handed because of Weaver dual skills, and every skill 3 will be some copypasted mechanic like Hammer orbs.

You’ve got it a bit backwards… Ele suffers the opposite design curse… but it results in the same design limits… because of weaver dual skills Ele can’t get a new offhand or else weaver players won’t get a new toy to play with because new offhands have no new dual skills for them to play with… meanwhile thief can’t have a new offhand because dual skills are a core feature and they would rather just make 3 new dual skills than to add a new dual skill to every existing mainhand for thief.

Edited by Panda.1967

23 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

RL counterpart to a focus is an offhand weapon. Many swords are heavier than they look. If you swing them with your main-hand a little too hard, you can easily lose balance. You either fall over, to the side or break your stance. The stance/forms are used to make self-defense, mobility, counter-strikes and switching from defense to offense significantly easier. If you fight with these weapons, you need full control over your body and your movement. Worst thing that can happen to you mid fight is to lose the rhythm/flow due to recovering from overstepping, which basically grants the enemy a clear strike. 

With a real offhand weapon, like a shield or another sword, you have a counter-weight. That can help you balancing your body or prevent you from falling over. It also allows you to parry counter-attacks and deflecting normal attacks. Having an offhand weapon appears to be quite useful. 

Foci only exist in games. Because they want to look fancy and think it is 'more offensive' if a fighter only wields a single 1H Sword and nothing else. That can work, but only for very light 1H weapons, like a Rapier. RPGs think not very rational. If they see a shield, they see a defensive unit. Even if it is a frontline warrior. Dual wielding swords is often considered a different weapon-type/class/specialization/whatever.

Note: I'm not an expert! I've read a few books about the topic and I like physics. If you have a better explanation, I'm looking forward to learn something new ^^.

I've done some single-sword training. Not enough to be an expert, but you absolutely do not need something in your other hand for balance. Offhand weapons are usually primarily for defence and secondarily for an opportunistic strike when your main weapon is in a bind or you're too close.

9 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

You’ve got it a bit backwards… Ele suffers the opposite design curse… but it results in the same design limits… because of weaver dual skills Ele can’t get a new offhand or else weaver players won’t get a new toy to play with because new offhands have no new dual skills for them to play with… meanwhile thief can’t have a new offhand because dual skills are a core feature and they would rather just make 3 new dual skills than to add a new dual skill to every existing mainhand for thief.

Nah, it's pretty clear that ArenaNet is happy to just make new MH and 2H weapons but just make the dual skills so low-effort that the weapon doesn't even work properly with weaver.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

Sidenote: I also play LOTRO and as a minstrel I can attack enemies by having a mainhand drum, flute, bassoon, theorbo, bagpipes, or even cowbell. There are more and it's weird at first but you get used to it. 

But no warhorn! Case closed! /j

• Sad 1