So 5 min in a chair and you are in character select now?

Hm... gonna try out.

EDIT: Yes, being inactive and getting killed will trigger the 5 minutes afk timer. Just combine a) being afk with b) zero movement and interaction and c) combat mode. It's everything what you get. Being on chair and receive the fall damage will trigger that likely. Because taking fall damage activate the combat mode.

Edited by MordekaiZeyo.7318
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hmmm.  Say that I attempt a jumping puzzle and I fall to my death.  If I leave my corpse there to take care of bodily functions and then grab a snack, I have 5 minutes to get back or I will be booted to character select. 

Revive orbs aren't instant.  There is a bit of time between using one and the character reviving.  You can see a rotating orb animation above the character during this waiting period.

If I use a revive orb, and go afk before my character stands up, will I also get tossed to character select? I don't think the orb counts as skill use, and I wouldn't be able to move my character before the orb resolves.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Hmmm.  Say that I attempt a jumping puzzle and I fall to my death.  If I leave my corpse there to take care of bodily functions and then grab a snack, I have 5 minutes to get back or I will be booted to character select. 

Revive orbs aren't instant.  There is a bit of time between using one and the character reviving.  You can see a rotating orb animation above the character during this waiting period.

If I use a revive orb, and go afk before my character stands up, will I also get tossed to character select? I don't think the orb counts as skill use, and I wouldn't be able to move my character before the orb resolves.

Just more or less tested this for ya. Dying to fall damage and using a res orb does not stop the 5 minute AFK timer. You will still get kicked at 5 minutes unless you move. 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Revive Orbs take 10 seconds from the time you click on it to the time the character is alive again. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players to wait 10 seconds to push 1 more button before going AFK.

Also being kicked to character select during a jumping puzzle is unlikely to be a problem because you'll load back in exactly where you were.If you're planning to go away for a bit it's probably a good idea to log out first so you don't have to worry about what's happening to your character while you're away.

• Like 3

Well, it could be an issue on the very long jps with waypoints that reset when you leave the map. Happily, it is very difficult to fall to your death while afk \o/

3 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

alright, I just got kicked out while waiting for Teq… And no, I wasn’t AFK. I was alt-tabbing and scrolling through X, but apparently, I underestimated how quickly 5 minutes can pass… 😕

tbf being alt-tabbed is afk, but at least you've discovered a bad place to stand. It's all wins in this thread tonight \o/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

i understand how it works but 5 min is too much (little). even if I was doing an event and suddenly your family had to bother you or you had to run to the bathroom real bad or your stove was on and you forgot for a moment it could be five minutes and you literally had to run, and you didn't park in a perfectly safe place. so there should be a bit more tolerance around this, even increasing the time slightly to 10 min or better detection factors would be better

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

It's what the letters stand for, yes, but it is well established that in order to be considered not afk in gw2 you need to be able to respond to whispers from gms, which you clearly cannot do when you're alt-tabbed . . .

And standing on a fish head does not seem like a good idea? Once the fish head explodes, wouldn't that kill your turtle and put you in combat? Genuinely asking, I haven't done teq regularly since long before we had turtles ; p High above the field on your skyscale with all the other afkers would seem like a safer choice . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

It's what the letters stand for, yes, but it is well established that in order to be considered not afk in gw2 you need to be able to respond to whispers from gms, which you clearly cannot do when you're alt-tabbed . . .

you hear a sound when someone whispers you and no one from ArenaNet will whisper you when you're afk, waiting for an event.

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

And standing on a fish head does not seem like a good idea? Once the fish head explodes, wouldn't that kill your turtle and put you in combat? Genuinely asking, I haven't done teq regularly since long before we had turtles ; p High above the field on your skyscale with all the other afkers would seem like a safer choice . . .

it puts you in combat but doesn't kill you turtle, only sometimes when the heads respawn faster but that's rare.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

So there needs to be exceptions to this. Standing around at where ever, including EotN as I found tonight, in choya tonic doing nothing but dancing, triggers the 5 minute timer from when you start dancing... really Anet?? Frelling tonic dances count as combat skills? 

Update: And I just spent 30 minutes tabbed out here on the forums no issue with no dance tonic and still there on that toon 🙄

Edited by preacher.9370
update
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes is really too short. For some meta's you have to be in the map 30 minutes before start. A good moment for doing some cleaning, reading, studying, whatever. Otherwise it would be a long time for doing nothing but pressing some keys to prevent a reboot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I might be out of touch, but i see people say "for meta's you need to be on a map early"  or "waiting for events to start". There are things you can do during that time in the map right? And as Danikat explained, just press [w] or any movement button to prevent this. 

And as it stands it onlt takes people out who are in combat. If you go afk in an area where you can get hit, its on you tbh.

I get there are emergency's sometimes. (Kids, phonecalls ect.) But making a fuzz cuz get booted to character select screen is a bit Karenesque behaviour. Events spawn all the time. Its just one click to log back in.

Take it easy, take a breath. And just log back in and play the game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 7/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, Marxx.5021 said:

to prevent AFK farming

On 7/16/2024 at 5:11 PM, Olvendred.3027 said:

to stop afk farming

On 7/16/2024 at 5:38 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

designed to stop AFK farming

If only... this only stops parked auto casters, not anyone running automation.

A much better way would be to look at the mobs themselves. Think about it this way, GW2 already has bonus exp from when a mob hasn't been killed in X amount of time. You just need to do the reverse, any mob that keeps getting killed seconds after spawn stops dropping loot and exp until it's alive for some 5~10 minutes.

That would mean only the automated farmers that move on map would be left to deal with.

• Confused 4

Could slightly lead to issues when you think you are safe - but an event (that you don't remember) pops up. (Which can happen even near safe zones near waypoints ... when the WP then gets contested.) Probably going to hide somewhere on skyscale near a rock or so. At Kaineng near the western WP (where the renown heart is) I got sent to char selection ... when at some point something must have attacked me. (When meta went up and/or events with ranged attacakers were active there and I did not move too far away on the skyscale.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It doesn't matter. Character is in a non combat choya tonic DANCING, with ZERO combat skills that can be used. It shouldn't matter when/where/what it is with that. WTH am I supposedly afk farming with that that the timer needs to apply to it??? Especially at EotN while doing nothing other than waiting for Dragon Storm? WTF are you going to afk farm there? What am I going to afk farm in choya tonic after the wave events waiting for Octovine at one of the gates in AB?

Don't get me wrong, all for this sort of thing to combat these afk multibox leech farmers. Seriously grinds my gears seeing them, especially in Istan where they like to run minimum height asura engis stacked up and hidden by their turrets so you can't even target them and report them. But it seems Anet just did a broad stroke of anything that includes pressing 1-0 and not pressing something else or moving afterwards without taking into consideration (or just don't care) there were non afk farming related things included in that.

Ok, so just hopped in game to check something. I kind of see why they would include this. Ranger pets are stored in choya tonic, but necro minions and engi mech are not stored... so how about an alternative? engi mechs and necro minions get stored while in tonic form like ranger pets and exclude tonic dances from this anti afk initiative?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, keyokku.5412 said:

i understand how it works but 5 min is too much (little). even if I was doing an event and suddenly your family had to bother you or you had to run to the bathroom real bad or your stove was on and you forgot for a moment it could be five minutes and you literally had to run, and you didn't park in a perfectly safe place. so there should be a bit more tolerance around this, even increasing the time slightly to 10 min or better detection factors would be better

If getting to the stove and back takes you 5 minutes or more, tell your buttler to press a key every now and then -or better yet, tell your cook to stop forgetting turning it off.
Also I see we're back to the "afking during events is ok because I wanted to do something else while the other players complete the events to get me the rewards" excuse. If you can't play then turn the game off, go to character select or afk in a city. Alternatively, again, getting to the place where mobs don't spawn isn't really hard nor time consuming.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, preacher.9370 said:

Ok, so just hopped in game to check something. I kind of see why they would include this. Ranger pets are stored in choya tonic, but necro minions and engi mech are not stored... so how about an alternative? engi mechs and necro minions get stored while in tonic form like ranger pets and exclude tonic dances from this anti afk initiative?

Not only are engi mechs not stored, but if you drop a heal turret, rocket turret or rifle turret down and then activate the Dancing Choya potion (well any potion tbh), the turrets remain in place. 

Edited by Andy.5981

6 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

I get there are emergency's sometimes. (Kids, phonecalls ect.) But making a fuzz cuz get booted to character select screen is a bit Karenesque behaviour. Events spawn all the time. Its just one click to log back in.

tbf, it can become very annoying to get kicked from meta maps due to the new AFK timer when the main meta map gets full and the meta only happens every x hours, especially if you've been waiting for the meta for a while on that map. Kind of like getting disconnected at the end of story instances or right before the meta due to connectivity issues.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am starting to find that I'm getting kicked waiting between fights in places. I'm assuming it's happening because monsters are getting dragged to where I am (I suspect unintentionally), usually starting in a chair, not always, but either way, that part seems besides the point. 

It got me thinking more 'about' the chairs though. When I sit in a chair with any of my pet classes, those pets go away. I can't fight while I'm sitting, and I have to not be in combat to sit.

So why aren't chairs invulnerable things? If I can't be in combat, and my pets can't fight for me, and I'm not gaining loot or experience, as I'm not tagging anything or doing anything to help progress a nearby event, should I be sitting when one comes and goes - what would be wrong the harm in that idea?

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

TD 7 minute timer for meta wall. 1 stray chak attack you whilst AFK at 5:30 and you're at character select instead of being dead in that instance 🤣

You know at no point you need to hug the wall, right? Stand on one of the nearby pillars and nothing will aggro on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1