No strikes at all in JW?

3 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Because Fractals suddenly are Strikes suddenly? 😂

That's very much part of the problem. Anet got too into releasing half-baked content with broken and tedious mechanics that Silent Surf fractal was actually made as a strike before it was (not-so-hastily) patched to be a fractal. Not to mention the dumpster fire that is Lonely Tower, labeled a strike mostly because strikes have become defined as "untested content with recycled assets and no contribution to the game's lore" among endgame players.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

4 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

I don't know in what world is that a win for a consumer. Devs are reusing assets, creating half-(insert kitten here)ed mechanics and making zero effort in quality assurance.

You can spread hate as much as you want, it doesn't change th reality. 🙂

Why are you not doing strike CMs? Are they not good enough for you?

Who says I don't do them? Why do you even care?
Why are you getting offtopic more and more?

You literally have more achievements in raids than strikes.

I mean, Raids have 27 encounterss. Strikes have only 14.
That's about the half, ofcourse there are less achievements.

What's your point? And what does that have to do with the actual topic?...

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, Aaron Forestman.4758 said:

Silent Surf fractal was actually made as a strike before it was (not-so-hastily) patched to be a fractal.

Scrapping ideas and reusing them at other occasions is absolutely normal in the gaming industry.
You wouldn't have a lot of content in any game, if that wasn't the case.

The rest of your comment is whataboutism.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

18 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

You can spread hate as much as you want, it doesn't change th reality. 🙂

Who says I don't do them? Why do you even care?
Why are you getting offtopic more and more?

I mean, Raids have 27 encounterss. Strikes have only 14.
That's about the half, ofcourse there are less achievements.

What's your point? And what does that have to do with the actual topic?...

I guess asking ANet to release a piece of content that is playable on release is spreading hatred ya'll. Not to mention every piece of 5-10man content was (most still is) bugged for months, including the very successful strikes. Asking you why are you not doing the very successful strikes is on-topic. It is within the realm of possibility that playerbase that actually enjoys instanced content wants it to be bug free. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

23 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Devs always abandon content that is successful.

Both raids and strikes are slightly different iterations of basically the same type of content. Some of the players kept asking for raids (why? Not sure. I think it's mostly for fresh lore in addition to the encounters, so if w8 will be more or less a replay of a story then I believe it misses the mark), so that's what we're getting this time. It doesn't help your claim that the creation of raids will basically still follow the pattern of how the strikes kept getting implemented: so by reusing story bits/bosses. As it was already mentioned on the previous page, not much changes here in comparison to strikes we kept receiving until now.

On 8/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, Omega.6801 said:

This may come as a surprise to you but...and don't tell this around as it could make some people really mad...but a Raid is just three Strikes in a trenchcoat.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Devs always abandon content that is successful.

That's indeed something that happens rather often in GW2.

Dungeons, Pof bounties, DRMs; Anet (in GW2) is known for trying out new stuff rather than developing existing ones.
IIrc they even mentioned exactly this in their Soto retrospective blog post.

So yeah, joke is on you. 😉 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

I guess asking ANet to release a piece of content that is playable on release is spreading hatred ya'll. Not to mention every piece of 5-10man content was (most still is) bugged for months, including the very successful strikes. Asking you why are you not doing the very successful strikes is on-topic. It is within the realm of possibility that playerbase that actually enjoys instanced content wants it to be bug free. 

So your argument switch to "there are bugs" now?
With the way you argue, it seems like it's your first MMORPG.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:41 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

I didn't say the weren't popular but I was referring to their goal for strikes to serve as a ramp and that was unsuccessful. However, Anet did state that "only a small subset of players engage with the 10-player group instanced content". Please note it doesn't say raids but 10-player group instanced content. So you may find people doing Strikes regularly but that's anecdotal evidence. Anet says clearly says that it's not a big group of players. If you read this blog further, you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-return-of-raiding-and-convergences-in-janthir-wilds/

It's literally a raid article, they don't need to say raid in that sentence.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I personally think raids and strikes are different enough, plus I think strikes take less time typically? So I am more likely to be able to actually do one than a raid when my time is limited. I do think strikes are on average easier than raids, there might be exceptions I've hardly done them all but just having an increased number of bosses means more mechanics to learn and more ways to make a mistake.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ShatteredStars.6548 said:

It's literally a raid article, they don't need to say raid in that sentence.

It literally isn't. The title is about Raids and Convergences. And they do address Strike Mission in the article as well and they say Raid every time, except in the paragraph where they talk about Strikes. So that's what my interpretation is based on.

You don't want to believe it? Fine. But you're the one who's very liberal with the truth here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Context: I started GW2 with Soto in 2023 and I'm glad to see Anet skip Strikes this time around. I come from games like FFXIV where they copy paste the same content from expansion to expansion. So it's good to see GW2 not do that; it's good to see them skip Strikes this time around and instead opt for something new to breathe in new life to the game.

For the expansion after Janthir Wilds they should do a poll though; now that people have tasted Soto Strikes and Janthir Wilds raids; let the community choose for the next expansion. Unless they have something even newer in mind for the expansion after Janthir Wilds.

PS. My biggest issue with Strikes is how noob UNFRIENDLY it is. Seriously, the need for a commander and the professions terminology such as ALAC heal and stuff like that doesn't really help Strikes. Would be better if Strikes didn't "require" commanders and professions needed for them were a bit easier to fill up so people can plop in with a predtermined setup by Anet: 3dps, 2 alac, etc. I know GW2 hates predetermining professions for players but when it comes to content like Strikes the commanders/playerbase kinda does that already; so why not make it easier for players to fill those roles automatically by a system created by Anet?

Edited by Ghastly.3914
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

Context: I started GW2 with Soto in 2023 and I'm glad to see Anet skip Strikes this time around. I come from games like FFXIV where they copy paste the same content from expansion to expansion. So it's good to see GW2 not do that; it's good to see them skip Strikes this time around and instead opt for something new to breathe in new life to the game.

For the expansion after Janthir Wilds they should do a poll though; now that people have tasted Soto Strikes and Janthir Wilds raids; let the community choose for the next expansion. Unless they have something even newer in mind for the expansion after Janthir Wilds.

PS. My biggest issue with Strikes is how noob UNFRIENDLY it is. Seriously, the need for a commander and the professions terminology such as ALAC heal and stuff like that doesn't really help Strikes. Would be better if Strikes didn't "require" commanders and professions needed for them were a bit easier to fill up so people can plop in with a predtermined setup by Anet: 3dps, 2 alac, etc. I know GW2 hates predetermining professions for players but when it comes to content like Strikes the commanders/playerbase kinda does that already; so why not make it easier for players to fill those roles automatically by a system created by Anet?

Just so you know they dont need commanders anyone can start a 10 player squad.

So you are welcome to start doing strikes and asking for what ever you want mate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Squad

Squad creation UI.

To create a squad, open the party UI located on the left hand side of the screen (default: P) and select Create Squad.

Non-commander: A raid squad with no commander tag will be created with the below settings, which can be changed by a commander taking leadership of the squad:

Raid Mode (10-Member Limit)

Allow Members to Send Invites

Allow uninvited players to join?

No.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Just so you know they dont need commanders anyone can start a 10 player squad.

So you are welcome to start doing strikes and asking for what ever you want mate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Squad

Squad creation UI.

To create a squad, open the party UI located on the left hand side of the screen (default: P) and select Create Squad.

Non-commander: A raid squad with no commander tag will be created with the below settings, which can be changed by a commander taking leadership of the squad:

Raid Mode (10-Member Limit)

Allow Members to Send Invites

Allow uninvited players to join?

No.

Yeah? Most times it feels/seemed like no one joined if there wasn't a commander. I always saw comments like:

"No commander? Is this a joke?"

"LF Commander" in the LFG message

"Don't waste our time without a commander"

I might be wrong but that's what I saw when I started doing Strikes all the way to now.

• Confused 4

Most Strikes are "story bosses but stronger", so if there is a boss in the story in JW then Anet can just.. turn it into a Strike.

On 8/8/2024 at 11:58 PM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

They sabotaged Strikes with EoD and SotO by not having a public instance rotation that you can drop into. It didn't help that there was no master portal like raids, fractals, and dungeons has.

You can check the IBS public instance Strikes to see why EoD and Soto got no publinc instances.

I like the strikes overall (esp EoD), I just didn't like the SoTo strikes much because they feel so spongey. For how long it takes the soto strikes to die they don't have enough unique mechanics going on to stop you feeling bored.

I'll be sad to see no new strikes but interested to see how the new raid is. I never much cared for the trash and other bits between bosses, they just feel like pointless filler to me. But I'm more used to ffxiv raids than gw2 or wow ones. Probably why I prefer strikes!

14 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

So they're abandoning strikes in order to make raids again? Wohooo, more content players can't partipate in because "advanced players" will be gatekeeping it! That's what this game needed, totally.

Nobody is able to "gatekeep you from the content". Anyone can create their group in lfg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

So they're abandoning strikes in order to make raids again? Wohooo, more content players can't partipate in because "advanced players" will be gatekeeping it! That's what this game needed, totally.

and it is not raids only 1 single raid wing so far as an experiment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Nobody is able to "gatekeep you from the content". Anyone can create their group in lfg.

This.

Entirely too many people equate others exercising their right to play with whomever they choose with some sort of gate keeping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

So, I was thinking about EoD and SoTO strikes. We basically got 3 strikes per expansion iirc, using assets that were already there (story bosses). In JaWi we will get one Raid with 3 bosses which use assets, presumably, from what's already in the expansion. So essentialy we go from 3x1 to 1x3. Not a massive leap in content creation I would think but still a significant difference. It's going to be interesting to see what this does.

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

You can create your own squad, there is no gatekeeping boogeyman. If you don't want to create your own squad don't cry gatekeeping about not being allowed in other squads.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/1/2024 at 4:14 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

It would seem strikes weren't as successful as they hoped

That was by design. They've been way spongier since EoD, people liked the fast, relaxed environment of them in IBS and they ruined it. Also, raids gave better rewards once you learned them. Most of the strike cms were more difficult than a typical raid. I think another thing that didn't help was if you're raiding, you're guaranteed 3 bosses in a run. For strikes you have that break between each one. 

Really anet's pve team has been completely off in terms of player feel in lots of different types of content since drizzlewood coast imo.  It feels almost mechanical and the feel/experience for the most part feels lost. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 3

On 8/11/2024 at 4:22 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

So, I was thinking about EoD and SoTO strikes. We basically got 3 strikes per expansion iirc, using assets that were already there (story bosses). In JaWi we will get one Raid with 3 bosses which use assets, presumably, from what's already in the expansion. So essentialy we go from 3x1 to 1x3. Not a massive leap in content creation I would think but still a significant difference. It's going to be interesting to see what this does.

HoT has 0 strikes, PoF has 6 or 7 (opinions differ when it comes to "Forging Steel"), EoD has 4, SotO has 2 and the core game has 1 (though that one was developed and released during EoD). So going into JW, a raid wing with 3 bosses is technically 50% more "raid content" than SotO added with its 2 strikes.