I don't like spears (There, I said it! xD)

I'm a necromancer main and the spear didn't enable any truly new build options for me.  It's a melee-oriented power weapon with an interesting resource generating/spending mechanic but the UI-for that resource is AWFUL!!!  Tiny little floating "jalapenos" orbiting my character that are impossible to see until I step out of combat?  A stupid, teeny, tiny white icon on my buff bar?  Do better Anet.

It would have been worth it if spear enabled a better support weapon than staff.  Ultimately its yet another dps weapon that are not as good as other dps weapons.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Personally, I am loving the new spears.

As a mesmer-main, spears enable a fun melee power-virtuoso build that I having a blast with.  After putting hundreds of hours into condi-virt, this is a welcome change for my favorite elite spec.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

ok, you're entitled to your own opinion. Did you just want to vent or was there more to this than that?

Nope, just wanted to express my disappointment with the whole thing. The visual effects are really the worst we have had in the game. My guardian's auto-attack looks like he is spraying pesticide 😄, the flashes look cartoonish, and the AoE effects, gosh - New Year's fireworks, anyone? 😉 

2 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

The ppls killing me in pvp seem to really like it . . .

😂 I bet.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 8

I like spear 3 (the attack when charged) on engineer. Other than that I usually don't zoom in too much to pay attention to spears. Gameplay-wise the damage also seems nice. And skins available - while not too many - are nice as well.

Have not tried any other options yet. (Next will be mesmer.)

22 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Nope, just wanted to express my disappointment with the whole thing. The visual effects are really the worst we have had in the game. My guardian's auto-attack looks like he is spraying pesticide 😄, the flashes look cartoonish, and the AoE effects, gosh - New Year's fireworks, anyone? 😉 

If you don’t like the spear, don’t use it. It’s that simple. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The skill effects make a lot of chaos on the screen if there are multiple spear users. I'm all for being able to see which skill is used, but a mesmer, an ele and a guard (walk into a bar) spamming their spear skills and I cant see kitten anymore... Not a fan.

Also not a fan of the vault kill 1000 enemies with spear task, or the bear arena heart where I'm forced to switch to spear for an event or a few heart tasks. I'll use whichever weapon I feel like, ty.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

So far I really didn't like ranger spear, either thematically or visually, though it seems like a viable weapon. However, I'm really liking spear on a Vindicator and plan to carry on using it as my main weapon. If that's the only good thing that comes out of spear for me then I'll be content since I'm playing my Vindicator a lot more now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

So far I really didn't like ranger spear, either thematically or visually, though it seems like a viable weapon. However, I'm really liking spear on a Vindicator and plan to carry on using it as my main weapon. If that's the only good thing that comes out of spear for me then I'll be content since I'm playing my Vindicator a lot more now.

It appears that this post confused someone. Please clarify for me what the confusing part was for you and I'll be happy to help you understand.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2024 at 3:59 PM, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

It appears that this post confused someone. Please clarify for me what the confusing part was for you and I'll be happy to help you understand.

Don't bother with the trolls. 😄 I like to taunt them, too, but as long as it's anonymous, it's kind of pointless.

Back on topic:

I am glad I am already above 75% of the WV's spear kill task. I doubt I'll ever touch spears again after that (though I have not tried some professions yet, but the whole design isn't my cup of tea, as mentioned in my OP).

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

I haven't paid attention how my chars are carrying the weapon yet.
I like the idea of a weapon that every character can use. Crafted the legendary one from the last vault set because of that. The fish/shark skin on land is quite ridiculous though ^^

Revenant spear has 3 skills that need to be placed by mouse and only 2 skills that target the target. I like the mechanic of pulling the enemies together, add skill 5 followed by skill 3  through them in hopefully the direction they may move. But it also slows me down when placing over the half of the skills manually. The effects are visually really strong. Shocked me at first. But I always see what skill I'm doing xD

Warrior on the other hand has it totally underwhelming from the animations. So the ones who don't like weapon effects, use spear on warrior.

Ranger spear is too slow to switch out skills when using 5 (which replaces the other 4 skills with some ambush attacks). When it switches out its skills I'm already done pressing the skill I actually wanted to execute and have to do it again. Don't like that at all.

2 hours ago, Shade.7240 said:

The walking animations for the spear looks good at least the side walking one where the character aligns the spear shaft with their arm(Human char).

Basically ever movement animation looks good except for the running forward. It's so unnatural the way the character holds the spear. 

• Like 1