Should the ap system be removed from the game ?

MarkoNS.3261

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AP system is supposed to be slow.

It's not meant to be something you complete in a month.

And AP are something you get easy enough just playing the game, with quite literally. no additional effort needed on the players part.

If you do collections you will get AP, if you hunt after titles you get AP, if you collect Skins you get AP.. which.. ta da.. will get you the skins , titles and everything else that AP provides.

How Awesome is that.. a system that rewards you, for doing OTHER rewarding stuff!

Sounds perfect in it's design to me!

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

@Polarfairy.8046 said:The fix for something broken isn't to just throw it away, yes the ap system is a little flawed but we have all put hours of time into it so no, I do not think we should remove it.

this is a fallacy just because you put alot of time in it doesnt make it good and it doesnt mean we should keep it.

What do you think the problem with AP is, and why do you think it can't be fixed?

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@Polarfairy.8046 said:The fix for something broken isn't to just throw it away, yes the ap system is a little flawed but we have all put hours of time into it so no, I do not think we should remove it.

this is a fallacy just because you put alot of time in it doesnt make it good and it doesnt mean we should keep it.

What do you think the problem with AP is, and why do you think it can't be fixed?

Yesterday he didn't want to remove it.. he wanted to be able to buy daily AP's from gemstore... but got shot down in flames.Now wants it removed cos I suspect he feels hard done by that he has to put some time and effort in to try and catch a little.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I'm super bias.I don't like achievements in any game.

One of the things I hated on the 360.

Because it doesnt interest you it should be taken away from those who do enjoy it?

No. But it's a poll and I would answer on how I feel?That's like if someone ask in a poll "Should the Witches in Salem be burned alive?" and I say no and someone asking "What if they really was studying wicca and doing actual witchcraft?" Can't change things that won't be changed.

So I personally say "yes it should be removed as I don't like them", but that means nothing at all.I thought this poll was an opinion thought.

@Orpheal.8263 said:

nobody forces you to do them, so your complete point is moot

Some of them I kinda am for Masteries actually or to get ascended stuff.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Because it doesnt interest you it should be taken away from those who do enjoy it?

No. But it's a poll and I would answer on how I feel?That's like if someone ask in a poll "Should the Witches in Salem be burned alive?" and I say no and someone asking "What if they really was studying wicca and doing actual witchcraft?" Can't change things that won't be changed.

So I personally say "yes it should be removed as I don't like them", but that means nothing at all.I thought this poll was an opinion thought.

It wasnt your opinion that they be removed that I questioned, but rather your, apparent, reasoning for desiring their removal.

There is a marked difference, in my opinion at least, between, "I dont like it so I prefer that no one else have access to it," and, "I think it is bad for X reason so it should be removed."

I responded to your post, as written, because it seemed out of character for your normal posting style and wondered if you, perhaps, did not realize how it came across.

There is a marked

@Ashen.2907 said:

It wasnt your opinion that they be removed that I questioned, but rather your, apparent, reasoning for desiring their removal.

There is a marked difference, in my opinion at least, between, "I dont like it so I prefer that no one else have access to it," and, "I think it is bad for X reason so it should be removed."

I responded to your post, as written, because it seemed out of character for your normal posting style and wondered if you, perhaps, did not realize how it came across.

There is a marked

Personally though my issue isn't the achievements themselves at all, but how they've implemented them.Being a... okay I can't say it on the board but that term that people are called that go after achievements that start with a w. I can see the appeal to them (as I at times see achievements as a form of replayability or a way to see "what am I missing" as a checklist for certain games as some achievements might lead to certain hidden secrets you wouldn't notice without them.

That being said, the way they've done achievements in this game (not counting collections as those I think could work without achievements) feel lacking and unrewarding.Certain ones you think would/could/should give titles (like weapon masters and monster slayers) give nothing then there's others that takes a ton of time and working on and grinding and you get not even a decent amount of achievement points for it, no chest/reward, and no title. Just 1 point to it.

I used to joke about one achievement in one of my favourite games on the 360 which I think everyone else on the planet hate called Bullet Witch where you can get 999/1000 achievements within the game... the last one is beating the game on the most hardest and unforgiving difficulty.I found it funny that the most work I had to do was to fight that one boss at the end in the hardest difficulty that... kills me in one hit with multiple phases...Arenanet though, seems to make that the set up lately of the achievements and it feels off.

The latest current event ones are perfectly fine. Capped at 30, you get 3 for each event you do. That's fine... but ones like the Griffon time trials which in total give I think only 6? 1 for bronze, 2 for silver, 3 for gold. They're not repeatable either.

BUT in the end my only issue with achievements as an idea is that they feel like a lazy way to also add replayability to a game. Don't put much content into a situation and then go "Go after these" which yes IS a form of a goal, but usually an empty one.That's why I have a mixture of a like/loathe to achievements directly so me personally if in a utopian brainwave would say I want them gone, at least for myself/version.For how the game is? Leave them however they want.Some like puzzles, some like achievements, some like masochism in the form of raiding, and then legend collecting, collector (to the point of every gem store item as well) and so on and so on.

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

this is a fallacy just because you put alot of time in it doesnt make it good and it doesnt mean we should keep it.Indeed. On the other hand, just because it is a fallacy doesn't mean the system is so bad it cannot be fixed and needs to be removed.

Hahahaha... is this the same player that posted about spending money to autocomplete dailies for AP?! You're not going to accomplish much by posting a question like this, try discussing how the AP system can be improved instead of going for the dramatic :P

AP is a standalone thing. This is no collection. This is not a "real" activity. This is something that is - sort of - running "in the background", happening for everybody automatically, rewarding fidelity and longevity, as in efforts over time. The reward chests provide bonuses, that are rather small, but infinite, and that for the account, stacking over times. It is really a feature meant to work over long time and I find it very good as is. That's one more thing of the game, with its own concept very different from the rest, and to my eyes, very good.

I believe that several players get frustrated because they take it as an activity like the others. But this is a different concept with a different time scale. And of course, if trying to treat it like an "normal" activity, there is automatically lot of frustration because it cannot work this way.

@Orpheal.8263 said:

Since there's no option to disable them popping up as a message, he has definitely a point.Having them in background without showing ANYTHING won't be a problem at all.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Mea.5491" said:It shouldn't be removed but it should be changed/improved!
  1. AP should be hidden from other players. I have been playing since beta but I only have 13k AP simply because I'm not an achievement hunter in MMOs. I don't want people to judge me by my AP.
  2. Rewards should be reworked and increased. Why can't we unlock the whole Hellfire/Radiant armor sets before 10k? The AP requirements for these items are unrealistic and most people will never fully unlock them.

AP's don't in any way judge you on skill or experience and therefore your argument is mootSome things in MMO's are made to be just a little more challenging or require more effort or need more time and activity to achiev.. that way not everyone in game gets to run around looking the same, it might motivate some to put that little bit more into the game because they want it and in doing so keep the concurrent logins data looking good. As we all know the, the more time we spend in game the more likely we are to spend real money or perhaps reduce our currency that much more in game so we might spend real money somewhere down the line.A business needs hooks and limited or harder to obtain items are just one of those hooks.

But getting an OPTIONAL "hide" button for achievements wouldn't hurt anyone. Same with mastery. Not everyone cares about these things and not everyone wants to showoff their precious numbers. More options are good. (Edited typo).

If you don’t like achievements, don’t do them. Simple as that.I love them, and I like being rewarded for them.If you’re on a diet, fine, but don’t forbid everyone else from eating cookies.Yes, there are many flaws in the system, but removing it is a far more disastrous activity

Archived