Legendary weapons lore

Raven.1524

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Claw of Khan Ur being legendary weapon delivered in the current system is slap in the face to every lore freak. I'm out.

Iirc the legendaries u get from zommoros' are copies of the originals.

The display of multiple legendaries in his lair and also a boss in arah having twilight further supports that theory.

Copies of what exactly. Because only few legendaries have any lore tied to them. Also... every player in GW2 is same person in lore - the Commander.

Copies of the original weapons supposedly.

Charr wouldn't allow anyone to copy their "sacred" weapon.

implying a djiin or w/e would care about that.

Djinni would need to aquire original co make a copy in first place.

All zommoros needed to do is to take a good look at it and then design it as closely as possible.

So when was Zomorros invited by Smodur to take a look at the claw? We never saw it until now.

he could have taken a look at it while the humans were attempting to retrieve it for the piece treaty

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Claw of Khan Ur being legendary weapon delivered in the current system is slap in the face to every lore freak. I'm out.

The display of multiple legendaries in his lair and also a boss in arah having twilight further supports that theory.

Copies of what exactly. Because only few legendaries have any lore tied to them. Also... every player in GW2 is same person in lore - the Commander.

All zommoros needed to do is to take a good look at it and then design it as closely as possible.

So when was Zomorros invited by Smodur to take a look at the claw? We never saw it until now.

he could have taken a look at it while the humans were attempting to retrieve it for the piece treaty

Dougal Keane drew a picture of it which fell out his pocket near Miyani

Nailed it!

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Maybe he looked it up on the wiki?

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Maybe he looked it up on the wiki?

Most likely.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:That's cool. Anet definitely achieved weakening it as a symbol yesterday. If anything like this happened in game, to explain stuff you know, because random wiki speculations are not part of gw2 lore.

I'm pretty sure it has more backing in lore than your personal speculations about what the charr would or would not do with the thing.

If you're upset, fine. Be upset. That doesn't mean ANet screwed up.

So what lore was presented to justify the Claw (or replica) being now in hands of the commander?

What events in game explain that Smodur wants to lower the significance of the Claw and what actions did he took to proceed with his plan?

what lore present to justify it?

very simple: Mystic Forge lore.Commander have replicated precuror weapon and gave it with some other stuff to zommoros and zomoros gave him in return exact replica of the claw.

this is it, no need for more because mystic forge and zommoros ARE present in lore and are source of all legendary weapons

EDIT: and on what base you assume zomorros would need to physically see the weapon himself considerign how he is giving them away for quite a time via some magical portal despite himself being half the continent away?

It all sounds like an easy way to justify anything and any time while disrespecting their own universe in the process. In any other game I would have epic quest leading to the boss from which I would loot this legendary weapon. In GW2 all I need to do is pay.

there is no "discrespect to their own universe in the process" included tho.zommoros is a well established in-lore entity known for ability to create and alter weaponry.

and your "epic" quest in most other games I have seen even remotely works for single players- in all and any MMO's anyway of obtaining "highest grade" gear is actually much more of a farse.

and btw while I'd need to recheck recipies to be sure not all you do if memory serves is to "pay" - last time I checked world exploration and differend game modes were also a big chunk of requirements for a craft - sure you could run the exploration and arm those other modes before the new legendary dropped....

Lore?The game's been ruining lore for a long time now - I'm surprised people are still caught off-guard.Legendary weapons have no lore - they're just things. Things that are given a "lore-related name" in order to squeeze some nostalgia out of some players. When things are made now in GW2 ( as well as many other games) they're made to tick a box and make some money. Nobody actually cares about the "lore" or "story" behind what they're doing. Continuity, sense - these things are irrelevant.

Most items in game now have no lore, history or integrate in any decent way with the main story/setting of the game. Items just pop up. Just look at all the gemstore stuff.

@Umut.5471 said:More than half of the legendaries have no lore. What's the lore of Eternity for example? I've only seen risen high wizard wielding it, there's no other context.

That's precisely the issue. Nobody cares - especially not the developers and certainly not the players. If they did care this kind of thing wouldn't fly. The fact that they're treating MOST in game items like this clearly shows that it's working well and they can easily get away with putting in as little effort as possible.

They simply haven't fleshed out lore for legendaries. We are left with some good but only a few lore-heavy leges (first four 2nd gen leges from HoT). That's it. Also they miss out a lot of flavour like when I go to the Astralarium with my Astralaria. Nothing special happens. That would've been some nice things you could've done.

It certainly isn't anet's strength.

"The" Claw of the Khan-Ur is still in Smodur's office, exactly where it should be. What you/we have is "a" Claw of the Khan-Ur. It's the same for every sword-wielding Final Fantasy character getting an Excalibur or a Masamune, or everyone in Soul Caliber wielding a Soul Edge. These are "based on the true story" versions of legendary weapons: most of its power (maybe with new powers), and none of its significance. (How did The Commander/Zommoros get the Claw of the Khan-Ur? they heard the legends and made the legend manifest. Crafting 101: find something cool and replicate it as your vision.)

That said, we already have the story, in great detail, behind the Claw of the Khan-Ur. The same goes for Eternity, Chupa and Champawat, and HOPE, to some degree. I, and the OP, are more interested in the stories behind, let's say, Twilight, or The Moot, or Incinerator, or Raven Staff, etc., etc.. We know how these weapons were developed, based on the precursor missions, but not what inspired them. What were these weapons? what significance do/did they have? What are the legends behind the Legendary weapons? What sort of hero (or villain) wielded The Dreamer? or Quip? or Kamohoali'i Kotaki? Where did they come from? How were they lost, if at all? Where are the originals now? Etc., etc.

Let's write lore ourselves.

Remember that we do not really craft Legendary weapons. They are given to the commander by Zommoros after he is bribed with stuff.

Being a djinn, he is not bound to the physical plane.

That means that his stuff isn't just what we find in his vault. He could be taking it from other worlds. Djinn do not need to breathe. Dragons destroy some version of Tyria, he sneaks there, takes the stuff from the debris of the planet, and boom. You've got two claws of the Khan-Ur.

based on the text of the collections of the precursors, when crafting, we are actually creating a kind of replica when making legendaries. collecting a list of special materials to forge a weapon. So it's not a unique/original weapon given to us or obtained by us, it's a weapon that we made from scratch.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Precursor_weapon

In the real world, special weapon replicas is commonplace. and they are treated as the originals since the same materials and process are used in forging, the Sword of Stalingrad is one of theses. The "original" was the one given to Stalin itself, the same craftsman, made 3 replicas thats where exibited in museuns.

Wilkinson Sword made three other swords at or shortly thereafter and their current disposition is as follows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Stalingrad

I just want to note that the whole "legendary weapons are just replicas" is never actually stated in lore - but at the same time, the Commander wielding all these things is never brought up in lore either, it's merely glossed over. That said, we do see at least one version of the Gen1 legendaries in Zomorros' lair in Vabbi, and the replica argument was used before. It would also make the most sense.

I don't think that the charr would really care if the symbol that reflected the united race of the charr got replicas. In the same way people do not get upset over replicas of Jesus' cross.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Game mechanics are part of the lore, they are made to present the lore, execute the lore or even create the lore.

Gonna disagree there.

While there is a degree in which ArenaNet ensures that mechanics match and fit within lore, there is of course an unstated lien where mechanics and lore are two very, very distinct features.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:So when was Zomorros invited by Smodur to take a look at the claw? We never saw it until now.We didn't, but it's not like it hasn't existed for ages. In lore, it's been in the Black Citadel to 7 years now.

And Zomorros doesn't need to see the actual thing - a proper enough description would be sufficient.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I just want to note that the whole "legendary weapons are just replicas" is never actually stated in lore - but at the same time, the Commander wielding all these things is never brought up in lore either, it's merely glossed over. That said, we do see at least one version of the Gen1 legendaries in Zomorros' lair in Vabbi, and the replica argument was used before. It would also make the most sense.

I don't think that the charr would really care if the symbol that reflected the united race of the charr got replicas. In the same way people do not get upset over replicas of Jesus' cross.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Game mechanics are part of the lore, they are made to present the lore, execute the lore or even create the lore.

Gonna disagree there.

While there is a degree in which ArenaNet ensures that mechanics match and fit within lore, there is of course an unstated lien where mechanics and lore are two very, very distinct features.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:So when was Zomorros invited by Smodur to take a look at the claw? We never saw it until now.We didn't, but it's not like it hasn't existed for ages. In lore, it's been in the Black Citadel to 7 years now.

And Zomorros doesn't need to see the actual thing - a proper enough description would be sufficient.

Hey, no problem boys. Scepter of Orr as BLC skin will be another nail to GW2's lore grave :)

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Hey, no problem boys. Scepter of Orr as BLC skin will be another nail to GW2's lore grave :)

Let's go on the assumption they do that. They do have a tendency to give all skins possible to players, after all. Why would it be the actual Scepter of Orr?

And why is this not an issue to you?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Replica_Mirror_of_Lyssa

You're complaining about copies of something, rather than the actual something. It's not like there's a thousand Claws of the Khan-Ur going around, or thousands of Caladbolg. In lore, there is one of each - Smodur has the former, the Commander has the latter. All the rest is just replicas or literally non-existent in lore. Because mechanics != lore.

If your argument is that it devalues the feeling of lore-based weapons of legend, then I would fully agree. It rather does, when we get Caladbolg, The Shining Blade, and Claw of the Khan-Ur. But it's not lore breaking at all to argue there is 1 true weapon, and a few mockeries.

Go into the world of art, and you will find that there are forgeries left and right. And some of them are pretty authentic looking. This not only goes to paintings, but can even go towards forged arms and armor. This would be no different a situation.

If we have these things happening illegally on Earth, why couldn't they happen (be it legally or illegally) on Tyria?

It would, in fact, be more unrealistic to say it doesn't happen than to say it does!

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Hey, no problem boys. Scepter of Orr as BLC skin will be another nail to GW2's lore grave :)

Let's go on the assumption they do that. They do have a tendency to give all skins possible to players, after all. Why would it be the actual Scepter of Orr?

You're complaining about copies of something, rather than the actual something. It's not like there's a thousand Claws of the Khan-Ur going around, or thousands of Caladbolg. In lore, there is one of each - Smodur has the former, the Commander has the latter. All the rest is just replicas or literally non-existent in lore. Because mechanics != lore.

If your argument is that it devalues the feeling of lore-based weapons of legend, then I would fully agree. It rather does, when we get Caladbolg, The Shining Blade, and Claw of the Khan-Ur. But it's not lore breaking at all to argue there is 1 true weapon, and a few mockeries.

Go into the world of art, and you will find that there are forgeries left and right. And some of them are pretty authentic looking. This not only goes to paintings, but can even go towards forged arms and armor. This would be no different a situation.

If we have these things happening illegally on Earth, why couldn't they happen (be it legally or illegally) on Tyria?

It would, in fact, be more unrealistic to say it doesn't happen than to say it does!

you see, for mirror of Lyssa we know it's replica, it's also just a skin

for the Claw, it's legendary weapon and it's named Clar of the Khan Ur, we're not talking about replicas here

Shining Blade is different, first of all, this weapon has been created and established within single LW episode that didn't even were supposed to exist, until they delayed PoF release (devs admitted it during one of AMAs). Also, we know how Commader got the blade - we were fighting Lazarus and picked up the Blade, we were betrusted by Shining Blade etc. We know HOW it happened, so the fact we made it as legendary is okay, even though legendary creation is lame in this game. Also, the Blade is hardly as important as the Claw. The Blade was just a tool.

For Caladbolg, it's not legendary, but at least we completed a quest to recover it and Commander got the weapon and the title officialy within lore.

For the Claw we have nothing like this. Just go and craft your legendary weapon. I don't complain we are allowed to aquire it. I complain the aquisition method is disrespectful. This is not just another legendary weapon (in terms of mechanics), this is legendary weapon within lore, it deserves some dignity, context and at least something pretending to be a quest to get it.

This game is MMO RPG. In some cases, they really care about how they present and explain things in game, in other, especially artifacts, they act like they don't care. In every other game I would need to go for a quest and defeat worthy opponent to get such artifact. In GW2 Commander hits his head into crafting station, flushes some stuff in Mystic Forge and boom - one of most important artifacts becomes a skin.

They could do literally any other, lore light skin. Most legendaries have irrelevant backstory, if any. But the Claw... it feels like they deliberately made it a skin now, with 0 context, because they have no idea and/or desire to go anywhere with Khan Ur legacy lore in the game.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

for the Claw, it's legendary weapon and it's named Clar of the Khan Ur, we're not talking about replicas here

Shining Blade is different, first of all, this weapon has been created and established within single LW episode that didn't even were supposed to exist, until they delayed PoF release (devs admitted it during one of AMAs). Also, we know how Commader got the blade - we were fighting Lazarus and picked up the Blade, we were betrusted by Shining Blade etc.

except we do not pick it up at the episode but repeat same process of precursor crafting as with any other "legendary" item. also THE shining blade is still powerfull asset of shining blades and considering livia's behaviour throughout the episode I heavily doubt in her just allowing us to randomly "pick up and take" such a powerfull asset.

and caladbolg is whole different story.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Shining Blade is different, first of all, this weapon has been created and established within single LW episode that didn't even were supposed to exist, until they delayed PoF release (devs admitted it during one of AMAs). Also, we know how Commader got the blade - we were fighting Lazarus and picked up the Blade, we were betrusted by Shining Blade etc.

except we do not pick it up at the episode but repeat same process of precursor crafting as with any other "legendary" item. also THE shining blade is still powerfull asset of shining blades and considering livia's behaviour throughout the episode I heavily doubt in her just allowing us to randomly "pick up and take" such a powerfull asset.

Shining Blade as a concept is laready stupid. They say it was made by Seer to kill mursaat. Well. wow. In GW1 we literally anihilated whole race without such tool. And now for single, weakened Lazarus they artificially created the need for new shiny. This whole episode and story around the Blade is stupid, but this episode was never meant to happen. That's why I don't really care about it being low effort.

Caladbolg is not different story. Why Caladbolg is getting a quest, while the Claw not? I'd argue that Claw is much more important. Saladbolg is just another tool, like Shining Blade. Meanwhile the Claw has symbolic value and is part of charr culture and chain of command.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Shining Blade as a concept is laready stupid. They say it was made by Seer to kill mursaat. Well. wow. In GW1 we literally anihilated whole race without such tool. And now for single, weakened Lazarus they artificially created the need for new shiny. This whole episode and story around the Blade is stupid, but this episode was never meant to happen. That's why I don't really care about it being low effort.

Caladbolg is not different story. Why Caladbolg is getting a quest, while the Claw not? I'd argue that Claw is much more important. Saladbolg is just another tool, like Shining Blade. Meanwhile the Claw has symbolic value and is part of charr culture and chain of command.

it is not as "stupid" as a concept because what actually anihilated entire race were titans we have unleashed - ya just needed to pay attention when playing original GW1 to know this one. sure average mursaat mob were not difficult enemies once you have have got infused armor but A: since a huge wipeout by titans you'd guess only strongest survived B: mursaats we see already in GW1 Beyond are much stronger than aforementioned "average mursaat mobs" at ring of fire islands. C: you do not have infused armors in the story.

Caladbolg is a whole different story period. firstly it is not a "legendary" item (too easy to obtain for that tbh) and is basically a somewhat special sword only on the merit of how it was created. and the "quest" for caladbolg is to regrow (because it does not validate for being "reforged") the shattered blde you recover at the end of HoT. Also you could argue that caladbolg has symbolic meaning for sylvari but that's irrelevant here.

The Shining Blade also is not "merely" a tool. sure probably it was created originally as such but let us not forget that a group of very high importance to the human culture and structure of command is named after that artifact.

And then again the part you ignore pretty stubbornly here is that THE claw of khan-ur is sitting in the black citadel right next to the owner of it. What players are to wield is embodiment of the claws legend created by ancient djin, from stuff commander have gathered in the very long and tedious process. The same goes for any other legendary weapon with only differences being of some having more obvious in-lore asociated legends [claw, shining blade, flameseeker prophecy, rodgort's flame] and some being based of irl legends with no known to us in-game lore variants [bifrost, that tiger bow forgot the name of] and some have none-known and are just silly things I have no idea whom have thought would be good idea for them to be legendaries in the first place [moot, quip, incinerator]

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:it is not as "stupid" as a concept because what actually anihilated entire race were titans we have unleashed - ya just needed to pay attention when playing original GW1 to know this one.

During War in Kryta finale we have no problem in killing hundreds of mursaat without Shining Blade (weapon).

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:Caladbolg is a whole different story period. firstly it is not a "legendary" item

It is legendary artifact in lore, mechanics aside. Caladbolg is also powerful as it allows Trahearne to fight Zhaitan corruption and start the process of reviving whole Orr. It is powerful, it is significant and in all terms it is one of not so many true artifacts in GW universe. Such treatment should have been given to the Claw aswell.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:And then again the part you ignore pretty stubbornly here is (...)

The Claw is still very important to the charr and they wouldn't allow anyone to simply mock their whole culture and greatest hero in their history to make toys of the Claw. This artifact may not be powerful but sets rules for charr chain of command. If they were allowed to create replicas that would kill the concept of Khan Ur as at some point some charr would claim the title wielding the replica. Symbolic value of this weapon within lore is to big to simple give it away. Unless we were introduced to the story how Smodur achieves his goal of breaking up with old traditions. But this never happened.

They could have introduced any concept, any stupid flashy design but they decided to use the Claw. This is disrespectful for their own lore but it's also probably indication they don't care about this arc anymore and we'll never see Khan Ur legacy going anywhere in this game.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:it is not as "stupid" as a concept because what actually anihilated entire race were titans we have unleashed - ya just needed to pay attention when playing original GW1 to know this one.

During War in Kryta finale we have no problem in killing hundreds of mursaat without Shining Blade (weapon).
[1]

@"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:Caladbolg is a whole different story period. firstly it is not a "legendary" item

It is legendary artifact in lore, mechanics aside. Caladbolg is also powerful as it allows Trahearne to fight Zhaitan corruption and start the process of reviving whole Orr. It is powerful, it is significant and in all terms it is one of not so many true artifacts in GW universe. Such treatment should have been given to the Claw aswell.
[2]

@"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:And then again the part you ignore pretty stubbornly here is (...)

The Claw is still very important to the charr and they wouldn't allow anyone to simply mock their whole culture and greatest hero in their history to make toys of the Claw.
[3]
This artifact may not be powerful but sets rules for charr chain of command.
[4]
If they were allowed to create replicas that would kill the concept of Khan Ur as at some point some charr would claim the title wielding the replica
[5]
Symbolic value of this weapon within lore is to big to simple give it away. Unless we were introduced to the story how Smodur achieves his goal of breaking up with old traditions. But this never happened.
[6]

They could have introduced any concept, any stupid flashy design but they decided to use the Claw. This is disrespectful for their own lore but it's also probably indication they don't care about this arc anymore and we'll never see Khan Ur legacy going anywhere in this game.
[7]

[1] and here goes paying attention to whats going on during gameplay.

no, during war in kryta we kill exacly 3 mursaats. and those we kill are considered a boss encounters - and note to share for alot of players pretty challenging ones [at least one requiring to deploy cheesing strategy to even be doable without full 8man party]

[2] while it is something considered "somewhat" legendary among certain groups caladbolg is too "young" of an artifact to have actuall legend grown around it. please bear in mind that all of ites with actuall lore behind them are referencing things predating GW:P

[3] but they did it already themselves. centurions claw is there. altho semantics aside no one is making "toy" out of the claw both legendary item from zomorros and centurions claw are meant to be weapons used in combat.

[4] except charrs had no issues with chain of command for over 200 years without it. and even the previous wielder was not exacly successfull at unifying all charrs under his command and alot of charrs were defying his claim to rule.

[5] considering resistance flame legion had even while owning original....

[6] and while sentiment may be towards that specific artifact let us not forgive here that charrs are primarily a very pragmatic race.

[7] they could have do any flashy random thing, but decided to instead do actuall in-game legend - which is much more respectfull towards what legendary weapons were meant to be in the first place.

Archived