PoF has made Gw2 Cash Shop centered

Vivi.2805

Stop whining, you are wrong in all of your statements

1. They just released skins for free (achievements and stuff like that)
  2. As far as i know, mount RNG didn't give any advantage over those who doesnt have any skin
  3. The game needs to make Money
  4. We have nothing to worry about the store, neither you do.

GW2 is the most fair MMO in the Market. Maybe you are too full of yourself to realize that the game needs Money to sustain itself and keep releasing good content (like the new LW). Do the math, Gem store NEEDS to be shinny and sparkling to atract People on spending gems in there, otherwise do you think they'll pay all their expenses and salaries for 2 years just because you spent a couple bucks to buy POF? Wake up the reality, my friend

I'll say it again, as long as they dont make anything that deprives those who doesnt "pay", like Skins with atributes, legendar weapons, etc on the gemstore then can stuff out all cosmetics and convenience items they want.Sorry for my bad english, and not only that, but also my keyboard keeps correcting it because it thinks im writing in portuguese ¬¬

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Vivi.2805 said:It really does feel like the gw2 spirit from classic and even HoT is gone. This cash shop is looking exactly like any cash shop from the sadsack f2p mmos out there.

What f2p MMORPGs are you referring to? Do you mean the ones where most of the mounts and various cosmetics are in loot boxes that contain junk? Or the games where cosmetics have stats attached to them with nearly no way to get them without spending cash? How about pets sometimes being game breaking as opposed to GW2's purely cosmetic minis? or the perks to evade gold sinks entirely? I could go on.

There's also the fact gold can be converted to gems in addition to all the other skins added out of the cash shop.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:Imagine being a Developer when your game’s community posts useless threads like this constantly.

Dude you're not even joking... There's threads with a dozen pages that i truly wonder why the hell are they even still up, since their premiss is utterly ridiculous.> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:They are objectively better because they got higher quality textures, more polygons, more dye slots, more effects etc and less clipping.

And earning gold to convert to gem is not the same feeling as getting that skin via a long collection, a recipe or a rare drop from some boss

I agree with you on this. Gem store skins are objectively better. They have more effort put into them. kitten, look at Arcane rifle. Add aura, footspets and unique projectiles and it's a legendary. Much better than titanic one.

So true... Honestly that was a missed opportunity. > @Dawdler.8521 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

Not really true. If you're online you'll get the episodes unlocked regardless of owning PoF or not. BUT you do need to own it to play them. Because the story is dependant on PoF story, AND everything is designed with the presumption that you own PoF, so it has mount-exclusive content and achievements.

The same thing for Season 3, it requires Masteries (which require either expansion) and many times it's designed around the presumption that you have gliding, and you won't complete it without one.

@"Vivi.2805" said:I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems. Really feels like they got lazy and greedy with this xpac and the slippery slope is right here. The whole mount skin rng that happened didn't help and the fact they said they were gonna dial it back only to release more every week makes it worse.

It really does feel like the gw2 spirit from classic and even HoT is gone. This cash shop is looking exactly like any cash shop from the sadsack f2p mmos out there. They release skins but never bother to gate ghem behind achievements or actual gameplay, instead they ask "how much did you spend making this new armor/weapon/mount? Oh more than 10mins? Better put it in the cash shop then"

Feels like the sims online with a f2p on top. The stuff available from a tually playing the game is almost 90% from vanilla. I dislike this recent approach and am worried about the future of this mmo and so should you...

I'm sorry that you feel this way, but as far as I've known since perhaps the game has dawned o% of the stuff in the gemstore is mandatory for the game's enjoyment. All I see is cosmetics that are exclusive to the store and some items you can acquire through time invested in the game. And as far as your accusations of 'cash grab' goes, either you are going on unfounded rumors, or you are on a tangent that completely misses the target board.

You do not need to spend money to get the most out of Guild Wars 2, compared to the several MMOs you tried to compare it with. Sure, expansions are $$$ but expansions are not gem store items.

You're not obligated nor required to play the game, either. If you don't like it, you can always look elsewhere.

Sorry, but even a skritt can understand that what you're saying is off the point.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Vivi.2805" said:I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems. Really feels like they got lazy and greedy with this xpac and the slippery slope is right here. The whole mount skin rng that happened didn't help and the fact they said they were gonna dial it back only to release more every week makes it worse.

It really does feel like the gw2 spirit from classic and even HoT is gone. This cash shop is looking exactly like any cash shop from the sadsack f2p mmos out there. They release skins but never bother to gate ghem behind achievements or actual gameplay, instead they ask "how much did you spend making this new armor/weapon/mount? Oh more than 10mins? Better put it in the cash shop then"

Feels like the sims online with a f2p on top. The stuff available from a tually playing the game is almost 90% from vanilla. I dislike this recent approach and am worried about the future of this mmo and so should you...

I love how you accuse the developers of being lazy when you couldn't be bothered to research just how many in game obtainable skins have been added over the past six months before posting.

Stay classy.

eek.. REKT, comes to mind :)

Problem I am getting is deciding just what skins to use these days, there are so many to choose from.. add the outfits into my equation and it only gets to be a bigger problem.

I only peruse the store if I can afford using spare change. Otherwise, I'll work on gold and make conversions when the price is right. I do have other things that require money, y'know.. like paying the rent, and powering the place, and other quality of life things. And I do take breaks when I feel I've had a bit too much. Sure, I can't afford most of the stuff most of the time...

..but do you see me complaining that somehow this is all a glorious cash grab? I don't think it is. But the MMO does need the funds to keep the servers up and operable, after all, and to keep the devs fed, housed and working on .. you know, quality content. ;)

It's cash shop centered? Awesome .. that means Anet will have funds to continue developing the game we all love.

@Vivi.2805 said:I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

And yet.. they just put out a whole set of Legendary Armor with it's own animated features.. that is obtained from playing the game.

@Vivi.2805 said:I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

Aside from the new episode of content that released two days ago or the ENTIRE TWO FULL WEAPON SKIN SETS that released with the last episode, neither of which were cash shop based? Aside from those? Or maybe the 4 armor skin sets or multiple full weapon skin sets that released with PoF? Maybe the new FREE 32 slot bag that is strictly achievement based? The new inquest golem back item perhaps? Actually since PoF release we've gotten far more weapon skins released as obtainable in game than through claim tickets. Nope, 100% of things are all released in the gem shop.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

And it got out of hand. A game where fashion is the endgame progression it feels wrong to lock almost all the good stuff behind gemstore. Even legendary armor looks like a joke compared to gemstore

Which armor, any sets released in the gem-store any time recently, looks better than legendary armor to you?

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.
  • Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.
  • The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

You still have the possibility of buying them via gold , exchanged to gems. Like, you're doing your daily/weekly content, earn 100 gold, spend them on the TP to get the skin. It would be quite the same if they introduced a merchant selling these skins actually. The black lion company is well made in my opinion.

That being said, i agree one of the new skins at least should be obtainable from time to time through a quest. Everything is directly on the trade post and i feel the point of the OP.

I think the cash shop has been the same. These items have always been there. The only thing that’s new are the waypoints added and the mount skins. I was a little furious about waypoints however arenanet listened to all the people who complained about multiple characters not having all waypoints like their mains. Soooo guess what? Waypoints for gems.

Mount skins are no different from glider skin besides pricing. Before mounts, everyone was always talking about the backpack wings, or glider skins.

By saying pof made it blt as the center piece, it’s never been the center. You probably just got flustered with jealousy of the skins being 20 dollars a piece. Everything in the bltc can be bought with gold. You just exchange to gems.

Let’s explain this so people can use their dailies more wisely. You get 60 gold a month by completing dailies. Probably 20 extra gold for the coins you get that you can sell for dailies. And an extra 50 gold for laurels. That 130 a month. So if everyone was patient, that is a glider skin you can get every month and left over gold. If everyone properly did that, everyone would be happy, but not everyone knows that they have the chance to do it. Also since 1 month you can get a skin, if you saved it instead of buying a glider skin, for free in 3-4 months, that is a mount skin. All for (free).

Bltc is fair. And will be the same. It never changed. You have the choice to use money. Or play the game and earn it. More people pay real money then waiting. 3-4 months is about missing one skin and getting the next new skin. And it’s fine. It’s nothing people should trip about.

4uVQ8Ow.jpg

I don't know, the mounts for example come with a totally theme-fitting skin. It's not that a window pops up and says: "Okay, you have a mount, now buy a skin in the cash shop to finalize customization". You literally need anything from the cash shop. There are many great ingame alternatives. I love my Noble Count Outfit but the Noble set is also working fine. My regular set is just the sneakthief one. The gliders are mostly just strange and you don't glide all the time, I have yet to find a skin on the gemstore for my glider that does not look at least weird.

The mounts are all beautifully designed by default. Except for two things (the outfit and the aviator shades) I would be fine without any cash shop purchases so far. Also, it is, in my opinion, totally irrelevant to me if anyone wears cash shop or rides a mount or is faster at salvaging. Unlike in other games, like one from Squeenix, glamour is not as important in GW2. You don't need to keep up with every new item added, or skins, or whatnot. I know, envy can arise when it's actually in the game, but in the end, aNet offers enough nice things for free. But the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, aight? The cash shop and the non-cash shop fence in that matter..

Excelsior.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.
  • Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.
  • The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

S/He made three statements:

"The only content that costs gems are the expansions." (incorrect -- XPac's cannot be bought via gems, only the deluxe upgrade can)" Side stories are free to all." (correct)"The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears." (partially true)

My comment was only addressing the Living World chapters.

Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

I agree that that way would be cleaner.

@"Zedek.8932" said:4uVQ8Ow.jpg

I don't know, the mounts for example come with a totally theme-fitting skin. It's not that a window pops up and says: "Okay, you have a mount, now buy a skin in the cash shop to finalize customization". You literally need anything from the cash shop. There are many great ingame alternatives. I love my Noble Count Outfit but the Noble set is also working fine. My regular set is just the sneakthief one. The gliders are mostly just strange and you don't glide all the time, I have yet to find a skin on the gemstore for my glider that does not look at least weird.

The mounts are all beautifully designed by default. Except for two things (the outfit and the aviator shades) I would be fine without any cash shop purchases so far. Also, it is, in my opinion, totally irrelevant to me if anyone wears cash shop or rides a mount or is faster at salvaging. Unlike in other games, like one from Squeenix, glamour is not as important in GW2. You don't need to keep up with every new item added, or skins, or whatnot. I know, envy can arise when it's actually in the game, but in the end, aNet offers enough nice things for free. But the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, aight? The cash shop and the non-cash shop fence in that matter..

Excelsior.

The standard mount skins are limited to 1 dye slot for no good reason. While even the 400 gem reskins have 4 slots

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Zedek.8932" said:
4uVQ8Ow.jpg

Excelsior.

The standard mount skins are limited to 1 dye slot for no good reason. While even the 400 gem reskins have 4 slots

Dye channel do not make a character run faster, hit harder, more tanky etc.

Yes, by default the free mounts are limited on cosmetic side, there is no argue about it. But is the limited dye panel also reduced your play-ability compare to the ones that bought mount skin? Definitely not, right?

I personally think the default mount are beautiful, besides limited customization, they are as good looking as some of the paid ones, and i am perfectly fine to pay Anet to support their good works and long term development.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Zedek.8932" said:
4uVQ8Ow.jpg

Excelsior.

The limitation exists for a very good reason IMO. You reference it in your post.

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@"Zedek.8932" said:
4uVQ8Ow.jpg

Excelsior.

Dye channel do not make a character run faster, hit harder, more tanky etc.

Yes, by default the free mounts are limited on cosmetic side, there is no argue about it. But is the limited dye panel also reduced your play-ability compare to the ones that bought mount skin? Definitely not, right?

I personally think the default mount are beautiful, besides limited customization, they are as good looking as some of the paid ones, and i am perfectly fine to pay Anet to support their good works and long term development.

but it clearly shows that gemshop stuff is objectively and in quantificable ways better than ingame rewards. Whats the point to play most content more than once if gemshop stuff is superior and not an alternative/sidegrade

it does not matter if it makes you better in combat or not, since the endgame of this game was supposed to be fashion and not an item spiral. but all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

Archived