GW2 Story - When will the bad guys win?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"phokus.8934" said:I just want to see the "bad guys" win for once and not have to be the hero with the biggest luck in the history of ever.

Paul Joko seems like a good guy who just got a bad rap. Can we see him win and us heroes lose a battle for once?

You want to see the bad guys win? That's super easy! All you have to do is close GW2 and turn on the TV, or just go outside your home. The real world is full of bad guys winning all the time, so that should make you happy. ;)

I, on the other end, like to see the good guys win. At least that way i can pretend that justice can prevail, even if only in fiction.

I would prefer more gray in GW2, but that's just not how this game rolls. If you don't like to be a hero or if you want to be dat edgy evil villain, all black and fiery, I think there are games out there that suit you by leting you play that choice.

Have a nice day

@DeanBB.4268 said:But if the bad guys win, won't your story end? It's only in the movies where the bad guys start blabbering, loosely tie up the heroes, then give them plenty of time to escape. In the real world, they just shoot them in the head and it's over.

No not necessarily. This is fiction and the story can be molded in a way where the heroes are defeated but come back or something... it gets kind of boring that 1-5 heroes can kill Gods and dragons. I mean, I suspend reality but good lawdy, give us bad guys something.

I would enjoy if the bad guys win finally! What would change? If as exemple son of svanir kill mass people and occupe the majority of map.. you can still decide to be on their side or not. But dragons will kill everyone else faster obviously. Some bad organizations outnumber us in gw2 I think, Inquest members number would be largely over the sum of the three colleges. I'm convinced by the recruiter in Rata Sum. But the real debate is, bad guys can lose, but why can't we join them?

I have enough of being the annoying invincible pact commander...

To return on the subject, it would be cool to have a map with a tyran that can't be defeated, where we can only increase partially the quality of life of citizens.

The thing is, enough of focusing on heroes, villains have their good stories too, their downfall, how they became evil....

@DeanBB.4268 said:But if the bad guys win, won't your story end? It's only in the movies where the bad guys start blabbering, loosely tie up the heroes, then give them plenty of time to escape. In the real world, they just shoot them in the head and it's over.

That is unlikey; if one side wins in long term, they usually also gain the position to decide who was villain or hero. Therefore the guy with the perforated cranium was the bad guy from start. ^.^

“History is written by the victors” is an over-simplification with many counter-examples, but IMO that aphorism is so common for good reasons.

@phokus.8934 said:

No not necessarily. This is fiction and the story can be molded in a way where the heroes are defeated but come back or something... it gets kind of boring that 1-5 heroes can kill Gods and dragons. I mean, I suspend reality but good lawdy, give us bad guys something.

The heroes are defeated, only to come back (or not) and win some times.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I thought we were the bad guys already. I mean, we slaughter millions (mobs), destroy the natural balance of the world (killed Zhaitan and Mordremoth), get people's loved ones killed (Tonn), etc.

We solve EVERYTHING by hammering and burning it to death. We are stupid bad. That's why I consider my main to be a pyromaniac psycho. It makes much more sense.

I think it comes down to what you mean by "bad guys winning". For obvious reasons, there will never be a storyline where it isn't feasible for the game to go on anymore, unless they're shutting the servers down and going out with a bang.

But short of that, bad guys do win:

• The players aren't able to stop Balthazar from killing the major character that he sought to kill in The Departing. But, of course, he loses in the long run.
  • The players kill Scarlett, but they don't actually stop her from carrying out her goal of destroying Lion's Arch or awakening Mordremoth. That's a win for her, since, as a dragon minion, survival was a secondary objective.
  • Palawa Joko conquers Elona and defeats the Sunspears. It's possible that he killed the Guild Wars player character. However, it happened after the end of the playable events.

I'm hoping to see a major character die at the end of the season, in the fight against Joko if possible. But he's just a secondary villain among others in my opinion, like Caudecus or Lazarus. So he will lose in the end. At least that's my vision of this character.

The end of PoF is not really a happy ending. It would be cool to see something going really wrong anyway.

@"phokus.8934" said:I just want to see the "bad guys" win for once and not have to be the hero with the biggest luck in the history of ever.

Paul Joko seems like a good guy who just got a bad rap. Can we see him win and us heroes lose a battle for once?

When Eir died...

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I thought we were the bad guys already. I mean, we slaughter millions (mobs), destroy the natural balance of the world (killed Zhaitan and Mordremoth), get people's loved ones killed (Tonn), etc.

This is pretty much how I interpret the Commander as they are now and how I'm going to play out my Pact Commander: everything she does boils down to a Pyrrhic victory and eventually she's going to have to face the fact that maybe she and her rag-tag guild (especially Rytlock) have been the villains all along through their actions. In fact, it's going to take another guild or group of adventurers to stop them from making things worse.

The bad guys always win; ANet just has you brainwashed to think they're losing.

Go do one of the story's final bosses like Balthazar:Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez -Die - Rez - Die - Rez -Die - Rez - Die - Rez - repeat ad infinitum for three hours+.

Your armor is destroyed, unless you were foolish enough to buy 1000 repair kits in the gem store (probably not enough, but it's just a scam anyway) and even with the "special sword" [no spoilers here] you will barely be able to whittle the god down over hours and hours of extraordinarily repetitive fighting.

Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez - Die - Rez -Die - Rez - Die - Rez -Die - Rez - Die - Rez - repeat ad infinitum for three hours+.

Almost every time you try to use your elite skill or the special sword's key skills, Balthazar knocks you down, stuns you, roots you, or insta-kills you. Right... yeah... that's a challenge. NOT.

BORING to the max...

So, who won? A virtual enemy was finally extinguished, but I got bored to death and the rewards were crap; plus I lost three hours out of my life.

There is no doubt; the bad guy won...

The bad guys have had plenty of victories(Destruction of Lion's Arch, the near annihilation of the pact fleet, etc....). Of course the bad guys have to have some victories so they will be seen as legitimate threats in the story. I am not for the bad guys winning the whole thing though. I am also not for a story where the players get to be the bad guys. I always root for good over evil.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

You want to see the bad guys win? That's super easy! All you have to do is close GW2 and turn on the TV, or just go outside your home. The real world is full of bad guys winning all the time, so that should make you happy. ;)

I, on the other end, like to see the good guys win. At least that way i can pretend that justice
can
prevail, even if only in fiction.

If someone is good or bad is in the eye of the beholder. I for one think Scarlet and Balthasar did nothing wrong and Kormis is the incarnation of evil by wasting her divine powers by not doing anything useful with it. Also Dhuum is a good guy for combatting necromancy

Archived