Rollerbeetle outside of Kourna?

So I was wondering, has there been any confirmation that the rollerbeetle will be available for use outside of Kourna?

Although it would be disappointing, I can see why they might restrict it. It looks like it will outspeed the mounts in the base game (a problem for races, trains, etc.) and multiplies all future work with mount skin packs. It would also not be the first time a new feature was map-isolated (bloodstone gliding ls3ep1) and it would open up the possibility of getting map-specific mounts every episode.

If no one knows yet, I would love to hear from you Anet!

Official confirmation needed of course, but historically, all mounts have been useable everywhere. They introduced it as a new mount, not as some Kourna only feature. I think the speeds your seeing are not any faster than any other mount, and probably just made for the trailer. It would be more work for them to introduce a mount with totally different speeds and mechanics than it would to add a mount that fits into the current mount system.

Also, making a mount for a single area is a death sentence for any future mount skins they would want to sell. Who wants to skin a mount no one can see?

@"Paolino.8320" said:...It looks like it will outspeed the mounts in the base game (a problem for races, trains, etc.)

It might not be so much a problem. Yes, it looks super fast, but will therefore probably be very difficult for most players to maneuver around obstacles and tight turns, even if tight turns are technically possible. "Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow." I notice the video tends to show it zipping along in a straight line. A super-fast but less maneuverable mount would make crossing vast, flat areas quick and painless, while not making the more flexible raptor obsolete.

I'm hoping it's the lead in to mounts in wvw. I can think of only a couple of objectives that have "ramp like" structures/gullies on the outside which could probably be jumped (depending on how far it flies through the air) with this mount allowing access to the inside. But for the potential payoff of new abilities and possible increased movement across what many describe as sluggish land, I think any problem areas could be quickly addressed and overall players would enjoy it.

@Teletric.3821 said:I suspect it will go faster down-hill and slower up-hill and that's going to be its unique mechanic. Perhaps it can also use terrain like a ramp?

Maybe you can speed up and get an extra boost, if you jump/roll over ramps/cliffs/whatever.That wouldn't bind the skill on dedicated objects/ramps but you can use it everywhere you can fall down from.I think that would be nice.

@Tasida.4085 said:Guess which new mount I'll never be using. I guess someone has to like it so I'll leave it to them that do. I didn't like the mini or the races I sure don't like the mount LOL. Just.....YUCK #mammalsFTW

Mammals, huh?

I guess you don't like the Raptor (Lizard? Reptile?), Skimmer (???), Griffon (they lay eggs) or Jackal (magic sand) either. :wink:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Tasida.4085 said:Guess which new mount I'll never be using. I guess someone has to like it so I'll leave it to them that do. I didn't like the mini or the races I sure don't like the mount LOL. Just.....YUCK #mammalsFTW

Mammals, huh?

I guess you don't like the Raptor (Lizard? Reptile?), Skimmer (???), Griffon (they lay eggs) or Jackal (magic sand) either. :wink:

You'll be one of those that likes the bug. Right on, to each their own. You enjoy the insect and I'll piddle around on the other mounts and the gaming world is a happy place :) And PS....mammals are warm blooded vertebrates so jackals and griffons (shame they never existed) do fall into that class...ijs. The only bug I rock is a VW lol

@Tasida.4085 said:

Mammals, huh?

You'll be one of those that likes the bug. Right on, to each their own. You enjoy the insect and I'll piddle around on the other mounts and the gaming world is a happy place :) And PS....mammals are warm blooded vertebrates so jackals and griffons (shame they never existed) do fall into that class...ijs. The only bug I rock is a VW lol

That's not what makes a mammal a mammal...Even then, The jackals are made of sand, they aren't warm blooded. And the griffons lay eggs and are unlikely to be monotremes, so I am going to go ahead and say they are not mammals. Unless you really think that something with a beak can successfully nurse from a mother?

@Tasida.4085 said:

Mammals, huh?

Well the Griffon is half bird half lion so it's technically only half mammal, luckily the bit you sit on is mammal so you're OK there. :lol:

@Taurid.1753 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:Wasting tons of dev work on a mount designed for a single map? Really unlikely.

While the scale is much smaller than a mount, that didn't stop them from locking LW3 masteries to the maps they are used on and no where else.

I think they learned their lesson that it was a bad idea. We saw something pretty much zone locked in chapter 1 (gather volatile magic) but hopefully never again will we see a mastery (or what should be a mastery, paging bloodstone fen flight stuff) map locked. It is too much work to develop it and then annoy the players.

@Arioch.6507 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:Wasting tons of dev work on a mount designed for a single map? Really unlikely.

While the scale is much smaller than a mount, that didn't stop them from locking LW3 masteries to the maps they are used on and no where else.

except for that gliding everywhere else.

Gliding is a HoT mastery, not LS3.LS3 masteries were

• Counter Magic special action: small use outside LS3 maps.
  • Thermal Tubes: Only LS3
  • Koda's Flame: Only that map.
  • Spectral Agony: All PvE
  • Oakheart's Reach: Only that map
  • Siren's Harmony (or whatever it was called) Only that map.

So 3 map-locked, 1 over several maps, 1 semi-wide and 1 gamewide.

Archived