MMO Huts leak? [Resolved -- not a leak]

Menzo.2185

Anyone been watching TP prices after this or even a few days before? I wonder how those that might be getting inside info from those that got access to the test server (or their alt accounts) are doing on the TP? Anyone notice unusual TP spikes recently? ;)

Of course the only real way to stop insider trading would be to change the key items required to make whatever weapon or armor at the last second and once the episode goes live. That would be very funny though. Test sever, you need M and B to create this weapon. TP insiders with inside information invest in M and B., Once live you need K and V . haha sorry for your luck.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:This report is perfectly fine with us. They kindly asked for our permission to post this, and we agreed.

Thanks for asking, though -- we appreciate that you did that.

Potential viewers should make their own decisions about whether to watch through the videos or read the reports of the Episode 5 introductions we gave to press. Some prefer to go into things without any information, and others like to read/see the insights of our press partners. You choose what's best for you!

You, as the Company should have informed everybody about it. It created a blizzard all over the net about the permission. And giving such video in such sneaky way just makes me very sad.

Could you explain how you would you recommend we do that? Each episode has press coverage -- how would you suggest we forecast that?

I don't think I'd agree with that person's assessment, but requesting press to preface this type of coverage with an explicit spoiler warning would probably be a good idea. Maybe part of some conditional agreement in the release.

Either way, I don't think it's that bad of an idea and I'm glad to see ANet working with gaming news sites on previews like this. It does a good job of building up some hype for releases.

I think the term "spoiler" is pretty subjective. But I do wonder if anyone reads a review or a preview article with the expectation that they will not have "spoilers" of some sort or another? I mean, what would a journalist write, if not a bit about the story, a little about character progression, at least a hint or two about the battle or confrontation or climax that takes place, maybe a few words about the boss/antagonist. A six-minute video that says "I played a preview, and I'm not going to say anything about it" would be rather a waste of time for the creator and their viewers, eh? :D

I don't think writers need to flag their content as a "spoiler" when it's clear it's a preview or a review, and we, as readers, need to read or not read, whatever works for us.

I read a review or preview article knowing that the writer may spoil things, may tell me more than I want to know. I believe we each need to decide what and who we read. Maybe one person is ok with a specific writer's preview but perhaps another person wants to join the episode having fully protected themselves from any advance commentary. Also, when we say "spoilers," we may be thinking different things, for there's a world of difference between naming Luke Skywalker's father and commenting that Hoth is a pretty cold and icy place. ;)

Wow, people will complain about literally anything.

It's great buzz for the game. If you don't want to get spoiled, DON'T GO LOOKING FOR SPOILER VIDEOS.

Could MMOHuts have put in a spoiler warning in the beginning? Sure, sometimes it is best to work with the lowest common denominator and make sure even the most inattentive people get a huge red flag SPOILERS NOW!

Then again their title was very clear:

Guild Wars 2 Living World Season 4 Episode 5 All or Nothing Sneak Peek

They even mention at the very beginning that they were allowed to pre-play parts of the episode with Arenanet developers (in an area which was not spoiling anything yet). If your brain didn't connect the dots and you didn't turn off the video at that point, then that is on you.

People should be happy that this made some news. It draws attention to the game and hopefully will get more people to give it a try come the next weeks.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

Could you explain how you would you recommend we do that? Each episode has press coverage -- how would you suggest we forecast that?

It may not have hurt to put something on the front page about it. Not "SPOILER WARNINGS!", but something more like:

"Today several sites will be revealing details and reviews of the Living Story chapter that launches tomorrow. Feel free to check them out, or dive in spoiler free tomorrow when it goes live!" (insert list of links to reviews/previews here)

No, that wouldn't really be the same as every video having "Spoiler Warning!" on it, but it would have let people know that these people/places were okay to release the info today. As I see it, that's the real issue that started the thread.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Palador.2170 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

It may not have hurt to put something on the front page about it. Not "SPOILER WARNINGS!", but something more like:

"Today several sites will be revealing details and reviews of the Living Story chapter that launches tomorrow. Feel free to check them out, or dive in spoiler free tomorrow when it goes live!" (insert list of links to reviews/previews here)

No, that wouldn't really be the same as every video having "Spoiler Warning!" on it, but it would have let people know that these people/places were okay to release the info today. As I see it, that's the real issue that started the thread.

I wonder why that would be necessary. See my post above -- I can't see people going to press sites and reading/viewing their materials without being aware of what the journalist is covering.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

I wonder why that would be necessary. See my post above -- I can't see people going to press sites and reading/viewing their materials without being aware of what the journalist is covering.

Necessary? It's not. Nice? Well, it's a list of links to sites that are building hype for the game. I'm kind of surprised that it's not standard practice. Wouldn't that help you to build up hype and help them to get more views? As someone that doesn't spend much time on gaming sites, I never even would have known anyone was reviewing LS4-5 if not for this thread. I can't be the only one that didn't know, and would never have looked at those sites without this.

As for the whole "permission" thing, that can be cleared up right now. Should we expect such one day early previews to be normal as we go forward? If so, then the next time it happens we all know and nobody needs to worry.

In the end, this is your job, not mine. You asked questions, and I gave my non-professional opinions. I realize that it's not my call to make, though, and you don't have to listen to me any more than I'd listen to you telling me how to drive a forklift. I'm sure by this time tomorrow we'll have far more interesting things (bugs) to be concerned with.:)

maybe they rush-played the game in their press preview and documented it, made video/writeup of it and published it in their site.

it's like a version of dulfy wherein she documents the things you should do to get a unique item from a patch or something. but they just did it in advance.

i just skimmed through the mmorpg article. looks like they put there the main objectives and we still have to see how to do those.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Er..I read that and, well

! being able to upgrade the Dragonsblood weapons all the way to ascended? You have my attention, even if I already have half a dozen unopened ascended weapon chests in the bank>!

Uhmm...

! Oh no! I don't have need of any more ascended gear at this point, and already have several unused ascended weapons (and armor!) in my bank. Now I need to make room for 28 more?! THE HORROR! :o >!

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Dont worry about it, some folks tend to be a bit too sensitive about their capacity (or lack thereof) to resist getting information without exploring. Occasionally some of them also lack the ability to acknowledge said capacity (or lack thereof) :tongue: : .

I for one was not aware the press had a sneak peak. I only saw Wooden potato's Pharus teaser footage and figured it was not really a big issue to check what his overview was. I wont peek at the sneak, I'm hoping to spend quite a few hours combing the area and reading all the dialogues. I certainly hope for some dwarven lore, but we'll see !

@"Naxos.2503" said:Dont worry about it, some folks tend to be a bit too sensitive about their capacity (or lack thereof) to resist getting information without exploring. Occasionally some of them also lack the ability to acknowledge said capacity (or lack thereof) :tongue: : .

I for one was not aware the press had a sneak peak. I only saw Wooden potato's Pharus teaser footage and figured it was not really a big issue to check what his overview was. I wont peek at the sneak, I'm hoping to spend quite a few hours combing the area and reading all the dialogues. I certainly hope for some dwarven lore, but we'll see !

Okay, hold on. There are two issues here, and you and Gaile both seem to think I'm talking about the wrong one.

I don't care about spoilers. If you watch or read a preview, you run the chance of getting something spoiled. You can't avoid that, and I know that. That's not the issue I'm addressing here.

The issue I AM addressing is the "Are they okay to publish this, or is it a problem?" question that started the thread. You yourself say that you didn't know that the press had a sneak peek, so it's not like you can say it's unreasonable to not know. Someone saw the preview, and worried that a gaming site was putting out information early. That's the only thing I think needs to be addressed here, and it doesn't take much to resolve it for good.

TLDR: Sadly, this thread is a good example of why the devs are shielded from the community. One person demanding ultimate satisfaction draws out others like flies to the mess. Then the company individual is then left to waste hours managing fallout to avoid more backlash. It'll never end.

Thanks for a great game and trying to create some interest for the general public to consider trying the game. Fresh players are great for us.

@Cronos.5940 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:This report is perfectly fine with us. They kindly asked for our permission to post this, and we agreed.

Potential viewers should make their own decisions about whether to watch through the videos or read the reports of the Episode 5 introductions we gave to press. Some prefer to go into things without any information, and others like to read/see the insights of our press partners. You choose what's best for you!

You, as the Company should have informed everybody about it. It created a blizzard all over the net about the permission. And giving such video in such sneaky way just makes me very sad.I personally hate when something is spoiled, even a single detail, for example in Kari Wahlgren's Behind the Voice vid in the beginning there are shown the lines, not like blur, but if you stop at right moments the video you could see the details about A Star to Guide Us story, and whole final part was spoiled for me, because I was the one that decoded them thinking that those are not legit, but they were so the final cutscene was spoiled for me because somebody decided to film the pages with dialogues.

you realize how that sounds right? You spoiled it for yourself lol. Just stop watching the videos, or completely decoding them, and you won't have any issues. That's not the companies fault, that's your own.

I DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THIS...

I am not a fool, the video I was talking about that contained some screen of A Star to Guide Us lines was released few months ago, before this episode was released and it was Behind the Voice: Kari Wahlgren. I was interested in what those pages contain, noticed they can be fully read if you stop at the right moments, but didn't even expect those are so huge spoilers... I found decoding those pages fun, but then I was only hoping the are not legit, that Anet wouldn't shot the real scenario of the episode, but they did, and what was supposed to be surprising to me, was spoiled, because I just didn't know what I was doing.

Also Kari is one of my favourite VAs, and I was very happy seeing her interviewed, but that video should have had a spoiler alert.

@keenedge.9675 said:TLDR: Sadly, this thread is a good example of why the devs are shielded from the community. One person demanding ultimate satisfaction draws out others like flies to the mess. Then the company individual is then left to waste hours managing fallout to avoid more backlash. It'll never end.

Thanks for a great game and trying to create some interest for the general public to consider trying the game. Fresh players are great for us.

yeah kudos to them, me myself would ban people from the forum that are looking to be offended and strive up drama. It seems I would lose a lot of players haha, so yeah, good job Anet on having a thick skin and calm approach.

why would people read an article about new content if not expecting at least some small story spoilers? those articles have always included some sort of story explanation on what is happening, and if you aren't up to date with the story it's always going to spoil something.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

You, as the Company should have informed everybody about it. It created a blizzard all over the net about the permission. And giving such video in such sneaky way just makes me very sad.

I don't think I'd agree with that person's assessment, but requesting press to preface this type of coverage with an explicit spoiler warning would probably be a good idea. Maybe part of some conditional agreement in the release.

Either way, I don't think it's that bad of an idea and I'm glad to see ANet working with gaming news sites on previews like this. It does a good job of building up some hype for releases.

I think the term "spoiler" is pretty subjective. But I do wonder if anyone reads a review or a preview article with the expectation that they will not have "spoilers" of some sort or another? I mean, what would a journalist write, if not a bit about the story, a little about character progression, at least a hint or two about the battle or confrontation or climax that takes place, maybe a few words about the boss/antagonist. A six-minute video that says "I played a preview, and I'm not going to say anything about it" would be rather a waste of time for the creator and their viewers, eh? :D

I don't think writers need to flag their content as a "spoiler" when it's clear it's a preview or a review, and we, as readers, need to read or not read, whatever works for us.

I read a review or preview article knowing that the writer may spoil things, may tell me more than I want to know. I believe we each need to decide what and who we read. Maybe one person is ok with a specific writer's preview but perhaps another person wants to join the episode having fully protected themselves from any advance commentary. Also, when we say "spoilers," we may be thinking different things, for there's a world of difference between naming Luke Skywalker's father and commenting that Hoth is a pretty cold and icy place. ;)

Oh, come on Gaile, there you go talking with logic and reason about common sense, but you of all people should know that the internet is no place for that!

(In all seriousness, I totally agree, but just like warnings on your lawn mower telling you not to stick your hands in the blades, sometimes some people need these sorts of things and it at least resolves you of liability, ridiculous as it may be.)

On reddit H-24h there is all story, all achievment, all fractal detail and meta explain published... hum many friends decline to come play because this publications not hype them... i think let published so many information before the real time is bad thing.

The Com service must have thought it would be nice, but I do not know of any AAA game that broadcasts the end and all the details and gameplay etc even before the release.

If the internal service thinks that will bring new players I think it will not work the new ones are not at this point informed, against the veteran risk losing the interest of the discovery and even if you come to say "it is enough not to look ", wait, when we love GW2 we inquire we follow lots of twitter sites and should not read what they say or even read the official reddit of GW2 because everything is show and explain (meta, build, fractal, story, all... this is not too more thing?)

Be serious.

personally, it does not spoil me anything but hey I hoped to see reveive vetéran who played more and they all told me mouais I saw the publicatiosn on twitter, and bof it seems to me not very interesting.

Here they have made an idea about it and will not come to test, or at least it will come but with a priori.

It will have been cooler to show just a piece of cards or only limited games by agreeing on a limited area not exceeded so that everything is not already known.

It seems a little that you have let the community decite what they could show and necessarily the game of "who will be the first to publish" they have been overbidding.

Well my faith, it does not make the game bad, just the comunication in Anet is always so wobbly, really wobbly.

Archived