Changes to Istan Meta Farming (Discussion)

@Rhein.8197 said:

@"Empanda.4617" said:So ok I understand why you'd want to nerf istan but I'd just like to say Anet, you released the new chapter, full of bugs and crashes. You haven't fixed THAT yet, but you want to change istan, a map grind that people actually enjoy. Now its hard not to be salty about this after experiencing the new chapter and all the bugs, glitches and crashes. Are you POSITIVE, you want to change istan before you fix that new map and story instances where people can get stuck in rocks and crystals in the story instances, dwarven plates don't drop all the time or drop multiple time for the same person messing it up for the other players who need it? Are you POSITIVE you want to change it before you change the fact that you've released broken material that you expect us to be ok with? Like don't get me wrong the istan grind is OP, but at least its not SO broken it's not enjoyable like the new map is. I think you should look at the bad broken map and story you've released before dislocating hundreds of players from their happy grinding area. Now as a coder I know its not that simple, but as a player I have to say this isn't the best way to make your players happy at the moment.

I know this may not be the most popular opinion either.

This 1000000x. Some of the bugs are just unacceptable, especially given the lack of response to certain bugs (I'm starting to think the DB weapon issues will never be resolved). And I think it's a shame that someone has to tag their posts with "I know this may not be the most popular opinion". Like, why is that? Because the player base is largely just as apathetic as ANet about the game's issues because they're jaded by years of bugs? Whatever. It's sad to see anyone discussing Istan when the latest content is simply not in order.

So a bug that exists for hardly 2 weeks makes you think it will never get fixed? Something they can't just activate a switch on that will magically fix it? Really? They've acknowledged several of the bugs and they're working on them. This is useless doomsaying though.

Actually, that was hyperbole, but since you asked: It's within the real of possibility. What evidence do you have that the bugs will be fixed? If so, which bugs, and why?

Ouch ... that's harsh. We know bugs get fixed. Which ones? Just speculation but the ones that are most harmful to the game most likely. I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

"We sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Currently, we are aware of this issue and are going to continue investigating.
Unfortunately, we currently do not have an ETA on a solution
. Be sure to keep your eyes on any upcoming patch notes for hotfixes!
I'm afraid we not able to grant the item or achievement
, but we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding while we work this out!"

This is an example of a response for DB weapons bug. Sounds like lingering to me. Also, I bet they can't grant the necessary items or achievements.

I won't debate with you what lingering means. If you think Anet doesn't care about bugs and just let's them hang around because of that, it's because you want to believe it. There are lots of examples of bugs that Anet did fix, so the idea they just randomly let some linger is disingenuous.

There's no need to debate it because I am (and have been) completely honest about the fact I believe they launched the product (that is, the latest LS installment) without testing it and figured they would have the players debug it for them (leading to long waits for "solutions"). You heard it here first. I'm not trying to sound harsh, or even angry, but definitely concise and honest.

Also, IMO, there's also no debating the fact that given the messy launch, fixing Istan to maintain some daily quality of life concept the company has going on is, at the very least, worthy* of some eye rolling.

Rule #1 of testing, it is impossible to test for every conceivable bug that might happen...there is no reasonable way to replicate the way the entire player base plays a game. There will be players that do things no one thought of during testing and they will break something that appeared to work as intended...this actually applies to all software but primarily to games. People that expect bug free game releases are delusional, there will always be some bugs, it's just the nature of the beast...the most you can do is hope to minimize them. ArenaNet has a testing team, they have QA(if you ever watch the Guild Chat episodes on YouTube some of them have even been on those broadcasts).

Then there's the level of severity of the bug, some bugs will never get fixed because they're so insignificant they don't harm game play, others will be a little higher priority, but still not high enough to warrant a fix within a set amount of time, and others are so game breaking they need to be fixed 'yesterday', but of course until they find the solution 'yesterday' has to wait.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Zaklex.6308 said:Then there's the level of severity of the bug, some bugs will never get fixed because they're so insignificant they don't harm game play, others will be a little higher priority, but still not high enough to warrant a fix within a set amount of time, and others are so game breaking they need to be fixed 'yesterday', but of course until they find the solution 'yesterday' has to wait.

You forgot my favoite kind of bug. The bug that technically fixes another bug that's only found once they're putting in a new feature.Those are quite literally the most amusing ones because it's literally unforseen and causes some hilarious interactions.

It's nonsensical reasoning to nerf the Istan chests by making them a daily. If people want to farm all day than let them be. Instead of fixing your other meta events in game with dead maps(Domain of Kourna, Vabbi, Jahai Bluffs), you want to nerf one of the few enjoyable farms? All it points to is greed for people to buy gems. If they wanted to reasonably nerf Istan than just the VM nerf and maybe a gear drop nerf would be sufficient. At least then people can do what they enjoy and still be making gold.

@phs.6089 said:

@Klypto.1703 said:The funny part is how the patch notes said it improved the chests lol. Anet and myself have two very different views on what the word improved means.

So what did they add?

Nothing they basically nerfed the chests but I guess to them its an improvement.

That is not the full info they gave. I just did Istan still one of my favorite meta in game and in whole PoF.What you get it 1-2 blue additional unid from chest if lucky but in return VM from chests was cut but 2/3. chests use to give 40-50 VM per now its 15 in good day.Plus on top of it not every mob in Pala & GH gives those 'guaranteed' 2-3 VMs on kill.

Istan is awe, that is all thanks to to to those famous commanders that abused multimaping. It was a nice place to get 1-2 runs per day, made 20-30 gold and go do something that you like doing in game. But greed kills maps in GW2, people don't learn.

Pitty it's one of my fav metas, unlike any other it had dynamic play and coordination.

The chests were not improved they were nerfed lol. In the end you are looking at half of the amount of unidentified drops than before not more. By the way though using a function like multi-mapping is not abusing it lol. That is like saying that every time someone is jumping in a jumping puzzle that they are abusing the space bars ability by default key bind to jump. As like I said improvement seems to be a very different point of view where as I see less that is not an improvement.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Empanda.4617" said:So ok I understand why you'd want to nerf istan but I'd just like to say Anet, you released the new chapter, full of bugs and crashes. You haven't fixed THAT yet, but you want to change istan, a map grind that people actually enjoy. Now its hard not to be salty about this after experiencing the new chapter and all the bugs, glitches and crashes. Are you POSITIVE, you want to change istan before you fix that new map and story instances where people can get stuck in rocks and crystals in the story instances, dwarven plates don't drop all the time or drop multiple time for the same person messing it up for the other players who need it? Are you POSITIVE you want to change it before you change the fact that you've released broken material that you expect us to be ok with? Like don't get me wrong the istan grind is OP, but at least its not SO broken it's not enjoyable like the new map is. I think you should look at the bad broken map and story you've released before dislocating hundreds of players from their happy grinding area. Now as a coder I know its not that simple, but as a player I have to say this isn't the best way to make your players happy at the moment.

I know this may not be the most popular opinion either.

This 1000000x. Some of the bugs are just unacceptable, especially given the lack of response to certain bugs (I'm starting to think the DB weapon issues will never be resolved). And I think it's a shame that someone has to tag their posts with "I know this may not be the most popular opinion". Like, why is that? Because the player base is largely just as apathetic as ANet about the game's issues because they're jaded by years of bugs? Whatever. It's sad to see anyone discussing Istan when the latest content is simply not in order.

So a bug that exists for hardly 2 weeks makes you think it will never get fixed? Something they can't just activate a switch on that will magically fix it? Really? They've acknowledged several of the bugs and they're working on them. This is useless doomsaying though.

Actually, that was hyperbole, but since you asked: It's within the real of possibility. What evidence do you have that the bugs will be fixed? If so, which bugs, and why?

Ouch ... that's harsh. We know bugs get fixed. Which ones? Just speculation but the ones that are most harmful to the game most likely. I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

"We sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Currently, we are aware of this issue and are going to continue investigating.
Unfortunately, we currently do not have an ETA on a solution
. Be sure to keep your eyes on any upcoming patch notes for hotfixes!
I'm afraid we not able to grant the item or achievement
, but we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding while we work this out!"

This is an example of a response for DB weapons bug. Sounds like lingering to me. Also, I bet they can't grant the necessary items or achievements.

I won't debate with you what lingering means. If you think Anet doesn't care about bugs and just let's them hang around because of that, it's because you want to believe it. There are lots of examples of bugs that Anet did fix, so the idea they just randomly let some linger is disingenuous.

There's no need to debate it because I am (and have been) completely honest about the fact I believe they launched the product (that is, the latest LS installment) without testing it and figured they would have the players debug it for them (leading to long waits for "solutions"). You heard it here first. I'm not trying to sound harsh, or even angry, but definitely concise and honest.

Also, IMO, there's also no debating the fact that given the messy launch, fixing Istan to maintain some daily quality of life concept the company has going on is, at the very least, worthy* of some eye rolling.

Rule #1 of testing, it is impossible to test for every conceivable bug that might happen...there is no reasonable way to replicate the way the entire player base plays a game. There will be players that do things no one thought of during testing and they will break something that appeared to work as intended...this actually applies to all software but primarily to games. People that expect bug free game releases are delusional, there will always be some bugs, it's just the nature of the beast...the most you can do is hope to minimize them. ArenaNet has a testing team, they have QA(if you ever watch the Guild Chat episodes on YouTube some of them have even been on those broadcasts).

Then there's the level of severity of the bug, some bugs will never get fixed because they're so insignificant they don't harm game play, others will be a little higher priority, but still not high enough to warrant a fix within a set amount of time, and others are so game breaking they need to be fixed 'yesterday', but of course until they find the solution 'yesterday' has to wait.

This is a nontechnical, common misconception unfortunately. There are many examples of bugs in the LS story release that have nothing to do with "how players did things" (although as you pointed out, some do). There are basic features in the LS release (types of features we've seen before in Guild Wars 2) that are broken and indicate that there is an issue with the code. I am working on a bachelor's in CS and have programmed in Java, C++, Python, SQL, and more. I don't need a course on the "number one rules" of testing. The development team simply didn't have it together for this release. If you quickly go over the forums for some of the bug topics regarding LS5 you can see exactly what I'm talking about. If you are in game development or software engineering, I'm concerned.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:You're going to have to define grind then because all ascended gear can be crafted simply by the mats you earn playing the game (i.e., not needing to grind anything) or purchase off the TP. If you grind for mats, it's because you CHOOSE that path to get the mats for the gear you want, not because you NEED to play that way.

Ok. Let's say you just play the game for materials...aren't you then just grinding different events, or farming?

Maybe ... but that's and odd reason to play a game. If I want to just 'farm' a material ... I would get a second job and 'farm' money. I play games to have to fun ... lucky for us, in this game, you can do that without resorting to 'farming' materials to get things you want.

Again, you are going to have to get into a discussion about what 'grinding' means to you if you want to argue you have to grind in this game to get something like Ascended gear. I'm also under the impression that if you think this game is forcing you to grind, your experience in MMO's is pretty limited.

So how do you define what 'grinding" is?

How I define grind is irrelevant.

No it's pretty relevant because from where I sit, you don't need to grind to get most of the loot in this game. So if you are going to say it's a grind and that's related to not good parts of the game or changes to it, you better be clear about what you mean.

I will not spell out examples of grind in GW2 or the logic behind farming Istan for gold any more than I have already. There are reddit posts you can search to get player opinions on how to manage the material and gold requirements of various endeavours and many of them will point to participating in metas. If that isn't satisfactory, I will assume you are being disingenuous, or just aren't into crafting/collections/fractals/etc? It's also derailing the thread (we're not talking about the meaning of grind).

I did see someone say you can raid with Exotics and that it's been done. Okay? You're not going to convince people to stop crafting ascended weapons and armor.

Moreover, as a final note: Nothing about the Istan change will affect how the player who farmed Istan will operate. The same players will continue using metas to get gold and materials until ANet sufficiently nerfs them all down. I guess you can spend the additional time between now and the final nerf wondering to yourself why people ever farmed Istan for gold since I can't adequately explain it.

Right, you want to avoid a discussion about 'grinding' in GW2 because it's a non-starter. I would back peddle too if I started to make claims that related to how you have to 'grind' in GW2 to get things you want because that's simply not true. I'm not here to convince people they don't need ascended gear but I'm going to challenge the implication that you need to 'grind' any map in the game to do it, including Istan.

There isn't any question about it; people in Istan farmed there because it's scrub level play for pro-level rewards, contrary to the guy trying to convince us all that people prefer Istan because it provides a complex and unique socially interactive gameplay and not because it has the highest rewards for zerg farmers. I know when I'm being fed a load of bull.

I actually never argued that Istan has a social element, although it does by default (there's squad play and map chat). Are you confusing me with someone else?

How have I avoided a discussion about it? We've literally been talking about it for 10 posts. There are grind elements in GW2, you just don't have to grind to "win" the game which is what grinding traditionally implies.

And in this post you revealed your true position: you view Istan farmers as scrubs who are undeserving of pro level rewards. Are people who whip out their credit cards for the gem store pro level? Or is it just people who play the way you want? It doesn't matter to me. I think people should be able to play however they want as long as it isn't breaking the game. Istan was not breaking the game, simply put. As I said, reducing Istan won't change anything anyway.

As some of you have pointed out and also with a guild member of mine. That one potential and totally understandable reason why Istan was changed the way it was changed, was because people were using the farm to convert to gems. Thus, Anet was losing out on money from people who would normally purchase gems who instead spent a few hundred hours in Istan to buy whatever gems they needed.

It makes sense, a sad sense, but it does make sense.

@"Alimar.8760" said:As some of you have pointed out and also with a guild member of mine. That one potential and totally understandable reason why Istan was changed the way it was changed, was because people were using the farm to convert to gems. Thus, Anet was losing out on money from people who would normally purchase gems who instead spent a few hundred hours in Istan to buy whatever gems they needed.

I agree with this, although I think it's a combination of using the gold for gems and also using gold as an alternative to "farming" (i.e. player earns gold in Istan and buys wood they might need that they would otherwise have to run around and cut down). This is a good example of what I and other players here have referred to as "grind" because finding nodes is repetitious and boring. if you need hundreds of one wood to level up a profession or craft something, earning the gold in Istan to purchase the wood is more fun (for some players) than farming nodes. You can earn gold (and wood) other ways, but the Istan meta is one way, and there's nothing wrong with that. You can even still earn gold in Istan 2.0, just perhaps not as much as before.

If ANet didn't want this type of zerg to form, then they wouldn't allow it in the first place at all.

@Alimar.8760 said:As some of you have pointed out and also with a guild member of mine. That one potential and totally understandable reason why Istan was changed the way it was changed, was because people were using the farm to convert to gems. Thus, Anet was losing out on money from people who would normally purchase gems who instead spent a few hundred hours in Istan to buy whatever gems they needed.

Anet did not lose money from the conversation why you might ask me. This is because players still buy gems, these same players sell gems, other players buy the gems with gold from the players that bought them with money.It isn't like you buy the gems from Anet with gold, you buy it from other players who bought it with money.

I have not seen any real (official) reason from Anet of why they changed it. But I do hope they revert back to it was, cause the change came to late. (They should have changed within the first month to be fair)

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Etria.3642 said:I definitely feel when I choose to obtain something from the gem shop and grind gold to convert that it is a grind.This is your choice. You could simply purchase gems (which helps to keep the servers running).

Even if you purchase the gems with gold indirectly you support Anet, cause other players will keep buying gems as long as other people are willing to pay gold for it.

@Klypto.1703 said:

The chests were not improved they were nerfed lol.

On Wednesday I made 40g in an hour off of Istan, today was about 15, but I didn't do Aki or Books, just GH and Pala. If you're active, it's very profitable, but it's less easy to coast through it now just tagging champs. My profits from gear went up quite a lot, even if my VM was a bit lower.

@"Obtena.7952" said:There isn't any question about it -- people in Istan farmed there because it's scrub level play for pro-level rewards, contrary to the guy trying to convince us all that people prefer Istan because it provides a complex and unique socially interactive gameplay and not because it has the highest rewards for zerg farmers. I know when I'm being fed a load of bull.

I'm still right here, bud.

And you've already backpedaled four times because of how strongly I've countered your points, by going back, editing your remarks, then calling my statements "a load of bull."

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I presented hard facts. You're the one who refuses to face them.

Troll someone else.

@Alimar.8760 said:As some of you have pointed out and also with a guild member of mine. That one potential and totally understandable reason why Istan was changed the way it was changed, was because people were using the farm to convert to gems. Thus, Anet was losing out on money from people who would normally purchase gems who instead spent a few hundred hours in Istan to buy whatever gems they needed.

except it doesn't when you remember that the gold to gem conversion rate depends on how many ppl sell their gems so if alot of ppl are opting out of buying gems for grinding gold and converting them we would have noticed it by gem prices skyrocketing.

it's more likely that anet didn't like that a large part of their population was huddled on one map and wants them spread out more over multiple farm locations

@derd.6413 said:

except it doesn't when you remember that the gold to gem conversion rate depends on how many ppl sell their gems so if alot of ppl are opting out of buying gems for grinding gold and converting them we would have noticed it by gem prices skyrocketing.

it's more likely that anet didn't like that a large part of their population was huddled on one map and wants them spread out more over multiple farm locations

I don't know about skyrocketing, but gems were down around 70g ->400 not that long ago, and now practically doubled since Istan.

/shrug

IMPROVING the chests in Istan: Where?

Padawan:Before Nerve about 1000 to 1200 magicAfter nerve: roughly 300

Question: Improvements?

GHYes, a little info about improvement (and I'm only talking about what I noticed)

This lunchtime: connection to Istan. I pass in front of GH, to go do Bob who was Up, and what do I see? SURPRISE!!!!!!!

GH had been done shortly before ( I suppose) and the main door was open. The 12 chests were there and reaching out to me. I was able to open them without having to participate for a single second and vent it ^^

It's not beautiful that B) :p

O_o

@SpinDashMaster.5680 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:
There isn't any question about it -- people in Istan farmed there because it's scrub level play for pro-level rewards, contrary to the guy trying to convince us all that people prefer Istan because it provides a complex and unique socially interactive gameplay and not because it has the highest rewards for zerg farmers. I know when I'm being fed a load of bull.

I'm still right here, bud.

And you've already backpedaled four times because of how strongly I've countered your points, by going back, editing your remarks, then calling my statements "a load of bull."

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I presented hard facts. You're the one who refuses to face them.

Troll someone else.

I've not backpeddled at all; I'm stated my opinion consistently throughout this thread; most people farm Istan (or did) because it's easy and gives huge rewards. If there are people that farm Istan because of the 'complex' and 'unique' social interaction, then 1) they are the minority and 2) they can get social experiences in other zones as well.

The change was warranted and explained and the reasoning is sensible. If people are lamenting the loss of whatever good things that were in Istan that are no longer there because of the change, they simply aren't looking far enough beyond Istan to see that those good things are found elsewhere as well. The 'Bull' part is where people say that with the new Istan, those things don't exist, like the previous 6+ years of the game were simply garbage with a poor player social interaction and Istan is some kind of pinnacle of social gamer interaction? No ... just don't.

Is it a joke? You nerf the number of times we can loot Istan's chest per day by saying that you'll compensate improving their loot, but in truth you nerfed it too.Remember this, you can play fool with your playerbase a limited number of times (like Istan's chest), after that they will have enough of you and will leave the game for good.Because it's not a matter of nerfing things, I couldn't care less of that, it's a matter of credibility, you can't say "we're gonna do white", while in truth you do black.

@derd.6413 said:

Doesn't necessarily have to skyrocket to be an evident problem. Because as gold to gems conversion continues, the gold value of each gem goes up. Thereby incentivizing people to buy gems and convert to gold. It'll eventually reach an equilibrium price.

But since each price counteracts each other, It isn't the only solution. I only stated that it was potentially a reason (Not the only reason.) for the change and it's understandable.

@Alimar.8760 said:Anet was losing out on money from people who would normally purchase gems who instead spent a few hundred hours in Istan to buy whatever gems they needed.

@Alimar.8760 said:Doesn't necessarily have to skyrocket to be an evident problem. Because as gold to gems conversion continues, the gold value of each gem goes up. Thereby incentivizing people to buy gems and convert to gold. It'll eventually reach an equilibrium price.

could you explain how these aren't contradictory to each other

Now i see people doing HOT metas more frecuently, it is good to see the population being more disperse, now is easier for people to get their first e-specs weapons, and is the same to get their achievements if they are making a second generation legendary weapon (those which require achievements from hot).

Detractors say that they will leave the game, but in reality these people will just go to other maps after they do their daily istan meta. Now what needs to be worked are the rewards from pof maps, like mouth of torment and serpents ire (this last one needs to have their difficulty changed too).

For me, i would like to make every meta once a day. Mouth of torment, Serpents ire, GH, Palawadan, Specimen Chamber, The awakened experiments, etc... but i need these meta events to have good rewards so i get motivated to play them, and in a moderate difficulty so i can be sure that if i go in a partially disciplined squad i will complete the event.

As Hirukaru.4539 responded.Anet lose nothing by letting people buy gems with gold infact they might even lose on this now.Since less people buying up the gem pool so the gems dont rise up in gold price as much.That in turn make people more hesistant to spend their real cash to buy gems and turn into gold to replenish said pool.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@"Bish.8627" said:"Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.Or, you know, they wanted people to
do the event
. This isn't even remotely the first time they've made this exact change, for the exact same reason every time.

You got it wrong OP, ive seen people willfully running the event out of time and keeping it from being completed despite others protesting, just because they wanted to farm karma. This was a GOOD change to stop such abusive behavior.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Bish.8627" said:"Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.Or, you know, they wanted people to
do the event
. This isn't even remotely the first time they've made this exact change, for the exact same reason every time.

You got it wrong OP, ive seen people willfully running the event out of time and keeping it from being completed despite others protesting, just because they wanted to farm karma. This was a GOOD change to stop such abusive behavior.

And why dident the people protesting run out grab shards and charge the crystal the manual way?

Archived