Celebration Hat I want this hat

huluobo.7036

I've noticed that nobody actually wears the hat. I think it's too bad that an underused skin is being jealously guarded by those who just want to have something exclusive. I think it would be fairer (to the hat) if everyone who currently has it is given an exclusive title (might I suggest the oft-repeated mantra "I was there"). Then the hat can be made obtainable again, and used by people who actually like it for what it is. Those who want to show that they were in the game at launch will also have an easier time displaying that fact, without having to compromise on their looks.

I still don't have the hat or the shirt even if I started few weeks after launch since it just disappeared from gem store when I started playing. And then I did my best effort to join Dragon Tee contest from day 1 and spam that shit but it was so bugged here in EU that I didn't get the outfit even tho most of other people did. I just got spam in my email. Hated that poor way to get the skin.

I actually liked idea of exclusive skins back in the day but all other skins from the past are available now so it does not matter to me anymore.How about Royal Guard Outfit? It was supposed to be reward for accounts created before August 29, 2015 (the group who paid more for the game) and it's still available on wardrobe unlock. You are sure these skins are not in there?

@"Leablo.2651" said:I've noticed that nobody actually wears the hat. I think it's too bad that an underused skin is being jealously guarded by those who just want to have something exclusive. I think it would be fairer (to the hat) if everyone who currently has it is given an exclusive title (might I suggest the oft-repeated mantra "I was there"). Then the hat can be made obtainable again, and used by people who actually like it for what it is. Those who want to show that they were in the game at launch will also have an easier time displaying that fact, without having to compromise on their looks.

Problem is that just shifts the problem to a different type of item and a different group of players. Just like some people collect skins and others want this one because it would suit their character there are some people who collect titles and would want to use this title.

It would be better to just make the hat available again.

i want the title, hero of lions arch, but when the event was there it was boring (only killing mobs all day long) and i didnt understand the game. it was to difficult for me compared to other mmo i already played. so i left again. at release i played till warrior was lvl 80 but it was not easy to build all things up in this new mmo. i missed so many nice things like the title. yes i have the hat but for female char its not nice because hair get removed. but because this game has no subs and graphics are nice i wanted to play it and like it and in 2016 i started playing serious. and i still play. bad that i haven't completed the event in 2014 or something. but a title is no gemstore item so i wont ask the team :) (and sorry if i am offtopic) i thought this is also an exclusive thing so i didnt made a new topic :)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:They might as well release it. They re-released that Dragon Tee Shirt to that was originally only available at launch. Might as well let everyone have the cap as well.

The dragon emblem outfit was not a release celebration thing everyone could obtain at the time. It was only obtainable by people who went to a certain convention in the U.S. You couldn't expect everyone from around the world to fly to the U.S. only to get that item code (besides, it was a surprise gift anyway). So, re-releasing that was okay IMO, because a ton of people didn't have the
chance
to get it, even when they had pre-ordered the game.

The baseball cap, on the other hand, was not bound to some RL event that 99.99% of the playerbase was not able to attend, but to the time you started playing the game. Therefore, it is different when you keep something like that exclusive to veterans.

Gaile told the OP to ask for it formally in the Gemstore request thread, so it appears that they don’t consider it exclusive to veterans.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:They might as well release it. They re-released that Dragon Tee Shirt to that was originally only available at launch. Might as well let everyone have the cap as well.

The dragon emblem outfit was not a release celebration thing everyone could obtain at the time. It was only obtainable by people who went to a certain convention in the U.S. You couldn't expect everyone from around the world to fly to the U.S. only to get that item code (besides, it was a surprise gift anyway). So, re-releasing that was okay IMO, because a ton of people didn't have the
chance
to get it, even when they had pre-ordered the game.

The baseball cap, on the other hand, was not bound to some RL event that 99.99% of the playerbase was not able to attend, but to the time you started playing the game. Therefore, it is different when you keep something like that exclusive to veterans.

Gaile told the OP to ask for it formally in the Gemstore request thread, so it appears that they don’t consider it exclusive to veterans.

Nothing is more exclusive than more money for ANet. Are we talking about the cap that makes you bald when you wear it? I never like it. The Dragon-Tee is pretty though.

Here's a thought I had today, and will add to the suggestion thread as well: Why not introduce a baseball cap with a guild logo on it? That would be amazing. It would even let you have a logo-less cap if you weren't repping a guild, just like the guild armor. That would be a fine gem shop item, would let everyone that wants such a hat get one, and would not at all diminish the commemorative value of the original.

@"Leablo.2651" said:I've noticed that nobody actually wears the hat. I think it's too bad that an underused skin is being jealously guarded by those who just want to have something exclusive. I think it would be fairer (to the hat) if everyone who currently has it is given an exclusive title (might I suggest the oft-repeated mantra "I was there"). Then the hat can be made obtainable again, and used by people who actually like it for what it is. Those who want to show that they were in the game at launch will also have an easier time displaying that fact, without having to compromise on their looks.

I was there at launch but I never claimed the hat. I thought then, as I think now, that it was utterly inappropriate for the game-setting. My objection to re-releasing it would be based on that, not on any idea of exclusivity.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Gaile told the OP to ask for it formally in the Gemstore request thread, so it appears that they don’t consider it exclusive to veterans.

Gaile isn't a dev, and she said that the thread would be called to their attention. That doesn't mean the request will be considered.

True, but she is an long term ANet employee, well familiar with their policies and philosophy. It struck me as interesting that after reading the arguments in this thread for keeping it only for vets, she felt it was reasonable to say ‘post it for consideration.’ If it was truly not a possibility then she wouldn’t have suggested it. In fact, she went out of her way to post on this thread to suggest asking for it on the gemstore thread. She could have said ‘no, it won’t be available’ or not posted at all.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I suggest that you add your request to this official
. I'm calling it to the attention of the team today, so it's a good day to add ideas!

it was a gift that celebrated the launch of the game, it should never become available again

Gating items like that, even after 6 years, is a bad idea. Let people that want to use those items get them.

There are reasons other than not knowing about GW2 where current players would not have been able to participate in the celebration launch festival to get the hat.

• Not old enough or allowed to play the game for some period of time. ( this would not be by choice, maybe parents)
  • Military members who bought the game pre-order online at a MWR but could not log in because in a combat deployment.
  • They were in a coma
  • They came from the future but the date they expected to arrive was a mistake a just a few days too late.

I am sure there are others, and I think cases like these deserve a chance at the hat. Unfortunately, everyone and there mother's wife's sister's cousin's uncle-in-law will want a chance at the hat too because they also have a "valid" excuse.

It might make the peeps who have them but never wear them feel they lose their exclusive shiney.

So, perhaps a compromise is the solution. Just give the "everybody" group a chance to buy a blank baseball cap skin from the gem store.

While you are at it make a baseball skin for the swords, and put barbwire around it. (wink)

@Raknar.4735 said:

. I'm calling it to the attention of the team today, so it's a good day to add ideas!

it was a gift that celebrated the launch of the game, it should never become available again

Gating items like that, even after 6 years, is a bad idea. Let people that want to use those items get them.

Not really a bad idea if there are thousands of skins to chose from. there is no reason to not have some special skins if there is such a wide selection of skins in the game. It is not even a great looking skin, just a memento for the release of the game, since it removes your hairs

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Not really a bad idea if there are thousands of skins to chose from. there is no reason to not have some special skins if there is such a wide selection of skins in the game. It is not even a great looking skin, just a memento for the release of the game, since it removes your hairs

I would agree with you, if there would be similiar skins, like another cap that is available, essentialy a reskin.The wide variety of skins in the game is pointless if you are just after a certain type of gear-skin. It may be a memento of the release of the game, yet i barely see it around, because, like you said, it removes hair/horns etc..

If i see someone wearing the skin i don't really think to myself "Wow, he's been here from the beginning." or "I have that too! I remember where i got that, good times!" I just check his character out to see if it fits his appearance.I do understand that you want to keep it exclusive, as a memento of the past, and I also wouldn't mind if Arenanet would just create a reskin with another pattern for the thread-owner, if that makes him happy.

I'm just against "losing" skins to time-related content the same way we lost the story for LS-season 1, the Frost-and-Fire dungeon that is just a fractal of its past, the whole nightmare tower, the marionette fight and the battle on the breachmaker. That's why I'm happy they atleast brought back the skins from that season through the festival vendor. After all, Guild Wars 2's horizontal progression has a lot to do with skins.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Thumbs way up Malediktus!!!! It was the LAUNCH of the game reward.....not the 6 1/2 years later game.......Leave it as is. And for those that were around then simply send a ticket to Anet and they will replace it. I lost mine somewhere during wardrobe change along with the polly/polla doll and both were replaced.

The reason why I think the hat should remain exclusive, but the T-shirt shouldn't, is that the hat was something that anyone in the world could get. The original T-shirt was something that was originally offered to people that had the ability to go to a certain physical location at a set time. It was too regional. If, like the hat, any of us, anywhere, could have reasonably gotten to it, then I'd have said to keep that exclusive as well.

Even though lots of people were there from the launch and on, not that many people got it.The gem store wasn’t an advertised big thing at the time yet, it was just ‘there’.So with no inclination to look for the free hat, many people just didn’t hear about it until weeks, months, or even years later.So, with that in mind, i am in favor of adding it an npc for a short while, for people whose acounts are sufficiently old enough

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I'm torn.I really do prefer that a very tiny list of items should be exclusive to commemorate special occasions, the ol' "you really had to be there" sort of souvenir. I like in other games (including GW1 before GW2 was announced) that I could identify certain veterans based on what they were wearing, even though I'd never have been able to obtain the same skins.

And what for the people who actually were there?Its not like the hat was advertised on the front page.Surprisingly, a lot of people only found out afterwards

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I'm torn.I really do prefer that a very tiny list of items should be exclusive to commemorate special occasions, the ol' "you really had to be there" sort of souvenir. I like in other games (including GW1 before GW2 was announced) that I could identify certain veterans based on what they were wearing, even though I'd never have been able to obtain the same skins.

And what for the people who actually were there?Its not like the hat was advertised on the front page.Surprisingly, a lot of people only found out afterwards

If you were there send in a ticket to ANET.......They are quick to respond and they check your account etc. They replaced mine when it was lost in wardrobe change. Doesn't hurt to request. GL

@Tasida.4085 said:

If you were there send in a ticket to ANET.......They are quick to respond and they check your account etc. They replaced mine when it was lost in wardrobe change. Doesn't hurt to request. GL

Not a bad suggestion, I'll give it a try

Archived