Discussion Thread: ArenaNet News of 21 February 2019 [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:No. No matter how big a customer you are, you don't automatically become an investor.This is what I said originally:@Gehenna.3625 said:I think that people who dropped a lot of cash on gems do have a fair reason to ask this question since the return is a lot less for them than what they put into it. But even the whales will have to realize that their investment into the game, doesn't actually make them an investor. So that should be food for thought.Anything else?

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is the time to make any accusations or blanket statements like that. GW2 isn't in maintenance mode. Look at GW1 for that. We have over a year of content still coming and it's doing well enough to say that it is most likely going to continue after that.

Simplified, this thread is just rude and out of place right now.

Who cares?

Business decisions fail everywhere. They are chances that you either take or you don't. Sometimes they blow up and print money for you, other times they fail. Most of the time they just quietly get shuffled around or shelved forever. Sometimes they are reborn in different ideas that iterate on parts of it.

In the end all we can hope for is that the restructuring helps push forward things faster than before, since that would be the #1 goal of it. A more centralized structure for higher quality.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Oh look, another thread pushing a subscription idea.Guarantee atleast 50% of the playerbase would leave if ANY sub is introduced, optionally or not.You don't know the actual financials NCSoft is working with, lay-offs or not. Restructuring and laying-off unnecessary roles within companies is insanely common in many corporations, not just gaming. Does it suck for those who will be laid off, yes of course. Does the game need these particular ideas 'to stay afloat'. Nope.

Spoken like a person who doesn't care about the future of the game.

Actually spoken like a person who does not have a knee jerk reaction to a "supposed" lack of financial performance from GW2, which you have neither proven nor which has been in any way indicated at currently.

Unless the cancelling of unrelated projects which were financed with income generated from GW2 to you means: GW2 was under-performing.

Kind of a weird interpretation of the currently known facts, but hey, if that's how you see things.

Companies and organizations have bottom lines. The better a company does the better everyone does, and that also translates to more stuff for all players.

You should look over the public NCSOFT financial releases sometime, and come back to tell me Anet couldn’t use a boost. I’ll be waiting.

Maintenance mode means no new content, no devs working on the future of the game. That isn’t the case here.

People seem desp to create new threads on the same subject just to gleefully fan flames and stir things up. Who says things were secret from NCSoft after all? All I see is that projects behind the scenes were cancelled. This is not new, it’s just sections of the gw2 forum community seems to not understand this happens in companies.

So no I’m not worried about the game. I’m sympathetic towards the team of devs who put the work in and yet might lose their job.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:How they spend your money is largely not our business since you get a return already for it. I totally get people thinking it helps guide the business but the reality is it is t that simple.I think that people who dropped a lot of cash on gems do have a fair reason to ask this question since the return is a lot less for them than what they put into it. But even the whales will have to realize that their investment into the game, doesn't actually make them an investor. So that should be food for thought.This isn’t an Anet or NCSoft thing either, businesses owned by others often move investments around subsidiaries. Profits from other games no doubt funded gw2 which seems to be acceptable?That's pretty much true in my opinion as well.If you are hoping for full transparency then I wouldn’t hold my breath to be honest.Agreed. That will never happen

Everyone who spent money, large amount or small, on gems got 100% of what they paid for.Not really. It is fair comment that people got what they paid for when it comes to the box game and some minimal purchases. The only people who paid more than they got for are the whales. But even then it's fair for them to ask the question but not realistic to expect an answer. I limited my spending on purpose so I get what I paid for. Some expenditure is fair on a game without a sub, but I got what I paid for. So I don't feel I have the right to ask them how they invested their surplus that came from whales and not myself. I understand they might ask the question but as I said, I do not think they should expect an answer.

Can you provide a single example of someone who, for example, spent real money on a set amount of gems and didnt get those gems?No and that's irrelevant. Getting your money's worth is that the money you spend gets you something of value that is represented by that money and that is NOT the case. Just because ArenaNet asks those prices does not mean you get a fair value for it. That's the cool thing for them because they have a monopoly there.

Don't even act like asking exorbitant prices for products is a fair and ethical business practice. It's legal no doubt but there are a lot of things that are legal that are ethical or fair. In this discussion you represent the letter of the law and I represent ethics. We're not going to agree unless I abandon my sense of ethics or you abandon the idea that laws are ethical by default.

When a game costs 30 bucks (price of an expansion including the base game) asking 8 bucks for a single skin or 24 bucks for a set of indestructible gathering tools is not a fair value. It just isn't.

If the screen display says that $100 gives 8k gems and you choose to spend the $100, and then you receive the 8k gems...you absolutely have received 100% of what you paid for.

Every single buyer of gems had the numbers in front of them at the time they were deciding whether or not to spend their money. Every single buyer, 100% of them 100% of the time, made an informed decision that the value of what they would receive was worth what they were willing to spend.

$8 for a skin or $24 for a set of tools may not be fair value to you, but from the most casual of examinations of players in game it is clear that it is to others. Keep in mind that the actual real money price for those items is a range from $0 to the $8/24 you mention. The player gets to choose his real money price.

Still, you said that people were not getting what they paid for. This is factually incorrect. With the possible exception of a bug that should be reported to ANet, every single player who has ever bought gems/gem store items has gotten exactly what was listed at the price they chose to pay.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Oh look, another thread pushing a subscription idea.Guarantee atleast 50% of the playerbase would leave if ANY sub is introduced, optionally or not.You don't know the actual financials NCSoft is working with, lay-offs or not. Restructuring and laying-off unnecessary roles within companies is insanely common in many corporations, not just gaming. Does it suck for those who will be laid off, yes of course. Does the game need these particular ideas 'to stay afloat'. Nope.

I don't need to, Anet/NCSoft pays people to do that for me. They pay people to make content to keep me playing and cosmetics for me to buy, if they do good, I'll spend, if they don't I wont, as I'm sure every other player thinks this way.I am the consumer, as are you. I am not a stock holder, not an affiliate, I do not own/work for Anet or NCSoft, therefore, their business is none of my business.Again, you don't know NCSofts financials, and aren't in any position to make claims that would benefit the game on a financial level.There's a lot of problems with the game that need fixing, A subscription wont give Anet license to fix them as much as you believe it will, and it will alienate all the players who bought the game
because
it has no subscription model.

Nor I, but I am a customer who wants this game to be better and grow... Just like NCSOFT and Anet both do.

Ummm an optional sub helps to provide a more consistent revenue stream, which helps for future development of stuff players want.

ArenaNet was founded in 2000 by people who worked at Blizzard before. Ncsoft bought them in 2002, well before GW1 came out. Then became part of Ncsoft West in 2008 well before GW2 came out.

Bottom line is that ArenaNet were owned by Ncsoft for a long time and are part of a larger strategy. I know that ArenaNet have sort of kept their own face throughout this but they have been a division of Ncsoft for a long time. As such Ncsoft sets the main strategy and when some things don't work out or fall through there are consequences. Was it worth it? Ask Ncsoft. They do a great deal of sales via mobile games now, so I guess the answer is yes.

Just don't hold ArenaNet responsible as a unit for the larger strategy of Ncsoft. They have been part of the fold since 2002 and as of that moment it was just a matter of time.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Oh look, another thread pushing a subscription idea.Guarantee atleast 50% of the playerbase would leave if ANY sub is introduced, optionally or not.You don't know the actual financials NCSoft is working with, lay-offs or not. Restructuring and laying-off unnecessary roles within companies is insanely common in many corporations, not just gaming. Does it suck for those who will be laid off, yes of course. Does the game need these particular ideas 'to stay afloat'. Nope.

I don't need to, Anet/NCSoft pays people to do that for me. They pay people to make content to keep me playing and cosmetics for me to buy, if they do good, I'll spend, if they don't I wont, as I'm sure every other player thinks this way.I am the consumer, as are you. I am not a stock holder, not an affiliate, I do not own/work for Anet or NCSoft, therefore, their business is none of my business.Again, you don't know NCSofts financials, and aren't in any position to make claims that would benefit the game on a financial level.There's a lot of problems with the game that need fixing, A subscription wont give Anet license to fix them as much as you believe it will, and it will alienate all the players who bought the game
because
it has no subscription model.

Nor I, but I am a customer who wants this game to be better and grow... Just like NCSOFT and Anet both do.

Ummm an optional sub helps to provide a more consistent revenue stream, which helps for future development of stuff players want.

If the current revenue stream fluctuates between (numbers used for sake of demonstration only) 50 and 100, and an optional sub changes that fluctuating number to a consistent 30, then your consistency is hurting the game. Consistently lower is not a good thing.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:How they spend your money is largely not our business since you get a return already for it. I totally get people thinking it helps guide the business but the reality is it is t that simple.I think that people who dropped a lot of cash on gems do have a fair reason to ask this question since the return is a lot less for them than what they put into it. But even the whales will have to realize that their investment into the game, doesn't actually make them an investor. So that should be food for thought.This isn’t an Anet or NCSoft thing either, businesses owned by others often move investments around subsidiaries. Profits from other games no doubt funded gw2 which seems to be acceptable?That's pretty much true in my opinion as well.If you are hoping for full transparency then I wouldn’t hold my breath to be honest.Agreed. That will never happen

Everyone who spent money, large amount or small, on gems got 100% of what they paid for.Not really. It is fair comment that people got what they paid for when it comes to the box game and some minimal purchases. The only people who paid more than they got for are the whales. But even then it's fair for them to ask the question but not realistic to expect an answer. I limited my spending on purpose so I get what I paid for. Some expenditure is fair on a game without a sub, but I got what I paid for. So I don't feel I have the right to ask them how they invested their surplus that came from whales and not myself. I understand they might ask the question but as I said, I do not think they should expect an answer.

Can you provide a single example of someone who, for example, spent real money on a set amount of gems and didnt get those gems?No and that's irrelevant. Getting your money's worth is that the money you spend gets you something of value that is represented by that money and that is NOT the case. Just because ArenaNet asks those prices does not mean you get a fair value for it. That's the cool thing for them because they have a monopoly there.

Don't even act like asking exorbitant prices for products is a fair and ethical business practice. It's legal no doubt but there are a lot of things that are legal that are ethical or fair. In this discussion you represent the letter of the law and I represent ethics. We're not going to agree unless I abandon my sense of ethics or you abandon the idea that laws are ethical by default.

When a game costs 30 bucks (price of an expansion including the base game) asking 8 bucks for a single skin or 24 bucks for a set of indestructible gathering tools is not a fair value. It just isn't.

If the screen display says that $100 gives 8k gems and you choose to spend the $100, and then you receive the 8k gems...you absolutely have received 100% of what you paid for.

Every single buyer of gems had the numbers in front of them at the time they were deciding whether or not to spend their money. Every single buyer, 100% of them 100% of the time, made an informed decision that the value of what they would receive was worth what they were willing to spend.

$8 for a skin or $24 for a set of tools may not be fair value to you, but from the most casual of examinations of players in game it is clear that it is to others. Keep in mind that the actual real money price for those items is a range from $0 to the $8/24 you mention. The player gets to choose his real money price.

Still, you said that people were not getting what they paid for. This is factually incorrect. With the possible exception of a bug that should be reported to ANet, every single player who has ever bought gems/gem store items has gotten exactly what was listed at the price they chose to pay.

You misunderstand me because you focus on the wrong things. You get what you paid for is just a cop out to justify exorbitant pricing models. The fact that other games utilize them and people have grown accustomed to them, doesn't make them ethical.

One thing I hear more often from whales is that they know the stuff is overpriced but that they justify it as investing into the game's future. Game companies gladly let people believe that but it's bs. As I said they don't become actual investors but they do feel they are doing exactly that. That feeling I understand and that's why I understand them asking the question what happened to all the money they "invested" into the game. Understanding it I say. Please note that word but as I also said they shouldn't expect any answer because they are in fact not investors but customers. So they're screwed by their own justifications but companies gladly encourage it just the same.

@"Swagg.9236" said:The whole secretly taking people from GW2 and putting them on unnamed projects only to be found out by NCSoft and then completely absorbed into the fold?

Are you for real? "Secretly"? Well, unknown to us, but the publisher knew, of course. You can't place people in other departments, let alone open up new projects, without the people signing your paychecks knowing. The assignments for those new projects most likely came from the publisher, what do you think?

P.S. If people are interested in leaving some constructive criticism about the state of the game, you are welcome to check out this thread.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:How they spend your money is largely not our business since you get a return already for it. I totally get people thinking it helps guide the business but the reality is it is t that simple.I think that people who dropped a lot of cash on gems do have a fair reason to ask this question since the return is a lot less for them than what they put into it. But even the whales will have to realize that their investment into the game, doesn't actually make them an investor. So that should be food for thought.This isn’t an Anet or NCSoft thing either, businesses owned by others often move investments around subsidiaries. Profits from other games no doubt funded gw2 which seems to be acceptable?That's pretty much true in my opinion as well.If you are hoping for full transparency then I wouldn’t hold my breath to be honest.Agreed. That will never happen

You misunderstand me because you focus on the wrong things. You get what you paid for is just a cop out to justify exorbitant pricing models. The fact that other games utilize them and people have grown accustomed to them, doesn't make them ethical.

One thing I hear more often from whales is that they know the stuff is overpriced but that they justify it as investing into the game's future. Game companies gladly let people believe that but it's bs. As I said they don't become actual investors but they do feel they are doing exactly that. That feeling I understand and that's why I understand them asking the question what happened to all the money they "invested" into the game. Understanding it I say. Please note that word but as I also said they shouldn't expect any answer because they are in fact not investors but customers. So they're screwed by their own justifications but companies gladly encourage it just the same.

I am focusing on what you said. If that is the wrong thing then perhaps you should have said something else.

If some player deceives themselves about what they are buying it does not change the facts. A product is advertised, they chose to pay for said product, they received 100% of what they paid for.

First, Im not a fanboy. I dont like one sided assumtions about information we dont have all the data

Answering to your question, I as a player who just bought the game and have no need to pay for suscription, i dont care.

The beauty of this game is that I dont need to pay for things i really dont want. I dont want gliders, i dont want raids? I dont buy HoTs and can still play the game with no problem. Gemstore is optional and the game allow you to change gold for gems. The game dont force you pay for things you dont want.

The before point is to make clear that the biggest money revenue of the game are the expansions, remember you dont pay suscription so the speed of content outside expansion is to expected be slow.

The point about the side projects, if you dont know what those "secrets projects" were, better not make fake assumtions of what it could be and speak as if you really know what they were. Unless of cours you can tell us what it was.

Pd: Mmm are one of your character named Django? Welcome to the forum Tinfoil-hat-man, yell at people as much as you like.

Can you all take a deep breath and calm your nerves? You won't achieve anything by calling the game dead etc. Try some constructive criticism, but stop blackpainting the future of the game just yet. Yes, we all want more information, but this is not the way to get it (i.e., by creating half a dozen threads on the same topic).

@Randulf.7614 said:Maintenance mode means no new content, no devs working on the future of the game. That isn’t the case here.

People seem desp to create new threads on the same subject just to gleefully fan flames and stir things up. Who says things were secret from NCSoft after all? All I see is that projects behind the scenes were cancelled. This is not new, it’s just sections of the gw2 forum community seems to not understand this happens in companies.

So no I’m not worried about the game. I’m sympathetic towards the team of devs who put the work in and yet might lose their job.

I am sorry but WvW has been on mantainance mode for over 3 years now. I dont know if you play the mode, probably not, but yeah for the people who only play WvW like most of us in the WvW community GW2 has been on mantainance mode for years now, just syaing

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Oh look, another thread pushing a subscription idea.Guarantee atleast 50% of the playerbase would leave if ANY sub is introduced, optionally or not.You don't know the actual financials NCSoft is working with, lay-offs or not. Restructuring and laying-off unnecessary roles within companies is insanely common in many corporations, not just gaming. Does it suck for those who will be laid off, yes of course. Does the game need these particular ideas 'to stay afloat'. Nope.

Actually spoken like a person who does not have a knee jerk reaction to a "supposed" lack of financial performance from GW2, which you have neither proven nor which has been in any way indicated at currently.

Unless the cancelling of unrelated projects which were financed with income generated from GW2 to you means: GW2 was under-performing.

Kind of a weird interpretation of the currently known facts, but hey, if that's how you see things.

Companies and organizations have bottom lines. The better a company does the better everyone does, and that also translates to more stuff for all players.

and this relates to projects being cancelled and that staff layed-off unrelated to GW2 how? I mean in context to the developments in the gaming industry (highest revenues but layoffs across the board, legal actions against loot boxes and micro-transactions, etc.)?

Right, not at all. But you are using this non consequential occurances to further your own personal agenda without taking into account the history and player base of GW2.

How did Blizzard bottom-line affect their last expansion exactly? I'm not seeing a correlation between a certain amount of money X with a certain quality of content Y (after costs and a certain return are met).

@Swagger.1459 said:You should look over the public NCSOFT financial releases sometime, and come back to tell me Anet couldn’t use a boost. I’ll be waiting.

Yes, maybe we can go through those together. Last time I checked, GW2 was performing adequately with excess of millions in revenue per month and a good profit in excess of 10-20 million per year (not to shabby at around 400 employees).

Which part of the financial statement were you having issues with exactly?

@Swagger.1459 said:To the naysayers... I challenge any of you to come up with better ideas to increase revenue so the game can grow and prosper years to come. I'll be more than happy to discuss them, so let's see what y'all got!

Sure, I'll summarize it in 1 word to keep it simple: CONTENT.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

and this relates to projects being cancelled and that staff layed-off unrelated to GW2 how? I mean in context to the developments in the gaming industry (highest revenues but layoffs across the board, legal actions against loot boxes and micro-transactions, etc.)?

Right, not at all. But you are using this non consequential occurances to further your own personal agenda without taking into account the history and player base of GW2.

How did Blizzard bottom-line affect their last expansion exactly? I'm not seeing a correlation between a certain amount of money X with a certain quality of content Y (after costs and a certain return are met).

@Swagger.1459 said:You should look over the public NCSOFT financial releases sometime, and come back to tell me Anet couldn’t use a boost. I’ll be waiting.

Yes, maybe we can go through those together. Last time I checked, GW2 was performing adequately with excess of millions in revenue per month and a good profit in excess of 10-20 million per year (not to shabby at around 400 employees).

Which part of the financial statement were you having issues with exactly?

@Swagger.1459 said:To the naysayers... I challenge any of you to come up with better ideas to increase revenue so the game can grow and prosper years to come. I'll be more than happy to discuss them, so let's see what y'all got!

Sure, I'll summarize it in 1 word to keep it simple: CONTENT.

So you’re telling me that NCSOFT isn’t putting GW2 under the microscope? Are you also suggesting that NCSOFT isn’t going to ask Anet how they plan to increase sales for the future?

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:How they spend your money is largely not our business since you get a return already for it. I totally get people thinking it helps guide the business but the reality is it is t that simple.I think that people who dropped a lot of cash on gems do have a fair reason to ask this question since the return is a lot less for them than what they put into it. But even the whales will have to realize that their investment into the game, doesn't actually make them an investor. So that should be food for thought.This isn’t an Anet or NCSoft thing either, businesses owned by others often move investments around subsidiaries. Profits from other games no doubt funded gw2 which seems to be acceptable?That's pretty much true in my opinion as well.If you are hoping for full transparency then I wouldn’t hold my breath to be honest.Agreed. That will never happen

Totally not true... please elaborate how anyone has not got what they paid for and while your at it where does it state that we as players have any say as to how or where the revenue from GW2 gets spent within or across the business.When you buy a car does that mean you get to say how the manufacturer spends that money... no.Diversifying is by no means a bad thing.. standing still expecting aging products to forever maintain and sustain the business is imo.How many ideas and R&D projects do you think other businesses and industries invest in with many not even seeing the light of day... this is no different.Who knows, something might actually come from some of those failures and work within other projects in the future, which might prove advantageous to ANET and NC Soft and by extension GW2

@"Cyninja.2954"

And some of you other peeps should probably read this...

https://massivelyop.com/2019/02/21/rumor-guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-is-prepping-for-heavy-layoffs/

... The publication says it’s acquired a memo sent by NCsoft CEO Songyee Yoon in which Yoon says ArenaNet as it was wasn’t “sustainable” and that the “live game business revenue is declining as [its] franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased.”

I got an idea. How about not pulling resources from gw2 development teams to work on other projects slowing down the growth of gw. How about releasing new and fresh content on a regular bases and charge a small fee for each while keeping core gw ftp instead of skins and other usueless gem store items to cover up the lack of development. How about frequent update changes to balance,maps etc. Improving server issues like lag which effects wvw and pve. Doing all those and more will keep their playerbase as well as have a greater chance to keep the new players that are trying the core game out and in turn all those players may be more inclined to buy gems for said useless gem store items.

Archived