Scrapper

Ario.8964

@NaiveBayes.2587 said:

@"Bort.8647" said:How to fix scrapper
  1. make bulwark gyro give barrier depending on how many allies are present. So when scrappers are by themselves, they get around 1/5 the barrier.
  2. make sneak gyro smoke field visible to enemies, and if allies leave the combo field they are revealed. Also increase the cooldown to at least 60 seconds (which is the cooldown of shadow refuge)

Purge Gyro needs a better tell. The actual gyro sprite is impossible to see in the heat of battle with tons of effects everywhere. It needs a display on the scrappers status bar like Soulbeast and warrior stances so you can see "Oh I shouldn't attack right now."

I like these sets of suggested changes, I'd also reduce the duration of superspeed from shocking speed
OR
shave a bit off the base heal on rapid regeneration.

I was excited to play scrapper again because I don't really like prot Holo but I do want a bunker option as an engineer but atm scrapper feels a bit dirty to play and when I queue as an engineer I always face at least 1 scrapper but mostly 2 + another bunker build (not rare to see a whole team of bunkers) on enemy team so they can pretty much lock down all 3 caps since no one has a solution to them yet or our team rarely has a comp that can deal with so many bunkers.

It feels like I'm gimping my team by queueing as an engineer but not playing a bunker scrapper so I'll probably give the rest of the season a miss.

All the Gyros need a better tell the more I've thought about it. Like a Turret sized gyro hovering next to the Scrappy instead of the tiny, tiny impossible to see sprites in addition to the active effects on the bar like Soulbeast Stances. You know it's bad when I'm pointing to Boonbeast as a more fair counterable bunker.

Should I use poison (Lol like that would stay on) when the scrapper uses Medic Gyro or maybe wait to use my big damaging cooldown skills until after it has finished healing him? I don't know I'd never be able to see it and react. Should I avoid using damaging conditions because purge gyro is up? Again, I'll never be able to see it. Shredder, Blast, and Bulwark Gyros are the only ones that have good tells and Bulwark's tell is only good because it's hard to miss the 10k barrier stacked onto the scrapper.

And worst of all is Sneak Gyro. Previously the stealth was very high but it was always balanced by the fact that you can see the gyro and kill and CC it as well as it giving you an okay idea of where they might be. Now you can't even see the field. And it's also absurdly overtuned. As strong as it is deserves something like a four minute cooldown. It's 18 seconds of straight stealth on a 45 second cooldown. That's damn near 50% stealth up time for a skill with less than 1 second activation. And you can get even more if you leap and blast in the field. Just compare that to Mass Invisibility, a 2 second channel on a 90 second cooldown for a whopping 5 seconds of stealth. Even the toolbelt Toss Elixir S skill is a more usable Mass Invisibility on 1/3 of the cooldown with less than half the cast time. Sneak Gryo combined with Scrapper being indestructible and it's stop tier res potential makes it as bad as season 1 Chronobunker in terms of grinding games to a halt and preventing any one of any team dying. Good luck stopping a scrapper from rezing a member of their team no matter how dire.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Solori.6025 said:This is great. Watching people that complained about mirage and spellbreaker defend an obviously strong spec. Using the same excuses they were really quick to dismiss.This is a good day and fully shows off the utter hypocrisy of peoples views on balance when the class they play becomes the hated one.

Except the only thing scrapper has going for it is the sustain. :tongue:

The other thing is we've literally had three (read: three) days with the scrapper changes. If there's a counter build or a counter meta to it... it's going to take at least a week to come out. The impatience is palpable.

Ahhh yes. Finally someone using the " wait and see" excuse.

Three days. I'm not sure what part of that is difficult to comprehend.

Yes, the meta has shifted and old builds are not as viable any more. It's going to take some time for a new meta to coalesce.

I kind of agree, it is too early to fully determine whether (or how much) scrapper is OP. However, there are many hints of it becoming meta - and it seems to have the potential of becoming oppressive, but we will see.

What I wanted to add though is: It's not just number tweaks. The long lasting fields are insane, the superspeed uptime has been increased significantly with the changes to Shocking speed. And the power of an instant invisible basically perma-stealth is crazy. You can just fake-cast it in a fight and people run sides fearing you will pop out anywhere accross the map. The new Sneak Gyro is significantly stronger than the old one - which would be different if you saw the pulsing field (and reduced the stealth duration indeed).

So: Let's wait and see if it will be strong, meta or OP. But some number tweaks should happen very very quickly (sneak gyro, barrier amount, gyro durations maybe) int ehe next few weeks
if needed

Not denying that it may need tuning. Sneak gyro and bulwark gyro changed the most significantly, and it's likely those two gyros will need tweaking.

The problem is people are ridiculously quick to hop on the nerf bandwagon, despite scrapper being largely irrelevant ever since PoF launched (1.5 years). It has really limited use in PvE (and always has since HoT), it's been support in WvW, and was just insignificant in PvP. So everyone who's screaming nerf and comparing it to chronobunker needs to take a moment to evaluate why they're screaming so hard. Is it because the sustain was buffed? Is it because gyros were buffed? Or do they just not like having to deal with something they haven't noticed for a while?

I agree that chronobunker felt significantly worse so far. Scrapper has huge sustain and even team utility, but it lacks damage. And there are builds that can shut them down. I have been messing aroung with full zerker chrono and I can win 1on1s because he simply can't pressure me enough before I burst him. With less condi mirages and core guards around, this might be my choice when there are no enemy thieves.

Let's wait a week and test stuff. Then we can make proper suggestions.

@NaiveBayes.2587 said:

@"Bort.8647" said:How to fix scrapper
  1. make bulwark gyro give barrier depending on how many allies are present. So when scrappers are by themselves, they get around 1/5 the barrier.
  2. make sneak gyro smoke field visible to enemies, and if allies leave the combo field they are revealed. Also increase the cooldown to at least 60 seconds (which is the cooldown of shadow refuge)

Purge Gyro needs a better tell. The actual gyro sprite is impossible to see in the heat of battle with tons of effects everywhere. It needs a display on the scrappers status bar like Soulbeast and warrior stances so you can see "Oh I shouldn't attack right now."

I like these sets of suggested changes, I'd also reduce the duration of superspeed from shocking speed
OR
shave a bit off the base heal on rapid regeneration.

I was excited to play scrapper again because I don't really like prot Holo but I do want a bunker option as an engineer but atm scrapper feels a bit dirty to play and when I queue as an engineer I always face at least 1 scrapper but mostly 2 + another bunker build (not rare to see a whole team of bunkers) on enemy team so they can pretty much lock down all 3 caps since no one has a solution to them yet or our team rarely has a comp that can deal with so many bunkers.

It feels like I'm gimping my team by queueing as an engineer but not playing a bunker scrapper so I'll probably give the rest of the season a miss.

Yeah making the traited superspeed 3 seconds and the rapid regen value for superspeed to be 2× that of swiftness would go a long way (even let them stack as 1 of the effects can be ripped/corrupted).

• Then if we remove half of the base barrier values (since scrapper has a minor trait that increases them)
  • Give funtion gyro a UI icon like Signet of Mercy when off cooldown, share that cooldown for both ressing and stomping meaning choices has to be made
  • Adjust Sneak Gyro to pulse 5 times instead of 6, for 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds each pulse, the stealth confined to the radius of the field (plus an added combo finisher radius if you blast near the edge) and add a priority blast at the end like Blast Gyro does now. That's 13 seconds of stealth without any additional blasts, on a 45 sec cooldown.
  • While we're at it make Blast Gyro not a prioritized blast, so it can be better utilized with the other gyro fields, and instead add 1 extra might to each pulse.
  • Change Adaptive Armor to lengthen barrier uptime by 2 seconds instead, and remove the passive barrier gain to make up for the loss of sustain these changes would make. Keep the -20% condition damage.
  • Remove the waterfield on heal gyro's tool belt skill and just let it pulse PbAoE protection with an interruptable channel We can already see when kits are being used, this way you only have to look at which combo field is present to see which gyro is up.
  • Make Hammer 4 instead give a single packet of ~3k barrier only if it blocks an attack, since barrier sources would be reduced

This would make scrapper a whole lot more enjoyable to fight, and it would still be in a good place when built for it.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Solori.6025 said:This is great. Watching people that complained about mirage and spellbreaker defend an obviously strong spec. Using the same excuses they were really quick to dismiss.This is a good day and fully shows off the utter hypocrisy of peoples views on balance when the class they play becomes the hated one.

The other thing is we've literally had three (read: three) days with the scrapper changes. If there's a counter build or a counter meta to it... it's going to take at least a week to come out. The impatience is palpable.

Yes, the meta has shifted and old builds are not as viable any more. It's going to take some time for a new meta to coalesce.

I kind of agree, it is too early to fully determine whether (or how much) scrapper is OP. However, there are many hints of it becoming meta - and it seems to have the potential of becoming oppressive, but we will see.

What I wanted to add though is: It's not just number tweaks. The long lasting fields are insane, the superspeed uptime has been increased significantly with the changes to Shocking speed. And the power of an instant invisible basically perma-stealth is crazy. You can just fake-cast it in a fight and people run sides fearing you will pop out anywhere accross the map. The new Sneak Gyro is significantly stronger than the old one - which would be different if you saw the pulsing field (and reduced the stealth duration indeed).

So: Let's wait and see if it will be strong, meta or OP. But some number tweaks should happen very very quickly (sneak gyro, barrier amount, gyro durations maybe) int ehe next few weeks
if needed

Not denying that it may need tuning. Sneak gyro and bulwark gyro changed the most significantly, and it's likely those two gyros will need tweaking.

The problem is people are ridiculously quick to hop on the nerf bandwagon, despite scrapper being largely irrelevant ever since PoF launched (1.5 years). It has really limited use in PvE (and always has since HoT), it's been support in WvW, and was just insignificant in PvP. So everyone who's screaming nerf and comparing it to chronobunker needs to take a moment to evaluate why they're screaming so hard. Is it because the sustain was buffed? Is it because gyros were buffed? Or do they just not like having to deal with something they haven't noticed for a while?

I agree that chronobunker felt significantly worse so far. Scrapper has huge sustain and even team utility, but it lacks damage. And there are builds that can shut them down. I have been messing aroung with full zerker chrono and I can win 1on1s because he simply can't pressure me enough before I burst him. With less condi mirages and core guards around, this might be my choice when there are no enemy thieves.

if needed

The season ends in a week.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

if needed

if needed

The season ends in a week.

But season's a joke anyways, isn't it? Not only mid-season patches but mixing soloQ and duoQ, general balancing issues, the ominous wintrading... :tongue:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Only way to cease nerf scrapper,scrapper op threads!There's been one thread.

Revert scrapper to its prior state thru nerfs and return it to being the least played spec,done.Only way community won’t complain lol

Plenty of specs saw less use in SPvP than scrapper. Renegade, Berserker, Tempest, Druid. Scrapper gyros had functionality issues but at least 50% of the reason Scrapper saw low play is that Inventions and Alchemy have so much absurd synergy and sustain that Holosmith could have all the sustain it needed to side node competatively with Soulbeast, Mirage, Weaver and Spellbreaker while still having immense built in high damage due to Photon Forge. With defensively power crept Scrapper those trees combine to make it basically unkillable.

@felincyriac.5981 said:

@"Ruufio.1496" said:Visible stealth, great idea

Sneak Gyro was meta in heart of thorn era and yeah you could see the gyro and the field still.

people complain about full on stealth with no counterplay being unfun to play against, then their class gets stealth and they suddenly switch sides...Stealth is kitten in this game imo it's only fun for the ones with access to stealth, previous sneak gyro was one of the best implementations of stealth in this game (For both parties).

Also core necro can't kill a scrapper, at best it stalls then dies.

This is actually helpful. You should tell this to all the scrappers out there.

https://prnt.sc/mv42si

I was playing d/wh tempest vs a scrapper on a side point. After a while we were both at 100% with barriers up so we ended up just standing staring at each other for the last 4 minutes of the game. I was auto attacking him with water dagger 1, and after 5 hits he had a barrier the size of 50% of his health bar. Really fun gameplay xd

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Bort.8647 said:How to fix scrapper

Reasonable nerfs IMO

Would prefer keeping the current cooldown of sneak gyro, but reducing the number of pulses. IMO, if you want crazy long stealth from it, you should have to blast the smoke field a bunch of times. I mean, that's why it has a smoke field, right?Edit: also, the smoke field should be visible to enemies

Bulwark gyro is probably way overtuned for 1vX engagements right now. Agree with that one.

@coro.3176 said:

@Bort.8647 said:How to fix scrapper

Reasonable nerfs IMO

Would prefer keeping the current cooldown of sneak gyro, but reducing the number of pulses. IMO, if you want crazy long stealth from it, you should have to blast the smoke field a bunch of times. I mean, that's why it has a smoke field, right?Edit: also, the smoke field should be visible to enemies

Bulwark gyro is probably way overtuned for 1vX engagements right now. Agree with that one.

If it's going to have half the cooldown of Mass Invisibility it should have half the duration. If it's going to have double the duration it should have double the cooldown.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Just enjoy the meta change kitten.

We had condi meta, then power burst meta.

Now it's bunker meta.

You guys will find always something to complain about no matter what, if it wasn't scrapper it was another "mirage not nerfed, boonbeast nerfs are useless, holosmith is overtuned" yada yada yada.

People always complain when it's not their main to being busted.When their main is busted that's the most balanced spec of all game.

You already know how stupid those balances are, they always been, if you don't like the meta or pvp anymore just go to pve or somewhere else.

I prefer metas were kills actually materialize at some point in the game.

And you were probably one of those guys complaining about being busted down in few seconds by an holo.

You see a scrapper side noding 1vs2 on a node he's holding?Go to another kitten cap point and don't go 1vs3 him like a monkey to make his joke.

Rotating correctly can completely make a bunker build useless at 50%.

Of course if you play with bronze monkeys who go 1vs2 a scrapper the entirr game, he will carry and win the game.

This does not make any sense. the whole purpose of +1 is to make quick work of an enemy. If an enemy can hold 2v1 or 2v1 for a prolonged period that breaks the game. Sure, you could go somewhere else (and normally if there are 2 allies fighting 2 enemy you should not go help them). But you will be outnumbered on the other two point.

This is one of the main reasons FB and SB (to some extend soul beast) where nerfed multiple times. Why do we need to go through this excerise AGAIN. Do Anet and the player base ever learn?!

@Patrick.2987 said:

Sneak Gyro was meta in heart of thorn era and yeah you could see the gyro and the field still.

people complain about full on stealth with no counterplay being unfun to play against, then their class gets stealth and they suddenly switch sides...Stealth is kitten in this game imo it's only fun for the ones with access to stealth, previous sneak gyro was one of the best implementations of stealth in this game (For both parties).

huh is that why I see an increase in core necro's? Not complaining they are easy kills.

@otto.5684 said:

Now it's bunker meta.

You guys will find always something to complain about no matter what, if it wasn't scrapper it was another "mirage not nerfed, boonbeast nerfs are useless, holosmith is overtuned" yada yada yada.

People always complain when it's not their main to being busted.When their main is busted that's the most balanced spec of all game.

You already know how stupid those balances are, they always been, if you don't like the meta or pvp anymore just go to pve or somewhere else.

And you were probably one of those guys complaining about being busted down in few seconds by an holo.

You see a scrapper side noding 1vs2 on a node he's holding?Go to another kitten cap point and don't go 1vs3 him like a monkey to make his joke.

Of course if you play with bronze monkeys who go 1vs2 a scrapper the entirr game, he will carry and win the game.

This does not make any sense. the whole purpose of +1 is to make quick work of an enemy. If an enemy can hold 2v1 or 2v1 for a prolonged period that breaks the game. Sure, you could go somewhere else (and normally if there are 2 allies fighting 2 enemy you should not go help them). But you will be outnumbered on the other two point.

This is one of the main reasons FB and SB (to some extend soul beast) where nerfed multiple times. Why do we need to go through this excerise AGAIN. Do Anet and the player base ever learn?!

i don't know, soulbeast and spellbreaker are different, they dish out crazy damage that even kills you, and they are 1vs1 duelist, not bunkers.

Scrapper is just a side node bunker with almost zero damage in 1vs1, and it has support capabilities, dunno if it's the same.

But as you already saw... Condi meta people complained, burst meta people complained, bunker meta people are complaining, just accept the fact that the gamemode will never be balanced and there will be always overtuned specs and move on, they balance one thing and create another cancer somewhere else, it's how their balance works, it's either accept it or not.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

Now it's bunker meta.

i don't know, soulbeast and spellbreaker are different, they dish out crazy damage that even kills you, and they are 1vs1 duelist, not bunkers.

Scrapper is just a side node bunker with almost zero damage in 1vs1, and it has support capabilities, dunno if it's the same.

But as you already saw... Condi meta people complained, burst meta people complained, bunker meta people are complaining, just accept the fact that the gamemode will never be balanced and there will be always overtuned specs and move on, they balance one thing and create another cancer somewhere else, it's how their balance works, it's either accept it or not.

If a burst damage build is over powered it doesn't impact the overall flow of the game mode. You see tons of them as they become FOTM and that'll get you fed up but fighting against an overpowered build that's glassy and offensively over powered you can make a lot more plays around them. Things still happen in the match. A meta loaded with defensively overpowered builds stall out the game mode, have matches where practically nothing is dying, and it becomes really, really boring

@Patrick.2987 said:

Yep, I've been noticing more core necros and warriors in the last few days... they seem to be good counters to scrapper.

I think the biggest tweaks that need to happen are to bulwark gyro and sneak gyro, but there are some minor tweaks elsewhere that could be made:

• Bulwark's barrier is just too damn high for no investment, and not relative to your nearby teammates. If the personal barrier scaled based on the # of teammates near you, it would be better in WvW, and less stupidly tanky in PvP. It should also provide a lower base barrier but more strongly affected by healing power.
  • Sneak gyro needs a tell when it's activated (IE smoke field visible) and its cooldown lengthened. I would also shorten the duration of stealth in PvP only -- Sneak gyro has some niche uses in PvE that would be obliterated if it got weakened there.
  • I agree with Wooden Potatoes assessment that cooldowns should be increased for most of the gyros. Because the cooldown now starts as soon as the skill is activated (rather than waiting for the gyro to die like before), the cooldown should reflect that difference. The only exception I would make would be for blast gyro and shredder gyro, which are not defensively oriented.
  • I'd also like to see some changes to core engi that would help it out -- Blast gyro is fine as it is now, but it is essentially an upgraded version of the Big Ol' Bomb. Some core skills should be revisited so they aren't outright inferior.

Just played 3 matches with a scrapper on enemy team (same player) and it couldn't be beat. At one point in the last match, we were losing so we gave up and literally 4 of us fought against this one scrapper and could not beat it. We got her down to low health then suddenly right back to full. Why would anyone want to play anything else now?

Certain Necro builds and burst range dps seem to give scrapper a hard time or at least make them move off node (which is good enough for inserting your teams sidenoder). Sneak gyro needs a nerf, blast gyro was nerfed in my opinion, and shredder isn't worth getting over other choices.

They still aren't nearly as bad as fighting condi mesmer pre-patch and there are actually viable builds on multiple professions you can swap to that pressure it hard.There were already 3 high rated scrappers before patch doing 1vX quite effectively, I think it's just more accessible now. Don't get me wrong its OP and needs adjustment but you could say that about a lot of builds, people also aren't used to fighting this one yet.

As a longbow ranger main, I welcome another popular slow-moving target, especially one that does hardly any damage even if they can catch me.

I'm going to regret jumping into this, but what the hell?

1) You can't "fix" Bulwark Gyro through scaling based on teammates. The bulk of the barrier is given at onset, so if you're alone at this point and get a reduced barrier, then have your teammates sharing with you while getting spiked, you can actually end up taking more damage than mitigating it since the scrapper (not the gyro) absorbs damage on behalf of teammates now. No, this would not make it more interesting as a "risk-reward" skill, it would just be a coding nightmare that could actually break the skill (which, for the record, is apparently already bugged to treat some elements like siege equipment and fortifications as allies). A better solution might be to alter how the skill scales with something like healing power, but then my guess is most scrappers would shift to a mid-support role and people would just complain about that instead. A third alternative would just be to make the gyro a flat damage reduction across the board (akin to something like Dwarf Stance), but I fail to see how that substantially differs from the current barrier.

2) Decrying this particular scrapper build as unfair while you have other professions capable of running similar setups (e.g., weaver, scourge, etc.) is strangely inconsistent. Note, I am not saying that they are the same, but they are relevantly similar with regard to what I assume is the core of the complaint, namely sustainability. For example, yes, scrapper has more mitigation options than, say, scourge, but scourge has much more offensive utility and should be able to do things like force a player (even a scrapper) off point if played decently. Weaver, on the other hand, has a lower health pool, but access to a greater variety of skills to alter the nature of a given engagement. There are also other sorts of bunker/bruiser builds that don't rely on tools like barrier (FB immediately comes to mind), but hopefully the point has been made.

3) Despite what some folks seem to believe, scrapper actually has fairly limited mobility options. Unless the scrapper is willing to waste a Rocket Leap, it isn't going to be traveling between nodes particularly quickly. Super speed is still slower than teleport skills. This means their primary utility will either be sitting on a side node or supporting at mid; seldom (if ever) will they be able to easily transition between roles (contrast with the old chrono bunker or druids). As noted, there are already plenty of other builds that can stall on side nodes; if on mid, bait the Bulwark Gyro (it only lasts five seconds) and then either try to spike the team down with coordinated AoE (they have to be near the scrapper to get the barrier and damage reduction) or pick off weaker opponents out of support range.

4) While the scrapper is hard to kill, (a) this has always been the case, and (b) there are solid checks to it. Stalemating with something like a warrior or revenant ensures that the scrapper will have skills on cool-down regularly. At that point, you should be able to +1 the fight and de- or full-cap the node as the scrapper retreats/recovers (power mirage and several thief builds get particular shout-outs here due to their utility and mobility). Scourges are also helpful here, as their area-denial limits the scrapper's options in avoiding condition damage and boon corruption, but they are a slower option in terms of movement speed.

5) This doesn't apply to everyone in this thread, but my guess is that it applies to many: your problem isn't actually with scrapper, it's with the way you can stack a team to have multiple bunkers/supports.

Warrior, Rev, Core necro > scrapper.

Issue is Core Necro isn't meta for competitive games due to scourge still being overall better. Best solution if going against a scrapper is to counter pick as a warrior and make sure your team gives you the node fully cap before he or she comes to your node.

Rev as a +1 has been the best thing to the solution as well I seen a shitload of scrapper including myself not be able to handle a rev burst. They just simply can not withstand a + that has any high spike damges. If it was Condi then that's a different story but Rev is the ideal solution for a + against scrapper currently, thief can work as well but rev does a much better burst all around to get the job done faster.

Scrapper busted as fuck and that's a NO brainier however it isn't as bad as Condi mirage months ago. You cant really kill shit on scrapper that has a brain lol. Auto attacks are slow as fuck, clunky as hell sometimes and 2 skills on hammer are defensive skills so you are also limited on any spike damage with hammer. You can play around it for sure but this entire gyro shit needs to be tweak down a bit lol it shuts down Condi specs so hard lmfao and it isn't even fair at all For example. If you are going again Condi mirage (2x) and 1x necro just Run Mender amulet with rune of toughness and you wont see that scrapper dying to condi at all.

P1 is full of scrappers, left and right, enemies and allies, more often than not the team with the fewer of them loses.

On the bright side, at least now we have 1-2 supports per team, I have been playing glass-cannon damage staff tempest these past few days and surviving necros/mesmers left and right thanks to scrappers, so I do have to thank them for that:

(my ele games) https://imgur.com/mLM9lkI(my rank as of today) https://imgur.com/fBhyMyb

On the not so bright side of this, most of my loses were because we had fewer or no scrappers in our team. It feels like my luck depends on how many scrappers matchmaking wants to give me, and I refuse to be the scrapper: https://imgur.com/hVLc2TY

I reckon P1-P2 will now be populated by soulbeasts scrappers until we get the next patch 4-5 months from now.