[Spoilers] Terrible story

@McPero.3287 said:

@MMOStein.3872 said:The point was
she never actually died,
that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon,
it's the end of the beginning.
Death nothing to be afraid of Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Also she ate Joko, what the heck did people actually expect????? This isn't Death Note, not every story has to have some super uber mega plot twist that makes you question your own existence, nor does every story needs to be that convoluted to be good writing. Sometimes people go overboard with speculation when the answer is literally right in front of you. Stop overthinking things. If you want some mind-shattering plot, go read a book, watch a film, or play SP games.

Just because it is a MMO doesn't means bad story telling is acceptable. No reason to encourage mediocrity. They have so far been putting most of their effort into Living Story Episodes, that is why WvW and PvP and such a bad state. I expect at least story to be good if that is their main focus.

Oh and I expected Joko to rip out of Aurenes stomack, since he is immortal and even if cut into pieces he reforms back into full state.

EXACTLY!

If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko
who pretty much invented that magic!?

Sorry, but what? Joko's body is immortal because of his magic. Dragon eats magic, absorbs that power. Why is her bodily damage too much to revive from? You said it yourself. If Aurene was cut into pieces she would come back from that too.

Well Joko should stay alive inside of Aurene in the first place so she can't really absorb his magic can she? So he would probably make his way out of her body, killing her in the process.

How would he stay alive? His body and magic were SEPARATED. That's the moment where he actually and truly has died.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko who pretty much invented that magic!?

He was absorbed, physically. You can't piece digested flesh back together. (Why am I suddenly having a South Park flashback? Ah, the poo...) Also, he did not have dragon magic in him to enhance any of his own magic.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko

He was absorbed, physically. You can't piece digested flesh back together. (Why am I suddenly having a South Park flashback? Ah, the poo...) Also, he did not have dragon magic in him to enhance any of his own magic.

Well when Joko gets mortally stabbed for example he pieces his wound together kinda like wolverine. I bet people tried to cut him into million pieces or burn him, but since it didn't work they had to imprison him for a few hundred years. So I don't see why getting eaten would kill him when burning doesn't.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@MMOStein.3872 said:The point was
she never actually died,
that's why they didn't drag out her death waiting for some Ex machina to bring her back.Death to mortals like the commander is a big deal, because it seems like the end. But to a dragon,
it's the end of the beginning.
Death nothing to be afraid of Aurene And Kralk literally say this in the final instance.

Also she ate Joko, what the heck did people actually expect????? This isn't Death Note, not every story has to have some super uber mega plot twist that makes you question your own existence, nor does every story needs to be that convoluted to be good writing. Sometimes people go overboard with speculation when the answer is literally right in front of you. Stop overthinking things. If you want some mind-shattering plot, go read a book, watch a film, or play SP games.

Just because it is a MMO doesn't means bad story telling is acceptable. No reason to encourage mediocrity. They have so far been putting most of their effort into Living Story Episodes, that is why WvW and PvP and such a bad state. I expect at least story to be good if that is their main focus.

Oh and I expected Joko to rip out of Aurenes stomack, since he is immortal and even if cut into pieces he reforms back into full state.

EXACTLY!

If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko

Sorry, but what? Joko's body is immortal because of his magic. Dragon eats magic, absorbs that power. Why is her bodily damage too much to revive from? You said it yourself. If Aurene was cut into pieces she would come back from that too.

Well Joko should stay alive inside of Aurene in the first place so she can't really absorb his magic can she? So he would probably make his way out of her body, killing her in the process.

How would he stay alive? His body and magic were SEPARATED. That's the moment where he actually and truly has died.

Don't think you were in Aurenes tummy when Joko was being eaten to see magic being separated. You can't say 'oh I know it happened like that because that is what happens in the story' when we are talking about what makes the most sense to happen when Aurene eats Joko.

@Skynet.7201 said:I'm not a big story person, to be perfectly honest, but to me, this episode was amazing. I loved it.

As far as the immediate resurrection, I disagree. I feel that the gap between episodes gave plenty of time to warrant this to happen.

Still, nobody should care anymore what happens to the characters, it's like Game of Thrones. And that series I stopped watching after season 3 or so, and seeing all the mocking about the current season, I don't regret it at all. I made a joke out of the story part before the last one by not listening to or reading any dialogue. The whole quest system is made for 8 year olds who can barely read the instructions. I just looked at the instructions on the top right part of the screen and did what it said. I had no clue if we already killed Kralkatorrik or not before today's episode, but I didn't care either.

Look, I know story writing is hard, and I don't expect top notch from a game. But people have already joked on reddit about how this episode will go weeks ago, and it was exactly how predicted. It's a shame.

It was painfully obvious that Aurene was going to be resurrected, and was probably killed in the first place because someone had I Am Legend playing in the background and thought killing our dog would be a good tearjerker.Except now there's no gravitas in the story because anyone more important than Taimi's love-bot is covered in plot armor.

@"McPero.3287" said:It was an option they had, but does that mean they have to go with it?

Actually it does otherwise it would have undermined multiple things which have been previously established. If what happened surprised you in any way shape or form then that's on you for not paying attention to the story.

You know what would have been bad writing at this point? Keeping her dead just so they can preserve the "emotional impact" from the end of episode 5. I'm not a fan of bringing characters back "just cause" but there has been more than enough setup for this to the point where her not having this ability wouldn't have made any sense.

Some of us already stated that Aurene didn't eat Joko's physical body, she was consuming his magic but not a lot of people believed that. Guess this serves as proof that people don't pay enough attention to the lore of the game...

As for the actual event regarding Aurene's resurrection. Definitely too quick in my opinion. There should have been a moment before all this where we actually were put in a position where we had to help her come back, not just jump straight into her getting full revive. I mean I genuinely wouldn't have minded a mission or two in Thunderhead Keep where we actually gather some Volatile Magic so that we can use it to fully free Aurene from the Brand Spike as well as feed it to her so she can get better. That would have been more interesting in my opinion. Because we see a glimmer of hope that she can come back, and then we gather what we can to get her back.

The rest of the story works out well for me.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"McPero.3287" said:It was an option they had, but does that mean they have to go with it?

Actually it does otherwise it would have undermined multiple things which have been previously established. If what happened surprised you in any way shape or form then that's on you for not paying attention to the story.

You know that would have been bad writing at this point? Keeping her dead just so they can preserve the "emotional impact" from the end of episode 5. I'm not a fan of bringing characters back "just cause" but there has been more than enough setup for this to the point where her not having this ability wouldn't have made any sense.

Like I said to me her eating an immortal Lich meaning she absorbs his power and becomes immortal herself doesn't makes sense. Joko shouldn't die in the first place. 'You can't kill Joko but you can eat him.' was a pretty cheap way of dealing with him.

@McPero.3287 said:

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:If Joko's magic brought her back from THAT kind of damage all fine, then where the kitten is Joko

Well when Joko gets mortally stabbed for example he pieces his wound together kinda like wolverine. I bet people tried to cut him into million pieces or burn him, but since it didn't work they had to imprison him for a few hundred years. So I don't see why getting eaten would kill him when burning doesn't.
  1. People aren't dragons.
  2. I doubt that he was ever burned or cut into pieces in his undead form, but that's open to speculations.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Sounds disappointing. All that talk of "character death" only to bring her back the nexr episode lul.

thought it was pretty obvious with eating jako.

Still, its kinda funny how it all happened for 1 episode.

Barely even that. 2 mins and "oh yeah Joko" and that was it off we went with no further care or interest. Don't worry because the dialogue in the final instance tops it for dodginess.

I loved the map, but I don't think I've hated a story sequence more in the LW and considering it is up against Kourna and the previous episode, I am amazed how much I despised it.

Suddenly throwing in the humanising of an Eldritch, unfathomable creature is fan fiction - this is not writing reflective of a professional writing team in my eyes.

Eldritch? The only elder dragon we saw of trully being evil was mordy (and even the idk if it was pure evil or madness) and eds arent good or evil they just are.

The concept of all the different aspects of magic warring and tearing kralk apart was a nice touch imo and added to an otherwise characterless "villain".

As for dropped the ball, idk it has a better map than ep3 and equally if not better story than ep3 imo.

@zealex.9410 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Sounds disappointing. All that talk of "character death" only to bring her back the nexr episode lul.

Barely even that. 2 mins and "oh yeah Joko" and that was it off we went with no further care or interest. Don't worry because the dialogue in the final instance tops it for dodginess.

I loved the map, but I don't think I've hated a story sequence more in the LW and considering it is up against Kourna and the previous episode, I am amazed how much I despised it.

Suddenly throwing in the humanising of an Eldritch, unfathomable creature is fan fiction - this is not writing reflective of a professional writing team in my eyes.

Eldritch? The only elder dragon we saw of trully being evil was mordy (and even the idk if it was pure evil or madness) and eds arent good or evil they just are.

The concept of all the different aspects of magic warring and tearing kralk apart was a nice touch imo and added to an otherwise characterless "villain".

As for dropped the ball, idk it has a better map than ep3 and equally if not better story than ep3 imo.

Eldritch isnt about being truly evil. It is about something so alien, weird and unearthly, that we cannot comprehend it. Even though we knew Kralks mind from Snaff, suddenly it is showing mortal levels of conflict and compassion with no prior set up for this.

Im not wholly against the idea of the EDs given more character, but if the entire point was for us to suddenly think differently or feel compassion towards something that had destroyed friends and vast swathes of civilisation, this wasn't the way to do it.

But yes, a great map at least

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I saw it coming a mile away. And... it was disappointing to say the least. The story step existed just to fool people who don't realize that eating Joko gave her resurrection powers.

Everyone noticed that. It still does not make sense and is super cheap storytelling.Dragons eat magic all the time. Can you do photosynthesis when you eat vegetables? Maybe so, but I doubt it. Dragons digest magic and make it their very own. Otherwise, all the dragons would be running around having all kinds of magic from whatever they ate.

Sure, Joko was an exceptional lich. But compared to the levels of gods and elder dragons? Not really anything special, I would think.

I don't even want to think about the implications for future lore theories that we have to consider because that nonsense is now canon.

And it's not like the lich magic was the only option to get Aurene back. It was just the simplest, apparently. What a shame.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Eldritch isnt about being truly evil. It is about something so alien, weird and unearthly, that we cannot comprehend it. Even though we knew Kralks mind from Snaff, suddenly it is showing mortal levels of conflict and compassion with no prior set up for this.

Im not wholly against the idea of the EDs given more character, but if the entire point was for us to suddenly think differently or feel compassion towards something that had destroyed friends and vast swathes of civilisation, this wasn't the way to do it.

But yes, a great map at least

I still dont see them as veing eldritch. Prob just me but we largely understand how elder dragons worked and how core they are to the planet.

As for the later point, i think they went for shock factor else this wouldnt feel the same. I believe the goal was to make this alot more gray.

Tho the whole idea behind the dragons talking, sentience etc isnt new.

the only part i didnt like is when kralky spoke. The massive strange dragon god thing shouldnt be making sounds we can understand so easily (unless it's mordo who kinda needs that to be the mind dragon) imo, even though he did absorb all kindsa magic and has a chance of being capable to speak like that.

@Fenella.2634 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I saw it coming a mile away. And... it was disappointing to say the least. The story step existed just to fool people who don't realize that eating Joko gave her resurrection powers.

Everyone noticed that. It still does not make sense and is super cheap storytelling.Dragons eat magic all the time. Can you do photosynthesis when you eat vegetables? Maybe so, but I doubt it. Dragons digest magic and make it their very own. Otherwise, all the dragons would be running around having all kinds of magic from whatever they ate.

Sure, Joko was an exceptional lich. But compared to the levels of gods and elder dragons? Not really anything special, I would think.

I don't even want to think about the implications for future lore theories that we have to consider because that nonsense is now canon.

And it's not like the lich magic was the only option to get Aurene back. It was just the simplest, apparently. What a shame.

Dragons eat random magical artifacts or laylines and turn that magic into their own facet. But dragons usually eat rather slowly over time and certainly not as much as kralk consumed over the laat couple of years.

We arent talking about yor avrrage magical artifact or leylines, this is the pure ed and god magics tied to teir domain of power over magic.

And elder dragon (seemingly from this episode) struggles to deal with such quantities of magic of a different type.

We saw them run around with one another's power after their magic started mixing up (becayse the commander went on a kill streak in a short time span).

I dont mind the use of joko's power to resurect her i think it makes sense and is completely acceptable. I just think it was rather fast.