LW5 and new expansion.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:How is this poll even possible to answer? No one knows what season 5 holds yet, do they?

Or did I miss the reveal??

Expansion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other content

But why??

In the end a studio creates content and releases it in some sort of bundle (e.g. living world release or expansion). There are two factors important in this.1: Price of the bundle.2: amount of content within.

looking at the cummulative of season 4, I see more content then in e.g. HoT and it was all released for free. You might argue that some content was missing (new guildhalls, elite specs, new mechs like mounts and kiting), but there has been a massive change of direction at arenanet with massive lay offs and focus back to GW2 instead of side projects. After this the game lead promised us that the living world teams are allowed to work on more then just traditional living world releases as we are used to. So the content of the upcomming packages are unknown and we will likely not know about it for atleast 3-4 releases. So I am carefull to judge it just by the label on it and want to wait for the actual content.

This is not even remotely true. Any HoT map is at least 2-3 times bigger than any map in LWS4 content wise. Not to mention the reliability. And overall, HoT and LWS3 were bigger and better than PoF and LWS4 in every conceivable way except story, and I personally preferred HoT and LWS3 over PoF and LWS4.

And the primary reason for expansion is elites >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> insert PvE number of maps. This is the primary reason why expansions keep players busy for month. Not couple of new maps.

There is a remote possibility (note here the word remote) that the new mastery is going to be accessing a specific class skill on a different class. Now this would be huge content wise.

As for cost, surely free beats everything. But most of the good things are not free. As a working professional with more than a decade of experience, I am not that price sensitive, but I understand that majority of the player base are not in the same boat. Though $20-30 for expansion surely beats limited map and story content.

I really wanted and expected an expansion. The positives are manyfold: media coverage, expectations from players (ie FF14 released the 3rd expansion in shorter time and it got overwhelming reviews). Also you usually get huge landmasses and new features in one go. And until now most of the 'content' was bloated collection and time gated grind which is really not what people want.

@otto.5684 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:How is this poll even possible to answer? No one knows what season 5 holds yet, do they?

But why??

In the end a studio creates content and releases it in some sort of bundle (e.g. living world release or expansion). There are two factors important in this.1: Price of the bundle.2: amount of content within.

looking at the cummulative of season 4, I see more content then in e.g. HoT and it was all released for free. You might argue that some content was missing (new guildhalls, elite specs, new mechs like mounts and kiting), but there has been a massive change of direction at arenanet with massive lay offs and focus back to GW2 instead of side projects. After this the game lead promised us that the living world teams are allowed to work on more then just traditional living world releases as we are used to. So the content of the upcomming packages are unknown and we will likely not know about it for atleast 3-4 releases. So I am carefull to judge it just by the label on it and want to wait for the actual content.

This is not even remotely true. Any HoT map is at least 2-3 times bigger than any map in LWS4 content wise. Not to mention the reliability. And overall, HoT and LWS3 were bigger and better than PoF and LWS4 in every conceivable way except story, and I personally preferred HoT and LWS3 over PoF and LWS4.

And the primary reason for expansion is elites >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> insert PvE number of maps. This is the primary reason why expansions keep players busy for month. Not couple of new maps.

There is a remote possibility (note here the word remote) that the new mastery is going to be accessing a specific class skill on a different class. Now this would be huge content wise.

As for cost, surely free beats everything. But most of the good things are not free. As a working professional with more than a decade of experience, I am not that price sensitive, but I understand that majority of the player base are not in the same boat.
Though $20-30 for expansion surely beats limited map and story content.

Not in the eyes of ANet. For 20-30 euro they can sell new mount skin that comes with the new LWS map.

For me a proper expansion means new features, feature extensions and feature overhauls, aka something like new Elite Specs, Guild System Reworks, WvW Reworks, Core rebalance and skill overhauls, entirely new features like Mounts, Gliding etc., as well as content dumps, like 10 new Fractals, 1-3 new Raids and an entire cohesive Story to play though at once. Something that properly revitalizes the game.The Story content is a just little bonus part in that to test the new tools in and have some short term fun exploring.

Considering that's almost all LW has provided so far, excluding some minor feature extensions like additions to the mount feature, just more LW isn't keeping me interested.But we will see what they have in store for Season 5 I suppose (or rather, what's not just in the store).

At this point I just want a decent amount new proper (endgame) content, not more collections and pressing F without meaningful challenge or any new character based tools to play with.

@Omernon.9762 said:

But why??

As for cost, surely free beats everything. But most of the good things are not free. As a working professional with more than a decade of experience, I am not that price sensitive, but I understand that majority of the player base are not in the same boat.

Not in the eyes of ANet. For 20-30 euro they can sell new mount skin that comes with the new LWS map.

Exactly. Unfortunately MTX robbed developers of the motivation to develop content anymore, considering a handful of people can make a single skin that can be sold in unlimited quantity for almost the same price as an entire expansion, including hundreds of new models, voice lines, writing, world building, new creative features and what have you, done by hundreds of people over the course of much more time, and people will buy it.

@Tanith.5264 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I guess another month and we will find out more in a preview

Seeing that. And wondering: Are we to place any significance on the slightly altered shift in the LW logo's color?

Asking for a friend.

;)

Prob not. There's a few colours in there - blue, red, a touch of green. There's no Dragon logo, so it appears to confirm their recent statement about trying to briefly move away from Dragons/World ending threats.

It could indicate the remaining dragons (blue for Jormag, red for Primordus, sea green for Bubbles) and the colours swarm a globe, but it could equally be just striking colours. I totally expect a lot of Jormag/Primordus speculation coming up though for the next few weeks

Hope that helps your friend

@Omernon.9762 said:

But why??

I think more ppl woupd spend that money in a season's worth of content than one mount.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:The picture in the email sent shows a snowy scene; perhaps, that's some kind of clue.

Good spot. Hadn't looked at the email

Me either. Will do so now.

Edit: Mine hasn't arrived yet. Hmm.

Well, until I hear otherwise, I'm going with my pet theory that we're storming the Domain of Winds. Let's see them Tengu, Anet!

:D

Honestly, I'd be okay with living world forever if episodes were more frequent (2-2,5-ish months). HOWEVER, MMO players are obviously obsessed with expansions (see all the hype ESO and FFXIV got). Expansions are a huge selling point and GW2 definitely should release one for the sake of the game's future.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:The picture in the email sent shows a snowy scene; perhaps, that's some kind of clue.

There is an email? Didnt get any, maybe its na only lol

I’m not NA. Emails don’t go out together though

It’s pretty cool though - there’s snow and Tengu and Cantha and build templates and sea dragon tentacles and all sorts

For clarity, I’m probably joking

@Randulf.7614 said:

It’s pretty cool though - there’s snow and Tengu and Cantha and build templates and sea dragon tentacles and all sorts

Lol. Way to create hype!

@Randulf.7614 said:

Deliberate misinformation is not nice.