Gw2 Cataclism Idea

I don't like this idea because it will mean no new players get to experience the world the way it was before or that new players will be locked in old dead maps with no population until they reach a certain point in the story and get moved to the new ones.

I don't mind reworking older content to make it more engaging, have better rewards, etc. But I stand firmly against anything that would remove old content or drastically change the world in a way that makes it so that new people feel like they have missed out on something that was there before.

Considering how much of a plot point the gods leaving is, i doubt theyd come back. On top of that im a huge no for the complete changing of maps in such a drastic way their original version is gone for good(Like LS1 did.) I still miss Old Lions Arch from the games launch and i love the missions that have you go there.

The gods are gone, they wont come back. Thats how it is now. Reworking old maps wasn't massively well received in the past and it is a bit annoying for story consistensy. Not only for new players, but for me it actually bothers me a little when running a new character. And thats only in Lions Arch... if it was half the Tyrian continent? Yeeah

The best thing they could do is go the poe2 road. Do massive engine upgrades to lighting, animations, models, everything to give the game a much more modern look, go and apply those changes to the old areas and content, huge balance passes to old classes and specs and the release of a new row of specs as well as a massive campaign.

Title it gw3, make it a 40 dollar expansion and bam.

@zealex.9410 said:The best thing they could do is go the poe2 road. Do massive engine upgrades to lighting, animations, models, everything to give the game a much more modern look, go and apply those changes to the old areas and content, huge balance passes to old classes and specs and the release of a new row of specs as well as a massive campaign.

I Agree with you on that. The difference in textures, lights, models is very noticeable between POF and Core tyria. HoT to Core as well. But if you want really true proof of that in a minor way Ranger pets. Core pets look -terrible- compared to their HoT and PoF Counter parts. Armor and weapon sets look lower resolution and less detailed than the newer ones.

I wouldnt mind having a patch that did nothing but redo all the textures of Core -everything-

Even paid.

@zealex.9410 said:The best thing they could do is go the poe2 road. Do massive engine upgrades to lighting, animations, models, everything to give the game a much more modern look, go and apply those changes to the old areas and content, huge balance passes to old classes and specs and the release of a new row of specs as well as a massive campaign.

Is it possible to do an engine upgrade and push it out but only have some people see it and not others? Even if possible, with the way this game is set up wouldn’t that be like having 2 builds running simultaneously? When that happens now (when a new build comes out) people on the old build can’t see or play with people on the new build. They have to log out and update the game.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Is it possible to do an engine upgrade and push it out but only have some people see it and not others? Even if possible, with the way this game is set up wouldn’t that be like having 2 builds running simultaneously? When that happens now (when a new build comes out) people on the old build can’t see or play with people on the new build. They have to log out and update the game.

Everyone would be able to see the difference it wouldnt be locked from anyone. The idea of a cataclysm brings its own pros and cons but the way poe is doing it hence why im suggesting it doesnt really split the game that way.

Regardless, yes you would lose the ability to play the older content if they went ahead with a cataclysm like reset (tho nothing is ever lost in the internet) but wether thats ok or not depends on what this cataclysm replaces the game with. I think ff14 players can attest that arr was ultimately too good for the game, even if it lost 1.0 content in the process.

@zealex.9410 said:

Everyone would be able to see the difference it wouldnt be locked from anyone
. The idea of a cataclysm brings its own pros and cons but the way poe is doing it hence why im suggesting it doesnt really split the game that way.

Regardless, yes you would lose the ability to play the older content if they went ahead with a cataclysm like reset (tho nothing is ever lost in the internet) but wether thats ok or not depends on what this cataclysm replaces the game with. I think ff14 players can attest that arr was ultimately too good for the game, even if it lost 1.0 content in the process.

“ Do massive engine upgrades to lighting, animations, models, everything to give the game a much more modern look”“Title it gw3, make it a 40 dollar expansion and bam.“The engine upgrade wouldn’t be locked from anyone? Even the people who don’t pay the $40?

Edit: I guess you’re talking about “release of a new row of specs as well as a massive campaign.”Which would be nice. imo an engine overhaul and balance pass and new specs and a massive, new campaign is rather ambitious for a company that takes a couple of months for one map. lol

@"LordMorgul.9845" said:to reneuve the game i just minded that when primordus finally wake up (becouse yes he will^^) , he will be so pissed off to wipe and burn half of tyria more than kralkatorik did ^^ this will bring the rework of the world, new lion arc, the return of the gods, ecc ecc ^^ what did u think about it?

I think big shifts in lore and the environment are better suited to new games. My reason is, you will create a longing in players for "how things used to be". World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is a good example, afterward nothing was the same and players blamed many negative gameplay changes on "after cataclysm".

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Everyone would be able to see the difference it wouldnt be locked from anyone
. The idea of a cataclysm brings its own pros and cons but the way poe is doing it hence why im suggesting it doesnt really split the game that way.

“ Do massive engine upgrades to lighting, animations, models, everything to give the game a much more modern look”“Title it gw3, make it a 40 dollar expansion and bam.“The engine upgrade wouldn’t be locked from anyone? Even the people who don’t pay the $40?

You would basically charge for any new features such as the specs as well as the campaign, the baseline engine updates would be a free update alongside it.

Edit: I guess you’re talking about “release of a new row of specs as well as a massive campaign.”Which would be nice. imo an engine overhaul and balance pass and new specs and a massive, new campaign is rather ambitious for a company that takes a couple of months for one map. lol

Never said they would take less than a year, or two, or three for it. Just saying that such update for the game is vital longterm if we arent looking at a sequel to do that (or dont want one).

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@"LordMorgul.9845" said:to reneuve the game i just minded that when primordus finally wake up (becouse yes he will^^) , he will be so pissed off to wipe and burn half of tyria more than kralkatorik did ^^ this will bring the rework of the world, new lion arc, the return of the gods, ecc ecc ^^ what did u think about it?

I think big shifts in lore and the environment are better suited to new games. My reason is, you will create a longing in players for "how things used to be". World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is a good example, afterward nothing was the same and players blamed many negative gameplay changes on "after cataclysm".

problem with Cataclysm was that most of the content was made for New Players and low levels since vet characters would have no reason to go back to experience low level content. In GW2, low level zones are still useful to max level player characters unlike it was in WoW when Cata hit.

Low levels most of the time dont stay playing a MMO past level 20, so all those resources that was used to reboot the old maps went to waste and took away from the max level early content.

We dont have the problem, as stated already, since all level zones in GW2 are useful. So new low level maps would also be new max level maps.

While I'd love a core map update, I don't see that happening. waaaay too much work. If they plan on using older maps for new content. The could update a few at a time though.Still, newer maps don't always look better. I think the last map of the progie looks a lot like the core game ones, and maps from hot or pof are much better looking.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I kinda wished they would just invest in the engine.Set aside a team to write a new engine for the game. Should be doable in a year.That would improve the game on so many levels

People already whine about no new content and that the game is dead just between LS chapters and you want to put things on hold for a year?

I kinda wished they would just invest in the engine.Set aside a team to write a new engine for the game. Should be doable in a year.That would improve the game on so many levels

apologies, I hadn't made the important part part of my original comment extremely obvious. fixed now

to add, I heard NC Soft just invested a good few millions in NC West, but that will most likely go to mobile games and other kitten

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I kinda wished they would just invest in the engine.Set aside a team to write a new engine for the game. Should be doable in a year.That would improve the game on so many levels

People already whine about no new content and that the game is dead just between LS chapters and you want to put things on hold for a year?

I kinda wished they would just invest in the engine.
Set aside a team to write a new engine for the game.
Should be doable in a year.That would improve the game on so many levels

apologies, I hadn't made the important part part of my original comment extremely obvious. fixed now

to add, I heard NC Soft just invested a good few millions in NC West, but that will most likely go to mobile games and other
kitten

From which team would you set aside resources? I agree that upgrading the engine would be a great improvement, but I don't know from where they would pull a team to do it and not damage the perception that the players already have that they cannot produce content.

WoW philosophy is a lot like the old content matters very little in the future, and the main reason is leveling system and addition of new lvl cap every expansion. So they can do big changes in the world, Because the live in the moment, not planning to make something accessible forever with no changes.

It kinda changes, but there will never be a storyline that will tell: repair the Deathwing's damage on Azeroth, in GW2 we have it everytime.