Achievement Points Cap?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:To be honest, they should just remove AP from dailies, as well as retroactively, and then balance the rewards around that. AP has become so watered down because of the dailies.

What about rewards from AP people have already gained? How would that work? Would they have to gain that many AP again before they restart the reward track?

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:To be honest, they should just remove AP from dailies, as well as retroactively, and then balance the rewards around that. AP has become so watered down because of the dailies.

What about rewards from AP people have already gained? How would that work? Would they have to gain that many AP again before they restart the reward track?

Depends on how they're reworked but I'd say that they wouldn't earn the rewards a second time. Those who relied heavily on daily AP will have more work cut out for them than those who did not.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Depends on how they're reworked but I'd say that they wouldn't earn the rewards a second time. Those who relied heavily on daily AP will have more work cut out for them than those who did not.

So you’re saying remove AP progress from all accounts that have any daily AP and make them regain that progress before they can get rewarded again. That should provoke an interesting reaction from players who don’t read the forums or blogs and log in one day to find out progress has been deleted.

Since we have a cap, there is no reason to remove AP from dailies and mess up the system. Just see dailies as a giant 15k AP pool and be done with it

If I recall correctly, I hit the 15k AP cap around 1.5-2 years ago. My stance before was that the cap is fine, my stance after and even after this significant time has not changed.

15k from dailies is a LOT of time spent on dailies (over 4 years). If this game is in any way supposed to attract and encourage new players to even try to stick with the game, some achieve-able goal must remain in all aspects.

What most players I believe lack when they want more AP from dailies is available achievements to work towards. So the answer or solution to mitigate or deal with players who are unhappy they hit the AP cap is to provide other achievements that they can work towards, which in turn means regular significant content releases with interesting and enjoyable achievements to work towards.

That said, very little achievements in this game come close to the ease of acquiring 10 AP for near no work. That will not be fixable for players who are at the AP cap.

@aspirine.6852 said:It's a bit of discrimination against the oldest players.Which is quite ironic, because it wasn't done with new players in mind. It was done solely because a very, very small number of players at the top of AP leaderboards kept complaining that they still have to keep putting effort in doing dailies to retain their leading position.

There is still the 2 gold from the daily. Usually easy stuff you earn by just playnig the game normally - if you play certain game modes. (Well ... mainly PvP where you just play a few matches and if you aren't unlucky to get only losses it is easy to get the 2 gold.)

Might not be enough for people that farm gold more efficiently at other places. But still a nice thing and even the farmers might do the dailies. Especially when ther eis the mystic forge one that gives 1 coin.

The AP cap here is good. Without it older players would get too far ahead while always staying ahead of new players. With a cap the new players can reach this as well eventually. Then doing the permanent achievements. By just playing a lot you can catch up.

It is also an incentive to do the permanent achievements. I guess ArenaNet just does not want to give out the high AP level skins to just everyone that only does dailies. They still want you to do permanent achievements.

Also remember: That stuff is called "achievements". Do you really think gathering 10 ore and visiting a vista (you visited probably thousands of times) is worth to be called "achievement"? No. The cap is the correct thing. Actually these things aren't really achievements. Just ArenaNet graciously decided to call them achievements and to give away a huge sum of AP just for doing them. They would not have needed to do so.

They could just have the permanent achievements + all the rewards at halfe the "price" (AP needed for chest). Might have been better. (And gold only for the dailies.) But you can't change this retrospectively now.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:It's a bit of discrimination against the oldest players.Which is quite ironic, because it wasn't done with new players in mind. It was done solely because a very, very small number of players at the top of AP leaderboards kept complaining that they still have to keep putting effort in doing dailies to retain their leading position.

I wonder how many of those people still play

I suggested that many times: the AP cap for dailies could be increased something each year (like 100~300 AP). So older players still can get some extra AP over the years, and new players can still reach the cap at some point. In order to speed up it for new players, it could be included for them a weekly or monthly extra AP.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Well to stay on top they have to play new content every 2ish months right?

@Linken.6345 said:

Well to stay on top they have to play new content every 2ish months right?

Well yes, but I meant those who orignally complained - whether they still play. I don't really monitor the leaderboards to see if the same names are there year on year

I think it should be simple and shouldnt be capped. I think fair for all sounds like everyone getting the same access to the same AP. People who grinded AP when it was easier to get dont deserve a special spot at all. Also everyone should have to continue to compete to stay on top of things like ap because its a game. That is the nature of games. I would love some rewards to motivate me to do dailies.

@Moradorin.6217 said:I think it should be simple and shouldnt be capped. I think fair for all sounds like everyone getting the same access to the same AP. People who grinded AP when it was easier to get dont deserve a special spot at all. Also everyone should have to continue to compete to stay on top of things like ap because its a game. That is the nature of games. I would love some rewards to motivate me to do dailies.

They compete by doing all of the achievements in the game and not by who can get ported to the end of a JP every day.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:I think it should be simple and shouldnt be capped. I think fair for all sounds like everyone getting the same access to the same AP. People who grinded AP when it was easier to get dont deserve a special spot at all. Also everyone should have to continue to compete to stay on top of things like ap because its a game. That is the nature of games. I would love some rewards to motivate me to do dailies.

They compete by doing all of the achievements in the game and not by who can get ported to the end of a JP every day.

I don't think it makes any sense to remove a large motive for people doing daily content to please people who dont actually login daily and like play...

Anyone who actually does everything as you say would also to the daily 10 ap. Sothat seems like a bullshit reason. It seeems more like that just lets people do less to compete which, at that point, sounds allot like cheating.

In other words, people you speak of would still be ahead in what ever competition for ap they feel they are in if they actually play and do everything and are active. If they only login once in a while when things like festivals are around they will fall behind as they should. I dont care who has the most ap, but I like getting progression from the dailies to get new chests and stuff once in a while. It gives me things to look forward to. It seems to remove a good motivation to cap ap at 15k. Furthermore, it seems to encourage some unhealthy ways of looking at ap.

@Moradorin.6217 said:I don't think it makes any sense to remove a large motive for people doing daily content to please people who dont actually login daily and like play...

What's stopping those who login daily to finish the other achievements available in the game? Why give a motive for players that login once a day for 5 minutes (all it needs to get the 10 daily AP nowadays) and demotivate the players that play for hours in a day to earn the other, much harder to acquire achievements?Daily content is 5 minutes a day. Collections, legendary weapons, story achievements take much more time every day.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

I don't think it makes any sense to remove a large motive for people doing daily content to please people who dont actually login daily and like play...

My reasoning wasn't to appease players who don't login or like to play. It was about making AP mean something beyond who can get a port every day to the end of a JP or to run to the easiest rich node.

Anyone who actually does everything as you say would also to the daily 10 ap. Sothat seems like a kitten reason. It seeems more like that just lets people do less to compete which, at that point, sounds allot like cheating.

The daily 10 AP is requires players to do substantially less to "compete" so having that in a sense is cheating as well as trying to increase the cap in order to make it easier. One of the reasons that players use for the cap to be increased is to make it easier for them to compete. The other reason is that they simply want it to be easier to obtain the AP armor skins and don't want to put in the effort to do the other achievements which players who earned those skins have already completed.

In other words, people you speak of would still be ahead in what ever competition for ap they feel they are in if they actually play and do everything and are active. If they only login once in a while when things like festivals are around they will fall behind as they should. I dont care who has the most ap, but I like getting progression from the dailies to get new chests and stuff once in a while. It gives me things to look forward to. It seems to remove a good motivation to cap ap at 15k. Furthermore, it seems to encourage some unhealthy ways of looking at ap.

Along with removing daily AP, all of the AP tied to unavailable achievements should be removed as well. This way those who actually care to compete are on even ground as every AP is obtainable. It'll be an actual achievement system.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Along with removing daily AP, all of the AP tied to unavailable achievements should be removed as well. This way those who actually care to compete are on even ground as every AP is obtainable. It'll be an actual achievement system.

Given how they never removed achievement points even when they replaced an achievement with another one (remember Drakkar?) it's quite likely that they do not want to mess with achievement point totals in any way. Probably due to the problems it would create with rewards. The better option for unavailable achievements is to provide a new way of acquiring them. An increase of the daily AP limit up to the amount of unavailable AP is one such proposal that appears often on the forums.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:I don't think it makes any sense to remove a large motive for people doing daily content to please people who dont actually login daily and like play...

What's stopping those who login daily to finish the other achievements available in the game?Nothing. They
can
do the other achievements. So what? It's not like doing dailies when they still gave AP prevented them from doing those other things as well.

Also, notice how those players that asked for a cap are on top of leaderboards due to having access to APs that are not available anymore. As such, with the cap, they can feel completely safe as long as they won't stop playing (at which point they will probably not care anymore anyway). Keeping their position doesn't require that much of an effort for them - and as such, the only way the top results can change is when someone eventually drops out of the game.

Both things together make it so the old veterans can retain their advantage while at the same time putting in far less effort than those chasing them.

Why give a motive for players that login once a day for 5 minutes (all it needs to get the 10 daily AP nowadays) and demotivate the players that play for hours in a day to earn the other, much harder to acquire achievements?Why would it demotivate others? People that would do dailies only would always remain behind those that would do the dailies and other content. It's not exclusively one or the other.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Along with removing daily AP, all of the AP tied to unavailable achievements should be removed as well. This way those who actually care to compete are on even ground as every AP is obtainable. It'll be an actual achievement system.

Given how they never removed achievement points even when they replaced an achievement with another one (remember Drakkar?) it's quite likely that they do not want to mess with achievement point totals in any way. Probably due to the problems it would create with rewards. The better option for unavailable achievements is to provide a new way of acquiring them. An increase of the daily AP limit up to the amount of unavailable AP is one such proposal that appears often on the forums.

Yeah. I'm saying the daily AP and such should be removed knowing full well that it will very likely never ever ever happen. Increasing the AP cap for dailies by the amount of unavailable AP would apply to everyone including those who already have some or all of that AP. So as far as the "competition" argument goes, this would have zero impact. Raising the cap would have zero impact as everyone, including those high up, would have equal access to obtaining that AP. This is why I believe that the entire reason that people want the daily AP cap to be increased is because they want the AP armor skins but don't want to do the achievements to earn them. Why spend all the effort to grind out achievements like others did when one can simply request the daily AP cap to be increased so that you can spend a few minutes every day getting an easy 10 AP.