Would you like a report response/action notification?

Report response/action notification yeyy or nayy  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be notified if the report you submitted has been judged and executed?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care coz I don't use report function

Think if you reported someone for inappropriate behavior, verbal abuse,... And you get a notification that your report been judged and executed... Won't that give you a sense of trust in the game and the community it's shaping up?

Exclusions can be botting, hacking, scripting, afk botting and stuff.. coz those are judged and executed in waves and not individually

League of legends sends you notification popups whenever an action is taken upon your submitted report... Hope anet uses a similar system if it's viable at this point... Now don't cry that development resource needs to be alloted somewhere else coz I'm not demanding anything... Genuine good people in this game sometimes lose hope and leave the game but if any such above said system exists, the community will be even stronger and the game cultivates a positive environment

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

If it's just an automatic thing that ticks off once a dev has opened/reviewed the report, then sure. Primarily, it would just be for peace of mind. It wouldn't be indicative of actions taken or problems resolved and it wouldn't really be an improvement to the system so much as just a placebo, but I can't see it being a negative addition.

You'll never get a specialized feature that tells you when an action got taken as result of your report - ArenaNet explicitly does not discuss its disciplinary actions with players - but you might be able to get notified that a report was at least acknowledged.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

So you want to feel giddy getting a mail that your reporting did something?

Imagine you were going to a supermarket and on the way back, you were beaten to the curb and your money shopped items stolen... Now you go report it to the authorities (and the same authorities doesn't want you to retaliate or taking matters into your own hands) after reporting, you will hesitate to go to the supermarket unless some kind of notification from the authorities that a positive action been taken to put you in peace of mind (response from authorities could be 1.they captured 2.they posted a sentry in the route to avoid future incidents) if you didn't get any affirmation for your safety, you won't go outside. Put your imagination to use here.

Same might happen to a player base leaving if they feel nothing changed even after reporting... Or if the perp is sighted again doing the same stuff allover again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

If it's just an automatic thing that ticks off once a dev has opened/reviewed the report, then sure. Primarily, it would just be for peace of mind. It wouldn't be indicative of actions taken or problems resolved and it wouldn't really be an improvement to the system so much as just a placebo, but I can't see it being a negative addition.

You'll never get a specialized feature that tells you when an action got taken as result of your report - ArenaNet explicitly does not discuss its disciplinary actions with players - but you might be able to get notified that a report was at least acknowledged.

This is my thinking too. They could maybe send a notification to say your report has been reviewed, but it wouldn't actually change anything.

I don't think they could, or should, send a detailed message letting you know what was done because that's just opening it up for people to argue with the punishment and then customer support ends up wasting a lot of time dealing with people who want to tell them how to do their jobs instead of being able to get on and do it.

But I suppose if it makes some people feel better to get that reassurance that someone is paying attention to them it couldn't hurt.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Think if you reported someone for inappropriate behavior, verbal abuse,... And you get a notification that your report been judged and executed... Won't that give you a sense of trust in the game and the community it's shaping up?

No. I would feel sorry for my report. I'd also start thinking what was wrong with it to warrant it being judged and executed (instead of, say, only serving a jail time).

But more seriously - it's Anet official policy that they don't discuss the actions being taken with players. So, the best you could hope for would be a confirmation that the report has been read.

20 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. I would feel sorry for my report. I'd also start thinking what was wrong with it to warrant it being judged and executed (instead of, say, only serving a jail time).

But more seriously - it's Anet official policy that they don't discuss the actions being taken with players. So, the best you could hope for would be a confirmation that the report has been read.

Idk why so many ppl in this thread infer that I ask for "what actions being taken against reported person".. I just ask for a notification that my report didn't go to trashcan and atleast they're aware of the situation and something's been done.

They could do anything like :

1) increment the naughty counter of the player being reported

2) send warn mail

3) give them a timeout

4) whatever blah blah blah

I don't care what actions being taken coz judge's perspective based on the whole game world is different from mine I get that.

that's why also listed an example how league of legends maintain it... They don't tell the players what actions being taken(except that a penalty is issued that's it nothing else)... But then again ppl mighty not be aware of league of legends.. It's my own fault for listing that system as an example

Note: pls don't cling to the word "penalty"

• Like 1

By my own experience, the in-game report function does nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. If you want something actually being looked into, you need to submit a Support Ticket with screenshots and additional information (time of the incident, name of the pet/guild etc, translation into English of required). Otherwise nothing will happen.

As Support Tickets always receive a response, you don't need an additional notification. And it actually gets done.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

I voted no, cause I think it would mostly frustate people using the report function. The expectation of an answer could also make more difficult for “the reporters” to stop thinking about it and move with their life (often “the reporter” tends to be “overly attached”).

Too many people report others thinking they are seeing bots or afk farmers, even if they are not.
About Verbal abuse and some other behaviour instead, in the policy you can read that the behaviour history of the offender also count, so we can expect our report to not always lead to an action against the reported account.

ArenaNet is the one with “the ability” and “the right” to decide what action to take and if there is any action to take, the player is not. I am not saying anyone wrote the opposite.

Edited by Black Storm.6974
Spelling

51 minutes ago, Black Storm.6974 said:

I voted no, cause I think it would mostly frustate people using the report function.

idk.. ppl use the report function their own way.. I wont dance around tyria reporting every timmyy tommy , jimmy johnny, polly wolly I see to get overwhelmed by the report response and get frustrated.. at the maximum I report 1 to 2 over the span of six months or a year or 0 reports....

my point is...

1) will I get the same bad experience/feeling/negative atmosphere whenever I see them again or hoping not to see them again whenever I enter an instanced content when they could be using a different character toon with the same kitty behavior

2) will I get a peace of mind knowing that crime will be punished or atleast be monitored under watchful eyes and i can get some confidence to play the game I love most

Why would I post such a thread if I don't love this game? I would be done with already and leave the game never minding how ppl behave in this game if I don't care about the game and the good community of ppl. This could seem like my only voice.. but u can weigh me as 7 out of 10 in the tolerance level of the toxic behavior among ppl in the internet.. how about ppl who are 5 and less out of 10 and they love this game and stuff like this make them hesitant to play the game that they love... gw2 dont have that much marketing like other games out there to get new ppl.. it's concerns/discussions like these voiced in the forums hoping we could retain those ppl who love the game might have a better chance at not let this game die silently in the background

1 hour ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

idk.. ppl use the report function their own way.. I wont dance around tyria reporting every timmyy tommy , jimmy johnny, polly wolly I see to get overwhelmed by the report response and get frustrated.. at the maximum I report 1 to 2 over the span of six months or a year or 0 reports....

my point is...

1) will I get the same bad experience/feeling/negative atmosphere whenever I see them again or hoping not to see them again whenever I enter an instanced content when they could be using a different character toon with the same kitty behavior

2) will I get a peace of mind knowing that crime will be punished or atleast be monitored under watchful eyes and i can get some confidence to play the game I love most

Why would I post such a thread if I don't love this game? I would be done with already and leave the game never minding how ppl behave in this game if I don't care about the game and the good community of ppl. This could seem like my only voice.. but u can weigh me as 7 out of 10 in the tolerance level of the toxic behavior among ppl in the internet.. how about ppl who are 5 and less out of 10 and they love this game and stuff like this make them hesitant to play the game that they love... gw2 dont have that much marketing like other games out there to get new ppl.. it's concerns/discussions like these voiced in the forums hoping we could retain those ppl who love the game might have a better chance at not let this game die silently in the background

I wasn’t talking about you

Seems completely unneeded. I don't know how well or how often reports "do anything", but I know for a fact that they do work in general.

Getting those notifications doesn't serve any real valuable purpose other than pretty much feeding someone's ego.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Seems completely unneeded. I don't know how well or how often reports "do anything", but I know for a fact that they do work in general.

Getting those notifications doesn't serve any real valuable purpose other than pretty much feeding someone's ego.

I mean, none of us would ever get those notifications anyways because Anet doesn't take action against an account. Just look at PvP and WvW. Toxic folks galore in PvP and hackers love to flaunt their stuff in WvW because there's no repercussion.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

I mean, none of us would ever get those notifications anyways because Anet doesn't take action against an account.

False. Might be less than needed, but they do take actions

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

League of Legends does this. It lets you know that your reporting does work. However, that is a competitive game where cheating is defined a thousand different ways. It can get out of hand.

FF14 also openly shows numbers of account bans of hackers and cheaters because they care about their image that much.

I'd prefer it if monthly numbers were published about infractions (e.g. action taken about X name infractions, Y botting, and Z hacking) rather than it being personal since unless you report  a dozen people daily, it wouldn't be hard to tell who was investigated and what punishment they had given you could just add them to your friend list and see if they're online or not. You can actually do that now so a notification of any sort would just make it easier.

And honestly? I'm just not that invested in the minutia. Granted I don't PvP but if I'm reporting something in-game, I'm not going to be invested in the outcome and lose sleep over it. When I report something via the support website, that's when I care about something and that does tell you when it's submitted and you sometimes get follow-up emails from GMs. They won't tell you what action has been taken, if any, but it's a human interaction that implies it's been looked into.

I get where the thought and desire comes from. People want validation for effort, and not hearing anything back can lead to a sense of futility.

On the flip side, getting any confirmation can in turn lead to undesirable motivation. There would be potentially players who would get their kicks out of getting others actioned and looking forward to the confirmations.

Another issue would be if reported accounts were not actioned (no matter if right or wrong), this might lead to players who are sure the other party should have been penalized getting demoralized.

16 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Now, where did this come from? What kind of mentality/mindset a person should have to make such a statement? 

If someone got attacked, his mind will be filled with either retaliation or terror ... Some will feel the need to retaliate... and the otherSome expect the attacker be not present the next time the victim tries to be in the same place at the same time... Since this is a game who knows what costume the hyena wears next time and under what name does it show up?

So based on your post, if you always feel that a person is more inclined towards retaliation/feeding ego, you consider this as a duel between two ppl and not as a behavior that degrades this community... Sir, I'm starting to think you are one of those ppl that spreads toxicity

• Confused 1

Usually how you can tell if  your report goes through is if the comment(s) you reported are no longer in the thread. I get where you're coming from though but don't personally think they'll do it because of X amount of reasons others have mentioned. However, ever since this "new" forum came back online, I see the toxicity is still thriving with certain players so...I'm awaiting action on a few comments on recent threads...🙄

If you're talking "in-game," I don't see the point. You can choose to interact with players if you want to or not.

I don't have a thin skin when it comes to people trying to insulting me in the forums. Trolls are what they are and I normally don't let much get to me. 

Whether someone gets their hand slapped for something in the forums makes no difference to me and less if I know when, how it was dealt with, or the penalty.

5 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Now, where did this come from? What kind of mentality/mindset a person should have to make such a statement? 

Why do you think it's about "mentality/mindset of a person that makes such a statement" instead of just "experience from other games that offer similar mechanic"?

Play -for example- League long enough and you'll get literal trolls trying to provoke you -mostly on alts- just to spam reports at you and if they get the pop-up about action they'll pm you just to flame even more. And that did happen to me when NO action was taken against me, which pretty obviously means people like that consistently try to pull kitten like this, got pop-up from one of their earlier reports and then... thought it was an action against me.
Think about that whatever you want, that pop-up has no positive value other than letting you know reports work and we know they do. Pretty much any other "value" they might offer is not a positive one. Not only that, but a lot of the times the bans come in waves, so it still won't tell you who and why got punished. If the action is taken immediately, it just lets you learn the system and while that might not be a valuable information for you or me, it IS a valuable information for people that try to abuse it, including the potential 3rd party programs users.

If someone got attacked, his mind will be filled with either retaliation or terror ... Some will feel the need to retaliate... and the otherSome expect the attacker be not present the next time the victim tries to be in the same place at the same time... Since this is a game who knows what costume the hyena wears next time and under what name does it show up?

...what?

Like attacked in chat? Or is this just some kind of irrelevant hypothetical?

So based on your post, if you always feel that a person is more inclined towards retaliation/feeding ego, you consider this as a duel between two ppl and not as a behavior that degrades this community... Sir, I'm starting to think you are one of those ppl that spreads toxicity

For real, is this even an answer to what I wrote? You might not like the fact that some people will try to abuse the system, but it won't make those people suddenly not abuse the system if you let them easier gather the information to do that. Not only that, but maybe instead of writing whatever you wrote above (because I really don't understand tbh), you should explain what value exactly those pop-ups have. Other than letting people know that "reports in general work", which we already had proofs of.

• Confused 1

I want to know purely for the sake of knowing that Arenanet does anything with the report function at all which doesn't seem to be the case outside of automatic moderating (regarding slurs mostly)

But reports regarding character names, people botting/afk farming, and trolling behaviour during gameplay? I don't actually believe they actually do anything at all with those..

Being notified they did something with my report would result in me getting more faith in arenanet which they honestly need after the disaster that was icebrood saga..

27 minutes ago, MauChann.3081 said:

But reports regarding character names, people botting/afk farming, and trolling behaviour during gameplay? I don't actually believe they actually do anything at all with those..

Being notified they did something with my report would result in me getting more faith in arenanet which they honestly need after the disaster that was icebrood saga..

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/n3k9vh/i_just_saw_live_how_a_bunch_of_afkfarmersbotters/

Here, now you know there is action taken, so now there's no actual purpose for those pop-ups for you I guess. Right?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1