Leechers in Dragonstorm [Merged]

Lenny.1462

2 hours ago, KingMario.9748 said:

Defending Leeching in Dragonstorm is now not very good. 

I have multiple screenshots of the exact same 10+ accounts that join this meta just to afk it. 

Most of these people have the same clan tag, and just do this consistently. We had almost 15+ afks in one instance. That one took so kitten long. 
This meta needed a activity mechanic or participation mechanic. It would not be hard and the people who actually join and work on the meta would have a MUCH EASIER time to beat it because they are joining to participate and not AFK FARM .
These people are quite literally botting. Should be instance kickable and bannable for a week.

I’m not defending them. 

Remove the default rewards and make them based on participation. Problem fixed without harming innocent players who could be targeted as AFK by the crystal community.

At this point is pretty clear Anet directly or indirectly allows AFKing, either that or the players are not truly AFK, in the literal sense of the term, and they can prove being "not AFK" when a mod whispers them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

At this point is pretty clear Anet directly or indirectly allows AFKing, either that or the players are not truly AFK, in the literal sense of the term, and they can prove being "not AFK" when a mod whispers them.

Just look at all open world maps, Istan, Domanin of Kourna, Iron Marches, Blazeridge Steppes...

There are hundreds of afk farmers on those maps and they are 99% afk the whole time and don't respond.

They never get banned.

Anet DOES NOT CARE about afk farm or leechers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Remove the default rewards and make them based on participation. Problem fixed without harming innocent players who could be targeted as AFK by the crystal community.

The rewards are already based on participation. Just sitting in the instance while being AFK the entire time isn’t going to gain them any rewards. 

12 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

The rewards are already based on participation. Just sitting in the instance while being AFK the entire time isn’t going to gain them any rewards. 

They can do one event and done for the rest of the meta. Or just do the last one. I know because I did it to get the Stormcaller collection, just doing one event, be the last or the first one and that's it.

Just now, Telgum.6071 said:

They can do one event and done for the rest of the meta. Or just do the last one. I know because I did it to get the Stormcaller collection, just doing one event, be the last or the first one and that's it.

Which is very different from what you said. I believe it’s the final event which gives credit and none of the others.  There have been people that participated, missed that final event somehow, and did not get credit. 

57 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Which is very different from what you said. I believe it’s the final event which gives credit and none of the others.  There have been people that participated, missed that final event somehow, and did not get credit. 

That's not true or at least it wasn't back in the day when I used to do it. I never missed the reward no matter what event I did.

51 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

That's not true or at least it wasn't back in the day when I used to do it. I never missed the reward no matter what event I did.

This was also my observation when it released as I wouldn’t get credit if I didn’t participate in the final event despite participating in all of the others. 

2 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

This was also my observation when it released as I wouldn’t get credit if I didn’t participate in the final event despite participating in all of the others. 

That is only for the achievement you still get full loot regardless if you tick up that achiv mate.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

That is only for the achievement you still get full loot regardless if you tick up that achiv mate.

You’re right. I mixed up the needing the final event with the achievement which requires it. 

It’s been verified that doing no events gives no loot at least. So those AFK players are not truly AFK or at least not the entire time. 

Going back to some reasons people have why some choose to AFK, I disagree that the lack of meaningful rewards is one of them. People are going to AFK one way or another regardless of rewards. The chest could give 10 mystic coins and you would still have people who AFK. It’d probably be worse as it’s incentivize more people to multi box and bring their alts. 

The event being a chore, even without the supposed impact of AFK players, is also an issue. The developers have a bad habit of making everything a chore. You then have attacks coming from all over the place as well as a ton of CC thrown at you. I’m not speaking about just this event. It just creates something which is annoying to do. 

The only way to combat people who choose to not participate, except to do just enough to get credit, is difficult to resolve. You run the risk of harming innocent players with potential solutions if you make a PvE wide change. You can do a case by case basis but that would end up taking up more developer time. 

Expect to see a thread like this in a few weeks once we reach DRMs in the return to LS. 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:38 AM, mythical.6315 said:

And how would that MM system work?  What kind of metrics would it track?

Damage that's the true afk/leecher killer because bosses are mobile or even if they hit only dragons they remain far behind then who manages to keep up that low damage for multiple games they go and be matched with other afk-ers and most probable play the game or lose the event.

59 minutes ago, Katastroff.1045 said:

Just divide the event in 4 parts and adjust the final reward according to the participation.

1-First burn on either Bhram or Ryland.
2- Hit either dragons.

3-Second burn on either Bhram or Ryland.

4-Hit again on the dragons.

Problem solved.

So hit braham 5 times afk at crystal, see the bop the dragons are up fly up bop once, hit either boss 5 times and back to afk.

Rince and repeat, it just take a minsucle more effort but still not solved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

So hit braham 5 times afk at crystal, see the bop the dragons are up fly up bop once, hit either boss 5 times and back to afk.

Rince and repeat, it just take a minsucle more effort but still not solved.

Make it Gold participation in all 4 for eligibility for the infusion. Split the 2 gold reward the same way.

Make it harder so that if 3-4 people are AFK (literally doing nothing) the event fails and no one get's loot. May suck for some, but leeching can only happen because there is enough slack for it to happen. The event is not scaling properly to require everyone to pull their own weight. This isn't an open world event, it is an instance with a cap and scaling calculation. Technology is already implemented in game to control for this. 

The event simply is not designed well enough to require a coordinated group of people to really bust their buns. Make failure a higher possiblity.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Normally I wouldn't complain about this kind of thing as it's pretty common to see people AFK the other world bosses, and generally in Open World they don't cause too many issues. Dragonstorm is different and I really hope it gets looked at again sometime. A participation bar similar to the HoT night events would go a long way here, in my opinion..

Typically AFK'ers in the first few filled maps for Dragonstorm at reset aren't a problem at all, as there's plenty of people in the instance pulling their weight and it gets completed fine, but I've been in situations a few times now where I've joined a Public Dragonstorm and ended up in an instance with 30+ people AFK'ing at the chopper or the edge of the map and only 5 of us pulling our weight. In that situation a chill boss encounter that usually takes 15 minutes, turns into a 40 minute slog where the 5 or 6 active players in the map have to fight the scaled up encounter alone while the others AFK and still get the same rewards.

It doesn't feel great and more often than not I'd rather just leave the encounter entirely and apologise to the others pulling their weight, than struggle for 40 minutes just to reward those scaling up the instance for doing nothing. I only do the event at reset now because I can guarentee it will be filled, which isn't a problem in my case, but a lot of players won't be able to stay up that late and will instead be playing it during hours where the likelyhood of ending up in a shard with only 5 or 6 active players and 30+ afk'ers is more common.

It's a real shame and I hope it's something that can be looked into at some point! The event as it stands causes a lot of conflict between players (you only have to join an active public Dragonstorm map to see the arguing in map chat between AFK'ers and the people doing the boss) Which just doesn't feel great, especially in a game which generally has a very co-operative, helpful and friendly community.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Make it harder so that if 3-4 people are AFK (literally doing nothing) the event fails and no one get's loot. May suck for some, but leeching can only happen because there is enough slack for it to happen. The event is not scaling properly to require everyone to pull their own weight. This isn't an open world event, it is an instance with a cap and scaling calculation. Technology is already implemented in game to control for this. 

The event simply is not designed well enough to require a coordinated group of people to really bust their buns. Make failure a higher possiblity.

Great. So instead of leechers who slow things down, we'll get griefers that purposely fail the instance to troll other players. Some solution.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Great. So instead of leechers who slow things down, we'll get griefers that purposely fail the instance to troll other players. Some solution.

Yeah, that is a possibility if people really want it to be their initiative to get 3-4 of their friends just to mess with people.

20 hours ago, Gwylen.3462 said:

I'd rather just leave the encounter entirely and apologise to the others pulling their weight, than struggle for 40 minutes just to reward those scaling up the instance for doing nothing.

This is probably really the only solution in this event's current state. I'll probably do that from now on as well.

1 hour ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

I was in an instance that actually failed. Let that sink in.

Which may or may not have been because of leechers. 

The variations of time it takes that people are experiencing could very be due to the time of day that they do the meta as well as the variations between player skill and the classes/builds that they bring. 

Edited by mythical.6315