Seasonal Pass Idea for Gw2

Hi guys, in this post I would like to talk about the way that we player could support ArenaNet more so they could release more contents and expansion in the future. So, here is my idea: 

I believe Gw2 needs a Seasonal Reward/ Pass where players can purchase it with $15- $30 every season (3 months). The pass can only be purchased with real life money, then players can work for the rewards, if someone want to boost the progression they can use gems to skip a tier (200 - 300 gems per tier). This seasonal pass system can help reviving some dead or old contents in Gw2 such as running Dungeon, Dead or very low population living world story map, world bosses, meta train from some dead maps such as Verdant Brink, Dragon Stands etc. It could also help reviving the price of the items in the Trading Post, some items in-game is actually worth nothing. 

Some rewards from the Seasonal Pass should be limited during the season and when the season ends, Anet can use them and re-sell it in the cash shop with a reasonable price (from 400 - 800 gems depend on which items). Whoever finish all the reward tier from the seasonal pass can get a 5%-10% discount for the next seasonal pass. There should not be a pay 2 win item within the Seasonal Pass, the pass should only provide cosmetics and some convenience item such as bank slot, inventory slot etc. 

The  reason I want Gw2 to have this is because the game is basically pay 2 play and it is pretty cheap to be honest. Plus, the game has a plan to go on Steam and it would be great if they have something exclusive every 3 months to gain more players. Anet has done a great job however, new expac every 3-4 years is a long time and I know they are lack of income sources and low budget. I love Gw2 and I would love to see it continuing  to grow with more players and more expac. 

Let's me know your idea below and thank you for reading this. 

FYI: English is not my main language so please be patient with my English and grammar. 

Thank you 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

21 minutes ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

This has been discussed multiple times over the years, there is no need to make the same DLC, if you want to support the game just swipe your credit card for gems and buy BLC keys and gamble them away

I bought about 5000 Gems every 2-3 months just to support the game but only a small amount of number do the same thing. If they give us things like seasonal pass and the only way to purchase with real life $ then it would make a big different. 
Swiping credit card wont help reviving contents that have been dead for years such as dungeons, the way I am trying to do is to make people go back to play some old content

28 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

I bought about 5000 Gems every 2-3 months just to support the game but only a small amount of number do the same thing. If they give us things like seasonal pass and the only way to purchase with real life $ then it would make a big different. 
Swiping credit card wont help reviving contents that have been dead for years such as dungeons, the way I am trying to do is to make people go back to play some old content

If that's to revive old contents, the best way to do that would be some world boss rush or meta event rush that include more things like those in lws3/4, just make some other rushes like dungeon rush or lws3 rush or something like that. This way, all players can take place, card swiping or not.

I don't think asking players to spend money and then grind those old contents for some rewards is a good idea.

• Like 4

This game needs new playable content not some shiny skins from the gemstore. 

1 hour ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

This seasonal pass system can help reviving some dead or old contents in Gw2 such as running Dungeon, Dead or very low population living world story map, world bosses, meta train from some dead maps such as Verdant Brink, Dragon Stands etc.

In what way? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Dungeons are dead because Anet nerfed the liquid gold reward at the start of Heart of Thorns, players are always chasing for the best ROI.

all you need to lookis at Silver Waste, thanks to Tonic of Icebrood Corruption, SW RIBA is even more profitable because it is the map that gives the most Pile of Silky Sand

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

In what way? 

Well there are plenty of ways. 
1. If you want to gain point to reach the reward tier you should run Citadel of Flame path 1 2 3 or something like that
2. To receive the point you need to loot an item from this boss from this dungeon 
3. To receive the point you need to combine an item from this dungeon and that dungeon 

20 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

People always ask for more content more expac but where is the budget ? Without Gemstore the game was probably dead years ago with Buy 2 Play system. People always want something for themselves but they do not want to give things away. Who does not like new contents but who will give them money if the game has no gemstore and no sub system? Will you invest million of dollars for them? I guess not

Edited by Frozenize.9603
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Well there are plenty of ways. 
1. If you want to gain point to reach the reward tier you should run Citadel of Flame path 1 2 3 or something like that
2. To receive the point you need to loot an item from this boss from this dungeon 
3. To receive the point you need to combine an item from this dungeon and that dungeon 

So pay for increased rewards in content type of your choosing kind of thing?

This game was founded on the idea of comparable rewards. From the get go, ArenaNet tried to set up content and game modes so that you could choose the content you want to play, rather than being led along by some carrots on a stick.

There are no exclusive rewards you get from only doing specific dailies or other time-limited content. If you look closely, you'll find that even stuff like festival rewards and season 1 rewards have made their way back into the game through a variety of ways, allowing everyone a chance to get it. Daily rewards are also set up in a way that missing or out-right ignoring them doesn't have much impact on your game in the long run.

There is no bonus for buying gems in bulk, or time-limited gem discounts, like may other games have. They have done a pretty good job at keeping the feeling that the time you invest into the game, as well as the real life money you invest into the game, always has a similar value. They have mostly kept away from offering "bargains" that are aimed at encouraging people to pay more than they feel appropriate.

Personally it is one of the main reasons why this game is my main mmo in today's market. I pay for the things I want, whenever it suits me, instead of always having the gnawing feeling that I'm left behind because I don't pay for this or that, or getting short-changed because I don't pay during a specific sale, or that I should play more than my real life permits to get the most out of whatever I paid.

A season pass may look like a great way to get people to pay more for (often less) content. It's a kind of marketing psychology that this game has stayed further away from than most other games out there, and I for one sincerely hope that they will stick to the way they've followed so far and not implement (more) monetizetion schemes that aim at making people pay and play more than they really want to.

• Like 6

I thought a season pass was just paying up front for DLC that isn't yet released? You buy a 3 month or 6 month or whatever season pass and then you get all the DLC released in that time (maybe at a slight discount vs buying it on release) and just have to hope it's stuff you want and will use.

This sounds like a more complicated version of the Supply Drop Requisitions Anet have offered sometimes. You pay one price for a bundle of gem store items which is then delivered to you over time, and the earlier you buy it the less you pay. But you didn't need to do anything else to get the items and I don't think any of them were exclusive. The big advantage of that over the season passes I know of is we were told what would be in the bundle in advance so players could work out if it was worth getting for them. There were some unknowns; for example when the 8th anniversary supply drop was first sold we didn't know which mount skins were in the Bizarre Beasts pack or what they looked like, but you could at least work out from past packs whether you'd be likely to want another mount skin.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

I wouldn't use a season pass to revive old content and then allow players to pay to skip that old content. It is strange enough that we're getting free story content in a B2P game. Would be strange if we had to pay to go back to that content that we may have got for free in a B2P game, only to then turn around and pay them again to not to do that content. It would've been easier to monetize the content in the first place than to stutter around an initial payment.

They're actually getting ready to have us go back through Living World content soon with some rewards. The achievement system is pretty useful for that kind of stuff.

5 hours ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

People always ask for more content more expac but where is the budget ? Without Gemstore the game was probably dead years ago with Buy 2 Play system. People always want something for themselves but they do not want to give things away. Who does not like new contents but who will give them money if the game has no gemstore and no sub system? Will you invest million of dollars for them? I guess not

The budget comes from the sales of the expansions and the gemstore. It's obviously working well enough to fund the upcoming expansion. 

Why are you taking about "if there is no gemstore?" There is a gemstore. There has always been a gemstore and so long as the game is running there always will be a gemstore. 

• Like 1

God no. Battle/Season Passes are a HORRIBLE design feature that ends up destroying games long-term. They deserve to be sent to the pits of hell alongside lootboxes (or in this game -- Black Lion Chests).

Edited by Bristingr.5034
Adding in "Season" as that's an alternative name to "Battle Pass"
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

No, Guild Wars 2 doesn’t need a seasonal pass. This is a terrible idea just like a monthly subscription. 

Then how can people support Anet then? Buying Gems is not enough and it actually has been proved so far. 3-4 years for a new expansion is just too sad compare to other big MMORPG - WoW, FFXIV, ESO, BDO provide new expansion every 1.5 - 2 years routine. Living World Story cannot be count as new expansion to be honest, it is just a bunches of story with new currency and new map with some new achievement. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

God no. Battle/Season Passes are a HORRIBLE design feature that ends up destroying games long-term. They deserve to be sent to the pits of hell alongside lootboxes (or in this game -- Black Lion Chests).

I do not think so, look at popular games with those system. They actually generate more income and provide more solid contents because of those who bought the seasonal passes. 

15 hours ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

I smell Pay 2 Win 🐶

Where is the pay 2 win ? Where is the winning ? The game has no gear progression, PvP is not gear related, WvW is Zerg vs Zerg - 1 man cant fight 50 other men. How can you possibly see the p2w figure in Gw2? you must be high. My idea is for people to have an option to skip some reward tier if they are busy with work or family business. The Season Pass only provide some extra things with some exclusive skins within the season and then those skins are going to the Black Lion Market after the season ends. 

4 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

I do not think so, look at popular games with those system. They actually generate more income and provide more solid contents because of those who bought the seasonal passes. 

I said long-term. The Seasonal Pass system is designed to try and keep users playing for as long as possible, which causes burnout and people putting down the game forever. MMORPGs are already designed to do this at a much slower scale. A season pass cranks it up to 11.

Edited by Bristingr.5034