Seasonal Pass Idea for Gw2

4 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Then how can people support Anet then? Buying Gems is not enough and it actually has been proved so far. 3-4 years for a new expansion is just too sad compare to other big MMORPG - WoW, FFXIV, ESO, BDO provide new expansion every 1.5 - 2 years routine. Living World Story cannot be count as new expansion to be honest, it is just a bunches of story with new currency and new map with some new achievement. 

By that logic none of the Elder Scrolls Online chapters count as expansions either. That's also 'just' a bunch of story, a new map and some random extra like a new skill line or the new companion side quests.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Then we'd have to hear the complaining about how some people can't afford it and feel left out...which we have enough of already.  Nope, I'll continue to buy some gems occasionally.  No subs, no season passes, thanks Anet.

Again you all want new things, new contents but do not want to chip in. Well you guys actually got what you ask for - EOD should have been release a year or 2 years ago but no it has been 4 years and still counting. Who knows when are we going to get the new expac? may be another 4 years? Well I believe 4 years later the game is too old to compete - WoW is always changing, FFXIV Gw2 cant compete to that tbh, RIOT MMORPG is under development, New World looks promising and for the love of god they have Amazon so financial is not a problem, Ashe of Creation idk about this but it looks ok and more and more good MMORPG will be released. Do you think Gw2 in the next 4 years - a 12 years old MMORPG can compete with those ? I don't think so 

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

By that logic none of the Elder Scrolls Online chapters count as expansions either. That's also 'just' a bunch of story, a new map and some random extra like a new skill line or the new companion side quests.

ESO has a remarkable and pricy Cash shop where people cant use ingame currency to buy those items. ESO players have been pissed for a long time because of the greediness of ESO Cash shop but at the end they have new expansion every 2 years. 

8 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

I said long-term. The Seasonal Pass system is designed to try and keep users playing for as long as possible, which causes burnout and people putting down the game forever. MMORPGs are already designed to do this at a much slower scale. A season pass cranks it up to 11.

More and more games are already developed a seasonal pass system. The sub system is starting to fall out and lately people do not really want to pay sub anymore because it make them feel like they need to play the game otherwise $15 a month seems like a waste. I believe Anet is also developing Seasonal pass or things like that. The game need to generate more income for the love of god. Not many people is actually swiping their credit card and help them out and it has been proved lately - EOD should have been released years ago, the laid off, the cancellation of new projects, the rush of contents, the lack of budget. I am 100% confidence that they are making something to generating more income instead of just putting shiny skins on the market. Seasonal Pass is a new way for most games to make money, and I would love to see them do it. It is an optional thing anyway, no one force people to purchase them, non p2w in Gw2 unless people pay IRL $ for carry, beside all that I do not think Seasonal pass is a bad idea short-term or even long-term. 

1 minute ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

More and more games are already developed a seasonal pass system. The sub system is starting to fall out and lately people do not really want to pay sub anymore because it make them feel like they need to play the game otherwise $15 a month seems like a waste. I believe Anet is also developing Seasonal pass or things like that. The game need to generate more income for the love of god. Not many people is actually swiping their credit card and help them out and it has been proved lately - EOD should have been released years ago, the laid off, the cancellation of new projects, the rush of contents, the lack of budget. I am 100% confidence that they are making something to generating more income instead of just putting shiny skins on the market. Seasonal Pass is a new way for most games to make money, and I would love to see them do it. It is an optional thing anyway, no one force people to purchase them, non p2w in Gw2 unless people pay IRL $ for carry, beside all that I do not think Seasonal pass is a bad idea short-term or even long-term. 

That's because it's just this year's flavor of extracting money from consumer's wallets. Lootboxes were all the rage a few years ago and finally fell out after they saw the consequences of it (BLCs need to go too Anet). We're just now getting to long-term effects of Season Passes and it's starting to show. People are burnt out from those games and the playerbase population falls which ends up being less revenue going forward.

And if you believe that "people don't have to do it -- it's optional" kitten, just look at the WvW Tournaments  from back in the day. It never recovered due to burnout because people had to be apart of it, even though that game mode is optional.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why do you assume that people who don't like this specific method of selling certain items are entirely unwilling to spend money on the game? It's not one or the other. There's already a wide variety of stuff offered in the gem store to buy, not to mention the ability to convert gems into gold to get stuff in the game itself. When Anet recently arranged a 20% discount on gem cards in Europe they sold out in under a day and Anet had to arrange for more to be created, so clearly players are willing to spend money on the game.

Just because we don't want to jump through hoops to buy unknown items via a convoluted method doesn't mean we're not willing to spend anything at all. It's just that this specific suggestion is not popular.

16 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

ESO has a remarkable and pricy Cash shop where people cant use ingame currency to buy those items. ESO players have been pissed for a long time because of the greediness of ESO Cash shop but at the end they have new expansion every 2 years. 

You...don't play ESO do you? No they don't get an expansion pack every 2 years.

Each year there's 4 paid releases (and no free ones, beyond minor updates): 2 of those are dungeon DLC with nothing but a pair of dungeon paths, 1 story DLC with a new map and quests and 1 'chapter' with a slightly bigger map and quests and some random extra like a new skill line or class. 3 of those are included in the subscription price, or available for one-off payments, the chapter is a paid extra for everyone, even if you're subscribing already. I'd say in terms of the amount of content it's comparable to what GW2 gets in a year, it's just more expensive.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

I do not think so, look at popular games with those system. They actually generate more income and provide more solid contents because of those who bought the seasonal passes. 

Sure, look at the games. All of them - popular and unpopular, with and without the system. If you do, you will see that having a season pass or not in no way impacts quality of the game. Sure, a lot of popular games have that system, but it's not like they are popular due to it - it's that it's easier to sell a battle pass for a popular game than for an unpopular one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Frozenize.9603

For people to be able to buy gems with in game gold someone have to buy gems for cash and buy gold in game.

If people dont do that we would see pay 1000 gold for 100 gems after awhile.

People would stop buying way before it got to that price because its more beneficial time wise to just buy some gems for irl cash then to gold farm then.

2 hours ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Subscriptions were the same thing back in the 00s and early 10s, then it moved on to things like collector's editions that don't come with the game/$300 CE's that take $50 to produce/Day 1 content patches, then loot boxes, then a general "live service" model, and the latest big thing for companies to get constant money for minimal effort is... season passes.

Also all that extra profit coming in? It goes to board members and share holders, not back into the game which is why so many publishers talk about laying off staff despite record profits.

You're also conflating two separate things. EOD has nothing to do with income given that living world episodes were sustainable indefinitely and even as IBS was being made at the start, the developers weren't told an expansion was in the near future or not. GW2 also brought in enough money to sustain the development of two different projects for years before said projects were cancelled because they were eating too much money, not because there was not enough money for them.

There's also a significant negative psychological impact of season passes not unlike those that came with subscriptions. Only instead of "I need to play X game because I'm paying for it" it's "I need to play X game because if I don't I'll miss out on the daily XP".

Also what's the difference between a $30/2-3 month season pass and a $15/month subscription, really? You're paying a similar amount in the long run, getting the same content, and are pressured to keep playing (and paying) beyond what's enjoyable or healthy.

• Like 5

the cycle repeats itself.
-> rushed content is launched.
-> players start to think that the company is in a budget mode and needs help.

-> hike on posts like "the company need our help" on forums.

I always warn that it’s a bad idea to release rushed content, it was better to have waited to bring a better finalle, now we have to deal to "game is dead" speculation for months til EoD is launched;.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Again you all want new things, new contents but do not want to chip in. Well you guys actually got what you ask for - EOD should have been release a year or 2 years ago but no it has been 4 years and still counting. Who knows when are we going to get the new expac? may be another 4 years? Well I believe 4 years later the game is too old to compete - WoW is always changing, FFXIV Gw2 cant compete to that tbh, RIOT MMORPG is under development, New World looks promising and for the love of god they have Amazon so financial is not a problem, Ashe of Creation idk about this but it looks ok and more and more good MMORPG will be released. Do you think Gw2 in the next 4 years - a 12 years old MMORPG can compete with those ? I don't think so 

Personally I'm fine with not having constant expansions, having played WoW for a decade, until I didn't care for the changes they made to appeal to a broader base post Pandaria.  Some of the other ones you mention have been in the works for years and years, other games likewise basically are just cash dumps for development that never see the reality of a full game....and it's not due to funds.  WoW changed to meet the demands of a dumbed down player, after losing the interest of many older players, and trying to appeal to a younger fan base.  I fail to see where you think I complained about lack of new content or unwillingness to pay...considering I own both expansions, and pay for gems.  However, I do not see how this would appeal to many players in this game, who do not want a subscription, not an extra content that you must pay for more than currently.

Enough with all these "turn the game into subscription/premium/seasonal pass game" threads popping every week... Maybe all the players posting these ideas are new players to the GW franchise, but the game is b2p and not sub-based and neither should it start to offer passes you "have" to pay for. The gem store is perfect as it is with only convenience items and if you like stuff they put out, buy gems and get the items, but don't try to enforce these subscription ideas on everyone.

Just buy gems.

• Like 4

On 5/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, Frozenize.9603 said:

Hi guys, in this post I would like to talk about the way that we player could support ArenaNet more so they could release more contents and expansion in the future. So, here is my idea: 

I believe Gw2 needs a Seasonal Reward/ Pass where players can purchase it with $15- $30 every season (3 months). The pass can only be purchased with real life money, then players can work for the rewards, if someone want to boost the progression they can use gems to skip a tier (200 - 300 gems per tier). This seasonal pass system can help reviving some dead or old contents in Gw2 such as running Dungeon, Dead or very low population living world story map, world bosses, meta train from some dead maps such as Verdant Brink, Dragon Stands etc. It could also help reviving the price of the items in the Trading Post, some items in-game is actually worth nothing. 

Some rewards from the Seasonal Pass should be limited during the season and when the season ends, Anet can use them and re-sell it in the cash shop with a reasonable price (from 400 - 800 gems depend on which items). Whoever finish all the reward tier from the seasonal pass can get a 5%-10% discount for the next seasonal pass. There should not be a pay 2 win item within the Seasonal Pass, the pass should only provide cosmetics and some convenience item such as bank slot, inventory slot etc. 

The  reason I want Gw2 to have this is because the game is basically pay 2 play and it is pretty cheap to be honest. Plus, the game has a plan to go on Steam and it would be great if they have something exclusive every 3 months to gain more players. Anet has done a great job however, new expac every 3-4 years is a long time and I know they are lack of income sources and low budget. I love Gw2 and I would love to see it continuing  to grow with more players and more expac. 

Let's me know your idea below and thank you for reading this. 

FYI: English is not my main language so please be patient with my English and grammar. 

Thank you 

So a few things, first off the game is more B2P (buy to play) pay to play is like WoW, a sub. Dungeons are only “dead” because there’s no reason to massively overhaul them. They are insanely easy to blow through and the rewards aren’t really worth it anymore. There are people that farm them here and there for the 5gold reward achievement, but it’s not highly lucrative so yeah, not a lot of groups. Too much time for too little of a reward.

The season concept honestly sounds like you stole it straight from Destiny 2’s overhaul, which still have a lot of players a bit upset over it. A lot quit as well due to the changes. I don’t really see the point of needing to pay 15-30$ to get cosmetic rewards specific to a “season” when you can just do that now through the gem store. Or bank tab expansions. Or character slots... all of those are under or at 10$ as it is.

Also kind of fail to see how flooding the market with more items that “are worth nothing” would magically increase their value, just goes against the simple law of supply/demand. World maps aren’t dead. World bosses aren’t dead. Just look on lfg for a squad currently mapping people. Verdant Brink is still fairly active and more so when Shiny Baubles is on the map rewards list.

Time-Limited rewards actually goes against Anets philosophy for the most part, holiday events excluded because those are annual events. It’s another reason they’re bringing the Marionette event back, they regret making Season 1 a one and done thing. As far as their plans for releasing on Steam that’s been postponed after seeing an overwhelming positive response from the announcement of EOD. I feel like the delay was to gauge how well the expansion might do and possibly delay the steam thing indefinitely. That’s not typically a good thing for that to happen, might mean financially they’re hurting or needing to cut costs.

Subs or seasonal passes are the last thing the game needs, it would hurt more than help. What the game needs is more engaging content more often. Don’t get me wrong it’s a collector/completionist’s wet dream, but that’s a pretty small market compared to those that want instant gratification. But it’s also pretty tough to design new content, rewards, elite specs and power creep on a game that has a lateral end-game. You run the risk of bloating the game to the point that it makes new players entirely too standoffish because they never feel like they’ll “catch-up” or more casual players feel like they’re drowning in options without a good heading.

Eventually this game might need to either increase player level or offer a paragon type system. Both are potentially problematic due to all the character progress for the last 9 years almost has been centered around level 80. But that’s a can of worms best saved in a different discussion.

EDIT: As far as “reviving dead content” like dungeons, simple achievements can be added to breathe some life back into them. Something like your party completing them with exotic or rare gear only and no elite specs, and the rewards for doing so actually be worth doing it on. Albeit unless it’s a repeatable reward weekly that will fall out of popularity eventually. Either way though arbitrary price tags on little actual content is a far cry from what Anets core philosophy on gaming is. And to be honest it’s a pity there are so many gamers who have become so accustomed to such practices that they somehow feel it will innately lead to better content. The last decade in gaming has totally disproved it.

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

@Frozenize.9603

For people to be able to buy gems with in game gold someone have to buy gems for cash and buy gold in game.

If people dont do that we would see pay 1000 gold for 100 gems after awhile.

People would stop buying way before it got to that price because its more beneficial time wise to just buy some gems for irl cash then to gold farm then.

If people keep using gold to buy gems so be it. Because for every one person doing so, 5 more aren’t. It’s more beneficial in the long run if new blood comes to the game because the amount of gold gained from gems should increase as well. Of course you’re going to see inflation within the trading post. But it’s been 9 years. What the game needs is a bit more of a money sink tbh. 

Now I don’t have have crap for gold. But I’ve also taken long breaks. The gen 3 leggos should be a decent gold sink for a short while but eventually they’re going to need another

17 hours ago, Frozenize.9603 said:

Then how can people support Anet then? Buying Gems is not enough and it actually has been proved so far. 3-4 years for a new expansion is just too sad compare to other big MMORPG - WoW, FFXIV, ESO, BDO provide new expansion every 1.5 - 2 years routine. Living World Story cannot be count as new expansion to be honest, it is just a bunches of story with new currency and new map with some new achievement. 

Well first off, the Gem Store supplemented some other projects they were working on. Secondly we don’t know if those other projects (or at least I don’t know for sure) were “ordered” by NCSoft or not. Sometimes devs have to pursue other things as per what publishers want. Sometimes it’s contractual, othertimes it’s exploration in the marketplace.

Secondly, this game doesn’t force people to stay around, I know seems a bit counter intuitive, but if it takes 4 years between major content drops with seasons trickled out in between, it’s not a terrible deal... I’d much rather an expansion of Anets caliber, than a guaranteed 2 year cycle and content suffer as a result.

Covid crap aside, I feel like the conclusion of Icebrood was a bit rushed, either due to getting EoD out before holiday season, or by this year? Whatever the case it just seemed a bit hasty. But I also too don’t want to assume that we were ever supposed to get a separate story for both Primordus and Jormag. Lore wise it makes much more sense that we’d ever have interactions with Jormag rather than Primordus because he’s full on about destruction.  So yeah the ending felt abrubt but we’ve also yet to see the consequences of what happened, we can pretty much safely assume it’s going to be directly tied to Cantha’s release.

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, Frozenize.9603 said:

I bought about 5000 Gems every 2-3 months just to support the game but only a small amount of number do the same thing. If they give us things like seasonal pass and the only way to purchase with real life $ then it would make a big different. 
Swiping credit card wont help reviving contents that have been dead for years such as dungeons, the way I am trying to do is to make people go back to play some old content

Its not about the money, its never been about the money as to why those modes and game pieces are abandoned. They want it that way, they chose for it to be that way. No amount of money will incentivize them to change their mind; They are as they intend it to bbe and as they want it to be.

By the Alchemy, not another (quasi) subscription dead horse thread. We just finished putting down the other one, it doesn't even have a lower jaw anymore.

You wanna support the game? Buy more gems, I guess. But don't suggest bad ideas like this and expect us to like them.

The season pass can join the subscription in the depths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, Frozenize.9603 said:

I bought about 5000 Gems every 2-3 months just to support the game but only a small amount of number do the same thing. If they give us things like seasonal pass and the only way to purchase with real life $ then it would make a big different. 
Swiping credit card wont help reviving contents that have been dead for years such as dungeons, the way I am trying to do is to make people go back to play some old content

Good to see we have a whale in making here.

If you keep it up and increase the spending, Anet will surely implement your ideas.

• Haha 1