What is the point of buying an outfit if you can't use with your skins?

I have bought an outfit and to my surprise i can't mix with my skins ;(
For example, lets say i wanna use the Witcher outfit with chaos gloves? YOU CAN'T!

So what is the reason to buy one outfit if you can't even use with your skins?
It doesn't make any sense at all.

I think they should make this a thing, I'm pretty sure people would bought a lot more outfits if they can use with their skins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Seems the result of ANet using the 'disguise' mechanic they made for quest usage for their 'cosmetic' system instead of implementing the kind of systems used by most other MMOs which were designed for the purpose and allow individual slot changes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kraggy.4169 said:

Seems the result of ANet using the 'disguise' mechanic they made for quest usage for their 'cosmetic' system instead of implementing the kind of systems used by most other MMOs which were designed for the purpose and allow individual slot changes.

This is clearly a HUGE mistake, what is the reason to buy an outfit 
if you can't mix with your skins?!

Atm the only thing you can mix is the backpack?!

And because of that people have no incentive to buy outfit 
because the outfit alone is horrible most of the time?!

What is the point of buying a glove, shoulder, if the outfit is a one piece thing  that can't be used with any other skin you have?! This is a shitty system.

This is actually madness.

Edited by kanemi.4903
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Outfits are an alternative to armour skins, not a part of that system.

I think the main reason for having them is convenience: outfits don't allow the same level of customisation but they also don't require customisation. If someone doesn't care about customising their armour skins or doesn't think they can choose a good combination themselves they can still make their character look good by choosing an outfit to wear. The fact that it completely overwrites your armour skins also means you don't have to keep changing it. I know quite a few people who use outfits mainly on low level characters so they can keep a consistent style even when they're constantly swapping out their equipment for higher level stuff. You can also switch instantly between any unlocked outfits without having to pay transmutation charges. (You do have to change all the dyes though, which is annoying.)

It also allows Anet's designers a bit more freedom because they don't have to match the armour slots or make sure there's a full set and the same kind-of applies to players: we can get clothing which doesn't look like armour by using outfits. (Most of the outfits I use are like this: they look like the clothes NPCs wear, and I use them for times when my armour would look out of place.)

But if you bought an outfit expecting it to be a set of armour skins and can't use it the way it is I recommend contacting Customer Support to explain the mistake and ask if they can refund you the gems. I know they've sometimes done that in the past for people who bought something without realising how it actually works.

33 minutes ago, Kraggy.4169 said:

They've got both cosmetic systems. If you want to change individual armour pieces (or weapons) you use the wardrobe to change the skins on that item instead of using an outfit to hide them.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, kanemi.4903 said:

This is clearly a HUGE mistake, what is the reason to buy an outfit 
if you can't mix with your skins?!

Atm the only thing you can mix is the backpack?!

And because of that people have no incentive to buy outfit 
because the outfit alone is horrible most of the time?!

What is the point of buying a glove, shoulder, if the outfit is a one piece thing  that can't be used with any other skin you have?! This is a shitty system.

This is actually madness.

How is this "actually madness"? I'd say repeatedly asking "what is the point" is weirder here, because the point is rather clear: if someone doesn't want to play around with mixing and matching skins, but instead likes the pre-set outfit, then they get the outfit and stick to the same look regardless of changing the equipment throughout their gameplay.

There are also armor skins that can be mixed with other skins, outfits are a separate category, so next time check what you're buying, I guess.

...and you can see plenty of people ingame using outfits, so consider your opinion about "no incentive to buy outfit" to be outright wrong.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

How is this "actually madness"? I'd say repeatedly asking "what is the point" is weirder here, because the point is rather clear: if someone doesn't want to play around with mixing and matching skins, but instead likes the pre-set outfit, then they get the outfit and stick to the same look regardless of changing the equipment throughout their gameplay.

There are also armor skins that can be mixed with other skins, outfits are a separate category, so next time check what you're buying, I guess.

I'm not exactly complaining about the outfit i got. 
What I'm asking is:
Why can't I use an outfit with a skin?! 

...and you can see plenty of people ingame using outfits, so consider your opinion about "no incentive to buy outfit" to be outright wrong.

May be the case. 
And I'm ok with that.

1 hour ago, kanemi.4903 said:

For example, lets say i wanna use the Witcher outfit with chaos gloves? YOU CAN'T!

I think they should make this a thing, I'm pretty sure people would bought a lot more outfits if they can use with their skins.

An outfit is a “onesie”. Armor is not a “onesie”. It’s quicker and more cost effective to produce an outfit “onesie” over individual armor pieces. And if outfits were broken up into individual pieces they would no longer be outfits, they would be armor. And armor takes a ton more time and resources to create...

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it's like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That's for a normal armor set -- legendary is much longer.)”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't use an outfit with an armor skin because that's not how they work; they've never worked that way.  Many players don't like outfits for that reason so you have lots of company.  I like outfits but realize they're not for everyone.

Let's be careful what we wish for.  ANet is now selling that Ice Reaver armor set one piece at a time in the Gem Shop, and to get a full set it costs WAY more than buying an outfit, all for the option of being able to mix 'n' match.  You wanna pay 3000 gems for a full set or 700 for an outfit, knock yourself out.

Outfits offer convenience without having to put together a look.  Consider it ready to wear as opposed to custom tailored.  I personally use them on characters that I'm leveling just because they change armor as they go and frankly they look hideous and I don't want to take the time to change the look constantly.  Also some have a lovely theme for holidays or other events.  While it would be nice to mix and match, it has been long discussed by players and long explained by devs.  Players say why not, devs say coding, time, and gem store revenue.  So surprise!!! Enjoy the outfit and make it work 😜

The reason for outfits to exist is1)on ANets side to sell complete looks on the gemstore to generate profit to finance the game and 2) on the player's side to have a coherent look that's kinda shiny/thematic/"""unique""" for a few gems and bypassing earning skins in-gam. The reasons why oufits can't be mixed and matched with armor skins is probably something with coding. Outfits behave differently than armor skins. They use different parts of the UI, unlock in different areas of the wardrobe and are different types of items for example. However, the way outfits and armor skins work has been the way it is for years now, so it shouldn't have suprised you that you could not use them together. Would it be fun if they could? Sure. Is it a super pressing matter for the state of the game? I doubt it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kanemi.4903 said:

Simply put, they’re an alternative to farming for a full set or to cover up janky looking gear you might not want to use transmog charges on.

• Like 1

Outfits weren't meant to replace armor skins.  Outfits were meant as something fast to throw on, like when you're leveling or you have a new character, or even just an option to wear, since you can click it on and off. 

Not everyone wants to mix and match and spend time on their appearance. Some people want to just raid or just PvP and they still want to look cool. So they buy an outfit. Outfits don't use transmutation charges, you can use them on leveling characters without wasting a bunch of transmutation charges.

And complete armor sets were removed from the  cash shop because players felt that armor sets should be in game rewards not cash rewards. So inferior outfits are sold in the cash shop, but full armor sets are available in game, with the exception of the few sets that were introduced early on before those decisions were made.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Outfits weren't meant to replace armor skins.  Outfits were meant as something fast to throw on, like when you're leveling or you have a new character, or even just an option to wear, since you can click it on and off. 

Not everyone wants to mix and match and spend time on their appearance. Some people want to just raid or just PvP and they still want to look cool. So they buy an outfit. Outfits don't use transmutation charges, you can use them on leveling characters without wasting a bunch of transmutation charges.

And complete armor sets were removed from the  cash shop because players felt that armor sets should be in game rewards not cash rewards. So inferior outfits are sold in the cash shop, but full armor sets are available in game, with the exception of the few sets that were introduced early on before those decisions were made.

Sadly they seem to have gone back on this stance now with the icereaver set coming out piecemeal on the gemstore.

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

Sadly they seem to have gone back on this stance now with the icereaver set coming out piecemeal on the gemstore.

Nope they've always released gloves, boots and shoulders. But no legs or chest.  That's been going on all along. What' they're not releasing are complete sets.

27 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Nope they've always released gloves, boots and shoulders. But no legs or chest.  That's been going on all along. What' they're not releasing are complete sets.

looks like it will be a full set now.

Search for ice reaver chest and read the reddit thread mate.

Edit

We got helm, shoulder, glove and boots the two others are coming later.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

looks like it will be a full set now.

Search for ice reaver chest and read the reddit thread mate.

Edit

We got helm, shoulder, glove and boots the two others are coming later.

Are we sure the other two are coming in the gem store though? Because it's not there yet. Maybe it's something you can earn in game. I hope that's the case anyway.  Right now what we have is something datamined and people saying it's going to be this. By the same token, the paper bag helm was datamined and that never made it into the game at all.

25 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Are we sure the other two are coming in the gem store though? Because it's not there yet. Maybe it's something you can earn in game. I hope that's the case anyway.  Right now what we have is something datamined and people saying it's going to be this. By the same token, the paper bag helm was datamined and that never made it into the game at all.

Both items have a gem shop banner 100% its going to be in the gem shop.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Been years since the gem store had new tops and trousers, so please forgive my skepticism.

Yea and when exactly did we get chest and leg armor ernable in game that rounded out 4 other skins from the gemshop?

• Like 2