Skyscale mount

10 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Acquiring the Skyscale has been made easier since it's release.

As new LWS Chapters have been released they have added methods of converting Bjora Marches Eternal Ice to LWS4 Currencies.  Over time, the amount you could convert per day was also improved to make it easier.

This is definitely a valid method.  I did this for the Eitrite Ingots, but I racked up about 750-1000 Eternal ice shards in the proces every day. I also opened every Chest of Valor, Resilience and such in Bjora Marshes everyday. 750 of those will give you 100 of some LW4 currency.

I did not even farm the Eternal Ice nodes themselves in Bjora btw, if you do that you might rack up a lot more.  I had full Mastery though which is important so that you can open all chests. Trying to join a "farming full home" group daily will also help a lot.  I have a full home and most people join me for the LW currencies.

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 1

I'm on the last legs of the Skyscale journey (currently collecting mats for the saddle), and I will readily agree that it was definitely not fun and absolutely too grindy and repetitive.

However, an observation: "repetitive and grindy" basically describes 75% or more of the activities in this game. Everything beyond basic exotic gear requires farming some custom map-specific material in ridiculous quantities, or running time-gated events, or both. So it's par for the course for "end game" activities in GW2.

And there are really two meta-categories of people that play this game:

1. People that are prepared to do whatever it takes to get an edge (whether it be in raid DPS, WvW/PvP dominance, or Fashion Wars)
  2. Casuals who just want to fart around and play

People in group 2 (of which I'm one) need to decide their tolerance level for "forever grinding", because if they hate it then their experience in GW2 will be somewhat limited. (Unless they are eternally patient and willing to spend months accumulating things.)

3 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I have a lot of Alt accounts and 7 of them already have the Skyscale. I consider getting the Skyscale just playing the game, it is the perfect sort of "content" for me. I utterly disagree with the OP's wish to make it easier, that would mean nothing less then cutting content for me.  

I am 100% PvE and I need a reason to revisit zones, do meta's and DE's and such.  A reward like the Skyscale is a great incentive to do it all (again). 

I must also admit that I will never tire of the well built world and atmosphere of GW2. I guess if you are the more competitive type, you might find content like this a drag. 

I really like this, and it's how I think of it as well.  If you're behind in the collection, it's not hard to catch up, and there are many players doing the same.  I feel like a lot of players just want it all handed to them, but that's part of an mmo and certainly not the hardest or grindiest in game world.  Do it, get it done, fly around, and have fun OP.

The problem comes when making a personal item you have to grind from content that requires zergs and big groups. Thats bad design, no one does DF much anymore good luck soloing that place to get all you need for the mount. At least griffon was awesome in its story arc, it made you feel like you were actually on a journey. I would do griffon 100 times over skyscale. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

The problem comes when making a personal item you have to grind from content that requires zergs and big groups. Thats bad design, no one does DF much anymore good luck soloing that place to get all you need for the mount. At least griffon was awesome in its story arc, it made you feel like you were actually on a journey. I would do griffon 100 times over skyscale. 

Running all over map to find scales and eggs require a zerg now?

Sure as hell dident whn I did it solo.

• Thanks 4

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

Running all over map to find scales and eggs require a zerg now?

Sure as hell dident whn I did it solo.

Exactly.  You do need 10 events per camp to unlock the quartermasters, but most of those can be done with just 1 or 2 others (or I daresay solo, if you're good enough). Anyway, there are plenty of people doing Dragonfall; as usual, just use LFG.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I would do Skyscale 100 times over Griffon.

I was only able to get the Griffon with the help of my Skyscale. 

I hope the Devs release more collections/quests like the one for the Skyscale.  👍

For some of us, the griffon's 250 g.p. price-tag is far more  of an issue than the grindiness of the skyscale currency chase.  I'm still a fairly new player, so much of my gold for quite a while to come will be going on getting gems for QoL items. The skyscale, by comparison, was much more doable for me. (Then again, I'm guessing that some people are happy to just whip out their trusty old credit card whenever they want something, and that often, those will be the kind of people who will start complaining because they can't just buy their skyscale directly off the gem store. Maybe those people should go off and play BDO?)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beleron.9347 said:

For some of us, the griffon's 250 g.p. price-tag is far more  of an issue than the grindiness of the skyscale currency chase.  I'm still a fairly new player, so much of my gold for quite a while to come will be going on getting gems for QoL items. The skyscale, by comparison, was much more doable for me. (Then again, I'm guessing that some people are happy to just whip out their trusty old credit card whenever they want something, and that often, those will be the kind of people who will start complaining because they can't just buy their skyscale directly off the gem store. Maybe those people should go off and play BDO?)

No, it's not that they can't just buy it off the store with a credit card.

New generation of gamers is just lazy and doesen't work for stuff. They expect everything to be given.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, Solarie.4182 said:

Hello there.

Well i have issues with the skyscale mount and the "overly insain amout of stuff needed to get it" this shoult be tuned down by alot. when it goes as far as the deves have used same event to do multiple times in order to timegate it you know it is faar faaar to much.

Now after what 2 years time, it is time to just losen it up and yes i do work on it and i am now at the last leg of it next for me is the second to last achivment. but in going after it, it have also almost burnt me out on the game. And being a new/ returning player from before any of the exp that is not good for players and Arenanet.

So Arenanet you should look into the mounts and perhaps lose up some of the requirements.

Sorry for any miss spelling here i am not english and have not used google translate 😛

i read this as i dont want to put in any effort but i want the reward.

2 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

heh, you're as casual as raiders compared to me.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...or maybe he's as casual as you (or more), but just more patient?

Quite right.  I probably average 3-5 hours per week of playing GW2 due to real life obligations and responsibilities.

• Like 2

My wife and I finished getting the mount a week ago. Yes, the path was painful and not my favorite experience, but we did it. That said, I’m not opposed to taming the grind if others wanted.

Edit: On a side note, I like how the ignore feature indirectly tells me who's spamming 'confused' on my posts. 😄

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I remember thinking I was near done, and being completely frazzled when I was up to the feeding part... and I didn't even know you could do it 4 times a day. 

That said, probably one of the most singularly rewarding 'questlines' in any of the mmo's I've played. The Skyscale is integral to my gaming experience, it's aesthetic is also amazing. 

As a heads up, the Dragon Bash festival is where you can buy a lot of the map currency via gold process.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, HappyHubris.1096 said:

MMO grinds are always very divisive:

1. The people who treat MMO accomplishments as a proxy for life accomplishments get upset over anyone else having an "easier" path than they did.
  2. People who just play for fun bristle at artificial time sinks.

It's almost impossible to get agreements on these discussions.

Time sinks are actually the opposite of grind. A time sink prevents you from getting it faster. It doesn't add grind to the equation though.  Time sinks allow more casual players to keep pace with people who can play constantly...at least that' the theory.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:00 PM, Beleron.9347 said:

(Then again, I'm guessing that some people are happy to just whip out their trusty old credit card whenever they want something, and that often, those will be the kind of people who will start complaining because they can't just buy their skyscale directly off the gem store. Maybe those people should go off and play BDO?)

They'd be in for a very rude surprise there. Without getting into too much detail, Pearl Abyss (BDO's devs) are kinda trolling their own whales - to actually get more power, you can't just swipe... you actually have to understand how the player market works, and how the RNG upgrade system works as well. You also can't buy the super mounts (or mounts of any kind) in the cash shop. Which is a shame, because even the mount training and upgrade system is RNG, so I'll never invest enough rage and tears to actually get one unless I could straight buy it. So even in the most notorious p2w game, it's more like "pay to get a literal 6% chance at winning." It's ludicrous.

But as for the topic at hand, I think the collection is fine the way it is now. As many have already mentioned, they've already made the collection faster than it was at skyscale launch. Moreover, as others have also mentioned, the skyscale can easily become the one and only mount you use for everything aside from water travel, and I think the effort required matches the value it brings to gameplay.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:26 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

The skyscale is pretty much a legendary mount.  It will take a lot of grind to obtain.  Your best bet would be to pick one requirement and work on that.  Then, when finished, work on the next one.  I didn't rush to get mine and was able to complete it (with Wiki help!) over several months of very casual play.  I have other commitments (family, work, etc) so I just did a little at a time.

I think that the requirements are fine and should not be adjusted.

You know it's not a legendary mount when you have to say it "pretty much" is.

• Confused 1

On 6/14/2021 at 5:16 AM, Hannelore.8153 said:

The Skyscale is the only optional mount. Every other mount is required in some situations, even Griffon for some newer events like Dragonfall chest train and the Roller Beetle for the racing minigames. To make up for this, the Skyscale also has the ability to do anything that any other mount can do, although less efficiently.

Once obtained, many players use it as their only mount in nearly all situations.

That's why its basically a Legendary-quality mount, and the grind is about the same. The time to obtain a Legendary weapon without "cheating" (i.e spending gold) is ~1mo, and the time to acquire the Skyscale casually is about the same.

Hardcore players can do it in about four days and I think that's very reasonable.

It takes as long as a legendary so it "basically" a legendary?

The logical thing to say is, it's not a legendary so it shouldn't take as long as a legendary to obtain.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

It takes as long as a legendary so it "basically" a legendary?

The logical thing to say is, it's not a legendary so it shouldn't take as long as a legendary to obtain.

The devs literally said it was meant to be a Legendary equivalent for a mount. It was even made easier, the timegates for one Tyrian day used to be one real life day.

• Like 1