I really loathe immersion breaking cosmetics.

It's all very familiar to us now.  Game developers dropping their ideals in favour of the money crab cash shops.  Sad but true.  I think TESO is holding out well in this regard.  Slipping a bit but not going overboard as GW2 is.

When they open the flood gates on the flash and the ridiculous stuff, it's usually the beginning of the end.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I can't help but sympathize with OP, though I am well aware that there's nothing to be done about it.  However, what I will bitche about is this term some people on this thread are using: "Tolkien-esque" in the same sentence as "Generic".  There was a hell of a lot more to Tolkien than just elves and dwarves, and in those regards the "generic" fantasy folks refer to are similar to the Legendarium in only the most superficial sense.

Tolkien-esque is the same as WoW clones. Most WoW clones aren't nearly WOW.  But the authors are still trying to capture what Tolkien did, whether they succeeded or not.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Christmas & Halloween mounts and cosmetics are a good example of this. The Phantom's Hood is alright, but Pumpkins & Christmas hats are too much.

I hate disco ball legendaries, rainbows and unicorns.

I hate cute neko ears. 

I don't want GW2 to become TERA. 

thats why in WoW some items are limited to a eventtime in game. nobody likes it but it makes sense.

that rainbow unicorn bow. i played together with a player the first time who had this bow .... holy kitten is this annoying 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Christmas & Halloween mounts and cosmetics are a good example of this. The Phantom's Hood is alright, but Pumpkins & Christmas hats are too much.

I hate cute neko ears. 

Bit late asking that after 8 years... it's all in there already. Best bet for you is turning on standard models for everyone, where it's possible. 😄 

39 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

Everyone is dressing too sexy in this game.  There needs to be an option to turn everyone into modest Tyrian God fearing people.

I’m not sure if Tyrian gods require body coverage, but male characters sure adhere do it, whilst females like to flash a lot. Oh well - targeting the straight male audience is the best strategy I bet.

But I get where you come from - I think some degree of social conservatism makes fantasy games immersive. Because that’s how it used to be in the past! Impementing modern culture standards in such games is understandable for nurturing acceptance (I am not conservative at all just a disclaimer), but it totally breaks the immersion in my opinion. It’s not like they should burn witches etc. but maybe just keep it all more neutral and toned down when it comes to customs. Actually when I think about it - it is done quite well in GW2 apart from the stupid story characters.

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I’m not sure if Tyrian gods require body coverage, but male characters sure adhere do it, whilst females like to flash a lot. Oh well - targeting the straight male audience is the best strategy I bet.

But I get where you come from - I think some degree of social conservatism makes fantasy games immersive. Because that’s how it used to be in the past! Impementing modern culture standards in such games is understandable for nurturing acceptance (I am not conservative at all just a disclaimer), but it totally breaks the immersion in my opinion. It’s not like they should burn witches etc. but maybe just keep it all more neutral and toned down when it comes to customs. Actually when I think about it - it is done quite well in GW2 apart from the stupid story characters.

I was joking.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, phreeak.1023 said:

Couldn't care less. At least everyone looks special in his own ways thanks to a lot of skins. 

There are too many games out there where at one point in the end content, everyone just looks the same. 

I have nothing against extra skins especially when it helps the dev's stay afloat but can't we have them minus the Christmas tree lights and disco balls?

It's bad enough having a enemy armed with long range particle accelerator canons, rail guns, mortars and the ability to nuke us from orbit.  What happened to the fantasy setting?  When did we drift into a star wars movie?

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Everyone with these bought skins are starting to look rather samey.

One good thing does come out of all of this is when you stand next to someone in a gem store skin wearing your vanilla stuff, you look great in comparison..

Indeed. People ask me all the time what my characters are wearing, and are surprised to find out it's just a well-coordinated mix and match of various in-game skins and dye jobs. I get special satisfaction explaining my getups to the characters jumping all over the place with less than 300AP in a gem store outfit, so they learn as new players what the f2p cosmetic system can do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Indeed. People ask me all the time what my characters are wearing, and are surprised to find out it's just a well-coordinated mix and match of various in-game skins and dye jobs. I get special satisfaction explaining my getups to the characters jumping all over the place with less than 300AP in a gem store outfit, so they learn as new players what the f2p cosmetic system can do.

I will always stop and admire such dress as well as try to break down how they have achieved the look.  The gem-store lollypop stuff on the other hand never warrants a second look.

You:

express your disappointment by writing on forums.  

People who like those skins:

express their appreciation by spending $$$ on gem store. 

Which of the two do you think Anet will listen to?

Edited by Raizel.1839
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2021 at 5:46 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

I hate cute neko ears. 

I'm sorry but wintersday and Shadow of the Mad king are REAL holidays in Tyria.

Like honestly I love both of those renditions of those holidays in game, and it makes the things you mention a real part of the game. Like I look forward more to those holidays here in the US BECAUSE of them XD

• Like 3

Personally anything I acquire that lights up, flashes, smokes, shimmers or throws confetti gets destroyed immediately.

My one big disappointment with my Remnant is that her hands leak kitten and I can't turn it off.  They really shouldn't do this with vanilla character models.

I love to see those gaudy, overdone getups that are the preference of such a large proportion of the player base. They allow me to smugly remind myself that, however bad I may be at the gameplay, my taste is undoubtedly superior to that of the vulgar masses. But a word of caution to those who might also wish to adopt such an attitude: the best companion to smugness is silence...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Tuco.2419 said:

Would love the ability to disable backpacks and infusions on other players.

Just to add to this, 90% of the backpacks I see on people make them look ridiculous and terrible. I don't know how anyone can bear strapping that garbage to their back and running around like a doofus. Their body their choice and I don't begrudge them, but they might as well be wearing a propeller cap as far as I can tell.

https://canary.contestimg.wish.com/api/webimage/5ca2fadab453e26bd77f9e36-large.jpg

Edited by Tuco.2419
  • Like 2

As someone who prefers a more low-key look for my characters (with maybe a slight sprinkle of sparkles as a sometimes-treat), I would REALLY appreciate it if anet could root all their sparkle cosmetics into the game's lore so I could at least go "well ok that's where THAT came from" at least.  Just give me a big ol' city, that's like the fantasy version of las vegas or shinjuku, or any of those really flashy cities.  Have it be where a person's social standing is entirely described by how many lumens they give off, where the upperclass/aristocrats live in this gilded and glowing metropolis, and the lower down you go the darker it gets (literally, thematically, etc) I just... I need it.