Make dungeons great again

6 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I like speedrunning, not doing a bunch of mini-game puzzles for 30 minutes. Anyone here like dungeons but not Fractals? It's a pretty bad impression for a new player to come into an MMO and see the dungeons are dead.

I agree with your title (and final statement), but I don't believe you've done very many dungeons if you think they don't have annoying tedious puzzles in them.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

I agree with your title (and final statement), but I don't believe you've done very many dungeons if you think they don't have annoying tedious puzzles in them.

They (dungeons) have been dead for a while now, so maybe I misremember them having puzzles. I just know that dungeons were so much more fun than fractals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

"I don't remember what was inside dungeons, but I know they were more fun" 🙃

I think it is indeed worth noting dungeons died years ago. I did Twilight Arbor the other day for the first time since like 2013 and realised I completely  forgot what was inside.

So you succeeded by adding cheeky comment, but there is merit in the OP.

Dungeons felt more immersive than fractals imho because they could be approached in few ways and their completion time was just right as for a highlight of the gaming session.
Like - some fractals (e.g. Siren’s Reef) would make a wonderful dungeon because they are well designed - but just feel cut short and half-baked. Of course one does other dailies as well, but it is not a substitute to dungeon crawling to me. Raids can be, but their length is just too extreme on the other end.

24 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I think it is indeed worth noting dungeons died years ago. I did Twilight Arbor the other day for the first time since like 2013 and realised I completely  forgot what was inside.

So you succeeded by adding cheeky comment, but there is merit in the OP.

Yup, I didn't try to contest the correct part of the post, which was that essentially dungeons died long time ago (although whenever I needed currency from there -even recently- it didn't exactly take long to find a party of people that wanted to complete them too). I just pointed out that it's pretty silly to claim "it's so much better/more fun" while at the same time not really remembering what's inside. So as far as it was indeed a "cheeky comment", I'm pretty sure there's also merit to what I said there.

Dungeons felt more immersive than fractals imho because they could be approached in few ways and their completion time was just right as for a highlight of the gaming session.

Like - some fractals (e.g. Siren’s Reef) would make a wonderful dungeon because they are well designed - but just feel cut short and half-baked. Of course one does other dailies as well, but it is not a substitute to dungeon crawling to me. Raids can be, but their length is just too extreme on the other end.

Yeah, that's kind of a subjective personal preference, no problem. But it still felt off to me considering OP claims "I like speedrunning, not doing a bunch of mini-game puzzles for 30 minutes". Fractals are sort of shorter/faster/more condensed dungeons imo, so I'm a bit confused by his take either way. Not that someone can't prefer dungeons, it's more about OP's reasoning not exactly fitting here imo, but instead seemingly running on pure nostalgia. Didn't bother pointing it out, because someone already did. "I don't remember" was just a cherry on top.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

What stops anyone from speed running dungeons? ... they are still there, they haven't changed. Find 4 other people. If anything, you should be able to run them faster than ever now with all the power creeping. I don't really get the complaint ... there are still lots of mechanics in some dungeons that even to this day are challenging the average dungeon runner that would be similar to mini-game puzzles OP is complaining about.  

If dungeons are to be great again, it's going to take a dedicated group of players to commit to running them and taking on people to show them the ropes. It's well known that Anet abandoned them a long time ago. IIRC, due to the strong link to the story of Destiny's Edge. They probably just couldn't take them beyond that story. I do feel it's a bit odd that they would discontinue what appeared to be a popular content format simply because of a storyline ... but that's what I recall it was. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

What are the differences between Dungeons and Fractals??? They are both instance content. Agony resistant??? Beside, fractals reward more gold. 

Please enlighten me what are the differences. I find many dungeons are really long and tedious

I suggest change the name “Fractal” to “Dungeon” and everyone is happy

Edited by VanWilder.6923
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, VanWilder.6923 said:

What are the differences between Dungeons and Fractals??? They are both instance content. Agony resistant??? Beside, fractals reward more gold. 

Please enlighten me what are the differences. I find many dungeons are really long and tedious

Only difference I can think of besides rewards is that there are more stuff to skip in dungeons when speedrunning.

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Only difference I can think of besides rewards is that there are more stuff to skip in dungeons when speedrunning.

Then my suggestion changing the name “Fractal” to “Dungeon” will not do any good. People will complain about “Dungeon” itself. LOL

Fractals of the Mists is a special type of dungeon that consists of an array of mini-dungeons called fractals, where each fractal has its own story and environment. Characters are adjusted to level 80 within the dungeon. The dungeon is one of the primary sources of ascended equipment and provides materials for crafting infused equipment and attuned equipment.

• In-game description:

If you're looking for a new type of dungeon, try the Fractals of the Mists, accessible through the Fractals asura gate in Lion's Arch. The rewards improve as the difficulty rises.

— Level 80 rewards.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
emphasis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Fractals of the Mists is a special type of dungeon that consists of an array of mini-dungeons called fractals, where each fractal has its own story and environment. Characters are adjusted to level 80 within the dungeon. The dungeon is one of the primary sources of ascended equipment and provides materials for crafting infused equipment and attuned equipment.

• In-game description:

If you're looking for a new type of dungeon, try the Fractals of the Mists, accessible through the Fractals asura gate in Lion's Arch. The rewards improve as the difficulty rises.

— Level 80 rewards.

Well I don’t like this “specific type of dungeon.” I like the traditional dungeons. Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know. 

• Confused 1

I don't think they are dead for new players, I did the dungeon mastery a couple of weeks and easily found low levels to do the story mode with. That's not necessarily the same as finding people to speed run with though, so you shouldn't really conflate the two.  Surely players want to go slowly and take it in when doing dungeons for the first time (I know I do) rather than speed run.

11 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I like speedrunning, not doing a bunch of mini-game puzzles for 30 minutes. Anyone here like dungeons but not Fractals? It's a pretty bad impression for a new player to come into an MMO and see the dungeons are dead.

What's keeping you from playing dungeons? It's really easy to put up an lfg for pretty much any dungeon path and have it filled in a matter of minutes. In fact I frequently have a much easier time getting a dungeon party going than a mid- or worse low-tier fractal party.

If anything's dead as far as lfg is concerned, in my experience it's low-tier fractals, not dungeons.

2 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

What's keeping you from playing dungeons? It's really easy to put up an lfg for pretty much any dungeon path and have it filled in a matter of minutes. In fact I frequently have a much easier time getting a dungeon party going than a mid- or worse low-tier fractal party.

If anything's dead as far as lfg is concerned, in my experience it's low-tier fractals, not dungeons.

If only the people complaining about lack of dungeon activity actually ran them instead of writing forum posts. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, VanWilder.6923 said:

If I take a step back, aside from the technicalities, it's about how the playing experience was designed. The old dungeons are more involved, richer in lore than fractals, but their reward:effort or reward:time are not as appealing to the bulk of the player base.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 11:49 PM, Balsa.3951 said:

For the last time, Fractals and Dungeons are the same thing.

Stop asking for dungeons, u have dungeons in fractals.

Dungeons take advantage of classes unique kits and abilities. Like using stealth to skip packs and help you do objectives.

Fractals are very generic MMO dungeons, intentionally designed where using class specific utility like portals/stealth simply do not work for the objectives. It's just buffer/dps checks.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Dungeons take advantage of classes unique kits and abilities. Like using stealth to skip packs and help you do objectives.

Fractals are very generic MMO dungeons, intentionally designed where using class specific utility like portals/stealth simply do not work for the objectives. It's just buffer/dps checks.

How exactly does this comment work?
You can play dungeons as "generic MMO dungeons" and you can play fractals as "generic MMO dungeons". But just because you don't seem to know, or primarily play with meta-rusher, doesn't mean that fractals aren't also designed for skills of individual classes. Fractals just usually have individual mastery skills added to them, which makes them even more diverse than dungeons.

• Like 1