Do people and devs really enjoy blobing?

Like... Is it really fun to watch 5-50 player models all stacked up into tiny blob of indestingushable ugliness akin to Hecatoncheir from DnD really that fun to you people? Why all in game teammate buffs have such tiny aoe, promoting this ridiculous playstyle? Why devs kill all positioning depth that game could've had by limiting team buff ranges so much? What's the point of fashion wars at all if all we see majority of time is a moving blob?

Edited by dragonkain.3984
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I do not understand what this has to do with fashion wars?

I like the mechanics because when I play healer I have a better overview of my group in raids and fractals. I see nothing negative about it. Especially as a Druid, which plays very dynamic because of this "mechanic" I find it even rather positive.

And with my GW2 settings where i try to fade out the blob as good as possible anyway because i don't like to see all the bling bling, I rather see people standing close to me than those who like to stand at the other end of the map.
So, I don't quite understand the post.

And if you're talking about OW. This factor has zero consent, people blobb because they run after the Comm or the masses not because they think there they are healed or something. Or they play melee, thsi is a thing, you know.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639

When it comes to WvW I wish they would make the AOE attacks hit everything in a small radius plus hit the usual limited number of things in the current larger radius.  20-50 people occupying the same space is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Here's my view - And keep in mind this is all out of my behind, so it could all be very not true but it's the impression I get.

For PvE, and WvW especially, I think the devs didn't intend for blobbing to be the way forward. Maybe for pve but definitely not WvW.

I think the Devs for WvW were like; 'Man, so excited for players to do epic sieges and battles and this and that'. The devs planned for what was -fun- as opposed to what is effective. The fact is, issues like this are of a playerbase's making as opposed to the Devs. The devs wanted epic open field battles and sieges and tactics - but players want to win more than have fun (often, not always). So currently, how do you win? Stack/blob. Is it fun? Not really. Open field battles are just two blobs running around eachother in circles. Sieges are just stacking near a corner and setting up catapults, usually, right up against the wall.

It's effective, and you can win that way - But is it fun? Not really. Not really movie-quality epicness I think the devs wanted to give us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 12:23 AM, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I do not understand what this has to do with fashion wars?

I like the mechanics because when I play healer I have a better overview of my group in raids and fractals. I see nothing negative about it. Especially as a Druid, which plays very dynamic because of this "mechanic" I find it even rather positive.

And with my GW2 settings where i try to fade out the blob as good as possible anyway because i don't like to see all the bling bling, I rather see people standing close to me than those who like to stand at the other end of the map.
So, I don't quite understand the post.

And if you're talking about OW. This factor has zero consent, people blobb because they run after the Comm or the masses not because they think there they are healed or something. Or they play melee, thsi is a thing, you know.

You like people near you because your skills have a 240 radius, if your skills had a 1200 radius you wouln't mind people spreading out

43 minutes ago, AquaBR.9250 said:

Also the reason why playing ranged in this game is stupid, you have a longbow and have to shot arrows from a 1 inch distance, because if you shot from a 1 meter distance you already loose boons

Bad example. If you use your longbow in short range, you have way bigger problems that boons. Ranger longbow (like mesmer greatsword) damage is greatly reduced at short distance, and I'm not aware of warrior or dragonhunter longbow builds that are good enough to make boons an issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Bad example. If you use your longbow in short range, you have way bigger problems that boons. Ranger longbow (like mesmer greatsword) damage is greatly reduced at short distance, and I'm not aware of warrior or dragonhunter longbow builds that are good enough to make boons an issue.

DH longbow also gain more damage with distance, the point is: any melee deals more damage with quick and alac than a ranged without boons and the damage bonuses, that if they don't kick you from the party for not stacking, also, i run rune and sigil of strength on my longbow DH, that with the self might traits only gets me 21 stacks of might and almost no fury (and the 3 seconds quickness every 30 seconds from the elite)

3 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

The fact is, issues like this are of a playerbase's making as opposed to the Devs. The devs wanted epic open field battles and sieges and tactics - but players want to win more than have fun (often, not always). So currently, how do you win? Stack/blob. Is it fun? Not really. Open field battles are just two blobs running around eachother in circles. Sieges are just stacking near a corner and setting up catapults, usually, right up against the wall.

It's effective, and you can win that way - But is it fun? Not really. Not really movie-quality epicness I think the devs wanted to give us.

Yes, the players made the choice to blob, but that was the result of the range limitations established by the devs...anyone wanting the all important buffs and heals needs to stay close. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, Westenev.5289 said:

I kinda agree. Buff range is kind of an issue in gw2, and it promotes stacking at the cost of hit and run or front to back strategies.

Just the way buffs work is kind of janky in general. Other games it's a passive button you press once every 30-60 mins. Part of your rotation is just weird to me.

• Like 1

In my opinion the game would be more interactive and fun if we got rid of the boring stack buff mechanic. Some of you prob never played a game any other way , but honestly its liberating. I used to raid heal in another game, and it was far more fun than support in this game to me.  Not only did you have target heals, but aoe raid wide ones too on longer cds so you had to think as a healer. Healers did damage also so they were not only heal bots that thinking went out the window a decade ago. So playing a raid healer in that game was very fun and rewarding. I really wish they would go to a more flexible support system here, allow me to target squad members and also aoe heal. Thats why i dont do support in this game, its just not great.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 1