Why is the Expansion more expensive for EU-players than for US-players?

As the title says, the expansion is more expensive in the EU than in the US. EU players are asked to pay around 15% more than US players. Is there an explanation why?

To go more into the details: The expansions costs in the standard version $29.99 in the US and 29.99€ in Europe. 1€ has currently the value of $1.1807 (ECB reference exchange rates as of today). Thus, the US-Dollar is worth less than the Euro. To be precise, the game would have to cost around 25€ if we base everything on the US-Dollar price or around $35 if we base everything on the Euro price. The difference in value increases for more expensive versions.

• Like 3

Because corporations think that Gamers = stupid, so they won't notice as long as the number is the same.

Additionally, pricing products based on the average income of a certain area of the world is rather common. A person in the EU earns more money on average? Wouldn't it be a shame NOT to tap into this?

Imho a pretty filthy practice, thats been around for very, very long. I am inclined not to be too upset about this in regard to EoD, because 30€ is (hopefully, based on the content) still a good deal. Still worth calling out though.

• Like 2

Comparing the price of an item in two very different economies is challenged. We know there are many regional laws and regulations that products must follow to be sold, including taxes and tariffs on physical or digital media.  Many of these levies or taxes we don’t see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gloflop.3510 said:

As the title says, the expansion is more expensive in the EU than in the US. EU players are asked to pay around 15% more than US players. Is there an explanation why?

To go more into the details: The expansions costs in the standard version $29.99 in the US and 29.99€ in Europe. 1€ has currently the value of $1.1807 (ECB reference exchange rates as of today). Thus, the US-Dollar is worth less than the Euro. To be precise, the game would have to cost around 25€ if we base everything on the US-Dollar price or around $35 if we base everything on the Euro price. The difference in value increases for more expensive versions.

''these european fools wont even notice''

21 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

Whatever the price times 1.26. So 126%  

I think that we two are misunderstanding each other. If the price in Canadian Dollars is 1.26x29.99 (=37.79), then you will pay the same price as a US-player. A EU-player however does not pay the same. They pay the equivalent of 35.40 US Dollars.

• Confused 2

Currency conversion alone isn't enough to determine the full price of the item. As others have said, VAT and undisclosed taxes also play on the pricing. 

For UK and EU, the full price needs to be disclosed with full VAT included if I remember correctly. Right now UK players have a price of £25.99 which is about $36, but that's including VAT in the price. Without VAT, the Expac is about £21.60 give or take. 

Value added tax (VAT) will be applied to all digital products sold in the European Union. For a list of the countries to which this tax will apply, click here.

So my take is they have to raise the price on EU to get a similar income they would perceive on NA. Actually let's do the math:

I pre-order the Ultimate version for 79,99€ (I assume it cost 79,99$ on NA).

Of that price, 13,88€ are taxes, so the Ultimate expansion itself cost 66,11€

According to google, 66,11€ = 78,31$

So there you have your answer: taxes. I don't know how taxes work on NA so maybe I'm making a huge mistake, but with those numbers it seems to make sense. Blame EU, not Anet.

Edited by Telgum.6071

3 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Value added tax (VAT) will be applied to all digital products sold in the European Union. For a list of the countries to which this tax will apply, click here.

So my take is they have to raise the price on EU to get a similar income they would perceive on NA. Actually let's do the math:

I pre-order the Ultimate version for 79,99€ (I assume it cost 79,99$ on NA).

Of that price, 13,88€ are taxes, so the Ultimate expansion itself cost 66,11€

According to google, 66,11€ = 78,31$

So there you have your answer: taxes. I don't know how taxes work on NA so maybe I'm making a huge mistake, but with those numbers it seems to make sense. Blame EU, not Anet.

For the US taxes are shown after, each state has its own tax, and some have none. Paid 86$ US after tax.

• Like 2

"1€ has currently the value of $1.1807" 

the difference is meaningless (18%). in my country 1 USD is 6x more expensive. the deluxe version cost 1/4 of a mininum wage here!. luckly im relatively  "rich" and really i dont care about prices.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

You cant blame anet, they set the standard price, its your countries taxes that make the difference. They would have to sell you the expansion lower than the standard price in order to equal what the US pays, because your governments are charging more for goods than here. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gloflop.3510 said:

I think that we two are misunderstanding each other. If the price in Canadian Dollars is 1.26x29.99 (=37.79), then you will pay the same price as a US-player. A EU-player however does not pay the same. They pay the equivalent of 35.40 US Dollars.

For that you need to use buying power. Not currency exchange.

Say i earn 100 cad a month, Lb of  bananas cost 5 cad

Yiu earn 100 euro a month, Lbnof banana cost 5 euro

Inthis case we could that if above statement are true, euro and cad buying power are roughly the same despite one euro might worth 2 cad

Are you forgetting the taxes that are added after agreeing to the purchase price in the US?  Some states are near 10%. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Are you forgetting the taxes that are added after agreeing to the purchase price in the US?  Some states are near 10%. 

This.  In the US taxes are added during check out.  That rate varies by state.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892

22 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

This.  In the US taxes are added during check out.  That rate varies by state.

25 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It doesnt support the anger. Even explained the price was due to vats being added to the total price in the first four response, and well..the thread kept on going. 😕

looks like that's the round off price as if the game is sold old school, like boxed and DvDs. with that setup, you need to transport that to EU, clear taxes/tariffs, inventory that in game stores there. the difference covers what i said, i think..

Edited by alcopaul.2156

To compare prices based solely on speculative-driven currency exchange rates is fallacious.  You really need to look at the entire economic picture and compare cross-regional purchasing power using an international standard controlling for inflation.  Per capita GDP plus other intangibles will account for wealth inequality, which the sources below do account for.

Sources:

International Comparison Program, World Bank

World Development Indicators database, World Bank

Eurostat-OECD PPP Programme

International Monetary Fund, International Financial Statistics

Price level ratio of PPP conversion factor (GDP) to market exchange rate

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/PA.NUS.PPPC.RF?locations=EU-US-CA-DE-FR-DK-ES-IT-AU&start=2020&end=2020&view=bar

Real effective exchange rate index (2010 = 100)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/PX.REX.REER?locations=EU-US-CA-DE-FR-DK-ES-IT-AU&start=2020&end=2020&view=bar

PPP conversion factor, GDP (LCU per international $)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/PA.NUS.PPP?locations=EU-US-CA-DE-FR-DK-ES-IT-AU&start=2020&end=2020&view=bar

PPP conversion factor, private consumption (LCU per international $)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/PA.NUS.PRVT.PP?locations=EU-US-CA-DE-FR-DK-ES-IT-AU&start=2020&end=2020&view=bar

Included for regression purposes:

GDP per capita, PPP (current international $)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD?locations=EU-US-CA-AU-DE-FR-ES-IT-DK&start=2019&end=2019&view=bar

Conclusion:

Purchasing power is better in most of the Eurozone than the US.  Denmark is an extreme outlier (what is going on with your economy?)

Canada is is currently in an odd spot as well.  Needs more analysis to see if there is a worthy complaint for the price of a video game.

Australia is close in parity with the US.

The price of the game in Europe is fine.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 1