Make unidentified gear unsalvageable

When it became a thing for PoF it was a nice change from getting your inventory stuffed from Dragon's Stand. It was pretty great at the time but now we've got so much, and now it's a huge pain if you do multiple world bosses and metas.  Honestly there's a whole conversation to be had about the whole reward system needing a rework but the simple option of making unidentified gear salvageable is a good band-aid. Make it a toggle, an option if it's an issue, but as it stands I'm just hoarding them and then putting them in my bank and opening them 25 at a time. Why you need to do this is because you can get a bonus rare, so you're not going to just salvage 80 of these things you got in an hour because the two rares are probably worth more than the whole 80. What's probably easier is just to remove the rarity bonus, increase rare unid loot and call it a day.

Realistically though you should get rid of all 80 worthless greens and turn it into some sort of reward system that actually feels good. It doesn't even need to be complicated, make it turn into a universal currency that can be used on basically any other currency. Scale it how you need them to be worth.

Anyway, there's nothing fun about it and getting 10 vs 100 worthless items isn't going to change how worthless they feel

P.S. For the salvage kits/gem store stuff it just means there needs to be rewards worth making them worthwhile

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

I don't know about "worthless". Every blue or green piece of equipment I get gets me one step closer towards my next crafting project. For me this game's reward system is miles above what I've experienced in other MMOs, where most drops really were worthless and you would have to wait for rng to favor you to get the rewards you want.

As for making unidentified gear non-salvagable, that's kind of counter-productive. I know people that actually prefer to salvage their drops on the fly (and accept that they won't get any higher drops from them) to avoid the hassle of having to deal with unpacking and salvaging manually. If you are afraid of accidentally salvaging them when you don't want to, reserve 3 spots in an invisible bag (or even in shared bag slots if you have enough of those) and just let them pile up in there until you are ready to open them.

• Like 2

I always open them rather than salvaging right away, but if they wanted to make it unsalvagable I think it should definitely be an option you can turn on or off, because I know for a lot of people the ability to salvage a whole stack in one go is the main benefit of unidentified gear.

As it is I solve the problem by giving each character an invisible bag. Unidentified gear and anything else I'm worried I might accidentally salvage or sell goes in there. Then I sort it all out when it's convenient for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azure Prower.8701 said:

Guild Wars 2 always had a problem with junk filling up your bags, and also bags filling up your bags. All the clicking to just clean out your bags after just an hour of game play. My god, it's awful.

I always gotta point it out but a lot of us on the forums who play actually can deal with it, it's gotta be too overwhelming for new players at a certain point. FFXIV is doing really well right now because of how straightforward it is. You get gil, that's it, that's the big currency. Might sound ridiculous but GW2 needs a not-gold currency for everything. Farm one map or another you get the same thing elsewhere. Keep it simple stupid.

There's just so many things that can be done that won't be, and it'll result in frustration, stagnation and players dejected over a long grind after being promised this game doesn't do that. Then they just quit, I know I have

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

I always gotta point it out but a lot of us on the forums who play actually can deal with it, it's gotta be too overwhelming for new players at a certain point. FFXIV is doing really well right now because of how straightforward it is. You get gil, that's it, that's the big currency. Might sound ridiculous but GW2 needs a not-gold currency for everything. Farm one map or another you get the same thing elsewhere. Keep it simple stupid.

There's just so many things that can be done that won't be, and it'll result in frustration, stagnation and players dejected over a long grind after being promised this game doesn't do that. Then they just quit, I know I have

Yeah. People have already quit Guild Wars 2 en mass already it seems. Returned, only to find how bleak things are here. And previous issues that continue to hinder the game to this day are not helping.

One of the things that burnt me out as a vet, was the excessive inventory management here.

Edited by Azure Prower.8701
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Not that we don't have two universal currencies, but if every map only provided the one (or two) universal currencies, what would make players play on any but the most profitable map?  Why would the Devs create any new maps, unless that map was more profitable than the current most profitable, rendering the former most profitable map obsolete? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Azure Prower.8701 said:

Yeah. People have already quit Guild Wars 2 en mass already it seems. Returned, only to find how bleak things are here. And previous issues that continue to hinder the game to this day are not helping.

One of the things that burnt me out as a vet, was the excessive inventory management here.

This is pretty much how it is and how I feel, been here since beta and GW1

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

All these currencies are way out of hand, and what for?  To force people to play certain maps?  Same with all the different kinds of magic, it's kitten.  Sorry dev's but it's not fun or interesting, it's another frustration pill.

You see loot drops are boring and restrictive not because of the quantity but the items themselves.  They really need to shake it up seeing how all of us spend most of our game time chasing loot of one sort or another.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

All these currencies are way out of hand, and what for?  To force people to play certain maps?  Same with all the different kinds of magic, it's kitten.  Sorry dev's but it's not fun or interesting, it's another frustration pill.

You see loot drops are boring and restrictive not because of the quantity but the items themselves.  They really need to shake it up seeing how all of us spend most of our game time chasing loot of one sort or another.

They literally have years of content to sell to people if they figure it out

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

The mats you get out of unids are fine, you can even minmax it by opening the uids with a lvl60or so character i guess.

If you have a hard time salvaging, just put what you don't want to salvage in am invisible bag.

Dont work on unids on everything else sure like masterwork bags etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Dont work on unids on everything else sure like masterwork bags etc.

I was gonna ask..cause ive yet to get leveled gear out of unid gear

Also i wish they would fully go to unid gear for everything except ascended drops.

White(free to id) -contains all junk loot, along with the salvageable drops.

Exotic(same price as rares or maybe a little more.) All exotic weapons/amor/infusions.

Those would make inventory managment aloooot better.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Also i wish they would fully go to unid gear for everything except ascended drops.

Exotic(same price as rares or maybe a little more.) All exotic weapons/amor/infusions.

Yea I agree with that mate.

46 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

All unidentified gear is free to ID already, you just double click it or right-click it and select 'open all'.

Also this might make inventory management better for people who like to have as few items in their bags as possible (especially the ones who just salvage or sell whole stacks instead of opening them) but I think it would make things worse for the people who are annoyed by the amount of clicking involved in opening everything because then effectively all loot is inside a container of some sort, so there's even more to open.

I think it would be a bad idea. I know a lot of players who are happy to salvage Unidentified Gear without identifying it.

If you have little space and lots of U. Gear to salvage simply add an invisible bag at the bottom slot, put the U G in there, ALT+DragAndDrop the amount of gear you want to identify, right click and identify the new stack and salvage them from blues to rare right clicking the appropriate salvage kit.

Basic or Copper Fed -> Salvage all blue and white rarity

Runecrafter -> Salvage all green ones with an upgrade on them (sigils or runes)

Master or Silver Fed -> Salvage all rare or exotic gear

Sometime exotics can be worth selling at the TP if their value is more than 50 silver, especially weapons, because they can be used for Precursor fishing gamble at the Mystic Forge, this is how I got my Dusk.

Edited by Touchme.1097

21 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

All unidentified gear is free to ID already, you just double click it or right-click it and select 'open all'.

Also this might make inventory management better for people who like to have as few items in their bags as possible (especially the ones who just salvage or sell whole stacks instead of opening them) but I think it would make things worse for the people who are annoyed by the amount of clicking involved in opening everything because then effectively all loot is inside a container of some sort, so there's even more to open.

Not gonna lie, i forgot it was free, thats my bad.

And with the use all button its not to bad. But imo "containers" are better than an inventory filled with "stuff". i can open containers anytime, i have to get rid of "stuff" way more frequently.

25 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

I think it would be a bad idea. I know a lot of players who are happy to salvage Unidentified Gear without identifying it.

They might not know they are losing out on doing that. Doubly. Not only they miss out on a chance of getting a higher rarity gear out of it, but they also skip on chance to salvage sigils/runes.

• Like 1

I don't get this suggestion: what kind of 'feel good' reward do you think you should get from a common gear drop? That really doesn't make much sense. If inventory clutter, etc is a problem for you, you can sell your bags too. Anet has put enough options in there to address these things, including salvaging the UID gear... so no I don't think we should take that away. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

Huge discussion for something trivial.

Use a invisible slot bag, and let pile up there, easy and simple. Items here  don't appear on salvage list.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/20_Slot_Invisible_Bag

for years i wondered why someone would use these special bags, now i finally understand.

basically the solution that already exists is even better, because its works not only for salvage bags, but for anything u put here.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

I address my UnID gear bags at the end of every session:

1. Open all blue bags
  2. Salvage all blue and lower
  3. Deposit all
  4. Open all green bags
  5. Salvage all leather armor and reclaimed weapons
  6. Deposit all
  7. Mystic Forge all weapons until you have less than 4 green remaining
  8. Mystic Forge all armor until you have less than 4 green remaining
  9. Open all yellow bags
  10. Salvage all rare/exotic armor for Ecto (unless sell value on TP is over 2g)
  11. Deposit all
  12. Mystic Forge all rare/exotic weapons (unless sell value on TP is over 2g)
  13. Use or sell any Precursors

The whole process takes about 5 minutes and gives me a clean inventory for the next session while also converting my loot into gold at a decent, low effort rate.

• Like 2

In my opinion, I like the current system much better than having each drop be a distinct item. I have a shared inventory slot for the blues, greens and yellows. Once the greens get into the 200-250 range, I hang near a merchant, open all the bags, salvage the items that aren't precursors  and then deposit all the materials and precursors into the bank. (At least one part of the previous sentence was wishful thinking) 

Inventory can be a big pain, but since I finally got Mawdrey II I was able to make a dent in the 40,000 bloodstone dust I had somehow accumulated.

• Like 2