Guardian Elite Spec: WILLBENDER

ChronoPinoyX.7923

19 minutes ago, Dschromm.2946 said:

Congratulations. Guardians will have the game all to themselves from now on. Jeez, again they get everything but better...

their trait line has almost zero synergy with other trait lines or are just sidegrades where you gain some lose more so not really

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Id rather use meditations than physicals personally

well have you seen cooldowns on physicals?

but yeah as it is, I don't know which one of those three is more broken - willbender for sure did 180 degrees turn in mobility, turning from least mobile class in the game, to class with the most mobile espec - and big chunk of it does not require target to do their thing, meaning that disengage ability has skyrocketed, from 0 to very strong. I will need to spend more time with that traitline to make any judgement on that one, but so far it indeed does not seem to synergize with anything outside espec at first glance. I like the tradeoffs everywhere (no virtue passives, and alot of trates being tradeoffs as well, I didn't caught if those virtue stance-but-not-stance is something that sticks untill swapped to other one, or if it's timed, or a bit of both)

15s stunbreak is probably first one to get nerfed btw.

This is worse than i thought. Don't get me wrong, animation are flashy and the concept is fine, but think how this will actualize in the game: In PvE you are afk until you can press f1 and burst with gs and the new whirly thing, so same exact thing as dh with the whirl instead of the trap, in wvw blobs it's going to be useless since it's all meelee with very short range. It's only going to be good in pvp where you'll play as something in between a rev and a thief, so it's gonna be obnoxious as hell to play against with all that mobility, but hey i guess for once we get to be the real aids in that gamemode, so karma for all the people who kept complaining about the punching bag guards have been until now there. Also there's not a single condition cleanse in the entire set, so you are forced into the resitance trait, and for damaging conditions...i guess you have the 40 cd meditation, or you can stand inside purging flames XD

• Like 1

I'm still not into all the punching but I overall like how Willbender fills the mobility niche on Guardian. I also enjoy how they changed Virtues because in many scenarios you'd rather keep the passives running to utilize, for example, Permeathing Wrath. This might bring some currently underused traits to the front. I do like OH Sw but I'm very unsure which weapon set I'd pair with it. Utilities look fine, I guess. Mostly sidegrades imho which is fine.

Now, Willbender traits. I do like the overall approach of gaining 'more' for giving up something else. But other than enhancing the more active Virtue play, they don't really do much. It's not as bad as with Virtuoso, but it's probably the least exciting part of the e-spec. The only one that stands out is Deathless Courage and we will have to see if this is actually practical.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

Well you cant use most utili3since you need the condi cleanse, a stun break. So u got only 1 utility slot.  The healing skill seems to be good,  but if it has obvious animation and people can counterplay it,  healing is kitten. 

Well 2.5k heal on two charges isn't even bad if you consider the guard hp pool and how much the other heal skills suck., also the physical stunbreak seems very good on that cd. But yeah you are forced to get contemplation of purity, which is a 40 sec cd stunbreak+cleanse.

13 minutes ago, Kanto.2485 said:

Well 2.5k heal on two charges isn't even bad if you consider the guard hp pool and how much the other heal skills suck., also the physical stunbreak seems very good on that cd. But yeah you are forced to get contemplation of purity, which is a 40 sec cd stunbreak+cleanse.

yup guardian elite doesent have any condi cleanse or something, its all about stuns....and all other classes have at least 1 stunbreaker, i dont know, i feel its kinda luckluster spec especially that grandmaster traits, you dont know which one is worse - losing insta heal or aegis....

• Confused 1

As far as gameplay goes, this is just Assassin/Monk from GW1. Not sure how I feel about what they offer on the GM trait lines and the fact that they're offering that 1HP for 4 seconds is literally Shadowform build all over again, but even worse by comparison.

Still, I enjoy the overall playstyle, I'll defo try it out cuz it feels like they had Almorra's boss fight in mind when they did this E-Spec. Lots of fire, lots of dashing around. 

12 minutes ago, Bealis.6023 said:

Will-bend personal space 🙂

I would like to know how main guard players feel about the traits though. Speed, trade offs and virtues effectiveness, there doesnt seem to be much fun in it for making a build, but I know its subjective...

I think it's terrible in general for anything that isn't pvp, and even there i'm worried about condition pressure since it literally only has resistance to deal with it, and we saw what that did to mallyx rev with recent changes... Like, 240 concentration for reduced support that the build doesn't have anyway, -240 toughness on a class with 11k base hp, 240 healing power for reduced healing to allies that you do not have just doesn't make any sense. The only trait that looks god is the virtues cdr one.

Edit:the virtue cdr thing is together with the resistance trait, so that's also a no XD

Edited by Kanto.2485
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Makes thief look bad to be honest. I think the teleports are excessive, it should have been leaps or something.

Also why is Berserker -300 toughness for everyone while it is -240 on Power for Power that is not even a forced trait?

It is honestly the better approach, and I hope that they roll that into  some of the other especs when the do the EoD prepatch balances.

52 minutes ago, Bealis.6023 said:

I would like to know how main guard players feel about the traits though.

It seems to sacrifice a lot to have 25-33% uptime on "I cant be downed". 

I dont see myself doing much with it outside running around, its anti-utility makes it really not good for anything organized. 

But some of them are just ?

You have less group healing!  (How exactly am i healing anyone else with what you previewed?)

You have less group buffing! 

selfish everything, wooo

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kanto.2485 said:

I think it's terrible in general for anything that isn't pvp, and even there i'm worried about condition pressure since it literally only has resistance to deal with it, and we saw what that did to mallyx rev with recent changes... Like, 240 concentration for reduced support that the build doesn't have anyway, -240 toughness on a class with 11k base hp, 240 healing power for reduced healing to allies that you do not have just doesn't make any sense. The only trait that looks god is the virtues cdr one.

Edit:the virtue cdr thing is together with the resistance trait, so that's also a no XD

Ur right, all those adept traits are such a hassle. They want to make the spec an assassin "selfish" type, which might be fine on some level, but I cant think of a good combination with other trait lines. Maybe trying to go heavy on boons, but that sketchy so far 🤔