Balance Update June 2020 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Balance Update June 2020

snoow.1694snoow.1694 Member ✭✭
edited May 16, 2020 in PVP

I was under the impression that balance updates were announced to happen regularly. That‘s why I am a little confused about why we still haven‘t received any informations until now. I mean, condition damage makes playing normally impossible at the moment, the same 3 classes (Nec, Rev & Engi) dominate sPvP for 4 or 5 years now and I really thought last patch was a step in the right direction. That‘s why it is even more important to follow up with new balance updates after the last big one.

Comments

• Avatar.3568Avatar.3568 Member ✭✭✭

We got some balance patches since big patch, they said every 6 weeks we get something, in 3 days the season ends, probably we will get then some Infos

• Aihao.5824Aihao.5824 Member ✭✭

i hope they would fix this bunkermeta, rly fed up with this kitten. i have to play properly with minimum of mistakes, while bunkeridiot does his faceroll and does more damage than me.
    If i want some roam/dps i sacrifice damage and survivability, bunkers has both of that. I'd like to add some punishing mechs versus them, such a dumb kitten here, game lost sustain, its no reason to choose between berserker or marauder, who cares, if there's no changes with ur damage. Pvp now is a torture, its about more ppl to leave this game mode, ur auto dmg is around 200-300, kitten ridiculous

• Kuma.1503Kuma.1503 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

We got a balance patch just last month where Ranger, Necro, Engi, and Ele got addressed. They also ended up removing tanky amulets.

Anet has been keeping to their promise so far. Be patient, there should be a new patch coming up shortly.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nerf mesmer because its mesmer, nerf tank 18k dmg fear necro and buff thief

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

I did expect a balance patch this week since they patch the game every two weeks and we got no content update this week. Maybe the EU server issue caused them to cancel the patch. I don't know.

We can expect to get the delayed patch of this week in the next week or on june the 9th (two weeks after the next episode update) as they usually don't combine balance patches with content updates.

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

Word on the street is that there was meant to be another pretty hefty patch coming but the higher ups don't want a big patch making the zoomers cry about longer cool downs and having to think tactically.

This would delay a planned patch as it has to be revised in scope and keep essential changes and have a staged roll out.

• AngelLovesFredrik.6741AngelLovesFredrik.6741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Buran.3796 said:

@snoow.1694 said:
    I mean, condition damage makes playing normally impossible at the moment, the same 3 classes (Nec, Rev & Engi) dominate sPvP for 4 or 5 years now and I really thought last patch was a step in the right direction. That‘s why it is even more important to follow up with new balance updates after the last big one.

Scourge had a great ride at the release of PoF but in the second year faded away; has been years since the last time that core necro had presence in PvP. And if I can play power Rev with berserker amulet in ranked anyone should do the same with any class and at least a few builds.

In fact I think that we hadn't so much build variety in years; I did use 5 diffrente builds with only two different classes this season 20 and in the past 2 vs 2 mini-season my build was also different. When was the last time we had condi Rangers or Thieves, Renegades using short bow, oer even Tempest playing around? You didn't even mentioned Guardians, and I saw at least 3-4 different builds from that class doing decently at both ranked and AT.

The difference between berserker herald and other classes is that herald still sits on 18.5k hp and has a lot of tools to avoid incoming damage. Something which isn't a reality for other classes.

~ God Tier Guardian

• Allarius.5670Allarius.5670 Member ✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:
    Word on the street is that there was meant to be another pretty hefty patch coming but the higher ups don't want a big patch making the zoomers cry about longer cool downs and having to think tactically.

This would delay a planned patch as it has to be revised in scope and keep essential changes and have a staged roll out.

Could you elaborate a bit more?

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Allarius.5670 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

Not without getting into the who's and what's which would likely get deleted. Essentially the rumour is the last patch we had was supposed to be much bigger. Now what they were doing I've only heard bits and bats but I know condi thief, burn guard and bunker renegade are getting hit specifically soon tm.

• Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

@AngelLovesFredrik.6741 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

@snoow.1694 said:
    I mean, condition damage makes playing normally impossible at the moment, the same 3 classes (Nec, Rev & Engi) dominate sPvP for 4 or 5 years now and I really thought last patch was a step in the right direction. That‘s why it is even more important to follow up with new balance updates after the last big one.

Scourge had a great ride at the release of PoF but in the second year faded away; has been years since the last time that core necro had presence in PvP. And if I can play power Rev with berserker amulet in ranked anyone should do the same with any class and at least a few builds.

In fact I think that we hadn't so much build variety in years; I did use 5 diffrente builds with only two different classes this season 20 and in the past 2 vs 2 mini-season my build was also different. When was the last time we had condi Rangers or Thieves, Renegades using short bow, oer even Tempest playing around? You didn't even mentioned Guardians, and I saw at least 3-4 different builds from that class doing decently at both ranked and AT.

The difference between berserker herald and other classes is that herald still sits on 18.5k hp and has a lot of tools to avoid incoming damage. Something which isn't a reality for other classes.

But Ranger has plenty of ranged damage to pressure targets and kill them while playing outside the control point areas filled with AoEs, the same as the Deadeye or DP Thieves (which play a hit and run). Mesmers also doesn't need to stay at melee range to do their job. So we have a fair amount of builds which tank and spam AoEs while not being much mobile, but also a good chunck of classes which can move fast around the map and poke at range or burst and disengage, decap uncontested nodes or get the map buffs while the bunkers slowly fight each others at middle. Before February, the problem was just the opposite: huge spike burst, half of a team downed in 30 seconds and the winning ones snowballing the map winning in 5 minutes after a 4 minutes queue. The current state, with the slower pace, the build variety and the balance between "yes I normally can tank damage but still I can die fast if I got cc chained" is way better.

• choovanski.5462choovanski.5462 Member ✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:

@Allarius.5670 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

Not without getting into the who's and what's which would likely get deleted. Essentially the rumour is the last patch we had was supposed to be much bigger. Now what they were doing I've only heard bits and bats but I know condi thief, burn guard and bunker renegade are getting hit specifically soon tm.

yeah, I heard some similar things. along with some exciting things for off season. looking pretty good tbh

It's coming for me through the trees
    Help me someone
    Help me please
    Take my shoes off and throw them in the lake

• Khalisto.5780Khalisto.5780 Member ✭✭✭✭

that was the schedule witohout covid

i think they would have landed and by now condi wouldn't be so dominant

• hotte in space.2158hotte in space.2158 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

1) Power rev is too strong and condi rev is just ridiculous. Braindead sustain+high damage+good mobility.
    No balancing/hotfix for 3 months now, great job dev team^^
    2) Necro the same. High sustain+high damage. Has access to perma swiftness and fear needs to get nerfed too.
    3) Condi thief should not run around like this. After years, stealth still seems to be the only spamable ability. Why?
    4) Except guards, nearly all classes have too much mobility.
    5) Overpowered classes affect unbalanced matchmaking.
    6) Only good thing about op classes is, that many players dont know how to play it to the max.

There are other issues as well, but these are most obvious ones. I always defended the new dev team, but I start asking myself now,
    if they even want a balanced PvP mode at all. Although PvP improved pretty much, compared to times of powercreep,
    generating hopes and then disappointing people is a bad thing ! ! !

• Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hotte in space.2158 said:
    1) Power rev is too strong and condi rev is just ridiculous. Braundead sustain+high damage+good mobility.
    2) Necro the same. High sustain+high damage. Has access to perma swiftness and fear needs to get nerfed too.
    3) Condi thief should not run around like this. After years, stealth still seems to be the only spamable ability. Why?

There are other issues as well, but these are most obvious ones. I always defended the new dev team, but I start asking myself now,
    if they even want a balanced PvP mode. Although PvP improved pretty much, compared to times of powercreep,
    Generating hopes and then disappointing people is a bad thing ! ! !

ill give it 1-2 more patches, im running out of will tbh.
    nothing getting fixed, and no effort whatsoever

• omgdracula.6345omgdracula.6345 Member ✭✭✭

1) Power rev is too strong and condi rev is just ridiculous. Braindead sustain+high damage+good mobility.
    6) Only good thing about op classes is, that many players dont know how to play it to the max.

if they even want a balanced PvP mode at all. Although PvP improved pretty much, compared to times of powercreep,

Condi thief doesn't have spammable stealth. Where do people get this from?

• fumcheg.1936fumcheg.1936 Member ✭✭

@saerni.2584 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

Probably because, to them, any thief that uses stealth more than once in a fight is “spamming it.” Also known as “a thief who is still alive and contributes to their team by not being dead.”

And a piece of nonsense like this one calls into question the rest of the list.

• Aihao.5824Aihao.5824 Member ✭✭

i dont think that nerfing all classes is a good way, just buff them. If nerfs will be for all, so pvp will be a battle of disabled

• Lighter.5631Lighter.5631 Member ✭✭✭✭

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

that's not spam.

in gaming terms, you are way off from the meaning.

• RUNICBLACK.7630RUNICBLACK.7630 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

Started to add to this but after consideration realized it wasn't worth the time being as its just another rant post.

Life before Death
    Strength before Weakness
    Journey before Destination
    stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal_Words

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@saerni.2584 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

Probably because, to them, any thief that uses stealth more than once in a fight is “spamming it.” Also known as “a thief who is still alive and contributes to their team by not being dead.”

This here is the reason I don-t want to play this game. Nonsense nerfs that kill classes and ANET listening to them.

If people had their way Necro would simply be a dummy unable to move unable to attack and simply dies and gives free kills so people can feel good condi thieves would be useless as well and revs too.

Personally i hope anet doesn-t listen to these kind of people.

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

Well P/D rotation after steal is usually going to be Shadow Strike followed by repeater which is 6 initiative. So out of 15 initiative that leaves them with 9. That is provided they hit their shadow strike, and also dont use dancing dagger. At best they can use it once IF IT HITS for a lousy 3 seconds of steal which they will make use out of with sneak attack which debuffs them with reveal and leaves them with little to 0 initiative.

BUT WAIT IF SHADOW STRIKE HITS ARENT THEY OUT OF MELEE RANGE?

WHY YES THEY ARE! Which renders CnD completely useless as a way to access stealth.

TL;DR you are so hilariously wrong.

• Lighter.5631Lighter.5631 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

Well P/D rotation after steal is usually going to be Shadow Strike followed by repeater which is 6 initiative. So out of 15 initiative that leaves them with 9. That is provided they hit their shadow strike, and also dont use dancing dagger. At best they can use it once IF IT HITS for a lousy 3 seconds of steal which they will make use out of with sneak attack which debuffs them with reveal and leaves them with little to 0 initiative.

WHY YES THEY ARE! Which renders CnD completely useless as a way to access stealth.

...i don't need you to teach me how to p/d thief

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

Duh. Nobody needs to teach anybody how to p/d thief, because it's one of the easiest thief builds to play.

But he's still correct, that's not a stealth spam.

• CutesySylveon.8290CutesySylveon.8290 Member ✭✭✭

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@saerni.2584 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

What got me the most was their claims that too many classes BESIDES guardian have too much mobility. Guardian?? Necro is a massive degree slower than guardian so why would they be the baseline when guards have plenty of mobility options??

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

Do teachers and professors not correct their students when they are wrong? I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't inform you.

• GeneralFailure.3402GeneralFailure.3402 Member ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

Duh. Nobody needs to teach anybody how to p/d thief, because it's one of the easiest thief builds to play.

I think P\D is easier than other thief builds even if not focused on conditions. Mainly because it is ranged dps. I don't have to go to melee range and eat all those AoEs on the ground and I can do damage while kiting.
    Stealth spam that's more like Deadeye. Or Dragon hunter or Ranger with trapper rune.

@GeneralFailure.3402 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

I think P\D is easier than other thief builds even if not focused on conditions. Mainly because it is ranged dps. I don't have to go to melee range and eat all those AoEs on the ground and I can do damage while kiting.
    Stealth spam that's more like Deadeye. Or Dragon hunter or Ranger with trapper rune.

And how are you actually goning to do damage if you are not going to go melee range?

• CutesySylveon.8290CutesySylveon.8290 Member ✭✭✭

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

And how are you actually goning to do damage if you are not going to go melee range?

I think they mean they don't have to be primarily in melee range. Once you hit shadowstrike, you don't have to get up close and worry about dying to all the AoE while repeater is available.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

I think they mean they don't have to be primarily in melee range. Once you hit shadowstrike, you don't have to get up close and worry about dying to all the AoE while repeater is available.

Well yes, those 4 seconds of happiness...

edited May 19, 2020

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about here, are you trying to say that p/d somehow doesn't predominantly/easly deal dmg from range just because it's "gated" behind a single melee attack that sends you away from your target? Or what exactly is the point of your sarcastic "4 seconds of happiness"? I just don't understand.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

anets balancing strategy has already been exposed, if you want to know what the patch note will look like then have a look at the nerf and buff threads in this forum.

Te lazla otstara.

• saerni.2584saerni.2584 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sobx.1758 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about here, are you trying to say that p/d somehow doesn't predominantly/easly deal dmg from range just because it's "gated" behind a single melee attack that sends you away from your target? Or what exactly is the point of your sarcastic "4 seconds of happiness"? I just don't understand.

I think his point was you then need to get back into melee range to keep up your ranged pressure from Repeater or to Cloak and Dagger in order to get a Sneak Attack. Otherwise for damage it’s autoattack (not really all that high damage) or Dancing Dagger, which really needs to be under 600 range to hit consistently.

Ranged is easier in GW2 insofar as it tracks targets in most cases and has consistent pressure. Ranged is harder in that you can LoS projectiles or even just move sideways and some slower projectiles will miss. In that sense I will disagree with your assertion that P/D is easy merely because it is ranged.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
    Deadeye (Thief)
    Commandant of P/D and Apex Predator

edited May 19, 2020

@saerni.2584 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

I think his point was you then need to get back into melee range to keep up your ranged pressure from Repeater or to Cloak and Dagger in order to get a Sneak Attack. Otherwise for damage it’s autoattack (not really all that high damage) or Dancing Dagger, which really needs to be under 600 range to hit consistently.

Ranged is easier in GW2 insofar as it tracks targets in most cases and has consistent pressure. Ranged is harder in that you can LoS projectiles or even just move sideways and some slower projectiles will miss. In that sense I will disagree with your assertion that P/D is easy merely because it is ranged.

You can't disagree with "my assertion that P/D is easy merely because it is ranged", because I didn't say that.
    And if his sarcasm was directed at the fact that you need to momentarily be up close just to shadowstep back and then deal dmg at range, then that's a pretty weak point, but k. Sure, it's not p/p 3spam, but that doesn't change what the person he answered to said. It is safer and easier to play than most of the other thief builds.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@saerni.2584 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

You can't disagree with "my assertion that P/D is easy merely because it is ranged", because I didn't say that.
    And if his sarcasm was directed at the fact that you need to momentarily be up close just to shadowstep back and then deal dmg at range, then that's a pretty weak point, but k. Sure, it's not p/p 3spam, but that doesn't change what the person he answered to said. It is safer and easier to play than most of the other thief builds.

The point is, unless you have them porting in with Signet or Steal, you will see them coming into melee range. Block it, kite it, whatever. If you don’t want them using Repeater you can generally stop them from doing so.

And if you want you can save an interrupt and use it when they start their 1.25 second channel per Repeater. Spamming Repeater just isn’t a good strategy.

I’ve killed a lot of people running P/D. They fail against projectile denial. They generally don’t do well when you kite them. Most importantly they are extremely vulnerable to counter pressure once they land Shadowstrike and are locked out of their teleport for several seconds and are doing long channels at 600 range.

This isn’t some range one shot burst from 1300 range. This is slower and at 600. If they kill you there are things that can be done to improve and beat them.

Deadeye (Thief)

edited May 19, 2020

@saerni.2584 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@saerni.2584 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@fumcheg.1936 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

@omgdracula.6345 said:

..dagger 5

The point is, unless you have them porting in with Signet or Steal, you will see them coming into melee range. Block it, kite it, whatever. If you don’t want them using Repeater you can generally stop them from doing so.

And if you want you can save an interrupt and use it when they start their 1.25 second channel per Repeater. Spamming Repeater just isn’t a good strategy.

I’ve killed a lot of people running P/D. They fail against projectile denial. They generally don’t do well when you kite them. Most importantly they are extremely vulnerable to counter pressure once they land Shadowstrike and are locked out of their teleport for several seconds and are doing long channels at 600 range.

This isn’t some range one shot burst from 1300 range. This is slower and at 600. If they kill you there are things that can be done to improve and beat them.

I never said there's nothing to do about p/d thief. Do you think I'm arguing for a nerf here or something? I think you've lost context, maybe reread the chain again or something, because your answer seems just "a bit" disconnected to me.

I think I read several posts and conflated them...lol.

I reread and I think your point was damage at range is possible for a ranged weapon...which I agree with. But I also think if people are worried about significant damage, you are looking at Shadowstrike from melee range, repeatedly. Also, likely with venoms which I’ve posted several times are the actual issue with “spike condi.”

I dislike, not aimed at you here, people generally attributing the problem to P/D when all their complaints mention venoms or thieves guild. It’s easy to press two buttons and share up to 24 stacks of poison onto a target. That’s the easy part. Not the weapon set they are using to provide cover condi and some additional condi pressure.

Deadeye (Thief)

• snoow.1694snoow.1694 Member ✭✭

The season is over. Does anyone have any updates about possible changes?

• Tharan.9085Tharan.9085 Member ✭✭✭

@snoow.1694 said:
    The season is over. Does anyone have any updates about possible changes?

Ranger pets and condi thief will be nerfed

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020

It will prob be something like:

Bigger initiative cost for renegades on that aoe stun
    Bigger cd on renegade resistance ability.

Because of the complaints about rangers, pets now at 0.2 or something

Warriors get some really small buff but probably won't help much

Necros get a massive nerf to sustain by nerfing how much carapace can go out.
    Dmg on reaper shroud scythe 1 and the 3rd attack gets hit with the nerf bat, destroying reaper.

What else ah yes probably some nerf to thief regarding stealth

Thunder rod from eles gets nerfed from to it no longer stuns and bigger cd 60 sec.

Hopefully they don't implement these kinds of nerfs killing entire classes and gutting entire elite specs.

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020

According to the stream it's only condi thief and ranger pets they will adress/nerf in this patch. It's mainly a content patch. But we will see.

The release of next big balance patch is unknown.

• Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

OP you forgot Guardian.

• TeqkOneStylez.8047TeqkOneStylez.8047 Member ✭✭✭

How about that Firebrand tradeoff though

• Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

good that rev wont get nerfed, we need good players to still play it :D