Something new for WvW.. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Something new for WvW..

Why is no one paying any attention to WvW. The only content WvW gets is a balance patch every once in a while and the rest has been absolutely the same for years. Why instead of making a new pve map there is no room to make a WvW map that can be way smaller in size. Why has there not been added something new such as a king of the hill event, alliance system, different rewarding, a REASON to be willing to win a matchup or fights. People are struggeling for so long to keep it enjoyable but its getting harder as they have been doing it for so long.

I would like to ask you to reconsider making an alliance system or adding a new kind of gamemode implemented into WvW. (with new content i do not mean a "call to war" with a video with some new armor sets that you can obtain after 1 day of playing the game. I mean actual gameplay content, just ask the WvW community what they want :+1: )

<1

Comments

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Better chests rewards. PvP gives gold. There is zero reason to repeat Diamond chest once done, and wvw is dead once people complete it. We need more reason to be there full stop.
    Maybe a boost during the week till reset?

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe post in the WvW forum where this will get more attention from the WvW crowd?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭✭

The Core Swap event was a huge improvement. It added a lot of variety and fun to the game mode and allowed us to create cross-class builds.

The No Downed State events on the other hand lead to a rather disorganized experience. People just entered with highly fragile GC builds. Leading larger groups during those events is not much fun and does not really lead anywere. In addition it is a face-slap towards every class/specialization that utilizes the downed state.

The introduction of the Warclaw worked in terms of attracting non WvW players to the game-mode. But most left or reduced their activity to the absolute minimum (dailies) once the task was done.

Granting boosters like Call of War does lead to slight increases of participants, but mostly helps those who already play the game-mode actively.

Core Swap is definitely a feature that should return to WvW. Either as some temporary event that occures every X weeks/months or as a permanent feature.

In addition, tasks similar to the Warclaw also seem to be useful. The new skin is rather pricey though, that is a lot of gold for a mount most PvE players rarely use at all. I would rather like to see the tasks to be more developed towards long-term-experience and less to grind.

They could add a few reward-tracks that surpass regular PvE methods by a lot, like a path that leads to an acceptable amount of Amalgamated Draconic Lodestones and Stomrcaller Cores.

Another great approach was the option to unlock the new emotes either via the meta-achievement or the Reward Track. Sadly they stopped with that strategy right after Bound by Blood.

Seasonal events could be funny. Gaining WXP counts to certain LW/Expansion exp progression, to help level Masteries on the go.

It could also be interesting to add WvW currencies to vendors. To collect a limited amount of Prophet Crystals per week, limited for each account. Or granting an option to exchance WvW currencies for LW currencies to help with the process of long-term quests. The PvE content would not really suffer from this, but the grind would be less tedious. No raid-currency exchange though, we do not want to weaken that game-mode any further.

Alliances? There is no information, nothing but a SOON (TM) from different people in charge over the past years. No time window, no test-phase, nothing. We get road-maps now, which is a huge improvement. But none of these include the Alliances, although Mike Z. announced it for "the coming months." The Announcement in the Moore Theater in Seattle on the 30th of August 2019. Looking on the calendar ... meh.

The game mode is not dead, just not very popular. The Warclaw showed that the community is helpful and friendly towards players who want to give it a new try. With the right connections and incentives, it might work out.

• Chaarliee.2307Chaarliee.2307 Member ✭✭✭

Relax dude, alliances should come out any day now ...

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2020

@Weert Gilders.6823 said:
    just ask the WvW community what they want :+1: )

That's why we got the mount...oh wait...

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

I'll start holding my breath now!

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

Yep, just around the corner...

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

They are probabely still on the table atleast

• Luc de Lanzac.2160Luc de Lanzac.2160 Member ✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020

not sure if alliances would even be a good thing for wvw tbh. in theory it sounds good, but if that is happening then your content will be reduced to 2-3 raids a week for couple of hours. i wouldnt be surprised if that is the reason why the idea of alliances has been delayed so much. its just a not well thought through idea.

and lets all be honest now. wvw would already be far more popular if anet would finally fix the server issues. its not even needed for big system change or special events. its just annoying as hell if you cant even get your no-castingtime skills through once 2 zone blobs are on a map. ofc everyone who is not dedicated to wvw anyway is losing interest in it.

personally id whish for 2 changes:
    1. to get the server issues fixed
    2. for those players who participated a certain amount of time to get rewarded if you make the first place in a match up. otherwise the entire match up system is just pointless aside from different opponents each week if you are not stuck in t1.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why is no one paying any attention to WvW. The only content WvW gets is a balance patch every once in a while and the rest has been absolutely the same for years.

And this is enough. People different. Referent comm, setups. People a main content.

Why instead of making a new pve map there is no room to make a WvW map

new wvw map is useless. The wvw map is not on list at all. Who worry what color of floor it is ? Most people set minimal graphic setting on wvw, and no one true wvw player not see differences.

king of the hill event

you an do any event inside guild. For that you not need any additional input from anet.

alliance system

I think alliance system is useless thing. Want change server ? - We can do it now, without any alliance.

different rewarding

we have tracks, pips, and great rewards already.

People are struggeling for so long to keep it enjoyable but its getting harder as they have been doing it for so long.

People are not struggeling, If someone bored - is happen no matter have we new balance changes, map or etc.

want solid balance ? - play chess.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

Yeah... In antartica.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

And the table is in their storage unit that they forgot they had.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

But they added a new PVE map with WVW-like mechanics, only instead of fighting other players you fight npcs!

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭✭

A subterranean map ?

• @lare.5129 said:

Why is no one paying any attention to WvW. The only content WvW gets is a balance patch every once in a while and the rest has been absolutely the same for years.

And this is enough. People different. Referent comm, setups. People a main content.

Why instead of making a new pve map there is no room to make a WvW map

new wvw map is useless. The wvw map is not on list at all. Who worry what color of floor it is ? Most people set minimal graphic setting on wvw, and no one true wvw player not see differences.

king of the hill event

you an do any event inside guild. For that you not need any additional input from anet.

alliance system

I think alliance system is useless thing. Want change server ? - We can do it now, without any alliance.

different rewarding

we have tracks, pips, and great rewards already.

People are struggeling for so long to keep it enjoyable but its getting harder as they have been doing it for so long.

People are not struggeling, If someone bored - is happen no matter have we new balance changes, map or etc.

New wvw map is not useless, people like to fight in a different space other than the same keep/the same spots everytime. Also i would suggest getting one more open field like place since that is most wanted for fighting. People are really getting bored fighting for example on the same bridge in the same hill keep every time. Like you said graphics don't really matter as everyone has to put it on the lowest settings because the servers are already so bad (not changed either) , but fresh spots to fight do matter

This is the worst perspective of view you can give. You simply don't care about the game mode. Again i made the point that the people have been carrying this content for so many years even though anet has not helped them at all, by saying "you can do a king of the hill event with your guild" it only goes to show that the people again have to carry anets content in wvw. Also, you can't do that just with your guild as it makes no sense. There is no motivation to hold a tower for a long time and when you dont make an event for such a "king of the hill" event people will simply not care as much which decreases fighting quality.

Then for the rewards. I would like the reward system to be more based on the player versus player aspect of the game. So for example make a kill event week where the guild that relatively gets the most kills per guild member in one week wins and with that also wins a reward. Doing this people will have a good/ better reason to really play better since it pays off playing better, right now you can just play like a trashcan and it does not matter at all except for maybe 10 more lootbags (yey).

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

New wvw map is not useless, people like to fight in a different space other than the same keep/the same spots everytime.

Hm, the 2 Maps wvw got (Dessert border & EotM) tell a different story. Both had a lot of new idea's and got done with much love for details, but both only got a kitten-storm in the forum. I would never do another map for WvW after that.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dayra.7405 said:

New wvw map is not useless, people like to fight in a different space other than the same keep/the same spots everytime.

Hm, the 2 Maps wvw got (Dessert border & EotM) tell a different story. Both had a lot of new idea's and got done with much love for details, but both only got a kitten-storm in the forum. I would never do another map for WvW after that.

That is probably the most oversimplified and misinformed statement I’ve read today.

Congratulations.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭

alliances will very likely come with the next expansion

• KryTiKaL.3125KryTiKaL.3125 Member ✭✭✭✭

@trixantea.1230 said:
    alliances will very likely come with the next expansion

Don't implant that idea into your own head. You don't know that, it hasn't been hinted at once and it is more along the lines of being unlikely as opposed to being anywhere in the vicinity of "likely". There are some people thinking Alliance Battles or some version of the old Faction based PvP stuff will make a return like the stuff we got in GW1 Factions. I highly doubt any of that will be a thing, it could be, but thats too much of a low hanging fruit for ANet so they will entirely avoid doing it. Just like GvG is an obvious thing as a PvP mode for a sequel to a game called Guild Wars whose most, arguably, popular PvP mode was GvG. 8 years later...still nothing.

The thing that bothers me the most about ANet...is their communication, or lack of it, however it isn't even just that part of it that bothers me. I think what bothers me the most, and what might be very indicative of their overall approach to communication, is that they never acknowledge that they need to do better. I cannot think of a single time I have read or heard them personally acknowledge that they needed to do better with anything relating to the game and their content updates.

Nothing to do with "We need to do better at rolling out these balance updates" or "Our last update didn't do X any favors so we hope to get your feedback and do better next time" or "We need to do better at meeting the expectations of quality for our content for our community" or "We need to do better at communicating with the community on our goals, intentions and development status of content". All I've ever seen is "We have some exciting things planned!" or "We're all very excited for what is to come!".

It kind of feels like ANet is suffering from their own ego, as a company, so much so that it is stunting their ability to actually grow this game, to have it evolve and do better. Mind you, ego doesn't necessarily mean arrogance or narcissism or anything negative like that. Everyone has an ego, what matters is if you're listening too much to it because that can be damaging.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

That is probably the most oversimplified and misinformed statement I’ve read today.

Congratulations.

Doesn't have to be complex to be accurate. People in wvw forums are pretty simple.

Nerf them, buff me, gimme fat loot.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Chaarliee.2307 said:

ANET is already laying the groundwork

• kamikharzeeh.8016kamikharzeeh.8016 Member ✭✭✭

yeah new content and updating of current one and mechanics (heavy reduction of the npc-animals numbers and all set to green so non-aggro to nobody) would be heavily required.

PoF map still not existing, EotM still not updated and made a regular map.

for Red Border: it could be re-worked, so it would be made smaller. fightwise people mainly hate that it's just too huge, walking from one side of the map to the other takes quite some time.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:
    yeah new content and updating of current one and mechanics (heavy reduction of the npc-animals numbers and all set to green so non-aggro to nobody) would be heavily required.

PoF map still not existing, EotM still not updated and made a regular map.

for Red Border: it could be re-worked, so it would be made smaller. fightwise people mainly hate that it's just too huge, walking from one side of the map to the other takes quite some time.

It it doesnt take much time (especially not when the shortcuts are active). The problem is and always has been the the fact that the towers and keeps doesnt naturally connect. If anything, there should have been about 4-6 more towers and about as many more camps on the map. And maybe even an additional central SM style keep. If you are just looking at "its too huge" you might as well complain over EB too... yet no one seem to be bothered there.

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• Lalary.3561Lalary.3561 Member ✭✭

@Dayra.7405 said:
    Whenever something new came, be it a new map, gliding, mounts or whatever the complaints where much louder then the Applaus. It simply doesn’t make sense to put effort into wvw.

Then maybe Anet should actually listen to real dedicated WvW players next time rather than trying to attract noncompetive players and turn WvW maps into non-stop happy k-train zones with no "gankers" on horizon.

• Waffler.1257Waffler.1257 Member ✭✭✭

Would be nice if there was a reason to actually win, Anet spent years adjusting how the scoring works and I have no idea why. Every week it's just your random group of servers fighting a different random group of servers, they used to give you PvE bonuses based on how well you did in WvW, but then they got rid of that. Anet also used to give you a couple extra rank up chests at the end of the week if your server won, but I can't even remember the last time I received extra rank up chests so I guess they got rid of that too. Over the last 5 years the only new content that has been added to WvW is a badly implemented mount.

edited June 27, 2020

@Lalary.3561 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:
    Whenever something new came, be it a new map, gliding, mounts or whatever the complaints where much louder then the Applaus. It simply doesn’t make sense to put effort into wvw.

Then maybe Anet should actually listen to real dedicated WvW players next time rather than trying to attract noncompetive players and turn WvW maps into non-stop happy k-train zones with no "gankers" on horizon.

Haha, that happened as these "real dedicated WvW players" made so much noise in the forum that the "non-stop happy k-train" on EotM gets to much Loot and more than the real WvW players and also attracts urgently needed players away from WvW where they where urgently needed.
    ANet listend to these "real dedicated WvW players" don't gave the loot needed for legendary armor in EotM, and now you got them all (as wanted), but ofc they continue to do their "non-stop happy k-train" just now in WvW instead of EotM. :)

edited June 27, 2020

@Waffler.1257 said:
    Would be nice if there was a reason to actually win,

Obviously (at least for EU) there is already enough reason to win, such that already enough (to disturb the balance Relinking achieves) players choose the winning team of the next 2 month and transfer to it for 500+ gems each week after a Relink.

More reasons to win will only lead to more pay2win via transfers

edited June 27, 2020

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Lalary.3561 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

Haha, that happened as these "real dedicated WvW players" made so much noise in the forum that the "non-stop happy k-train" on EotM gets to much Loot and more than the real WvW players and also attracts urgently needed players away from WvW where they where urgently needed.
    ANet listend to these "real dedicated WvW players" don't gave the loot needed for legendary armor in EotM, and now you got them all (as wanted), but ofc they continue to do their "non-stop happy k-train" just now in WvW instead of EotM. :)

Yeah, we dont want happy players in our WvW!

Wait.

• Hi. Which server?

• Zhaid Zhem.6508Zhaid Zhem.6508 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if people talk about Alliance like a running gag since ~2016 or if they're serious.

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Reconsider? I'm not even sure they really considered it to begin with. Seems like there is no one passionate about WvW left at Anet. They still havent fixed the broken DBL wall segment.

The sad fact is that NOBODY has been passionate about WvW at Anet since Mike Fergusson and Matt Witter. #maintenancemode

Welcome to Arenanet, where the company Motto is, "It's just a job".

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Waffler.1257 said:

Obviously (at least for EU) there is already enough reason to win, such that already enough (to disturb the balance Relinking achieves) players choose the winning team of the next 2 month and transfer to it for 500+ gems each week after a Relink.

what? especially for EU here, there's about Zero reason to win, outside of "manipulating" matchups. usually servers decide before the matchup goes even live if they wanna tank or win or stay. at least the core servers do that, the links obviously have to transfer around if they want a specific matchup.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

It it doesnt take much time (especially not when the shortcuts are active). The problem is and always has been the the fact that the towers and keeps doesnt naturally connect. If anything, there should have been about 4-6 more towers and about as many more camps on the map. And maybe even an additional central SM style keep. If you are just looking at "its too huge" you might as well complain over EB too... yet no one seem to be bothered there.

yeah IF the shortcuts are active, and only for the owning factions... the terrain is very hill-dominated, a bit too much even i'd say.

and any time we fought there, running back to the fighting spots been just tedious. ofc, best would be if you never die, just with a potato PC and even worse web that's harder than one with a good equipment might guess. fighting tags often even skip desert border for this very reason.

I'd also have this silly "borderlands bloodlust" gone in its current form. it should get activated when you're outnumbered only, map-wide. the ruins are just annoying in their current form.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020

Remove the full blobs(queue) where 90% uses ministrelswould be a great adition to WvW.
    Minstrell stats needs the same treatment like celestial stats had.

Minstrells Scourges
    Minstrell Tempest,
    Minstrell Spekllbreakers
    Minstrell Scrappers
    Minstrell Firebrands
    Found some very tanky reapers (3k power on rev hiting 75 damage seriously??)
    Minstrells chronos

Removing toughness from minstrell and add more to healing power and some other stat would be a great adition.
    I hate to see very bad players being carried due sheer numbers barrier and ministrel blobs.

• subversiontwo.7501subversiontwo.7501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020

@Aeolus.3615 said:
    Remove the full blobs(queue) where 90% uses ministrelswould be a great adition to WvW.
    Removing toughness from minstrell and add more to healing power and some other stat would be a great adition.

I hate to see very bad players being carried due sheer numbers barrier and ministrel blobs.

I always find it funny when people say that bad players are carried by tanky builds because being able to focus your damage is an important aspect of being considered good as a group.

Good players tend to work against the norms. When power burst was OP they would find inventive ways to tank. When tank is considered OP they will find inventive ways to optimize their damage. When people here whined about boon-trains in 2016 hardly any of the good groups played them. That, of course, doesn't mean that we can't discuss the balance of things, balance issues do exist, but all this whining about "bads" and norms just muddles the discussion.

• zinkz.7045zinkz.7045 Member ✭✭✭

@Lalary.3561 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

WvW players aren't competitive. Which is why they are playing WvW, something that as a skilled, competitive PvP game mode is an absolute joke.

edited June 28, 2020

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Lalary.3561 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

WvW players aren't competitive. Which is why they are playing WvW, something that as a skilled, competitive PvP game mode is an absolute joke.

Zinkz, the Caysadia of player-trolling B)

Have you heard that they nerfed Shattered Aegis?

edited June 28, 2020

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Waffler.1257 said:

what? especially for EU here, there's about Zero reason to win, outside of "manipulating" matchups. usually servers decide before the matchup goes even live if they wanna tank or win or stay. at least the core servers do that, the links obviously have to transfer around if they want a specific matchup.

If you would put the blinder of your own mood aside and look around, you could see, that after the relink end of may first FSP went from very high to full and afterwards UW went from medium to high and this produced enough WTJ-overstacking to dominate T1 from last week till next relink.

And this WTJ-overstacking happen after every relink.

So there are people that PAY to WIN WvW every 2 month. Don‘t ask me why, but they do.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020

You got to figure out how to win in the mode you enjoy because not many will play the mode based on your own rules. I mean at what point can we force people to participate in our perception?

I.e. when I see a blob waiting to fight us when I know we're only 20, we'd port to take some camp tower elsewhere.

Or when we bait a Zerg to our choke, why would they go in if they know the moment they do, it's death?

And I can't even choose to push a fight even if my guys want to when I know we don't have the classes to fight the opposing team. All good coms can predict the near future based on 15 minutes or less or a team's performance.

So it's best to choose a strategy that is universally applicable. :3. Of course one team will have to lose.

An organized team will have the following:

1. Smoke fields (ranger/engi/thief)
    2. Well scourges
    3. Winds warriors
    4. Alacrity renegades
    5. Quickness firebrands
    6. Some form of pulls i.e. mesmer
    7. Juggler/perifery players

Of course players have a lot of alts and those alts cant sustain or survive without siege fights x camp fights vs guards .

One strate i want to do right now is have 15 to 20 players playing firebrands minstrels to tank the enemy and the rest a cloud of players knowing how to move fast. A coordinated body block

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:

I always find it funny when people say that bad players are carried by tanky builds because being able to focus your damage is an important aspect of being considered good as a group. Why are you and your friends so bad that you can't kill a toothless minstrel blob? B)

Good players tend to work against the norms. When power burst was OP they would find inventive ways to tank. When tank is considered OP they will find inventive ways to optimize their damage. When people here whined about boon-trains in 2016 hardly any of the good groups played them. That, of course, doesn't mean that we can't discuss the balance of things, balance issues do exist, but all this whining about "bads" and norms just muddles the discussion.

The more we tiered up worse is the skill of the players in NA WvW, and the number of mistrells/tanky blobs increases by alot, seriously by really alot....!

Thats the thing, we, when we loose and we are beated by better guilds we know when we loose to decent groups, if we got countered or if the loose came form out mistakes. ATM best blob means stack sheer numbers with tanky sustains with perma boons, and a tons of scourges, srappers and FB's, and even when removing boons it gets added again, atm there is an abuse of the MIN MAX stats effect that is causing issues to the game, players should focus on stats for the roles not using max sustain possible with perma alacrity on sustain build, perma quickness on the ovestacked firebrands, theres quite some things atm that are overshadowing the possible improvement of thergameplay.

For my observation a somewhat decent guild based on dps bombs a heavy bunker blob group they could sustain quite easilly w/o dodging much due tons of barrier and oversdtacking boons **, note that minstrells stats were added to the game when the damage ouput was very strong to( was actually easy to get carrier with dps at that time), reason minstrell was good for that gameplay.**

Im not asking to removal of minstrell, but toning down toughness or removing it for other stats would be a good change to the gameplay it self.

Any group with such sustain is NOT HARD to do a well huge blob/queue bomb in places to hit targets, most players wont even notice what is happening outside the frontline. Cause they know their damage to them is minimal, this isnt being good(even a bad players can leech from such gameplay, and wont show if a group it that good when under damage pressure) is just finding a way to win w/o most even know whats hapenign in the batlefield and still win, thats the real issues on fully tanky blobs.
    Making a well made bomb to targets where u risk to gain the rewards is skilled, if there isnt risk theres just the reward ...and game should be balanced towards that risk for reward, even if a groups plays soly to counter centain group tactics, cause that will create the rock paper effect*

IF something similiar to celestial happens to minstrell maybe those groups will show how really good they are actually, if gets worse or better to them that with them.

edited June 28, 2020

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Lalary.3561 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:

Just telling the truth.

It is a game mode that has:

• tryhards vs casuals
    • players with thousands of hours vs those with a hundred
    • 18 years old vs 60 year olds
    • does not even have the same number of people on each team

It is probably the least competitive PvP I've ever seen, as is the playerbase.

Twelve year old school kids at lunch break who choose two captains to alternate picks for teams for football and then switch players mid match if one team is winning too easily, demonstrate far more competitiveness than the laughable WvW playerbase. (who for the most part do the opposite, showing their true colours)

You want to see the reaction of an actual competitive PvP gamer to WvW, then go find Helseth's stream where he goes into WvW after they added the ability to queue for PvP from there. He goes to EB, ends up at a duelling spot, 1v1s a warrior, wins, then says something along the lines of "this is stupid I could just kite him", then promptly goes back to PvP.

The most competitive thing in WvW is seeing who has the highest level of Dunning-Kruger.

Which incidentally is a big reason it failed, decent PvP requires a certain level of competitiveness, WvW lacks the mechanisms to produce that, so most of the time you get trash tier PvP, that isn't much fun to anyone who isn't, well...

edited June 28, 2020

@zinkz.7045 said:

Just telling the truth.

I know you are, it is just funny to me that you feel a need to constantly point that out :3 .

I mean, as far as the game mode itself goes the mode was not designed to be competetive while sPvP was. Nothing is supported so whatever rules apply to impromtu content (like duels or skirmishes) are only gentlemanly rules and if more structured events are made by players they are still only player-made.

However, if one was to argue the point for the sake of arguing it, then there are obviously competetive players in WvW despite whatever Helseth felt about it. Several of the top sPvP teams have players in them who frequent WvW (Sind, Crann etc.).

Also, sPvP in its tournament form is gravitating towards TDM now, finally. That has always been the most interesting competetive format to most of us in this game. That is also a competetive form that has more overlap between sPvP and WvW, with potential to attract more players from both modes than 'rotating for flags' does, especially considering that the combat system in this game is arguably better at a party-level than at a sole player-level.

WvW has always had GvG, and while sometimes a competition, it obviously has never been fully competetive (it needs a larger pool, more traction and some support to become that), but that at its heart is still TDM so the same concept as the current sPvP tournaments (or WoW Arenas or whatever else that is more competetive). Then scale will affect how people receive it as a viewer 'sport' but that goes for any sport. Team sports premier different skillsets. Ronaldo is fast for a footballer and Bolt can dribble for a sprinter.

Ultimately, that ties into what I believe that most people mean when they talk about being "competetive" in WvW (looking past players and player-made competition). It isn't as much about competing in a competition as it is to match up to available content. It may be a misnomer but it isn't so far-fetched that the dots can't be connected. It is being competetive in the sense of rising to the occassion and interact with whatever content is on the table.

That's also one of the things that appeal to me, at least in theory, that all these things that you list that are not competetive in terms of sport are what can potentially make WvW appealing because the diversity offer different routes to match up. For example, the worse can "compete" (as in match up, interact to produce content) with the better by padding more numbers. Sadly, the mode isn't perhaps even that anymore since alot of the diversity has been lost.

Still, better overlap in TDM and fixing the structure of the sandbox could reverse some of the negative trends and has the potential for more.

• ollbirtan.2915ollbirtan.2915 Member ✭✭✭

Warclaw skins anyone?

edited June 28, 2020

@zinkz.7045 said:

Just telling the truth.

I know you are, it is just funny to me that you feel a need to constantly point that out :3 .

Constantly? I've made 9 posts in total on the forum this year (well 10 now), given how often one or another WvW role player bangs on about skill or competitiveness, I think I am being quite restrained these days. :)

the only competitive situation in WvW really is Guildfights. those are difficult enough to get, because many servers' comms run away across the whole map or add in on happening fights. getting that on even numbers only works if the commanders first made an appointment to fight. and even then, some just don't show up.

@zinkz.7045 what kinda pointless comment is that though? he wins one duel and thinks he's too good for this? not that we need duelers, really. but i've won several random 1v1's with zergbuilds, sometimes without half trinkets equipped etc... it's a complete diceroll who you fight there

pvpers have other skills, but they're mostly not useful for WvW. killing one guy overall doesn't give you much when you're in a 15 vs 35 fight etc. unless u can repeat it long, and pvpers aren't used to long fights at all. i barely played pvp, but those who present their plat ranks in wvw are usually not more of a challenge than your casual cele scrouge pug.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:
    the only competitive situation in WvW really is Guildfights.

HA!