Participation for long duels

Banzai.8064

I was in wvw fighting an ele with my mes over a ruin. It was an equal match; neither of us died. Eventually he got tired and ran off. I check my participation and it had gone from 4 to 1. It felt all kinds of bad. I was here, playing the game against someone who was evenly matched with me... and I was punished for it. Why does wvw say "don't have even fights for objectives, just join a zerg, outnumber and stomp new players". There should be a system in check to pause participation decay. Are doing x dps? yes? okay, we won't throw away your hard work. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Initially, I think participation is correlated to giving points to your server. Thus, dueling another player (and not killing him) brings no actual value. It is one of the few discrepancy between what the game mode was intended for, and how players enjoy it. I wouldn't mind at all giving participation for simply breathing some life in a map :)

@"KrHome.1920" said:If two opponents can endlessly repeat their skill rotations there is clearly a lack of damage in their builds.

Why should you be rewarded for playing a bunker? Your participation should even drop faster!

Don't be a troll, many guilds run support builds in their squad. Those builds are designed for team play not solo fighting.I run a support Firebrand and I clearly have no problems with participation: gw026.jpgI'm simply pointing out that this situation does happen, and it shouldn't be punishing for the player when it does.

Perhaps they should rename the "participation" part - players are beginning to think that just being on the map is the same as contributing.

Consider how a "long duel" with no victor actually affects the outcome of the WVW match - has anything been achieved or changed by your actions? Now consider 1000 "long duels with no victor - have they made a difference?

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Why does wvw say "don't have even fights for objectives, just join a zerg, outnumber and stomp new players".But you didnt fight for an objective, that was the point. A 20 minute duel inside an objective would have kept your participation, because you would have gotten the defense event.

Either way, no, participation does not consider just "being" in WvW to be participation. Had you dueled for 20 minutes and - heaven forbid - died you would still not have participated in WvW by Anets definition. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

I had a situation a while ago where I was just running lazily around, got T4 participation, hopped to one of the ABL, went to our spawn camp to defend it... and promptly got slaughtered by 15 enemies. So, no chance there (no one else on the map). Hopped to DBL instead. Went to the spawn camp that the enemy had and... defended by several enemies. Fought a while but never got close enough to even get a mob down before they killed me. Sigh. Ok. Go to our tower... it gets capped before I reach outer. 5+ enemies hops out, we fight for a while but eventually they killed me. Respawn, run toward south camp, capped by some random guy as I see the circle.

During all this, by Anets definition, I did not participate in WvW in any shape or form and had gone from T4 to T2 participation.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Why does wvw say "don't have even fights for objectives, just join a zerg, outnumber and stomp new players".But you
didnt
fight for an objective, that was the point. A 20 minute duel inside an objective would have kept your participation, because you would have gotten the defense event.

Either way, no, participation does not consider just "being" in WvW to be participation. Had you dueled for 20 minutes and - heaven forbid -
died
you would
still
not have participated in WvW by Anets definition. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

I had a situation a while ago where I was just running lazily around, got T4 participation, hopped to one of the ABL, went to our spawn camp to defend it... and promptly got slaughtered by 15 enemies. So, no chance there (no one else on the map). Hopped to DBL instead. Went to the spawn camp that the enemy had and... defended by several enemies. Fought a while but never got close enough to even get a mob down before they killed me. Sigh. Ok. Go to our tower... it gets capped before I reach outer. 5+ enemies hops out, we fight for a while but eventually they killed me. Respawn, run toward south camp, capped by some random guy as I see the circle.

During all this, by Anets definition,
I did not participate in WvW in any shape or form
and had gone from T4 to T2 participation.

I think you might have quoted the wrong person, I wasn't the original poster.

The unfo> @LetoII.3782 said:

If you enjoyed the fight, was it not rewarding?

If you want loot, add some damage so duels don't last all night

Pretty much this, solo roaming is more for fun than participation rewards compared to running with a zerg. Unfortunately most solutions could be exploited in some way without a fundamental redesign of the participation system, and _that_would require a lot of development time they probably want to spend somewhere else.

@Mal.1670 said:The unfo> @LetoII.3782 said:

If you enjoyed the fight, was it not rewarding?

If you want loot, add some damage so duels don't last all night

Pretty much this, solo roaming is more for fun than participation rewards compared to running with a zerg. Unfortunately most solutions could be exploited in some way without a fundamental redesign of the participation system, and _that_would require a lot of development time they probably want to spend somewhere else.

And yet, it's still really easy to maintain max participation as a solo roamer. The advantage you get running with a zerg is killing/flipping more stuff, and the drops, etc. that comes with that. Participation is no higher though.

As a committed solo roamer, I personally don't see any need to expand the range of activities that grant participation. It's already easy enough.

Fighting someone in a random spot in WvW isn't the same as participating in the war. Thankfully, WvW isn't like some open world events, that you get participation just from having passed the event area recently.What you did is no different from those guys that go to the grassy area north of the orchard camp to duel. None of those guys are helping their world, and Guild Halls are just as good for what they're doing...

I mean. Its a tough sell. What you did did not contribute to your server, you were just having a bit of personal fun.That said, I wouldn't be against a 5s pause on participation decay anytime you touch an enemy. Those longer fights do happen and sometimes they won't let you break combat.

~ Kovu

@"Banzai.8064" said:participation; nounthe action of taking part in something.

contribution; nounthe part played by a person or thing in bringing about a result or helping something to advance.

different words, different meanings

Semantics have their place somewhere. Not here I think.

The lesson is that you shouldn't take forever 1v1 (with or without an objective) as others have pointed out less than graciously. Not ask ANET to give you "participation." Yes, it sucks that your time felt wasted. So learn not to do that again. I wouldn't hope for ANET to take action on this, because it won't happen...for WvW.

@"Banzai.8064" said:participation; nounthe action of taking part in something.

contribution; nounthe part played by a person or thing in bringing about a result or helping something to advance.

Correct, the action of dueling 1:1 for 10 minutes doesn't constitute "contributing" to your team. You get credit for successes, not draws.

Archived