Why doesn't WvW use sPvP's standardization?

LUST.2305

Other than they were built separately...

While build diversity is somewhat limited in sPvP because of the Conquest gamemode, but there's a lot of balance since gear is standardized. However, in WvW, you can be very diverse with builds but are burdened by PvE stats which make a lot of builds excel far beyond they are supposed to.

If WvW used the same gear standardization as sPvP, wouldn't that make it much to play around with the PvP elements that are restricted by the Conquest sPvP mode? Since WvW is just so much more open than sPvP, most (if not all) builds would still work but the cheesier ones wouldn't be as broken due to more standardization of gear. If sPvP and WvW are already sharing patch notes, wouldn't that just be more reason to do this?

Less stat combinations = less playstyles, no thanks.Imo brokenness mostly comes from the skills/traits not the stats .I would do the exact opposit and introduce more stat combination freedom, a system wherein you can spend a set amount of points on different stats and the only restriction would be a max stat cap for each attribute.

@OP I believe the answer to your question is essentially this: MMO players, particularly the ones who enjoy open world anything goes type game modes, do not really want complete balance because it's boring, they want enough diversity of choice that there's always a possibility that they or someone else will come up with the next great "overperforming" build or comp so that they can play that build or comp until it gets nerfed and the cycle repeats. MMO developers understand this and so they don't worry as much about perfect balance for game modes like WvW and instead try to give players as many options as possible and see what players make of it and then they just try to whack-a-mole tune the stuff that gets complained about the most during any given balancing cycle.

Perfect balance is fundamentally boring to open world type players. Potential imbalance is infinitely more interesting and fun for most people who play this sort of game mode.

@Israel.7056 said:@OP I believe the answer to your question is essentially this: MMO players, particularly the ones who enjoy open world anything goes type game modes, do not really want complete balance because it's boring, they want enough diversity of choice that there's always a possibility that they or someone else will come up with the next great "overperforming" build or comp so that they can play that build or comp until it gets nerfed and the cycle repeats. MMO developers understand this and so they don't worry as much about perfect balance for game modes like WvW and instead try to give players as many options as possible and see what players make of it and then they just try to whack-a-mole tune the stuff that gets complained about the most during any given balancing cycle.

Perfect balance is fundamentally boring to open world type players. Potential imbalance is infinitely more interesting and fun for most people who play this sort of game mode.

This exactly.

PvP in this game is a joke. I dont know why people think the amulet system somehow creates a better environment with less broken builds. PvP is full of that crap. Balance is a joke regardless of gamemode. Aside from the PvP and WvW are completely separate in many aspects, so incorporting such a system could never work.

@santenal.1054 said:Less stat combinations = less playstyles, no thanks.Imo brokenness mostly comes from the skills/traits not the stats .I would do the exact opposit and introduce more stat combination freedom, a system wherein you can spend a set amount of points on different stats and the only restriction would be a max stat cap for each attribute.

Thats actually how the first trait system worked in GW2

As you traited up, it effected the stats you had. You only had so many and could only max out two, with the other bring partial.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@santenal.1054 said:Less stat combinations = less playstyles, no thanks.Imo brokenness mostly comes from the skills/traits not the stats .I would do the exact opposit and introduce more stat combination freedom, a system wherein you can spend a set amount of points on different stats and the only restriction would be a max stat cap for each attribute.

As you traited up, it effected the stats you had. You only had so many and could only max out two, with the other bring partial.

I suggested points that aren't tied to traitlines. (to make myself more clear) ALL non base stats should be allowed to be spread by the player.

@santenal.1054 said:

I suggested points that aren't tied to traitlines. (to make myself more clear) ALL non base stats should be allowed to be spread however one would like.

Mmm... Might need to cap it. So you cant just dump it all into one stat.

But at the same time. I like the armor being the determining factor, as it makes it easier to guess what they are wearing if you see abnormalties.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

Mmm... Might need to cap it. So you cant just dump it all into one stat.

Yes, the Max stat cap.

@"santenal.1054" " said:the only restriction would be a max stat cap for each attribute

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:But at the same time. I like the armor being the determining factor, as it makes it easier to guess what they are wearing if you see abnormalties.

Hmm, I dont know what you mean by this.

@Israel.7056 said:MMO developers understand this and so they don't worry as much about perfect balance for game modes like WvW and instead try to give players as many options as possible and see what players make of it and then they just try to whack-a-mole tune the stuff that gets complained about the most during any given balancing cycle.

Plz let stealth access and Malicious Sneak Attack damage be nerfed from DE next because of this. I'm tired of people crying cheese when I outplay them just because I'm a DE, even though I'm not even playing the cheesy builds. Salt is nice, but it's better when it's related to the fight. @_@

The sPvP amulet stat system is literally the worst thing about pvp. The best thing about WvW is the ability to make all sorts of builds that are impossible to make in sPvP. Case in point a guardian has a ridiculously low healthpool and so is limited to mostly using amulets in pvp that have vitality. In WvW you can mix stats to get just enough hp to be comfortable.

If anything pvp should be changed so you can select "Stats" for weapons, armor and trinkets. That way you can blend some of the current amulet stats to create more build diversity.

So for me in answer to you question.. NO x1,000,000,000,000

Open world PvP in any game that I am aware of is based around the concept of building your character from nothing to great. That includes build(traits and skills), leveling(WvW ranks), experience(time spent learning) and gear(crafted/found/traded).

Builds you can find on meta battle,WvW ranks don't affect the direct player vs player aspect,Experience gap is closed by all the lame builds available,Gear is already remarkably easy to obtain for exotic and ascended has been the new joke tier for at least 2 years.

That will ruin game mode and economy in so many ways. There should be a reason for people to gear up for game mod they like. sPvP used to have gear IIRC. It got equalized so everyone can join. WvW is different matter. If we go by this logic , Raids/Fractals should have build-in amulets and we just can run naked in open world.

@LUST.7241 said:Other than they were built separately...

While build diversity is somewhat limited in sPvP because of the Conquest gamemode, but there's a lot of balance since gear is standardized. However, in WvW, you can be very diverse with builds but are burdened by PvE stats which make a lot of builds excel far beyond they are supposed to.

If WvW used the same gear standardization as sPvP, wouldn't that make it much to play around with the PvP elements that are restricted by the Conquest sPvP mode? Since WvW is just so much more open than sPvP, most (if not all) builds would still work but the cheesier ones wouldn't be as broken due to more standardization of gear. If sPvP and WvW are already sharing patch notes, wouldn't that just be more reason to do this?

I agree 100%, have for a while. I can't get new people into the mode because they don't want to grind out the 6th set of armor and weapons for it when the builds change, and how much extra stats the vets have over them with Ascended.

I think they should use a PvP like system, except with the following additons;1) The infusion slots you have still count for WvW infusions.2) Should be an amulet slot for selecting Trinket Stats, and an Armor Slot for selecting the Weapon/Armor stats, so you can so some mix and match/hybrid stuff.

Nope. There's a reason people enjoy the gear grind in so many games. I've had so much fun working for the gear my characters to have, and tinkering with different stat combinations. And it's not like it's too hard to get a good set of gear - I had to spend some time working on my first set of Marshal armor for my Ele through reward tracks, but the sense of accomplishment when I finally got all the pieces was awesome. As for the later characters, I already saved up some Ascended mats, gold, memory of battles, grandmaster marks, exotic armor boxes, etc. to gear them up faster.

What I want to say is it gives me another goal to work towards in the game - one that I myself really enjoy and is not too much of a chore, especially when compared to other games.

Archived