[Spoiler] Way to bring back a certain dead boss.

Tekoneiric.6817

I understand why they killed Joko but he was an interesting character. There is a way they could bring him back with restrictions. As far as I'm aware they never explained the origin of the djinns. They could bring Joko back as a djinn. The djinn look like awakened so it's possible they are what happens to powerful undead lich when their bodies are destroyed. A djinn Joko could be bonded to the place where he was destroyed or he could be part of what is making Aurene tired. She could cough him up as a djinn bonding him to that location.

They could leave him dead but if they bound him to a specific location that only the commander and a few others knew about they could use him as a information resource while the commander has to deal with the attitude to get questionable info. It would even be funny if somehow he was prevented from saying his own name thus preventing others from knowing he's Joko.

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Just let him rest, it was time for him to go. He have dominated Elona for far too long, and they can rebuild without him.

Indeed. It would make the whole third episode meaningless if they brought him back. The story and its outcome are good the way they are. Also, the whole "rebuilding Elona now that its tyrant is gone" is a far more interesting plot than the return of said tyrant. The current attempts of alliances, the free Awakened, that's all stuff that harbors potential for good story-telling. No need to recycle any "same old, same old" plot.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Just let him rest, it was time for him to go. He have dominated Elona for far too long, and they can rebuild without him.

Indeed. It would make the whole third episode meaningless if they brought him back. The story and its outcome are good the way they are. Also, the whole "rebuilding Elona now that its tyrant is gone" is a far more interesting plot than the return of said tyrant. The current attempts of alliances, the free Awakened, that's all stuff that harbors potential for good story-telling. No need to recycle any "same old, same old" plot.

Have to agree with you, I just dont think theyll expand further on the "rebuilding" thing after season 4, im hoping im wrong though.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I understand why they killed Joko but he was an interesting character. There is a way they could bring him back with restrictions. As far as I'm aware they never explained the origin of the djinns. They could bring Joko back as a djinn. The djinn look like awakened so it's possible they are what happens to powerful undead lich when their bodies are destroyed. A djinn Joko could be bonded to the place where he was destroyed or he could be part of what is making Aurene tired. She could cough him up as a djinn bonding him to that location.

Since GW 1 We killed 2 x Gods, 2 x Shiro , 2 x elder dragons, 2 x Palawa Joko the joke and now you're suggesting we kill him a third time...AYKM?I know Anet lacks Imagination but to ask them to create a character a 3rd time would be to confirm it, if they went ahead with it.In Jahai there are opportunities for you to revisit and kill him as many time as you want, be my guest. :p

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:They could leave him dead but if they bound him to a specific location that only the commander and a few others knew about they could use him as a information resource ...

Joko is undead. Leaving him dead does not mean leaving him unable to cause havoc. The last time (GW: NIghtfall) one of my characters tried to use Joko as an information resource, he got loose, ran away, and resumed his attempts to dominate Elona. After, oh, ~250 years, that character's descendants had to deal with him.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I intensely dislike the idea of bringing back characters simply for the sake of bringing them back. It's a trope that's been overused repeatedly since humans started telling each other stories. I'd rather see ANet give up the comfort of the familiar and be more creative with new villains (and heroes).

In LS4.4, they actual did a good job with one specific character, who made a return for specific plot purposes & to punctuate the evolution of a specific NPC's story arc. And yet, even that character was clear that it's a bad idea to revive a character just for the sake of having them around again:

! > Braham Eirsson: ... Is it really too late for us?! > Eir: Yes, Braham. It's too late. I'm dead.

(The voice actor did an amazing job with their cameo, especially nailing the delivery of the quote above.)

As an update, here's what Tom Abernathy has to say about a potential return of a certain dead boss:

In September 2018, ANet Tom wroteThe undead bastard got masticated, digested, and broken down into constituent molecules in Aurene’s magical dragon tummy. Even Joko can’t come back from that (and I’m not sure how we would explain it even if we wanted him to). Obviously there are narrative devices by which a deceased character can make a reappearance—a certain dead Norn has showed up twice this season alone—and gods know we love writing him, but, honestly, it’s as definite a fact as anything in storytelling ever is that Joko’s days of Palawaing around in the here-and-now are over.

And

I understand why people wonder whether Joko is really dead or not, since there are a myriad of ways for dead characters to show up again in our game, not to mention we’re talking about a guy known for coming back from the dead.

But we designed his death in as final a way as we could, because we didn’t want there to be any ambiguity about it; we don’t want players being distracted by something like that when we’re clearly focused at the moment on Kralkatorrik. I like Vince Gilligan and co.’s habit of writing themselves into corners so that they have to be inventive to write their way out of them, and our team tries to operate in a similar way. So you should believe me when I say: never say never, but we have absolutely no plans at the moment to bring Joko back in-fiction. (I won’t preclude the possibility of him showing up in an RC event like a Halloween festival, because that could be a lot of fun, but it would only be for that purpose, not in the world of our story.)

(emphasis and highlight added)

Archived